Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purplerider1200
Msg: 251
view profile
History
dump the ole girl and get a newer model?Page 11 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

I have done my own baseboard heaters and a few replacements on taps...

If you've done baseboard heaters, this should be a piece of cake for you.

I have the dishwasher but with quotes of $400.00 to install.

I'll say! I'd be tickled to do that for half of that. My norm for a new install (Without pulling out one cabinet) is usually $125.
 NDHarley
Msg: 252
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/16/2016 7:49:33 AM
I had opposite trouble.... guy said he was coming to meet me. As he got closer to m y town his corvette had trouble. Hour later he is at truck stop wants me to give him a ride to hotel. Sorry I never met you before. So what if you have a nice looking car..... I am not letting a stranger stay with me or be his taxi without even meeting you. I felt guilty quickly and called back to offer my help and apologise he was already back on hyway headed home limping it in.
I sorry what you drive or what job you have or how much money does not make the man. Morrols and respect and how you treat another person tells what person you are.
By the way the next night he was back in my town on a motorcycle.... I did not meet him
1) he did not tell me he was coming
2) to me seemed desperate
3) says my loss.... but if I haven't met him yet I am equal to what I had before the car broke down.
Things happen good or bad for reasons unknown.... go with your gut and not what your eyes see.
Good luck
 gtomustang
Msg: 253
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/16/2016 9:26:53 AM
regardless of what they do or own, your gut feeling

"..to me, he seemed desperate"

is the guardtower.
 ohenryx
Msg: 254
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/18/2016 3:02:10 PM
I am probably undateable at this moment in time, as I am driving around in a minivan. Someone ran over my car last week, and it’s in the shop being repaired. So for the moment I am in a rental car. There is a great shortage of rental cars in the greater Houston area due to the floods last month, and I had a difficult time getting into any rental car. So when a minivan was offered, I jumped on it.

And you know, it’s not that bad. 2016 Chrysler Town and Country, leather upholstery, nice stereo, backup camera, lots of “stuff”. But I’m quite certain that driving around in a minivan is going to make for enforced celibacy for the time being.
 gtomustang
Msg: 255
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/18/2016 6:24:21 PM
Ironic, with all that room in the back....probably even has movie screens to show "Those" type of flicks for inspiration...I was never a fan of making out in a car, but I wonder how many did it in a minivan, it just seems to make more sense than folded up in the back of a '62 Nova...

nice new photo, Whiskey. I'd say its a 10, but we don't want to start that again :) lol
 eg0724
Msg: 256
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/19/2016 8:14:59 PM
As long as he has his own car, it runs, and it's clean... that's good for me.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 257
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/20/2016 1:33:11 PM
"Lincoln tapped Matthew McConaughey to help promote the then- new 2015 Lincoln MKC crossover in some TV spots. Now, the American actor has returned for a trio of new videos for the redesigned midsize 2017 Lincoln MKZ sedan."

Ohhhh.............. be still my beating heart!
 gtomustang
Msg: 258
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/20/2016 2:22:32 PM
apparently Lincoln isn't the only one who wants to tap Matt? :) lol

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=snl+lincoln+car+ads&view=detail&mid=16D68EEE2DF6C71D055F16D68EEE2DF6C71D055F&FORM=VIRE

off on a side note, I always loved the book "Hot Rod Pinups" by David Perry. Sex does sell a product, and cars were freedom...and a place to take a date when houses were expensive. a fast car, a pretty woman, both make you feel alive and life is worth living. but the car at least you can take apart, repair, and figure it out. no mind of its own. Get the fuel and spark together at the right time, and you've created a life form. we can't birth babies, so here's our chance.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 259
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/20/2016 3:54:23 PM
Those commercials are great...have you ever seen the skits with Ellen riding in the back.
Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69chHMtrs4
@gto...Thanks..you're such a gent...!!
@Purple...Now, for that price...you'd get the job. Sometimes some people price themselves out of jobs.
 NYNewtoPSL
Msg: 260
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/20/2016 4:03:57 PM

Message: apparently Lincoln isn't the only one who wants to tap Matt? :) lol

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=snl+lincoln+car+ads&view=detail&mid=16D68EEE2DF6C71D055F16D68EEE2DF6C71D055F&FORM=VIRE

off on a side note, I always loved the book "Hot Rod Pinups" by David Perry. Sex does sell a product, and cars were freedom...and a place to take a date when houses were expensive. a fast car, a pretty woman, both make you feel alive and life is worth living. but the car at least you can take apart, repair, and figure it out. no mind of its own. Get the fuel and spark together at the right time, and you've created a life form. we can't birth babies, so here's our chance.

