Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating site or hookups only?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Dating site or hookups only?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
In my limited experience with online dating there have been one or two looking for the FWB and were quite upfront about that. As for the hit and quit, it happens, sometime both parties are glad not to see each other again.

from what I hear paid or unpaid sites, they are all the same with a mix of people with varying agendas and motives. Just like real life.

BlondeApriLShowers
Msg: 117
Dating site or hookups only?
Posted: 5/2/2016 8:44:06 AM

You're welcome. My situation is not unlike yours. I chose to be responsible for the children, two of which have mild autism. I won't go into it because this cesspool isn't the place one gets any respect for doing the right thing. Instead we are belittled, told we are self-entitled pieces of A$$ not worthy of a cup of coffee....If I am the least bit selfish I have earned the right to want what I want for me.

Thank you, I decided at some point who I was, how I treated people & that I lied to be treated the same in return. Yes, it weeded some out, but I also changed in how I engaged w/ some people. We train others how to treat us.

At the end of the day, I know I did my personal best. And now I am reaping the rewards from a lot of sacrifices in the past.
 BlondeApriLShowers
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/2/2016 8:45:04 AM
oops..

Thank you, I decided at some point who I was, how I treated people & that I liked to be treated the same in return.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2016 11:11:59 AM

And still you will get people coming to you that are the opposite of what you are looking for.

I think it's because, as far as the 'market' is concerned, one realizes that gals who have Long Term or type of relationship 'serious' -- in the end, it doesn't mean they're not going to want to have fun. Online, a good amount of people tend to be weary of friends/family seeing it so it's exaggerated in a wholesome way. Others, sure, want an LTR ideally and obviously sounds better as a 1-selection-only thing -- but aren't stuck to just that, as observed many times.

So to the guy purser on site, it's statistically lower chances of gals looking for LTR, but in their minds, everything's kind of low anyway -- they'll throw the spaghetti on any walls they find at least reasonably attractive and see which ones stick. Kind of like on T!nder, hitting "Yes" on every girl robotically. Trying to parse matchability via each profile to view thru takes too much time -- they'll deal with the matchability with ones where at least the ball starts rolling.
 ebolakitty
Msg: 120
Posted: 5/2/2016 11:52:55 AM

I have been called stuck up for ignoring/refusing fellas that were exactly what I wanted to avoid. Sometimes it looks like they do not read the profile or forget certain important data

Everyone tends to forget that what they say they want is unimportant. It is what the message sender wants that matters. I often wonder what it would be like if every man's inbox were stuffed with messages from fat, ugly women talking about warm, loving, sexless and grandchildren. Would there be as many unread/deletes? One of these days, you girls need to get together and make men complain about inappropriate emails instead by sending all of the smoking hot guys emails asking for "equal relationships based on mutual respect" and silly crap like that.
 letssee497
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2016 1:19:14 PM
Disagree, absolutely all the guys on here have asked to sext with me. Not like I wouldn't but everyone has been a troll.
 letssee497
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2016 1:20:07 PM
Love your answer.
 green0eye0girl
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/30/2016 7:56:31 AM
I've been told that by guys on tinder....they assume it's a free whorehouse. Some guy told me I think you're on the wrong dating site....I said no I think I'm on the wrong planet. I've contemplated paying for a site like Match, but after signing up for free (very limited access) it's enough to show it's not worth the money, they send me daily matches every day and the guys they find suitable matches for me are looking for bodytypes....Slender, About average, Athletic and toned, yeah how the hell is that a match!

Countless times I've talked to guys...they ask what are you looking for? I tell them I'm looking for someone to have fun inside and outside the bedroom...straight up and to the point, most guy will say cool me too, then as time goes by usually a few days they try and make the first date happen in the bedroom.....adios Motherf*****
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 124
Posted: 7/30/2016 8:12:27 AM

they ask what are you looking for?

Like they'd be turned off if you said sex?

Not condoning their behavior, but somebody's rewarded them for it before...
 illinigirl2168
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2016 8:36:27 AM
Maybe because of where I live, but I honestly haven't been asked to sext once. I did get a one****pic, but only 1 out of hundreds of men I've "talked" to. I guess I got a few fairly blatant messages, but very few. Nothing graphic or crude.

Also, I know I'll catch hell for his, but I everyone needs to stop with texting crap with these potential suitors. I believe it adds to these problems. I tell them to call me within the first few messages, and they either do or don't, but regardless, they know I'm serious about actually going out on a date..and therefore I have been on like 70 - 80 dates over the 13 months I was actively looking on here. REAL dates. At decent places. Only 3 could be classified as "bad" really, with guys that barely spoke. Patron is your friend during those!

