Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Coma_White
Msg: 51
view profile
History
A man and his car...Page 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Meet Sue Be She. Sue Zoo Key. Be Aime Double You. One Two Three!
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 52
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 6:44:57 AM
Are these gals cousins? ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ LOL
(Good one, Coma!)

It appears, I'm one of those ladies BCC has no reason to like. I drive a big black pickem-up truck, (occasionally with plow as the need arises) and ride on the back of a Harley. I have no tattoos, and only my ears are pierced, one time per ear.
My dream car is the 1972 Chevy El Camino, Black or red with lots of Chrome.
I own and wear dresses, lots of red, pink, and purple. Enuff said.

It's ok BCC, I still like you! LOL

I do believe there is something to be said for what we drive. Men or women. Clean AND safe, and drive sober.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 53
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 7:02:22 AM
You can tell a lot about a person by how he/she takes care of him/herself and his possessions and by the amount of chaos existing in his/her life.

People who appear to have unmanageable lives often have issues with addiction or mental illness.

Healthy, emotionally well-adjusted, functioning adults take care of themselves and their possessions and if they don't, it's at the very least worth asking yourself (and observing) why that may not be the case.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 54
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 7:44:35 AM
You're so funny, ouija2025
vvv

I drive the mutt mobile
Nose prints, dog hair...

hahahah

I drive a Dodge 'Cat-a van'<
Complete with dried up dusty paw prints on hood and windshield~
 gtomustang
Msg: 55
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 9:43:53 AM
Sorry Purp, didn't mean to suggest you had the benefit of a rust free state, just that the guys in those videos do. Still, my GTO came out of a Vegas junkyard, and its dashboard was so cracked from the sun, it looked like the back of a croc. Almost bought a pickup like the one you mentioned, but the cab mounts were rusty and it was a stickshift,so I knew it would be a matter of time before the clutch pedal linkage would bind up. The 361 FT big block could have been fun, tho. As for the poor Edsel (named after Henry Ford's son, to go up against General Motor's advantage of a car brand for every price range), I used to hear the grill was nicknamed the horse collar, and in more recent times it was compared to the lips of a vulva (not Volvo). But one of the things that certainly helped to make the brand synonomous with failure, was that it came out in 1958, which few of us glorifying the 1950's remember as a year of economic depression. car sales were down across the board, just when GM was offering cars with body modifications seen on custom cars (roof scoops, drawer pull knobs in the grill, etc).

but the 1958 Olds, what an ugly mofo in comparison to say, the Chevy of that same year, or the 1957 Oldsmobile. and I like Oldsmobiles.

Ladyinred, if you like the 1972 Elky, here's one to make you smile:

http://studemino.com/specs.asp
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 56
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 9:45:26 AM
I have two vehicles (well, technically, 3 - I own the minivan son drives, insurance reasons): a 15/16 yo Dodge Lamb 4wd quadcab (Dakota for those who don't get the joke - ram :: lamb) and a 1 yo MX-5 (Miata). I am a little, and a lot, of both and I say so in my heading.

Both are fun, in their own ways, inexpensive and paid for. The Miata is my personality. It was also an outward expression of throwing off the shackles of a controlling woman. I am also aware of and love the image of an older gentleman in a little red sport car so much I named her "Cliche." My match is the woman who envisions herself next to me, top down, hair blown all-a-mess, and lovin' it. Bonus points if she sees herself in the left seat, caressing the stick through some mountain switchbacks. Yes, I'll be watching how gently, firmly, and in control she manipulates that particular stick. [um, just got a little flushed as I wrote that last line!]

TK, out for some mountain driving myself this weekend, top down when appropriate.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 57
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 9:51:56 AM
LOL A Studemino? ^ ^ ^ ^ No, GTO, that does not quite hit the mark, good suggestion though!

Bonus points if she sees herself in the left seat, caressing the stick through some mountain switchbacks.

Between the orange VW Karmen Ghia, manual transmission and more so recently the little red sports car I drove, 5 speed, there was a lot of "Shifting".
 Like2dance
Msg: 58
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 11:28:32 AM
Women instinctively qualify men. They look at their car, how new and expensive it is, how clean it is.. They look at how well groomed the man is, his shoes, his watch and to see if his nails are clean.

