Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Another profile review request      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EricB1
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Another profile review requestPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Thanks for the feedback Ouija! Its true, there are plenty of attractive and smart young women at my university. (I think the student population sits around 65% female actually) but I don't garner any attention from them. I'm pretty shy with introducing myself and at making any semblance of small talk with a girl. (I understand that most of them are very nice and friendly but in terms of dating they come across as skeptical and hardened because of experiences with more aggressive guys who lack qualities of respect from time to time).

I'll take out the last photo and try to add in another one. I'll try switching the second photo to my main to see if that helps! (I didn't really want to use it as my main because my biceps aren't the biggest).

The messages I send vary but they usually consist of: "Hi Miss _____! I really like your profile! (lets say she's in university as well) Its fantastic that you go to university as well! What made you choose social work (just as an example) as your major?"

I'll definitely clarify the "depends on the girl" part! The initial bit was meant to be facetious and the latter half that first dates depend on what the girl likes/is like personality wise.

I understand women want to know what its like to date me, but honestly I can't say much because I've never dated before. (Shocker I know, I seem like a total player. Maybe it's a red flag that I'm in the second half of my undergrad and I haven't dated). So I'm kind of in the position equivocal to filling out a resume without any job experience.

I would stop by the bakery! But I know myself too well and I'd be too tempted pick up treats for myself, and I'm trying to eat as healthy as I can!
 Forums_only
Msg: 18
Another profile review request
Posted: 1/16/2017 7:19:16 PM
The dimples. Where are the dimples.
 EricB1
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2017 6:25:05 PM
Hey everybody! I'm back again, its been around another year and I still haven't made any progress. I updated my pictures again (no good ones with dimples sorry) and tried to refine my profile. I'd explain more about what it's like to date me/relationship expectations etc, but truth be told I've never actually been on a date.

Anyway any advice on how to get viewed more would be appreciated! I'm not too concerned with messages because I know it's way different for girls and they might not even get the chance to read it, but just maybe giving my profile a little pop would be nice! Thank you in advance!
 Forums_only
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/4/2017 7:56:15 PM
Hi, again, Eric.

If you want your message to be noticed/opened in a bouquet of other incoming messages, your main photo has to pop, not the profile. You are light skinned with (currently?) blond hair, so a lush green outdoor background would be better than a light background into which you accidentally blend. Work the face.

Did I mention the dimples?

You may want to add 6 "Interests" in that field that will be unique to you. Avoid the generic eye-rollers (music, movies, travel, food, sports, more sports) and be specific : Swimming, Wine tours, [favourite comedian], Bacon, Trance, Banff, Edmonton Oilers... whatever, you get the idea. Sometimes girls only have seconds to see if you'd have anything in common so don't waste it being vanilla.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/5/2017 5:51:28 AM

Dude, screw profiles and pictures. You're on a college campus surrounded by hotties. Your situation doesn't get any better than what you are in right now. These are your prime years that everyone else always looks back upon and longs for again. Make the most of it.

On paper, there's not a reason in the world why you shouldn't be killing it left and right. The best thing you can do is try to overcome any fear of approaching. Any horrific outcome you might be envisioning very likely isn't going to occur.

As for small talk, I hate it just as much as anyone else, but it gets your foot in the door.
 Chromis1
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2017 7:10:24 AM
Forums' advice is solid.

So is this:

You're on a college campus surrounded by hotties. Your situation doesn't get any better than what you are in right now.

Son, you shouldn't be here.
 bobbyjo101
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/13/2017 4:41:10 AM
I dare you to go get some rejection under your belt. If you ask 10 girls out on campus, the rejections would get easier as you go along and one might say yes.

It would be hard to walk to a stranger but if you put yourself somewhere where it is quiet and there is only the girl. Like a quiet bench, sitting under a tree, an almost empty hallway.
Start by talking to them. You don't have to ask them out. Just start talking to them.
Once that becomes normal for you, you can learn how to put the moves. "Man it's cold out, how about this weather. Whats your name, oh nice to meet you Tiffany, whats your major? Wow, I'm freezing I think i need a hot cocoa, do you need anything from the coffee place on campus? No, are you busy, wanna come for a walk with me, while I grab coffee., no, oh man, my girlfriend doesn't like to go on walks either, you girls are so lazy. Anyway, nice talking to you. I will see you around
What my mom would do is invite people to come to a party as friends. It gives you an opportunity to hang out with the person without it being a date.

One of my favorite boyfriends, I met him like this: We are sitting in a recreation room. The Simpons are on tv. Something on tv said something about being single. He blurts out, I'm single too. So I chime in, my friend told me she thinks you are cute, wanna go on a date with her. She didn't want to go, so I went in her place and we ended up dating until he moved very far away less than 2 months later. I didn't know the guy at all, had never talked to him. My friend just pointed him out in a crowd a few weeks earlier.

Instead of wallowing in self pity, think of conversation starters. Think of a way to ease into an invite to do something together. Think of the best places to do that. Plan out a way to do it, if you hypothetically got the nerve to do it.

You look ultra homosexual in your second pic and too skinny in your third pic. The first pic is okay.
 khrisk00
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2017 1:58:01 PM
Jeez.... 2 pages of comments and nobody has mentioned the #1 problem in that he looks gay. I understand how rude that is, but i'm pretty sure most of you thought he looked gay... but u chose to not say anything and you chose to talk about other stuff that does not matter.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/17/2017 8:52:19 AM
Pathetic, huh?
 spot4username
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/19/2017 7:34:44 AM
One of my sons is 22 and in college. If he was on a site like POF my first question would be WTF? Just walk out your door. I know his school has nonstop social events. Loads of them are free. You just show up and are surrounded by coeds. Your major should have plenty of women (he is lucky to have one or two in a class w/ his) make friends with them. Even the women who aren't interested in you have friends and one of them may be.

And I agree that if you are going to go this route get better pix and get rid of the never dated line. But the biggest thing I agree with is go out there and get rejected. We all get/got rejected. Learn to deal with it and hone your techniques. Learn to read body language and social cues.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2017 8:38:18 PM
Your main photo is black n white! Why? You need color.

You do look gay in the 2nd photo. If you aren't gay, for sure ditch that one. If you are, then, figure it out, and act accordingly.

Do not expect young women to pay attention to you in real life. Start by paying attention to them. The other guy are out there doing that. If you don't take the initiative, the women assume you aren't interested.

Why do you say "The Asian", yet list yourself as caucasian? Confusion, conflicting info, are not attractive. A woman will just click, next.

Don't say "I will not shut up" Don't say you've never dated before! Once you get to the talking stage, you would say I haven't dated much.

"wants to date but nothing serious" to most women means you want to play around, but won't stick around. Say you want a relationship. That doesn't make you desperate, it makes you human. It doesn't mean you want a permanent relationship right now, just eventually.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Another profile review request