Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 60 Is The New 40      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2beetoo
Msg: 51
60 Is The New 40Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
You are clearly not understanding something. You have still aged a lot since 40. The fact that you can do more pushups now is simply evidence that you could have done even more pushups at 40 IF you had trained your body to do so. What you have lost with age is the capacity to do what you could have done earlier. Whether you ever met that capacity earlier was a function of your physical conditioning at the time. Additionally, if you are using drugs, steroids, etc. to reach a capacity you could not otherwise reach at this age, you are doing yourself more harm than good.
 lilydreams
Msg: 52
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 3:36:55 PM
My grandmother died at 104. Her last 3 years weren't all that good but we all had fun, including her, at her 100th. In all those years she walked a lot, ate well and had a huge garden, ate meat, had a cigarette with a glass of Sherry after supper every night. Who needs 100+ push-ups a day? You need to move, you need to eat healthy, you need to sleep without stress and you need good genes....and not get hit by a bus. Joggers have heart attacks, cyclists get cancer and gawd knows what all the roid monkeys at the gym will die of but I've seen a lot that looked like they could explode at any moment.

60 might be the new 40 in attitude, "young at heart", "go get em " thinking and still enjoy a challenge, new adventures and a 40 hour work week....but the body is 60. You can stuff that body with breast implants, get hair plugs, dye your hair, implant calf muscles and pecs, get Botox and fillers...you're still 60. And whoever did Kenny Rogers face lift did him no favors. And I saw an old doll about 85 at a motorcycle rally in Reno, she was in a bikini top and had the oldest breast implants in the world, she was so tanned...she looked like a brown lizard with big old half grapefruits glued on her skinny little body....but she was rockin it. Attitude, it's all about attitude.

My son has been hitting the gym for years and I'm pretty sure at times he's done cycles of "stuff". Since the wife and kids...no. But he still hits the weights. He packs about an extra 20 pounds. Thing is, he does no cardio, does a lot of high protein and supplements. And....he has genes. His father had a heart attack and died at 55 and his grandfather had a heart attack and died at 56. So my nagging to him is - go for a good quick walk every day and eat more veggies and add in some fruit. He may have got some of my family's long life genes or he could have genes from his father side. It's a crap shoot, but why play with the numbers, go with history.
 2beetoo
Msg: 53
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 5:46:59 PM
First of all, muscles are not a sign of Health. Cardiovascular conditioning is a far better indicator. Nothing of course is guaranteed. Runners drop dead despite having great physical fitness. At real risk are the muscle Builders who when younger took steroids to enhance their attributes. Those people seem to have a very low life expectancy.

But the point is 60 really does do a lot of damage to our bodies no matter who we are. Besides gravity taking its toll, the immune system is starting to weaken as well as levels of hormones, cardiovascular capacity, pulmonary capacity just about everything.

You will never have nearly the speed nor power at 60 you had when you were 20. You may have more endurance but you're maximum heart rate and capacity to pump blood will still be a lot worse 20 years older. This is an Undisputed scientific fact whether we like it or not.
 americanbulldog89
Msg: 54
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 5:58:26 PM
Msg. 52 54

Thanks for posting, good information. Me personally, I've never felt better in my life. 60 the new 40? Don't know don't care. All I know is what I'm doing works for me and I'm gonna keep at it.
 2beetoo
Msg: 55
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 6:11:17 PM
I think that's great and you are doing the right thing. It is never too late to take care of your health. Despite my lying profile, I am pretty close to your age and honestly I am still medication free, low blood pressure, lean, still never get sick, still have a reasonably strong libido, but I see what's happening around me with my cohorts and I too know vague aches and pains of aging at times, the dimming of previously highly acute eyesight, the slow graying of previously jet black hair. I, like you, am in top physical shape. I have been all of my life, starting with lyndon Johnson awarding me A presidential physical fitness award in my youth.

But old man time is out there grabbing for me...and it was only this morning I was still in grammar school.
 americanbulldog89
Msg: 56
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 6:26:28 PM
You need to have a little different attitude with old man time and his hand reaching for you. Already told old man time, reach your hand out towards me and I'll hack it off with a chainsaw.
 chinook1111
Msg: 57
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 7:53:23 PM
Lots of generalities 2beetoo.

So what if bulldog could have done more at 40,he does more now.Maximum safe heart rate will decline but who cares if you can squat more at 60 than 25?Cardio is important but certainly not the only measurement of note,muscle mass,flexibility and core strength are also important.
 2beetoo
Msg: 58
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 8:16:45 PM
Don't disagree. A strong core is essential to avoid disability and maintain independence as we age. But a strong core is not evidence of a healthy heart. It is the heart that gets many of us as we age. For guys, we start succumbing in our fifties...but the mid sixties ate when it becomes a significant issue for many guys.
 chinook1111
Msg: 59
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 8:30:02 PM
If your heart can take squatting with at least bodyweight with no discomfort things should be good.Jogging at a steady rate doesn't actually improve stroke volume.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 60
SRT - Sitting Rising Test
Posted: 5/1/2016 8:35:46 PM
Hmm.