Ya know...if the rebadged fords I mean Lincoln's were anything like they used to be they wouldn't need Hollywood actors to push sales. Seriously anyone foolish enough to buy a new Lincoln should just hand me 50-60k and I'll put them in a ford with the Lincoln badges on them and walk away with 20-30k in my pocket, and sell them a bridge in NY while I'm at it...
I've got my eyes on a grey hairs 61 continental convertible. Suicide doors fat white walls triple white.... When he can't drive it anymore or passes away I'm buying it. Put air ride in it, swap the ol 360 for a 390 set of headers to glasspacks with chrome pipes exiting under each corner of the rear bumper and have quite a sweet cruiser to park on the frame. Oh I love those continentals and the 50s Capri. Got my eyes on a few caddys too! 53 el dorado for 6500 down the street, 59 coupe Deville for 10k, a 66 and 67 coupe Deville project cars for 3k, and about half an hour away is a gorgeous 68 coupe Deville convertible.

There's a saying I remember an old hot rodder once told me.
Son if it's got tatas or tires, it's going to cost money and both cost about the same in the end. Stick with the ones that have tires, those can be figured out. And when you get tired of it you can always replace it without grief. Plus it won't ask you if a dress makes her butt look fat. Regardless always say no...
 purplerider1200
Msg: 261
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/20/2016 9:02:25 PM

@Purple...Now, for that price...you'd get the job. Sometimes some people price themselves out of jobs.

That's how I manage to stay busy. Reasonable prices keeps me buried in work.
 gtomustang
Msg: 262
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/20/2016 9:31:06 PM
Thank you, WR, I tried to make up for it :)

Who put a 36oFE into the Lincoln? was that another one of those swaps done after 1973 for gas mileage?

http://automotivemileposts.com/lincoln/prod1961lincoln.html

if I remember correctly, that 430 MEL motor is like the 409 in that there isn't a combustion chamber in the head, combustion occurs inside the cylinder. There was a tri power option one of the years, and during the gasser era, that was one of the engines like the 394 Olds that racers would pull out of a junkyard, stab in an Isky grind and go to the track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_MEL_engine

that 2.89 rear gear in a huge tank like that, says a lot about the engine's potential. but its not there for fuel economy, its another luxury tank with a toilet for a carburetor.

Cloones, I couldn't tell you the first stat about baseball, basketball, or football. But cars, I can keep up.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 263
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/20/2016 9:40:02 PM
Damn, you guys got the car thing down to a science.

Whadeva happened to video cards and anti-aliasing?
 NYNewtoPSL
Msg: 264
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/20/2016 11:53:10 PM
That's what the geezer claims is in it. I'll have him open the hood next time I jog by. A 390 the way I built in a mud truck would probably flex the body on that boat to where the suicide doors jammed shut!

This state is a GD candy store for me. I saw an old Desoto at the gas station needs a total restoration I had the guy open the hood... 2200 or best offer. I see a 392 hemi. I see a grill that can be spliced into a 50 merc... Ohhhhh just need a model A and a M22 4speed a pair of drag slicks.... Big solid lifter cam, offy high hise with 6 strombergs or Hillborne injection.... Bumbiddabumbiddabum BARAAAAAAPPPP open headers... That'd be the beach cruiser.

The caddys would all be on air ride. One would have gold Dayton wires the other would have the factory wheels. That 53 stainless roofed Eldorado would be poker night cruiser, the late 60s would be regular errand runners. To get an idea of what those coupe devilles would look like... Google stanceworks cadillac. That would be exactly how they'd ride.

And I'd have a sticker on them that says... Oh so your civic can tuck 17s? That's cute...
 NYNewtoPSL
Msg: 265
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/21/2016 6:34:50 AM
Just got back from Walmart, bullet nose studebaker champ sitting in a handicap space. 2 aisles over was a Nash metro with a small block chevy in it! (Too bad it's a TPI 305 from an Iroc, but it has a/c) I'm in heaven. I think I'm guna buy some powerball tickets... There are lots of sweet old cars down here that aren't roached out begging to be built right...
 gtomustang
Msg: 266
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/21/2016 8:22:11 AM
not that a 360FE or 361FT is the worst thing, its a destroked 390. A 428 cranks for 410cid or Survival Motorsports can sell you a 445 cid stroker kit. In the background of my profile photo is a rusted out Mustang convertible, so I know what you mean about frame buckling and doors being closed. Its why I don't dump a lot of power into convertables or T tops. But you're right about the cars down there not near the salt air. You know what I deal with up here. The orange GT in my profile? I pinstriped on the back spoiler, "I get my gas from eating rice". Crude, but it keeps the phartcan brigade from trying to race me at every stoplight, I don't need more 5-oh attention to my 5.0