A few years ago I attended a holiday singles party with a recently divorced single buddy of mine. I drove both of us there in a brand new expensive European car. The primary reason I went was as a wingman to support my longtime friend in getting his life going a a single-again guy. Anyway, he met and chatted up a very nice looking lady he liked and got her number. All three of us walked out together. As we walked her to her car we walked just past mine. She asked "whose car is that?" right out of the blue. I quietly said it was mine. We walked her to her car, returned to mine and left. My buddy called her the next day, the day after and then the third. No return call. Then on about the fourth day I received a message from her that she wanted to go out with me, not him...and she was first date quick and easy if you get my drift. My buddy drove a Camry and over time I noticed he was not able to attract and date good looking women although he is a great guy.

Bottom line: Cars make a huge difference to a guy's dating desirability, just like in high school and college.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 59
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 12:20:48 PM

I love old cars. I can't think of a better way to get to know someone then working on a car together. I've fixed up a few. It's so much fun.

I'm right there with you.

I find that cars are a direct reflection of their owner. One of my dates had a huge pick up truck, I got the sense that he was truly making up for something (which he was, lol). He had planned to make a long drive, and ended up renting a more fuel-economy car, so there goes the loyalty to his truck. He turned out to be an a$$hole, who got bent out of shape when I told him I didn't want to see him again.

Another date had a Denaly, it was very luxurious inside and out, and it reflected on his good taste and smooth way of living life. He took very care of his car and was always well dressed and neat. Everything about our dates was special, romantic, and generous. I put on a good couple of pounds on just two dates, lmao. He had money and wasn't afraid to obtain all that he considered in good taste and abundance.

Another date had a red car, low to the ground, from the 90s it seemed. He thought it must have been the sh*t, but he couldn't drive the poor thing, the entertainment potion was still cassette I believe, and he couldn't handle even a little bit of speed. His GPS was in the voice of Darth Vader, and it complimented him all the way to the destination. I couldn't wait till the date was over. He was the same guy who had taken me to a museum with a coupon, and couldn't even fake he was having a great time. Same guy that scuffed when I told him he was paying for my ice cream, and the gentleman behind him heard the conversation and jumped right in and paid for my ice cream. Now that I think about it, I should have asked for his number, he was way hotter and taller than my date, lmao. He just s*cked all around, just like his car.

Let's just say, the car never fails to be a reflection of its owner.
 ohenryx
Msg: 60
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 12:27:53 PM

If my vehicle offends you, doesn't fit your expectations, then you get to wear the moniker called gold digger, in my book. I am not paying the extra excise tax just for you. On a new vehicle, in Indiana, a medium priced car carries the excise tax of about $2000. Call me cheap, but there isn't woman one that's worth that.

Two observations on your post. Number one, you do exaggerate a bit, don’t you?

At one time the tax Hoosiers most loved to hate, the motor vehicle excise tax is an annual charge on the value of automobiles, motorcycles and light trucks. The payment schedule varies by 17 classifications of vehicle price when new, and ten classifications of age. Payments vary from $12 per vehicle per year for the oldest, cheapest vehicles, to $532 for a new vehicle priced above $42,500.

So exaggerating by a factor of four.

Secondly, “but there isn't woman one that's worth that”. A hell of a thing to say. I begin to understand why you don’t get any dates from here.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like gold diggers, I don’t want to date a woman who is more interested in my wallet than in me. But an attitude like yours is going to repel women like a magical force.
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 12:40:50 PM

You can tell a lot about a person by how he/she takes care of him/herself and his possessions and by the amount of chaos existing in his/her life.

People who appear to have unmanageable lives often have issues with addiction or mental illness.

Healthy, emotionally well-adjusted, functioning adults take care of themselves and their possessions and if they don't, it's at the very least worth asking yourself (and observing) why that may not be the case.

I lean more toward the above. How people care for their posessions, whether modest or substantial, says more than the possessions themselves. It sure as he'll doesn't say anything about finances or taste.