Try the sit and rest test for seniors.

Sit down Indian style, and then stand up, without using your arms to touch the ground or surrounding objects.

The test was devised for seniors because the traditional pullups and pushups were too much.

Only a few men I work with can pull this off without using their arms to help them.

The goal is to get down and back up from a sitting position with minimal support. It can be used in all age groups, and results are based on a scale of one to 10.

Score three or less and your risk of dying is five times greater over the next five years.

You cross your feet, and go into a seated position. That's five points. Coming back up is another 5. But you can lose points really fast.

You lose a point for each hand, arm or knee you need for support. Take off a half-point when you lose your balance at any time, either on the way down or coming back up.

Be sure to take your shoes off, and wear comfortable clothes.

But for every point you get, there's a 21% decrease in mortality from all causes. Dr. Lim, says it makes sense.

"The more active we are the better we can accommodate stressors the more likely we are to handle something bad that happens down the road," said Dr. Lim.

Dr. Araujo's data has been published in American and European medical journals. By the way, he says if you're over 50 and score a perfect 10, you should be proud, because not many people in the age group can do it.

- http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/26/sitting-rising-test-life-expectancy-fitness/24076407/
 2beetoo
Msg: 61
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/1/2016 8:40:12 PM
I'm not sure how, but steady state is known to reduce the incidence of hardening of the arteries...by reducing blood pressure etc. My understanding is jogging and any exercise that increases heart fitness strengthens the ejection fraction...but stroke volume or maximal heart rate capacity is reduced with age no matter how fit you are. Moral. Make the most with what you have left. Me I do steady state and hiit in the mornings and walk in the evenings. I've avoided the gym for years but likely will soon start for some lifting, something I regularly did over thirty years ago.
 americanbulldog89
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/1/2016 8:57:13 PM

Sit down Indian style, and then stand up, without using your arms to touch the ground or surrounding objects.

I can do them easily. From the sitting position I do have to roll my upper body slightly forward in order to get my feet under the rest of me and then I can just pop right up. While keeping my arms folded in front of me as the Indians did. Going down is nothing. I guess I'm doing it right.
 platypus_man
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2016 12:39:51 AM
I never tire of listening to men talk of all the pushups they can do, run miles, how they're 'in the best shape of their lives' when they reach 60. As if that's somehow going to make them attractive to a 25 year old or something. Not going to happen. Or, are you getting in shape to join the army? Play in the NBA? Maybe start boxing or MMA? To what end? Nobody cares. No one wants to listen to you tell the world what a great 60 year old specimen you are, because in reality, no one cares. No one's looking for athletic 60 year olds, NO ONE. Even if you can out race a 35 year old out of shape guy. For those of you who wish to know, remember the sex and the city episode where Samantha took the bait of an old guy to take her to bed, and was mortified when she saw him from behind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEmnoAXynbA (scroll to 2:50) . That's what women will see. It won't matter whether you're in shape. You still look like you're 60. Or more. You're not fooling anyone but yourself.

As far as 'old man smell', there's no such thing. The smell comes from NOT WASHING. Old men think that if they can't smell anything, then there's no smell there. Those men are wrong. As you age, your sense of smell declines, just like everything else. If you don't wash, you smell. When you were young, you took a shower every morning, and often every night if you were going out. Now you wash 'when you think you need to'. I'll bet every single guy here over 45 has multiple articles of clothing that they've worn but haven't washed; some, for 10 years of more (suits & sport jackets, light outdoor jackets, coats, raincoats, overcoats, sweaters, etc.) WASH THEM. Same with everything else in your house. Even dress shoes will develop a scent, so if they're old (and I bet they are, maybe even 20-30 years in many cases because men buy good 'dress' shoes and think as long as they aren't worn out, they're still good), they probably smell too. Carpets, furniture that you've had for 30 years, blankets, comforters, that mattress you've had for 25 years, THEY ALL SMELL and as you use them, YOU WILL TOO. Have an animal? Then your whole house probably smells (90% of people who own an animal cannot tell that their house smells). have acoustic tiles in your ceiling? They collect odors too. If they've been there for 20 years, they have a smell.

Most of us have been living in the same place, with the same stuff, and the same clothing, for decades. If necessary, have an objective person come in and tell you if your stuff, and your clothes, smell.

I'm not saying that we should all restrict ourselves to rocking chairs. But we should stop trying to fool ourselves into thinking that we look like anything but senior citizens to the younger people of the world. Women who watch 'Younger' love to believe that if you're 40 you can pass for 25. Doesn't happen. 20 somethings CAN tell the difference. YOU can't, because you don't want to. 60 isn't the new 40. It's the new 60. You know, where rich guys stole our pensions so we can't retire until we're 80. THAT new 60, unlike back when most 60 year olds had pensions to supplement social security.
 2beetoo
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/2/2016 5:03:35 AM
Platypus, you sound like you are a very angry guy, like you resent guys who take care of themselves because you dont. I like to stay fit because I like feeling fit and healthy. I like not feeling old and will put it off as long as possible. I like not being fat or flabby. I refuse to concede my body to the state i see most other guys my age.It has zero to do with woman, i have no desire to attract 25 year old women. The thought of that is almost laughable. I had that day in the sun when I was 25.

