Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 26
A man and his car...Page 2 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Convertible Vette here. 2012.

If a flashy car offends her, good riddance.

Getting a tan is easier now.

Costco runs? Not so much.

It's not a mid life crisis.

More like a no wife opportunity.

I genuinely earned 2 speeding tickets :)
 Cdan1957
Msg: 27
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 8:56:47 AM
^^^^as much as I like the new vettes I wouldn't be caught dead in one. I owned one when I was 22. The message "old guy in vette" sends out is not one I want to convey but I am a lot older than you. I was kidding with my SO and said "I am going to buy a vette", her response was "I dont ride in penis cars"
 NYCKOSI
Msg: 28
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 9:28:41 AM
From one extreme to another is a problem. Having a junker it shows how he lives and his life style. Also having something extreme expensive, you need to question that. Both are uncomfortable to deal with. To have a good quality car and it shows that is being maintained shows one positive side.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 29
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 9:46:42 AM
A man in a nice truck would catch my attention. Nothing says masculine and rugged like a pick up truck. Bonus if he's got a big dog in the passenger seat.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 30
A woman and her Aerostar...
Posted: 4/7/2016 9:58:08 AM
I dunno, but a gal driving in an Aerostar triggers suburban flashbacks.

A mundane existence. A mobile child care facility.

Food stuck in the seat belts and skittles between the seats.

Post-It notes on the dashboard. Honey-doos.
 gtomustang
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/7/2016 10:14:31 AM
Corvettes are technical marvels, but since 1968 it seems like they stopped worrying about making it easy to get in and out of. Still, the worst car has to be the Lotus--there is absofriggingly no way to climb out of one of those rollerskates in a dignified manner. And I do mean climb--you don't step out of that beast. AMG made a two seater Mercedes replication of their old 300, I thought that thing was a bear to climb out of. It might be impressive to arrive in, but then you crawl out onto your hands on the pavement like a drunk, and there goes your image...

still, if a fellow expects a lady to shave her legs, he can do a little cleaning up of his own ride. I was lucky today, it was warm enough to rain instead of snow, so I soaped up the truck I care little about, and let the rain do the rest. I don't imagine anyone's going to drop to their hands and knees to see if I did a complete wash of it, but it looks like I cared a little bit to get off two days of road salt from the snow this weekend. With 176,000 miles and no rust, the little bit I do likely helps, and it wouldn't cost much to go to the dollar store and get some soap, a sponge and a bucket.

old mechanics have a joke--its easy to tell drivers who hate driving, their cars tend to suck.

Cassie, your friend's Chevy--are the taillights in the rear bumper, or above it? Does the roofline taper back into the taillight section, or end at the rear tires?
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 32
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 10:20:12 AM

............had a thing for VW's...my gawd, he bought this fixer upper.
A VW station wagon....because it was cheap on gas for commuting to work..it was BRIGHT ORANGE.
Didn't bother him to drive it....I had to once....I was embarrassed...lol.

LOL, /Grrrrrr, I read that and part of me wanted to laugh and part of me wanted to cringe.
The only vehicles parked in the drive/sat in the garage, when I was a kid, were the wrecked VW's my father bought. He fixed them up, perhaps changed out an engine or two, (actually it was me who did that) repainted them, sold them and started over, from scratch. It WAS embarrassing to be seen in half wrecked/half fixed cars.
Now my parents had an old faded red VW van, I was taught how to drive, when I was in 3rd grade.
Learned to drive better from a bright orange VW Karmen Ghia.

Sooooo it is not the age or make of a car, I take notice, to. It IS how well maintained, how well kept up. Can we get out and about safely?
Does it look safe? Does it feel safe?
LOL Is it red?
 Kay9876
Msg: 33
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 10:22:28 AM

Msg. 28: Convertible Vette here. 2012. If a flashy car offends her, good riddance.

The flashy car itself “offends” some people, possibly because they assign an incompatible-for-them personality to the driver.

Other people assume that most drivers with flashy cars like flashy cars. The type of vehicle isn’t a big deal, one way or the other, unless its cost is outside the owner’s income range. In that case, the car is often a demonstration of poor financial decision-making and/or a desire to compensate for a perceived weakness, either of which can impact more than vehicle ownership.

People’s vehicles offer information, but they never tell the whole story about their owners. As for me, my 2013 Honda Civic says as much about me as my 2002 Ford Focus said before it.
 hemingway234
Msg: 34
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 10:27:02 AM
I'd hate to see his home....... or your home if you got involved with him someday. It's a red flag.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 35
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 11:36:10 AM
I think the car's interior is the key to understanding a personality.

Car's exteriors get filthy under some of the most ridiculous circumstances. Getting puked on at 70 mph by a passenger of the car in front of me comes to mind. Cars that we've bought and paid for can start rusting in spots we never dreamed possible. People wince at the sight of a vehicle merely because of color or model - rust or not. Anyone ever figured out how to stop birds from poop-bombing the windshield? How to stop squirrels or deer from dashing out into traffic?

