Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 301
view profile
History
A man and his car...Page 14 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

There was a LOT of other reasons why Stude went under. One, was employees punching in absentee workers. Another, was employees hiding out in the plants, sleeping. Ever go to an auction of a Studebaker employee's belongings? One I went to, the guy had new starters, generators, alternators, carbs, fuel pumps and such. Hundreds of them. Another, had gas torch sets. About 40 of them, along with air wrenches, drills, drill bits, and other assorted tools all belonging to Studebaker. Employee theft was rampant in that place.

Lots of things not talked about, did that place in also. Both sides killed that plant.

All of what you said happened. My dad told me about it and lots more. The employees sleeping and punching out and leaving was a result of the union not standing up to their members and management didn't have the power to discipline the employees. Their last president, Sherwood Egbert, was especially disliked. Dad said they use to call him egghead Egbert. When Stude's closed 5,000 men were put out of work with no advanced working. In a city of 100,000 (roughly 20,000 men) this created a virtual depression for South Bend and the surrounding area. A few of the old Studebaker buildings are still standing today. Studebaker had a proving ground west of town. Many of the tree's were cut down to form the word "Studebaker" if one flew above the area. Now it's a county park and the name can no longer bee seen.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 302
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/22/2018 8:11:10 AM
South Bend didn't help themselves by hanging onto those old buildings. The Block foundry was in horrible condition back in the 90's, yet it stayed up until 2012. ( If I remember correctly) I was in there back in 94, holes in the roofs, busted windows, the parkay flooring was rotting away. ( small blocks of wood on dirt)

I did some work for a Dennis Lambert. He bought the old stock parts that were still on hand, and marketed them the way a smart businessman would. The drivers club thought he was scrapping them. No, he sold them. He managed to liquidate the leftovers, and made a nice profit for himself. South Bend gave him the engineering building acrossed the street. On the outside, it looked ok. Inside was a huge mess. He gave me a quick tour of it, mostly for some overhead doors that he wanted moved. The City was going to tear that building down after he was done with it.

The city actually got hooked badly on the whole Stude plant. Had they torn it down back in the late 60's, they wouldn't have been saddled with tons of EPA regs that was put in place before they tore it down. I'd bet it cost them more to tear it down, than for Studebaker to build the buildings. The city thought they could attract businesses to move into them. They would have been better off giving them away, instead.

Plant 8 is still there, empty for the most part. A couple small businesses still exist in there. One, a trash recycling business, has made a mess of what they have. The County has the proving grounds. They keep trying to make a go of it, changing activities to suit a fickle population. Bosch owns another part of it, I'm not sure what they do out there.

If you think about it, most large corporations with huge buildings tend to become white elephants when they close down operations. Seldom, if ever, do other large businesses move into replace them. Their buildings were built for their circumstances. Local government might as well bulldoze them, and let new businesses do whatever they want to on the vacant land.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 303
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/22/2018 8:51:12 AM
https://www.navistarprovinggrounds.com/Company/AboutUs

The County has the proving grounds. They keep trying to make a go of it, changing activities to suit a fickle population. Bosch owns another part of it, I'm not sure what they do out there

ACTUALLY:
Bendix Woods County Park is the name of a park located in Olive Township, St. Joseph County, Indiana, south of New Carlisle. The park is under the control of the St. Joseph County Parks and Recreation Department.
The name Bendix Woods originates from the Bendix Corporation which donated the land (Of the original 840 acres, Bendix donated approx. 15o or so acres) to the county for the creation of a park. The park's historical significance, however, dates to its establishment by the Studebaker Corporation, formerly of nearby South Bend, Indiana as the first model test facility for an American automobile company

Following the collapse of Studebaker's U.S. production facilities in 1963, the land was acquired by Bendix Corporation which used the grounds for corporate purposes. In 1996 Bosch purchased the property; in 2015 Navistar acquired it from Bosch and renamed it "Navistar Proving Grounds".

Tree grove spelling Studebaker.

In 1938 the company planted 8,000 pine trees in a pattern that, viewed from above, spelled "STUDEBAKER".

In late December 2004, the "STUDEBAKER" tree planting, recognized as one of the world's largest living advertisements and on the National Register of Historic Places, was severely damaged in a Christmas week ice storm.[9] However, it continues to stand; in 2011 a grant was awarded for its long-term management and preservation,[7] and a management plan was completed in 2012.[8] Dead and diseased trees were removed in 2013 and 2014, and volunteers planted replacement saplings between April 15 and April 19, 2015.[1

When my kids were young we would go snow tubing at Bendix Woods. From atop the "hill" you could see for miles!
 purplerider1200
Msg: 304
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 9/23/2018 4:49:02 AM
There used to be a ski slope there. That was lit up at night, I could see it from my house. That happens to sit next to the Kankakee Marsh, which is why you can see so far from there. I live on the south side of the same marsh, which is why I can see it.