I have a Honda Accord (my daily), a Porsche 911 turbo, Saab Turbo and and an F250 (tow the boat) but my identity isn't tied up in any of them.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 62
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 1:11:45 PM

I hate to sound stereotypical but many a times your car is a reflection of how you carry yourself and life.

Yes and no. It's very dangerous and inaccurate on an individual basis, but for a general assessment where things lean -- sure. There is the self-fulfilling prophecy of people wanting to get X-type of car Because people will judge them. That high-school mentality, among many others in life, help create a big chunk of it. I would say when wanting to be sure on an individual level, it'd be more how it looks on the Inside (clean?).

I think the main thing is what OP was referring to specifically -- not the "type of car he drives" -- but if it's Specifically a POS. Not in relative terms, but an actual rusty junker. On that level, the ball's in his /her court to explain how the connection that he/she is poor Doesn't apply.
 Coma_White
Msg: 63
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 2:04:45 PM
One of the nicest girls I knew that just got married always drove an old car that was really messy inside. I can think of lots of idiots and annoying people that drive nice cars too. I think a person with common sense will gauge things based on a person's personality and actions, not the car they drive or how much money they have in the bank.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 64
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 3:57:27 PM
Since I only drive the $12 variety excise tax vehicles, no they wouldn't be considered "Girl-Getters" We also have a wheel tax in this state. It irks me me that between my Gold Wing, and it's trailer, I shell out more for that, ($40) than my van. ($10)

I wasn't sure of the actual excise tax for a newer vehicle in my state. All I hear is gripes who pay it.

I'll still stand by my original statement. If I have to impress a woman by the vehicle I drive, that doesn't say anything positive about her to me. I've known for years that my Gold Wing's impress no one but me. But then, my once owned POS harley didn't impress me when I went to buy parts for the lousy thing.

Since I'd rather impress a lady for who I am, and what I'd do for her, is much more important to me than what I own. Obviously, that means very little in this day and age. All the ladies I ever met and knew for a while, found this out about me.(Even my ex, she admitted it) Very few want to find this out about me, because they want to be impressed right now, and not later.
 gtomustang
Msg: 65
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 4:12:09 PM
Its an interesting conundrum....if you were interviewing at work for new employees, and one showed up and had to explain why they didn't wear a tie like everyone else did....what first impression would that make? But then, if their resume knocked the socks off the resumes of every other applicant....

those who search for the quick solution, may or may not come away satisfied....to answer a question KJ asked me once, for every rule or stereotype, there are exceptions. But on the other hand, rules and stereotypes exist for a reason...

to use the tool analogy again, the mechanic with the cherry red cabinet of shiny Snap On tools, might be the one who didn't graduate VoTech school and so he never got the chance to get his tools dirty. The shade tree mechanic with the mismatched set of cheap tools, also might be someone who barely uses his tools b/c he cuts corners instead. Ask a soldier if he wants to fight next to the guy who never maintains his rifle :)
 cassie2425
Msg: 66
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 4:46:49 PM
So ..... how about guys? All this chat about how we women judge men based on the type of vehicle and condition of the vehicle he drives...what do you guys judge us on? Our car? Our boobs? What??
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 67
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 4:46:52 PM
What if he arrived riding a nice $200,000 bus? Or $ 2 million subway? Would that impress you? LOL
seriously the question and relative importance of a vehicle may vary by location, smaller city North America vs, NYC vs, large European or Asian city, for example.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 68
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 4:56:17 PM

So ..... how about guys? All this chat about how we women judge men based on the type of vehicle and condition of the vehicle he drives...what do you guys judge us on? Our car? Our boobs? What??

