Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blue_Highway
Msg: 276
A man and his car...Page 12 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
A car to me is a tool to get from A to B. I'd rather put my money elsewhere and to good use. When I only here of things on a date such as cars, clothes, boats, money, house size etc. and nothing of real substance of them wanting from a person's character then I'm probably shutting down from that point on. And I hear those all too often!!
 ohenryx
Msg: 277
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 6/18/2016 9:03:15 AM

What I'm saying here. at this day and age for a male not to know how to drive in unacceptable. more for a man that a woman.

I think its an essential skill, for not only what you've mentioned, but for employment opportunities. Not knowing how to drive, robs you of many opportunities, straight off the bat.

I agree with the above.

But then, I’m quite old fashioned about these matters. I think that everyone should know how to drive, how to swim, how to shoot a gun, how to change a flat tire, how to setup an email account, how to backup their own computer.

And a man should know how to fix a leaky toilet, build a fire (matches allowed), and at least a little about cooking and house cleaning.
 2ufo
Msg: 278
A man and his car...
Posted: 6/18/2016 1:24:41 PM

What I'm saying here. at this day and age for a male not to know how to drive in unacceptable. more for a man that a woman.

I think that's a sexist remark. EVERYONE should know how to drive a car. The same as EVERYONE should know how to (temporarily, at least) fix a leaky toilet, build a fire, cook, keep a clean home, and bandage a boo-boo for a two year old.

On the other hand, I agree with OHenry and also think everyone should know how to fire a gun, handle a knife, defend yourself from physical or mental attack, swim, tie various knots, launder their own clothing, make a bed, etc.

You know, a bit of human competence.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 279
A man and his car...
Posted: 6/18/2016 1:43:26 PM
Well, in all fairness, I can't cook or sew :(
 2ufo
Msg: 280
A man and his car...
Posted: 6/18/2016 6:24:38 PM
^^^
but you can drive.

And maybe you can substitute choosing a good wine for cooking.

Sew was nowhere on my list.
 WhereforeAndWhyNot
Msg: 281
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 6/19/2016 3:16:43 AM

“Sit me in your car, and I know who you are by watching you drive for 5 minutes”

Best statement in this whole string.

And as others have said (or implied), if you’re shallow enough to judge someone by their car alone, then you deserve who you get.
 oneday57
Msg: 282
A man and his car...
Posted: 6/21/2016 4:35:19 AM
lol.....IMA thinking its the person and not the car unless your into things like that.....maybe they guys going thru a hardfought divorced...most of us have been thru that....hard to say!
 siisaa
Msg: 283
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/9/2018 10:51:04 PM

It would only bother me if it was an indication of every other aspect of his life, eg shabby clothes, garbage in the car, lives in a dodgy area, is unemployed etc.

Yep. If the beater car was a reflection on the rest of his lifestyle, then I would take pause. If a person's life is so messed up and unorganized, they need to get their shit together instead of trying to date. I'm not into extremes. Jalopies and flashy whips need not apply.
 hemingway234
Msg: 284
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/10/2018 3:52:43 AM
The price of the car, make, or the age does not matter.........it only matters how clean it is.......rust and missing hubcaps means you'll probably see that in other areas of his life.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 285
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/10/2018 6:17:57 AM
a mans car can say a lot about him. for some, it simply states what he can afford or willing to spend. an $80k 'toy' can be within his budget but totally impractical. for the rest of us, it says much more. a beat up junker with back seat full of beer cans and mcdonalds bags is a clear indication of his life style. a p.u. truck with ladder racks and tools in the back may not be a hit at the country club but shows he isn't afraid of work. for some of us, it is our passion. restoring or modifying cars is a hobby for some and what we chose makes a statement. my p.u. says I need to work to fund my hobbies, my jag says I made a few bucks and the mods say either I paid a lot to a shop or have skills and talent. unfortonately, most just see money and attracts the wrong crowd, I rarely drive it. my '64 hippy van attracts the total opposite crowd and definitely makes a bold statement.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 286
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/10/2018 3:22:16 PM
I can fix my old junkers. Rock Auto and I are on a first name basis. I bought a new pc last week, the first bookmark was Rock Auto. Don't like my old heaps? Gee, I didn't ask you to. I haven't bought a fortune in tools and welding equipment just to let them gather dust.

You'll never see me drive a Mercedes. Bast*rd things are too expensive to fix. ( They also fall apart too fast) I have a buddy that can fix Automatic transmissions. You'd S**T if you knew that about 90% of the cost of redoing an automatic, is labor.