The interior of the vehicle is where that person LIVES about 10% of their life. That's totally under THEIR control. What do you see there? Stale french fries under the seats? Powdered sugar or salt or sesame seeds scattered in the cracks along the dash? Half a dozen half-broken kids' toys stuck under the rear seat? Layers of hair spray or gel stuck to the control knobs on the radio? Globs of pet hair stuck to the felt on the ceiling? -- Or is is loaded with a bunch of nasty, permanent stains and reeks of that industrial Febreeze smell they use if they dump it off at an auto detailing shop for an afternoon? It doesn't take a criminal science degree to figure what goes on in that vehicle most of the time.

I carefully detail out my car twice a year. That's not just a quick run-through with a ShopVac - I polish and scrub and vacuum and all kinds of cleaning stuff. It's an 11 year old hatchback wagon, with a loose exhaust pipe, 127,000 miles and a few spots of rust scattered around. My friends LIKE riding in my car - and it's not just because I'm the sober driver - it's because a lot of other people neglect the hell out of their vehicle interiors. They don't even know that 3-4 times a week the trunk and back seat area are loaded with trash bags from my PT custodial job. (The place I clean has their dumpster about 50 yards from the building door and I have to shuttle them)

Just like with so many other aspects in life; we get judged not by the contents of the book - just by it's cover.
 gtomustang
Msg: 36
trust your car to the man...who pays the restuarant bill
Posted: 4/7/2016 11:39:05 AM
oh goodness, a VW station wagon...are we talking Dasher, or those old 412 jobs that were supposed to take over for the VW in the American market? my mother had the latter when I was a kid, replaced the engine once, and the factory drain holes in the floor would leak when we went thru puddles, so when my mom would stop the car, she had warn everyone to raise their feet,b/c the water would actually slosh out from under the seats.

good times. But today, one in satin pearl white with red interior sitting low on Fuch wheels would be cool.

Danimal, funny you mention interiors. My turbo T'bird was two colors when I was changing fenders, and took it with a friend to a wedding where she was a brides maid. met a gal there, also a bridesmaid, and offered both of them a ride to reception in my car. The lady laughed at the outside, but then she got inside (black leather, never again--can you say "Frying pan in July"?) and was so amazed she said out loud how the car looked so bad outside and so great inside..and then realized that wasn't a nice thing to say to a stranger she just met.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 37
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 11:43:54 AM

Learned to drive better from a bright orange VW Karmen Ghia.

Loved that car. If I am not mistaken it was designed by Pirin Farina, and Italian design firm that usually did Maserattis and Ferraris. I just thought it was so cool, along with the Alpha Romeo convertible, what was it called, Spider?
 JJBean21
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/7/2016 12:18:05 PM

Corvettes are technical marvels, but since 1968 it seems like they stopped worrying about making it easy to get in and out of. Still, the worst car has to be the Lotus--there is absofriggingly no way to climb out of one of those rollerskates in a dignified manner. And I do mean climb--you don't step out of that beast. AMG made a two seater Mercedes replication of their old 300, I thought that thing was a bear to climb out of. It might be impressive to arrive in, but then you crawl out onto your hands on the pavement like a drunk, and there goes your image...still, if a fellow expects a lady to shave her legs, he can do a little cleaning up of his own ride.

OMG....the tears are rolling down my face....this is hilarious. Thanks for brightening my day!! My ex had a 'penis" car a.k.a corvette. It was a bright red (year 76) and he thought it was wonderful and felt like everyone envied him when he drove down the street. I am not a big corvette girl, nor BMW, or Mercedes, or even Lexus. I like SUV's....I have a Chevy Equinox. But anyways....yes the guy who showed up in this junker also had a messy interior, rust, and no it wasn't safe to drive. He also had a disgusting, messy, house. He himself was nicely dressed and clean. He was as sweet as ever, kind, but a little on the selfish side with spending money. He had no issues spending money on himself to a degree. But as far as cars? Nope. He kind of reminded me of an adolescent teenager when it came to cars, though. It seems like you can tell a lot about a PERSON by the car that they drive. Thanks for these responses.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 39
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 12:38:04 PM
When I see a woman driving a big truck, she might as well have a penis.

If she has tats to boot, she might as well also have a hairy chest.

I like my women to be feminine.

* I don't mean there's anything wrong with those types, they're just not MY type and yes I know they won't lose any sleep over it.

( I don't need any motorbike mamas coming up to me saying a la Trump " NOBODY is more feminine than me " )
 cassie2425
Msg: 40
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 2:01:40 PM
GTO, it's a 67 and its black....hey, I'm a girl. He said something about 630 hp. Does that sound right? I know he's playing with the motor.