that 305TPI, speedway and others sell a 334cid stroker kit, using the ubiquitous 3.75 inch crank. that'll kick that Nash Met down the 1320 without blowing its tires away. its bore and stroke is similar to the old Cadillac 331, and hotrodders loved that thing. replace the TPI with Edelbrock tri power, and these valvecovers (http://www.yourcovers.com/valve_covers_11107.php) and have fun with the rat rodders down there who don't know a Cad has exposed exhaust ports, raised intake manifold, and coolant lines across the front of the heads.
 NYNewtoPSL
Msg: 267
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/21/2016 11:04:09 AM
Nah, what would really make it scoot was the cheater engine I built for the 30 lapper at Syracuse.
Pure stock rules, GM ford Mopar casting numbers only, had a cam rule that varies by track. 2bbl Rochester carbs only, and cast iron intakes only. I used to use the Canadian high rise 294 283 truck intakes, use a wheel cylinder home and hog the venturi from the bottom up so the go no go crows foot would touch at the top of the throat.

What I built was a 509 casting 400 block, 2 reasons, higher nickel content, and freeze plugs are in the same location as a 350 block. It's easy to change casting numbers. What I'd have done is order up new billet caps splay the block to 4 bolt mill the caps down and line hone the block and caps assembled to accept a standard 350 crank. Bore the block 60 over, crower 3 1/4 crank feather weight forged (327) 6 1/4 i beam rods, short skirt flat top Mahle pistons, worked fuelie heads. A custom ground solid lifter cam. The pressure tester was a 72 camaro with a 4bbl and headers. We had a perfect back county road to beat the snot out of it. We'd patrol both directions in trucks with CB radios looking for cops, joggers, bicycles, other cars, and deer. This road went through mountains had hair pin corners, lots of s turns, lots of straight always and one that was 8 miles long. This road all together was 22 miles each way. We'd run our engines in that camaro to purposely try to grenade them. Carried a quick jack, 2 pumps it's up in the air, cordless impact and spare tires in the trunk, tank full of VP, burnouts and donuts til the tires exploded, they lasted to pull steep grades turning 8-11500rpm and take that kind of sheer abuse they wouldn't have a problem on the track. Bring the car back to the shop check valve lash, dwell, and undo the long tubes swap intakes and carbs then shove the engine in the race car. Even with subframe connectors in that camaro, if the tires hooked dropping the clutch at 5000 that car would twist... Had a cracked windshield and it wasn't from a stone...so that little cheater engine in a Nash metro would really scoot. Especially with better lungs instead of fuelies, say AFR BRODIX or the new bow tie heads...

I will miss that and the snow... There's no mountains or back roads down here... Tons of cops... No corners. Straight and flat...
 Behind_Blue_Eyes64
Msg: 268
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/22/2016 9:28:58 AM
I suggest you blindfold any dates you may have while using the T&C. She certainly will be impressed with the inside of the van...lol!

I rented one, maybe a '14/15, I don't recall. But I didn't want to give it back.
 Behind_Blue_Eyes64
Msg: 269
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/22/2016 9:31:04 AM
Above post was in response to this one:

I am probably undateable at this moment in time, as I am driving around in a minivan. Someone ran over my car last week, and it’s in the shop being repaired. So for the moment I am in a rental car. There is a great shortage of rental cars in the greater Houston area due to the floods last month, and I had a difficult time getting into any rental car. So when a minivan was offered, I jumped on it.

And you know, it’s not that bad. 2016 Chrysler Town and Country, leather upholstery, nice stereo, backup camera, lots of “stuff”. But I’m quite certain that driving around in a minivan is going to make for enforced celibacy for the time being.
 gtomustang
Msg: 270
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/22/2016 6:04:41 PM
Wait, did you go 377 cid with the standard 350 crank at 3.48 stroke or 352 cid with the Crower 3.25 inch 327 crank? How warm did it run at .06 over? I know the 377 was a popular combo, more than turning the 350 crank to a pre 1968 connecting rod to make a 370 out of a 4.06 bore block. You just had to make certain to drill the steam ports in the heads, use special bearings b/c the 400 crank has bigger journals than the early cranks to preserve overlap strength of the rod and main journals. and spend all day at 6 grand.