Makes sense, that the tree grove is on the historical register. It should be.
 dinno76
Msg: 305
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 10/7/2018 2:57:51 PM
Women do not care about what kind of car a man drives they just care that it is not stolen. They always ask me that question. I always wonder why ?
 JGL209
Msg: 306
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 10/21/2018 10:23:10 AM
I'm not a woman obviously but I think women care. Some young women with no car themselves might not care or if they're on drugs or ghetto/ white trash. You'd be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.
 ohenryx
Msg: 307
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 10/21/2018 1:11:59 PM
I think women care to the extent that your car is clean and reliable. They would not want to get in a car that is trashed out inside, and neither would I, as far as that goes. Certainly not if I were dressed up for a date. And I would not want to ride with someone in their car if I was afraid their car might leave us stranded.

For the most part, a man’s car is just one more hurdle that he must clear, not something that would earn you “bonus points”. Exception if you drive a Lamborghini.
 RefinedRibbon
Msg: 308
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:26:57 PM
Some guys do this even the secure ones I dated a guy that first meet me he came with his nice care the second time he came with a truck with some some build house he had in the back he was testing me. Well I am cancer sign I like security but fancy things shiny things do nothing for me as long as your clean and carry yourself well maybe you don't wan't people know what you got. My last ex trusted me I lived in mini mansion I did ask for anything but it was lonely living in big house . A car does have to be a sport care but as long as its not look like its been git by a bus a few times I guess thing I don't even drive someone has to take me for who I am my anxiety gets to me more a submissive for HOH like guy but guy gotta get some things in order. Don't get a guy with a sports car he will treat that as number one only a women number 2 get someone even if its a town and country even mini vans have updated put bikes and stuff in the back.
 RefinedRibbon
Msg: 309
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:28:46 PM
As long he does not live in a shack but its good to put in good impression like 1950s date does not have to be a sports car.
 Coma_White
Msg: 310
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/8/2018 3:24:32 AM

Some guys do this even the secure ones I dated a guy that first meet me he came with his nice care the second time he came with a truck with some some build house he had in the back he was testing me. Well I am cancer sign I like security but fancy things shiny things do nothing for me as long as your clean and carry yourself well maybe you don't wan't people know what you got. My last ex trusted me I lived in mini mansion I did ask for anything but it was lonely living in big house . A car does have to be a sport care but as long as its not look like its been git by a bus a few times I guess thing I don't even drive someone has to take me for who I am my anxiety gets to me more a submissive for HOH like guy but guy gotta get some things in order. Don't get a guy with a sports car he will treat that as number one only a women number 2 get someone even if its a town and country even mini vans have updated put bikes and stuff in the back.

What?
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 311
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/8/2018 6:20:13 AM
she doesn't drive! her date needs a car/truck that isn't dented or in rough shape but cant be a sports car. hauling a dirt bike in your minivan is fine but it must be clean! oh, don't even think about getting dirty while you ride it.
 jerseynative7
Msg: 312
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/8/2018 1:34:54 PM
I guess Im a car snob. I like trucks, jeeps or suvs. If a guy shows up in a beat up POS full of junk , his home is prolly also that way.
 2ufo
Msg: 313
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/8/2018 2:03:35 PM
<---- New car! New car!
Less than 600 miles so far.
Wheee...!
 ohenryx
Msg: 314
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/8/2018 4:46:36 PM

<---- New car! New car!
Less than 600 miles so far.
Wheee...!

I absolutely, unequivocally, 100% beyond the shadow of a doubt can assure you that men do not give a s__. Not one iota.

What you look like in a bikini, how many dates before you get frisky, and (maybe) can you make intelligent conversation.

Your car? Nope.

Can you eat spaghetti without a bib? Nope.

Can you discuss (intelligently and coherently) Einstein's theory of relativity? Nope.

Congratulations on the new car though, I hope it makes YOU happy.
 2ufo
Msg: 315
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/8/2018 5:03:04 PM
^^^
Yep! Makes me happy!

So does my 14 yo CR-V.

And I don’t give a s__ what some guy drives either.
Not one iota.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 316
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/8/2018 5:40:03 PM
LOL, Actually a few men DID fault me for driving my big black pick'emup truck.
"Don't you know women don't drive trucks?"