That aside, if I don't drive an admirable car, then it's your loss. (And your car payment) I'll just go along not knowing what a monthly car payment is, because I never had one before. ( Nor will I ever!)
 2ufo
Msg: 287
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/11/2018 10:30:47 AM
Currently, I have 2 cars.
A 2004 Honda CR-V that is sun bleached and has a tape cassette player. I said I'd give this one to my son when he got his license but I'm thinking about keeping it and offering him something else.

My other is a 2014 Suburu Forester. It's ok, but I'm actually thinking about selling it.
Why? Cause I prefer my old CR-V.

So not impressed by a guy's mode of transportation.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 288
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/12/2018 6:57:28 AM

So not impressed by a guy's mode of transportation
if it is just a mode of transportation, it shows little more than social status. to a 'car guy', it is an expression of who they are. the Harley crowd, the 4x4 guys, the tuners or the muscle cars, all very different but one thing in common, you will be going to the opera solo as we'll all be in the garage with our toys.
 julystorm22
Msg: 289
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/12/2018 8:04:21 AM
You see very few beaters around these days.

A guy without a car is undateable in rural Saskatchewan where I live. To me it either says "poor" or "multiple DUIs so no license". No man or woman here goes without a car by choice here. In bigger cities though its different. Good public transportation and expensive parking means many people forego having their own vehicle. Transportation takes up a third of my budget. Vehicle payments, insurance, oil changes and gas total me on average $1100 a month. A vehicle is a need for me though as I am a home health care assistant and drive all over the place in my vehicle for work. Also, things like eye appointments, dentist appointments and Walmart runs I have to drive to Yorkton which is 25 minutes north of my town and then sometimes I have to make trips to the big city which is Regina which is 1.5 hours away. In the winter especially, hauling kids to their activities or to daycare or to other peoples' houses, to go without a car would be torture. It gets too cold here to do all that walking, not to mention all the snowdrifts would be exhausting.

A guy needs a vehicle. A vehicle does say a lot about him. And here, most guys have 4x4 vehicles, often trucks. It is very noticeable when a guy only has a car. A guy who has only a car probably doesn't do much outdoors, only uses his car to go from place to place within town limits or on the highway. It tells me he is an "indoors guy". I much more prefer "outdoors guys", the ones who camp, fish, hunt, skidoo and the works.
 2ufo
Msg: 290
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/12/2018 9:29:41 AM

if it is just a mode of transportation, it shows little more than social status. to a 'car guy', it is an expression of who they are. the Harley crowd, the 4x4 guys, the tuners or the muscle cars, all very different but one thing in common, you will be going to the opera solo as we'll all be in the garage with our toys.

Opera? Ick.
I'd rather be in the garage.

I am not impressed by what he drives but by what he knows and does.

I understand passions. My dad loved cars and was rebuilding a 1932 something or other (obviously, cars are not MY passion). I'd hang around the garage with him, talking and handing him tools or running inside to get him some iced tea. Did he think to impress my mom with it? No, he did it because he loved tinkering with cars.

So, still not impressed with a guys mode of transportation.
But I'll respect his passions.

Gotta run -- car shopping today. Gonna hit up Honda (probably an Insight, maybe another CR-V)
 siisaa
Msg: 291
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/12/2018 3:53:32 PM

Gotta run -- car shopping today. Gonna hit up Honda (probably an Insight, maybe another CR-V)

Good luck! Car-shopping is very stressful so I'd prefer to do it only once every 10 years or so.
 2ufo
Msg: 292
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/14/2018 5:32:21 AM
Thanks.
I don’t find it terribly stressful - but I usually go to someplace where there’s one price so at least one piece of stress is lessened.

I drove a CR-V, an Insight, a Civic and a hybrid Accord yesterday. I really like the hybrid Accord and I’m already thinking colors... the last thing to choose before buying.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 293
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/15/2018 8:01:53 PM

A man and his car...

Now this will show my age. If I ever come into some extra money I would love to obtain a 1962 Studebaker Silver Hawk. I'd replace the standard 289ci engine with something larger. Not talking about the Golden Hawk. The GH had the fins in the back which I never care for. The SH was a nice looking machine.

To bad one can't upload photos on POF. Those who are older may remember the car I'm talking about. The Studebaker Golden and Silver Hawk was Studebaker's response to the Ford Thunderbird.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 294
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/16/2018 4:02:23 AM
Start looking at the Stude bodies carefully. Notice the body lines. The Golden Hawk was just a Champion. (Or Speedster) with extra formed sheet metal added. The Commander, and President had the same thing, all based off the Lark body. Studebaker wasn't doing well after the war. Instead of stamping new, one piece fenders and such, they were taking extra panels and welding them on top of existing body parts. Those enclosed cavities rusted up badly, because paint never got to those parts. For years, I used to think the different body styles were different from the base models, until it was pointed out to me. Now I can't look at any of them without seeing the base model lines.