Being competitive, I also like to compete with myself. If I can beat my last time it makes me happy...call me strange.

You are right though, nobody else cares, just like nobody else cares how rich you are, how successful you are, how smart you are. That's all in your head. I had a friend tell me if you are not a member of the country club you are nobody. And I thought to myself what a juvenile way for this fifty year old to see the world. He is a nobody anyway except to those people to whom he matters. He just doesn't see it.

By the way, I no longer turn the heads of 25 year olds, but I still turn the heads of women in my age range, not that I really care about that either. But that is one thing I learned as I have gotten older. When young I assumed love and sex was for the young. But being older, I see that what people want from the other sex never changes. It's just that so many become embittered and angry that so many give up or reject because of that bitterness.
 chinook1111
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/2/2016 5:28:21 AM
I agree with 2beetoo.Who cares about 25 year old kids,women our own age certainly appreciate a trim waist and fitness.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2016 5:44:40 AM

Interesting, not easy for me to do the correct way as in the video.

I guess I would settle for a score of 8.5-9.0, though I did do it once nearly perfectly, it's not natural for me to try that. And I did sit down harder than I like.
 americanbulldog89
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/2/2016 11:33:35 AM

As if that's somehow going to make them attractive to a 25 year old or something.

Dude you have some real issues. Go see a shrink. Who the hell said anything about 25 year olds? You do not even know me so how do know what my motivations are? I do this for myself because as 2beetoo says a lot of guys in are age range are a train wreck. I could care less about what women are looking for or prefer, not about that. And speaking of 25 year olds there are many around here grossly overweight. Would not be interested in them one bit.

You know, where rich guys stole our pensions so we can't retire until we're 80. THAT new 60, unlike back when most 60 year olds had pensions to supplement social security.

What is this we shit?? Speak for yourself. I was completely debt free at age 51 and am still so. Am very comfortable retired and Life has never been better. The fitness thing is to make sure it stays that way.

I hope you get some help with your issues. As 2beetoo says you sound very angry.
 americanbulldog89
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/2/2016 11:42:24 AM

ot of guys in are age range

should read our age range.

Am very comfortable retired

should read comfortably retired

They really need to fix the edit function
 Ouija2025
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/2/2016 12:11:13 PM
Edit function works fine
Some of you guys boast like they going to cover you in gold when you gone ( saw they did that to a Monk)
I am uncomfortably working - feel free to send that junk food you don't want to eat :)
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 70
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/2/2016 12:32:14 PM
so it's all a new 'attitude" ?

people in 1955 who were then 60 could as easily have said "60 is the new 40" AS WELL..NOTHING MAGIC ABOUT 2016.

yes, I have heard that the elite Special Forces commands now want to recruit all these fab-u-lous 60 year olds to be Navy SEALs, Marine Recon, Rangers, etc. as they can run rings around all the 20 year olds..

It seems this saying mostly refers to mental self-image, as in "I don't really feel 60, I am still attracted to 35 or 40 year old women"

facelifts, other cosmetic surgery, heavy make up & mascara on 65 year old guys..can all help with the "feeling" of being younger when one views a mirror?
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 71
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/2/2016 2:04:47 PM

facelifts, other cosmetic surgery, heavy make up & mascara on 65 year old guys..can all help with the "feeling" of being younger when one views a mirror?

Or you do a couple of Iron men. A few centuries. At least three marathons.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 72
view profile
History
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/2/2016 4:16:27 PM

At least three marathons.

A marathon for me is all day on the POF forum.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 73
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/2/2016 5:41:56 PM
Dragon LOL
So today I was in the dentist chair.. cracked a dear tooth been with me forever. Now a crown. I could buy a lot of junk for that crown.
Twas a good tooth, served me well. And darn insurance doesn't cover it. :( I will show total strangers the new crown and say here is my holiday in Cuba
 Maleman999
Msg: 74
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/3/2016 6:11:25 AM
Is this another "Age is just a number" type of thread? If 60 is the new 40, does that mean people will wait until they're 85 years old old before they think of retiring, collecting a pension and getting senior's discounts?
 chinook1111
Msg: 75
60 Is The New 40
Posted: 5/3/2016 6:24:48 AM
Greater numbers of fit people over 50 now IMO.My grandmother exercised daily and could brag about her figure while wearing a bathing suit,a rarity in 1960.

I tried this Indian manoeuvre. Cannot get off the floor no hands despite having squatted 225 for 5 with wraps 3 weeks ago....
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 60 Is The New 40