I am still stunned how many on here will meet at a park or the mall or someone's house?..to me that's not a date, at all. It's a dating site, right? Sounds boring and awkward, too boot.. but I get that's just me.

btw, off topic, but it took me like 80 dates to find my current boyfriend, who is wonderful. We were both about to delete our profiles, as I had been having better luck and usually more fun meeting guys in the real world when out by myself. (yes, finally did meet a good one, SO PLEASE, DON'T GIVE UP PEOPLE! It only take ONE!) and yes, my profile is hidden, stayed on just to post here once in a while ;)
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 126
Posted: 7/30/2016 9:55:25 AM

I know I'll catch hell for his, but I everyone needs to stop with texting crap with these potential suitors.

LOL Actually no................I have been to Hell and I didn't catch you there!

LOL Read more here in the Forums, regarding "Texting". There are those who love it and some of us .............do not.

Now, is this OLD site used for dating or hook-ups?
I admit it has been nearly 2 years since I actively used POF for dating. When I did, it was for approx 4 years on and off. My dating experience/OLD site experience was ..................No more, no less, than what I allowed it to be. I controlled who I did or did not engage with, in messages, or on my phone. Date? or Hook-up?
There is no reason I can see to give other people the power to control my time.

I can choose,
"No response"= That, in of it's self is a response.
Respond politely/get a sex request=BLOCK
Respond/contact by text/sex ? =POOF!
Respond/contact by voice/meet me/sex? Hmmmm .......maybe, LOL

As an adult I choose/Engage? Yes? No? Date? Hook-up? Block? Poof?
There is no reason I can see to give other people the power to control my time.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 127
Posted: 7/30/2016 9:57:55 AM
^ When would it be appropriate to give up, please? Like, what if a person surpasses 80 "meets"? At what number would it be realistic to quit?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2016 10:07:37 AM

I've contemplated paying for a site like Match, but after signing up for free (very limited access) it's enough to show it's not worth the money, they send me daily matches every day and the guys they find suitable matches for me are looking for bodytypes....Slender, About average, Athletic and toned, yeah how the hell is that a match!

One can initially sign up for Match to fully utilize it for free for several intro days -- but one should time it right where they have a lot of free time to get a full taste test of it. Signing up for just 1 month is worth the trip, too, IMO. You shouldn't judge it all based on Daily Matches -- search. There's guys & gals of all different body types. Of course one rule of thumb, regardless of any site is that any time a gal lands an outing with a guy seemingly out of her league -- don't be shocked that he really just wants an in-the-moment situation. But if you're mostly drawn to said guys, yeah, you're going to be frustrated with online all around. You'll already get your (more tolerable) fair share of that who Are in the same league as you, as it is.

It's by no means a rarity to find a guy who doesn't want a "hit n run" experience with ya on POF and definitely Match. But the question is: What are the chances of You being attracted to said guys?

Also, I know I'll catch hell for his, but I everyone needs to stop with texting crap with these potential suitors.

I don't find anything wrong with it. Of course, I don't text conversationally much on my phone, which is more a pain... but POF & Match can be utilized on one's PC for true convo. The good part of sending messages is that it won't conflict with availabilities of the people and having to set aside time.

I tell them to call me within the first few messages, and they either do or don't, but regardless, they know I'm serious about actually going out on a date..

That is good that you tell them to call you when you want that, as opposed to playing hint games that unfortunately some may do. But I will say that many women -- and they don't have to be under 30 -- strongly prefer texting VS giving out their # to someone they're bantering with online to talk on the phone. I haven't found any greater or lesser level of results of having a call VS texting.

I am still stunned how many on here will meet at a park or the mall or someone's house?..to me that's not a date, at all. It's a dating site, right? Sounds boring and awkward, too boot.. but I get that's just me.

Meeting at the park or mall is a date too. Dating sites don't in any way imply candle-lit dinners or any type of "classic" dates. I can see going to someone's house not fitting that mold for a 1st-meet. It implies more like a 1st meat - lol. But going out to a mere coffee shop, the park, the mall and grabbing some Orange Julius, etc -- yeah, still a date. Just a low-key one. Which some gals prefer too, especially when they're weary of "guys online".

We were both about to delete our profiles, as I had been having better luck and usually more fun meeting guys in the real world when out by myself.

I think an attractive gal like you is going to get a lot of good luck out IRL mingling with guys. Especially you being into college sports. Talking about stuff like Lovie Smith and wondering how well the Illini will fare in his 1st season -- that'll get guys' attention quite well at many types of bars.
 green0eye0girl
Msg: 129
Posted: 7/30/2016 10:26:44 AM
Like they'd be turned off if you said sex?

Like wtf did they think I was going to say, I've actually told a few guys just looking for some mind blowing sex but I have to see pics of your goods first :D
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 130
Posted: 7/30/2016 10:44:23 AM
^ ^ ^ 151
To answer, Whatsamattababy

(Messages this short may not be posted)
LOL Sure they can!