Their last major body change was 1954, or 1955, with the Lark cab style. The Champion had been around since 1953. 1964 was a desperation move for them.

Studebaker, in a way, is kinda sad. They were considered the oldest carmaker in the US, altho I can't see why they tied the wagon works to car making. What bailed the company out was WW2, and I suspect if it wasn't for the army truck works, Studebaker would have gone under in the 50's. ( My opinion, only)
 CBGB77
Msg: 295
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/16/2018 8:14:49 AM
So sad that Volkswagen announced the death of the VW Beetle

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/09/a-bugs-death/570310/

I owned 2 back in the 70s:

My 63 VW Beetle circa 1970

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/My%20Cars/Mycars005.jpg

My 1970 VW Super Beetle and 73 Honda Civic circa 1974

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/My%20Cars/Mycars004.jpg
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 296
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/16/2018 7:06:02 PM
Since I grew up in South Bend Indiana (Studebaker's headquarters) and my dad worked for Studebaker I'm well aware of the history. The Lark was first produced in 1959. The Hawk was very similar to the President. We owned a 1951 Champion and the Champion body was larger and different than the Hawk. I owned a 1962 Lark. Studebaker's closed because of a numbeer of reasons. Bad management and a union unwilling to negotiate.
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/19/2018 9:10:05 PM
I've been into cars since I was a kid. I had a long career in the high performance/racing industry so I had a lot of very nice cars and trucks. Some were featured in magazines. My standard of clean tends to be different than others. My kids will comment on how clean my car is and I'll be thinking it needs to be detailed. When it comes to dating, most of the time I'll clean the car a little more before I meet someone. I've been doing that since I was a teen. Reminds me of a song from DJ Jazzy Jeff in '91 -

Then six o'clock rolls around
You just finished wiping your car down
It's time to cruise so you head to the summertime hangout
It looks like a car show

Yup... used to clean the car on Friday nights then head out to the local cruising areas in the Summer. Those were good times. I miss that!
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/19/2018 9:16:48 PM

Ok Honestly this is a simple question with a very simple answer. Since I been in he auto industry for iver 20 years and I see what kind of cars attract what people here is my answer. When a guy has a fancy car, clean and well maintain and within in ten years old that should not be a problem. Keeping a vehicle clean and well maintain tell alot good about the person.

For some people, a car is a way to get from point A to point B. For other people, it's a reason to do it!

Years ago I had someone come to my house to look at a car I was selling. He looked at it, we went for a ride, then he asked if he could use my bathroom when we got back. He did that then we talked for a few minutes before completing the transaction. Towards the end he told me he really didn't have to goto the bathroom earlier. I was like "huh". He then said that he wanted to see what the inside of my house looked like. There would be a good chance I took care of the car if the house was taken care of. Good point! I've seen some cars that looked like dumpsters with a steering wheel. I'd hate to see what their houses look like.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 299
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/20/2018 7:16:17 AM
was a car show directly across the street from my shop on sunday so I ran home and grabbed the van. I cleaned it for the labor day event so did bother doing it again. pulled in and opened the doors displaying it with all my camping gear and hardly clean. it was a hit! most thought it was a 'theme' to give the illusion that I camped in it! those that know the truth appreciate that I built it to use, not just display.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 300
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/20/2018 3:20:47 PM

Since I grew up in South Bend Indiana (Studebaker's headquarters) and my dad worked for Studebaker I'm well aware of the history. The Lark was first produced in 1959. The Hawk was very similar to the President. We owned a 1951 Champion and the Champion body was larger and different than the Hawk. I owned a 1962 Lark. Studebaker's closed because of a numbeer of reasons. Bad management and a union unwilling to negotiate.

There was a LOT of other reasons why Stude went under. One, was employees punching in absentee workers. Another, was employees hiding out in the plants, sleeping. Ever go to an auction of a Studebaker employee's belongings? One I went to, the guy had new starters, generators, alternators, carbs, fuel pumps and such. Hundreds of them. Another, had gas torch sets. About 40 of them, along with air wrenches, drills, drill bits, and other assorted tools all belonging to Studebaker. Employee theft was rampant in that place.

Lots of things not talked about, did that place in also. Both sides killed that plant.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...