Butter...I have the Escape, and a tattoo of cherry blossoms, and ones 4 Harley's, 1 Yamaha and 1 Honda. Still female, still feminine. I love corvettes, it's a hold over from the 60s and they're beautiful and I want one. I'll take a new Mustang GT convertible too...oh, and that Aston Martin convertible, nice. There is a nice white Bentley convertible that lives a few blocks from me, lady owned. Very smart looking car.
 Like2dance
Msg: 41
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 2:51:26 PM
Most of the women I have dated drove BMWs it seems. A few drove Mercedes of various models. One a Land Rover, another a Jaguar.
 ndm147
Msg: 42
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 3:04:46 PM
I drive a BMW. This is my third one but I lived in Germany. Many guys I have dated comment on the car, but this is Texas and most guys drive pick up trucks.

I dated one guy who had a piece of crap car, and he was asking his mother for money to repair it. I went to his apartment and it was filthy and cluttered. When I stepped in the door of his apartment, I realized he was a loser as in mentally ill. I walked right out at that point, but his car did give me reason to question if this guy even had a job!
 flman2015
Msg: 43
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 3:40:29 PM

Can you tell a lot about a man by the car he drives?

It can tell a lot but, what it tells varies with the man. A friend of mine, who is quite well off and makes quite a bit of money, drives a 10 year old Honda Civic. He is in his early 30s, great guy, great personality and - that I know of - currently without a girlfriend. We were talking and he mentioned that he was thinking about getting a new car - he mentioned a few cars, rather nice ones, not to mention expensive. I advised him to keep his Civic and, only get one of those he mentioned _after_ he has found "the one".

That way, he can be sure, she (whoever that may end up being) is with him, not for his money and/or material possessions but, for who he is as a person.

One of the basic ingredients of success is: underpromise, overdeliver. ;-)

My car has a little rust and is missing a hubcap.... that's exactly the way I want it... great car :-) I may purchase a replacement hubcap... it bugs me a little that it is missing one but, it is not one of my priorities. ;-)

When the time is right, I'll replace it with something nicer.
 gtomustang
Msg: 44
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 4:33:39 PM
Purplerider, your story reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAFoX3jfvzY&index=2&list=PLc73xBvV2ISYPdc2V97Mc0Qj1E1oYX1Dj

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLmt_VmPwKE

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBxdfUs8v0

though any of the roadkill series is fun. They used to love pulling junk out and getting it to survive a roadtrip--must be so nice to live in the rust free states. But i'd be happier if they licensed and insured them, they must have "Farm equipment" plates out there.

And you're right, Cassie, 630 hp in a UPS box is entirely possible with today's technology.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19260833-GM-LSX-454CID-630HP-Engine-with-Tremec-T56-Magnum-TUET11009-/281947091647

Back in the old days you would have had to buy what's called an L-88 engine to reach that. or maybe he's building the engine himself. As for Mustangs and Aston Martin's, they shared a parent company back when they were doing the designs, you're the third person I've heard notice design similarities. Good eye!

https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-Aston-Martin-sue-Ford-for-stealing-its-design-and-front-grill
 Ouija2025
Msg: 45
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:03:06 PM
Did not care for the Merc
Didn't like the attention the Mustang got ( plus they were always stealing the ponies and letters so it was a
U TANG
Hated the old T Bird. And the club members

He comes in a driving a Countach .. sweet
I drive the mutt mobile
Nose prints, dog hair...
DAmn I sound worst each post LOL
 purplerider1200
Msg: 46
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:21:26 PM
Indiana is NOT a rust free state.

Back in 85, I bought a 73 F-250 in northern Alabama. It would throw a complete oil change for every tank full of gas. So I dropped a $75 buck engine into it, and put 80,000 miles on it. That blew, so, back for another $75 engine. That got new gaskets, seals, bearings, oil pump. 125,000 mile later. it let go. Next one was a $100 buck engine. By then, it had occurred to me, I was still on the original factory muffler. By that time, The suspension was wearing out. I drove that for 35,000 miles. And getting mighty drafty. Then gas got expensive, and I stopped driving it.

My current, a 98 Windstar is another gift vehicle. This one is one of my best. It's clean, fixable rust, quiet, and now runs like a champ. If my vehicle offends you, doesn't fit your expectations, then you get to wear the moniker called gold digger, in my book. I am not paying the extra excise tax just for you. On a new vehicle, in Indiana, a medium priced car carries the excise tax of about $2000. Call me cheap, but there isn't woman one that's worth that.
 Onyx49
Msg: 47
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:58:27 PM
OP, most men don't drive around in expensive cars to impress women, but they don't drive around in wrecked up junk either.
No man that can afford a better car...drives a piece a junk.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 48
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 6:37:40 PM

her response was "I dont ride in penis cars"

What about "vagina" cars? (Edsels)

From Time.com:
"Cultural critics speculated that the car was a flop because the vertical grill looked like a vagina."
 Maleman999
Msg: 49
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 7:37:31 PM
From Time.com:
"Cultural critics speculated that the car was a flop because the vertical grill looked like a vagina."

And I suppose those hood ornaments of something leaning or pointing forward represented penises. Some people have a wild imagination and need to get a life.
 ginghamgal
Msg: 50
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/7/2016 7:48:25 PM
If this ended up being was the "worst" thing about him, I would be happy. The type of car he drives by itself without any other info about him is not enough to form any type of assessment.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...