knew a racer who loved claimer classes, went Cadillac 500 w/ a single plane 425 intake and Ford 429 headers with new flanges to fit, b/c who was going to claim that? But he went to a longer track or finally killed the 500 or whatever and noticed the Olds 350 could copy the 377 formula--bore a pre 1976 block to a 425 big block piston, offset grind a 330 forged crank to fit a 6 inch chevy rod, the block accepts 455 heads, and you've got the same idea--and it fit his BOP bolt pattern THM400. And still no one wanted to claim it.

but yeah, twisty mountain roads, or just hilly roads...they are the reason God invented the stick shift. you can keep the straightaways and the grey hairs with the turn signal left on :) the eastern side of CT had a great road for driving late on a weeknight when the only traffic was trucks. plenty of sections were double laned for passing, it was like an early video driving game, sweeping corners and rises just sharp enough to hide what was up ahead so you'd stay sharp behind the wheel. Then Rhode Island ran out of money to keep up its part of route 6. Too potholed to drive over the speed limit now. the alternate running parallel north of it, Route 44, which you could hop over to in case you, um, needed it, is turning to buckboard now as well.
 NYCKOSI
Msg: 271
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/27/2016 5:46:36 PM
Ok Honestly this is a simple question with a very simple answer. Since I been in he auto industry for iver 20 years and I see what kind of cars attract what people here is my answer. When a guy has a fancy car, clean and well maintain and within in ten years old that should not be a problem. Keeping a vehicle clean and well maintain tell alot good about the person.

How ever when you see someone has added a-lot of accessories and some how ghettoized their vehicle these people are so much into their car that they rather spend the money to have their car look good than maintain it for better running conditions. I call them, not just jerks, but total jerks.

When someone drive a clunger, well in this day and age, lets be serious. A clunger! That person can not affort or will not spend the money for something better for him/herself, what make you think they will do anything for you. They are not ready for a relationship. This does not only reflect on their car, also the way they dress, eat, live etc....

I can not state this enough. someone that maintains their life in a quality way is the way to go.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 272
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/27/2016 9:06:14 PM
I think judging a man by their car may potentially be a mistake. Idiotic, really.

Or a woman, for that matter. The reason people get cars, vary quite greatly. I.E Kids, distance from work. Budgets often times, will have people favor some cars, to others (I.E Price point, vs look). I.E You may mistakenly assume someone's is broke, but I know people who make 6 figures or more, but drive "beaters".

I.E Prefer putting money in a 4-500k home, than trying to impress in a vehicle.

I see it as judging someone for taking the bus, as having no money or being a bum.

If you're in a city where public transit is highly accessible, you may be making a very poor judgment, as many usually use their cars to run errands, and buses to get to and from work.

I think you're far more accurate in judging *how* they drive, which is far more an extension of their character, than anything.

Sit me in your car, and I know who you are by watching you drive for 5 minutes.

I.E A go getter, aggressive or "boss" type, drives a certain way. Someone submissive and tentative, drives another, and so on.

Doesn't matter the car--the driving style will always be the same.

gtomustang
Msg: 273
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/28/2016 7:07:01 AM
There's an old saw that those who rent, don't have a lawn to waste money on, so they invest in a car or in entertainment equipment (stereo, surround sound, now flatscreen etc). Perspek, you are so right. Its amazing we drive the way we live, but its almost predictable.
 NYCKOSI
Msg: 274
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/28/2016 5:19:02 PM
My kid sister once met a guy. he had a great jod, good pay, but did not have licence to drive car. When she question him about that. his respond was Why would I need one? I live in the city no-where to park. I told her to ask him he should get a license at least. for reason if he wanted to rent a car to take a local drive upstate. He told her. Well you have one i don't need one. When she told me of his answer I told her walk away now. A month after meeting him it was over.

What I'm saying here. at this day and age for a male not to know how to drive in unacceptable. more for a man that a woman.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 275
A man and his car...
Posted: 6/1/2016 7:47:12 PM

What I'm saying here. at this day and age for a male not to know how to drive in unacceptable.

I think its an essential skill, for not only what you've mentioned, but for employment opportunities. Not knowing how to drive, robs you of many opportunities, straight off the bat.

You're in between jobs, and need something immediately, and you can't be a delivery driver, bus driver, sales rep for some companies, and so on.

To me, its a sign the guy is lazy. Only legit excuse, is a disability, that prevents the ability to drive.

I've been in 5 accidents as a passenger, and witnessed a handful of deadly crashes (one of which, was a sports car wrapped around a post, with the vehicle and passenger inside, mangled beyond recognition), and still got a license. Mind you, due to serious anxiety while learning, took me a couple years longer to manage to get the courage to follow through.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...