.............prefer texting VS giving out their # to someone they're bantering with online to talk on the phone.

Huh? I'm confused. Explain. (Never mind, I may not survive it, LOL)

To me. To T-E-X-T is to send communication with written words in or on a cell phone.
Therefore a cell number is required? Text/phone/number, yep!

By the way, for the record, illinigirl states:
"my current boyfriend, who is wonderful."
Just thought I could point this out for the reading impaired
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 131
Posted: 7/30/2016 11:17:41 AM
^ Omg. About fifty to go. Might as well get it over with. I guess it won't be too bad if I do ten a day. I suppose could just set up a booth of some sort.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2016 11:42:52 AM

To me. To T-E-X-T is to send communication with written words in or on a cell phone. Therefore a cell number is required?

I understand the confusion. Writing vs Texting. Thing is, writing on Facebook, POF, Match, OKC -- are referred to as 'texting' in a general context because many people do do it on the phone. But you don't even need to own a cell phone to do it.

So texting will refer to writing to each other instead of talking on the phone, in many contexts. Some will use their phone to do it, some will use their computer which is easier, like me. Texting refers to what can (or is usually) done on one's phone. But you can text via Facebook, POF, Match, OKC, and thru chat apps -- without needing to give out your #. So no, cell # is not required.
 hemingway234
Msg: 133
Posted: 7/30/2016 12:14:06 PM

I understand the confusion. Writing vs Texting. Thing is, writing on Facebook, POF, Match, OKC -- are referred to as 'texting' in a general context because many people do do it on the phone. But you don't even need to own a cell phone to do it.

- usually call that messaging. I call texting........ well, texting.

- Match - Match has a little bit better quality and less married people looking for dates/cheaters. Don't expect miracles, however.

- How many people should you meet before you quit? - that's up to you. I would say never give up. I've known of people who have met over 100 before they found a match. When I dated, I averaged about 22 meets before I found a match. Rock stars and famous people in the real world, 2 lol
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 134
Posted: 7/30/2016 1:10:08 PM
I looked up TEXTING in the Urban dictionary:
(I'm laughing, there was more, I narrowed it down to this)
TOP DEFINITION
texting
1. an invention that allows people, usually in their teenage years, to talk to more than one of their "friends" at once

2. the reason kids don't learn as much at school...except maybe a better way of not getting caught using your phone.

3. something the majority of people over the age of forty can't seem to figure out.

4. the easiest way for you to ignore someone that you don't want to talk to.. as opposed to refusing their phone calls.

texting
The common practice of typing messages on a cell phone to recipients

texting
the act of sending a mobile phone to mobile phone message of text instead of talking; the contraction of words "text" and "messageing" with the apostrophe dropped through consistent use as a word

Texting
A recently facinating type of communication by cellular devices that everyone; and I mean EVERYONE seems to be using. Apparently it's mentally &, physically addictive; much like sex....or Myspace. Mainly consists of a few shortened words that often have no meaning what-so-ever.

Texting
-A stupid way to communicate

-Great way to get into a car accident
-The reason why people cannot spell properly
-The reason why people cannot talk properly
-Something that kids get addicted to
-A warning sign that society is getting dumber
I don't use texting, it's ****ing stupid.
#cell phone #chat #video chat #stupid #im

© 1999-2016 Urban Dictionary ®
 south_city
Msg: 135
Posted: 7/30/2016 2:04:26 PM

Match - Match has a little bit better quality and less married people looking for dates/cheaters. Don't expect miracles, however.

Agreed. There are flakes, jerks, liars, cheaters etc on every OLD website. But I do agree the quality of Match is relatively better compared to POF. I got more emails and dates ( and even a couple of short term relationships ) from Match than I did from POF.

I would also use the mutual match instead of the daily match on Match. For the most part, the mutual match will weed out people that you won't be interested in ( or vice versa ) because of age, body type, race, height, distance, religion, drinking and smoking habits, having or wanting children etc.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2016 10:32:39 AM

- usually call that messaging. I call texting........ well, texting.

They call it that way too, of course. But again, context. Let me make my point more clear -- MANY Definitely call it texting when talking in Comparison to Calling. In fact, that's the majority for me, anyway. Because many times these people don't use a computer but their phone -- so it's tomato/tomatoe.

texting
The common practice of typing messages on a cell phone to recipients

Yes, that's why many will refer to it as texting, when doing Facebook, OKC, POF, Match messages. Most use their phone. They're referring to typing messages on a cell phone to others, who almost everyone will get it on their phone to respond to for phone-to-phone messages. Nowadays, it's basically an option to use your computer. I prefer a computer keyboard with a larger screen VS a phone.

Your definitions fit the mold of it all being texting. That's why people will call it texting.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating site or hookups only?