You're trying to make something really simple into something complicated. Either they feel a stirring in their loins, or they don't. There's none of that pesky mental processing involved.
 Like2dance
Msg: 69
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 5:37:02 PM
First of all we don't care what a woman drives or whether she is wearing a hamburger joint waitress outfit, jeans or a black sheath and wearing diamonds. We respond to signs of fecundity: hip to waist ratio, skin, voice, hair and teeth, plus nice boobs for some of us. Then and only then do we move onto personality and all that other stuff.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 70
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 6:55:58 PM
well, a guy testing a woman by turning up in a dirty rust bucket is really not going to succeed with a desirable woman with class. Whether a woman is after someone's money or not cant be decided on short acquaintance. We all know that men with means are far more sought after and that is life. So a man saying that he does not want women who are after his money is like a woman saying she does not want to be wanted for her looks.

I do know a woman who has an old car and a hot sports model who will turn up in the lesser car so as not to intimidate a prospective date but I find that a bit sad really and sooner or later the truth will out.
 cassie2425
Msg: 71
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 7:34:26 PM
^^^^. I would hope by your age or your friend's age or any one over 45-ish that the "intimidate" thing was long gone and relaxed by reality, common sense and intelligence. Intimidate/impress...all b.s. Reminds me of the tread from the lady in Aus who said she and her friends all intimidated men with their homes, yachts and money....still going to bed alone and not because of what they own but what they have...a crappy attitude. IMO. A fancy car may get a man that first or second date but he better have the personality, character, charm, etc. to keep her around. Works the same for boobs. Nice car, nice boobs....do they have staying power?
 gtomustang
Msg: 72
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 8:39:05 PM
I can't speak for every fellow, but if I see a woman in a crowd who is outgoing, friendly, and personable, I might take a closer look at her face and then her figure to decide if she'll be a friend or a lover. If she has a pretty face and figure, however, out here she tends to be already taken, b/c...well, what guy was dumb enough to let her go? And if there was one, no doubt the guys she knows, works with, bumps into at the gym, etc have had an eye on her, are ready for when she's available for dinner.

Life is full of go-getters, and if she's someone who isn't a spectator in life (ie she likes to take charge of her happiness, which makes her attractive in personality), then she's friends with guys who also take charge..and now that she's single, one of those guys is making his move. I've never known a good catch to be single longer than a few months, and that's about the time I would think would be good to wait so as not to be a rebound. apparently, I should worry less about being a rebound and strike while the iron is hot :)

If someone really feels a need to test out their dates, well, that's their prerogative. BUT, they have to understand that its everyone's equal right to test them out, as well...and move on if the test gets failed. those who live by the test, shall die by it...meanwhile, as for the idea that a successful woman is an intimidating one, I guess if she wants to be seen as who she is, not what she's become...she might think taking the material things out of the way, allows a guy to see her for who she is, not her title or whatever else. some of us guys who aren't Superman, like to think we have a chance at impressing the gal out of our league. if she's our equal in brains and personality, why shouldn't she step up to the hottest guy who matches her brains and personality? 0r, as in my case, sleep with the hot guy and then "date" us for our personality and brains. people do split the difference.

but back to Cassie's question, yes, there are hotties i'd love to bone, but to date? yuck, they lack the proper personality. And then there's ones i'd like to date, but a relationship? with their lousy spending habits? inability to handle small problems? drama? inability to stay faithful?
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 73
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 8:57:45 PM

I've never known a good catch to be single longer than a few months

My name is Whatsamattababy. Pleased to meet you ;)
 HereComesYourSun
Msg: 74
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/8/2016 9:54:23 PM
I'd like to think I wouldn't judge a man solely based on what car he drives.
For me - It would fit into this line-up.

1. Looks - fat? skinny? Tall? short? (cause it's what catches your initial attention)
2. Kind? (cause it's how he is in the world)
3. Honest? (cause it's how he is with you)
4. Family guy? (so he doesn't split in the middle of it all)
5. Job? (so we can have fun)
6. Responsible? (so we can still have fun)
7. Ambitious?(so he feels like he's going someplace)
8. Ability to communicate? (so he can tell you about it and listen about it too)
9. House? (so he can ask you to move in and help him with the garden)
10. Car? (so he can pick you up)
 south_city
Msg: 75
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/9/2016 7:42:11 AM

Car is at the bottom of the list. Looks are first because that can determined right away. Personality and intelligence are just as important. But it can take longer to figure out these traits.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...