Hmmmm? Nope, guess I missed THAT memo!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 317
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/9/2018 8:39:25 AM
I don't have an exciting car.
I can eat spaghetti without a bib and discuss Einstein intelligently
and coherently.
I'm frisky walking down the street.
But I look like shyte in a bikini.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 318
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/9/2018 8:54:25 AM
going out on a limb here but I think what he really meant was how you look without the bikini.
 ohenryx
Msg: 319
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/9/2018 9:22:09 AM

browneyesboo
I can eat spaghetti without a bib

We always knew you were high class, Boo, and this proves it conclusively! 😊

On a more serious note, a few years back I had lunch with a woman I was dating and her adult son. He was about 25, a decent guy, but not very mature for his age. He said something about was it all right for him to have the ribs, and I replied, “Sure, why not?” Seems he had recently had a first date that didn’t go well. He ate ribs, made a mess of it, and the young lady kept frowning at him. Like I said, not very mature (or worldly wise) for his age.

browneyesboo
But I look like shyte in a bikini.

I’ll be the judge of that! I have found that many women in my age group are much more critical of their appearance than I am. Especially their appearance unclothed or partially clothed. By the time we get that far along, I am so excited to be there, with her, that the main thing I see is the smile on her face, the gleam in her eye.

YMMV
 ohenryx
Msg: 320
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/9/2018 9:23:13 AM

Ladyinred0407
"Don't you know women don't drive trucks?"

Hmmmm? Nope, guess I missed THAT memo!

Hell, in my part of the world, everybody drives trucks. Or SUVs.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 321
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/9/2018 9:41:18 AM
"I absolutely, unequivocally, 100% beyond the shadow of a doubt can assure you that men do not give a s__. Not one iota. What you look like in a bikini, how many dates before you get frisky, and (maybe) can you make intelligent conversation.
Your car? Nope."

>>>generally, a fellow isn't looking to take your car to bed, but you, so your car isn't important unless it represents something he's looking for in a partner (look, she can drive a stick shift!). as a car nerd, i will focus on who drives what but that's not a deciding factor. still, Henry reminds me of when i used to do the "import tuner scene", which was younger generation in Hondas. One fellow showed up riding shotgun in his gf's Honda Del Sol, white with pink accents. She had a model figure, and i don't mean pinup model. the homeboys would sneer she paid to have the car built from her modeling proceeds, and the guy wasn't macho for not driving him in his car.

I wanted to say, "he still got here in a hot rod, and he's going home to park his shoes under her bed. you got here in a minivan and you're going home to your hand." but then the lady realized there was a crowd around her car, shucked off her denim shorts to reveal bikini bottoms and threw a slender leg over the "hood" of the car, like she was posing for a poster of a Lamborghini. and the homies swooped in to take photos, and i looked at her bf's face. obviously, he didn't feel emasculated in the least bit. he knew what he had, and it was better than the sweating masses had.

if you think your car is an appliance, you likely don't care. if you think your car is a status symbol, you care. if you like cars for their performance, you care about the car. and if the owner of the car is roaring hot...you don't care WTF they're driving so long as you get to explore the back seat often.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 322
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/9/2018 10:12:09 AM

if you think your car is an appliance, you likely don't care. if you think your car is a status symbol, you care. if you like cars for their performance, you care about the car. and if the owner of the car is roaring hot...you don't care WTF they're driving so long as you get to explore the back seat often.
to many, it is just an appliance. clean or dirty, old or new, cheap or expensive or possibly not care at all. to a car guy, it is much more. my jag appeals to gold diggers, my van attracts a crowd that is more to my liking and my p.u. truck is just a truck. I take the truck on first dates and the van after a few. haven't touched the jag in monthes.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 323
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/9/2018 5:01:12 PM

Hell, in my part of the world, everybody drives trucks. Or SUVs.

Which is a pure image thing when one doesn't need a truck (or SUV). Big difference between getting a roomy car when you don't really need that so much VS getting some big truck. A guy who's not going to be hauling anything where a truck would come into play on any semi-regular basis -- it's basically just "high school games". Why in the hell would I go out of my way to pay way more for something that carries a hell of a lot more weight with poor gas mileage with a big bulky outside container, thus paying much more in gasoline too? Insecurities? "Get 'er done, Skeeter!"

I say the same thing on some level about SUVs to single folks with no kids nor ever really have to pile a bunch of people in their car. I'm not saying get a pinto -- but really? :)
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 324
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/10/2018 7:59:00 AM
"it's basically just "high school games". Why in the hell would I go out of my way to pay way more for something that carries a hell of a lot more weight with poor gas mileage with a big bulky outside container, thus paying much more in gasoline too? Insecurities? "Get 'er done, Skeeter!""

>>>keeping up with the Joneses. following the lemmings over the cliff. the amusing part was when gas hit $4 and more at the pump--suddenly all those "big truck, big belt buckle" owners with nary a scratch in the pickup bed, decided they just didn't need to have that big gas gulper any longer.
 HUMHUMA
Msg: 325
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 11/28/2018 3:19:00 AM
AND must be you could be a woman who needs nice cars and THINGS to survive.....might be the guys going thru a divorce and is living on the edge financially.....he might be the nicest guy in the world....never know!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...