Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 101
A boy and his Big WheelPage 5 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I've heard nothing makes for a fulfilling relationship like a hot car and a nice rack... I probably need to start watching television to fully understand.
 Llove2laughtoo
Msg: 102
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:02:21 PM

Msg: 102
New a lady many years ago...

Her brother had a really nice show piece of a car, won lots of prizes... lovingly restored... it was his pride and joy...

So he gets into a serious relationship with a woman... They get engaged... She tells him to sell the car to pay for the wedding.... Which he does... he didn't want to but he put her before his car....

She stood him up at the altar..

I bet he's kicking himself in the a$$ and regretting selling the car.
 JJBean21
Msg: 103
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:09:00 PM

But trying to play guessing games on their lifestyle just due to the type of car they're driving is pretty high-schoolish, don't you think?

No, I don't. As others have stated a person's car, home, appearance tells you a lot about who they are and what's important to them and what's NOT important to them. A person with a POS car can have the greatest personality and heart. But in my experience, if his car was a POS then so was the rest of his life....gross house, no steady job, etc. etc.

Especially when the guy follows that unfortunate-but-popular routine, the rest of the experience shouldn't be a One-Way street -- meaning she's no more the panel-of-judges + him the contestant, any more than she's the contestant and He's the panel-of-judges on her.

We are all contestants. It just depends on how badly you want to compete...which could be passively or aggressively or not at all. You do want you want to do in the dating/mating game. Nobody is forcing you to pay for dinner BTW. If you don't want to pay for dinner, then don't.

Or are you concerned someone would judge you?
 Llove2laughtoo
Msg: 104
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:23:31 PM

Msg: 109
But in my experience, if his car was a POS then so was the rest of his life....gross house, no steady job, etc. etc.

That is the same line of thinking many people here have about guys like me who don't own a car, by choice, at this time.

Thank God there are women out there who think outside of the box, and I am so lucky to have found one.
 JJBean21
Msg: 105
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:28:21 PM

That is the same line of thinking many people here have about guys like me who don't own a car, by choice, at this time.

Thank God there are women out there who think outside of the box, and I am so lucky to have found one.

I know a guy who does not own a car....he lives in the city and likes to walk everywhere....even to work. He's a great guy in every way.
So with that being said, nobody thinks less of you if you don't own a car or more of you if you do. That's not the topic or issue in this here box...:)
 Llove2laughtoo
Msg: 106
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:39:18 PM

That's not the topic or issue in this here box.

According to your original post, "can you tell a lot about a man by the car he drives?" you are judging men according to the car they drive. So I can only imagine your reaction if they don't own a car and dare to show to a date with you.
 2ufo
Msg: 107
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:45:47 PM
If a man doesn't drive a car, then what can you tell about him?

Does he not drive because he lives in a large city with really excellent public transportation?
Does he not drive because his license was suspended?
Context.
Context.
Context.
Here in San Antonio, the public transportation has gotten better in the last decade.
It's still terrible when compared with NYC, Boston, London, or Oslo.
If you have a car in Texas, then you use it.
Even if you don't have a license.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 108
view profile
History
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:31:12 PM

No, I don't. As others have stated a person's car, home, appearance tells you a lot about who they are and what's important to them and what's NOT important to them.

Yeah, and many others will state true and not-so-true things. Too many people even middle aged will state/believe things that are high-schoolish, and this belief, to this extent, Definitely is. Someone's mere car model COULD tell you "a lot" in few instances -- outliers. Too many people will THINK they know about a randomly selected person merely on the make/model of their car alone, but they are fools if they really believe they'd have much success in that game. There is such thing as jumping to conclusions too far, based on association, right? Do you think society does this too little or too much? :)

I live right near a very busy street, and see people parking and coming and going all the time. There'll always be people of all different types driving the same category of car that's not a POS and not some Wow car. Some people pay way more than is wise for a car, some people are reasonable, and some people may not be frugal in life, but with a mere car, they don't need/want much besides it being a good buy. It alone is a poor poor marker to see their Lifestyle, for the most part.

But in my experience, if his car was a POS then so was the rest of his life....gross house, no steady job, etc. etc.

Unless he says that he's using his backup because his 2010 Taurus is in the shop (or some other reason) -- yeah. Again, it takes an outlier. Same with a house. Someone could have got a great deal on a great house after the '08 crash, where they bought it for $150k but it's now going for $225k -- and if not for the crash, they certainly wouldn't be in it. Some people don't have kids and will buy a smaller house in the city where the action is, for the same price as a big one in the suburbs that's cheaper (but doesn't look/seem that way at all). Some will live in the same condo building in a similar condo making WAY more money than the next person, and some others financially struggling in the same ones. Due to people not reasonable with their money or having a varying amount on their expenditures in 'Merica, it becomes very hard (and mistaken) to judge based on that Alone in many many cases.

We are all contestants. It just depends on how badly you want to compete...

Well, I wasn't using the analogy of a competition, but just the one's-in-control-the-other's-not, in the judge/contestant comparison. It's silly for it to be like that either way, unless it's one of those isolated instances where Bobby's pleading for a chance with Sally if she'll just let him take her out on 1 date or something. Basically, generally speaking, if the tone/setting is like that on the first few dates with a gal, the guy shouldn't roll with it for very long and back himself in a corner in said one-way game -- but respond by smoothly turning the tables a bit to shake her out of that (gameshow) mindset.

Nobody is forcing you to pay for dinner BTW. If you don't want to pay for dinner, then don't.

Nobody's forcing me to type, walk, drive, etc. Nobody's forcing me to dress adequately and not wear a cheesy "Superman Rulez" t-shirt with pink corduroy pants with bowling shoes to a nice Sat night date. Nobody's forcing some gals to feel Entitled to a guy paying for a date when they do feel that way. Actual Forcing has nothing to do with it, you know that. :)

Many things that are good ways about things aren't forced. That's just one of the very few unfortunate/lopsided way about things, generally speaking, for there to be adequate results in the dating scene.
 JJBean21
Msg: 109
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:01:40 PM

Yeah, and many others will state true and not-so-true things. Too many people even middle aged will state/believe things that are high-schoolish, and this belief, to this extent, Definitely is. Someone's mere car model COULD tell you "a lot" in few instances -- outliers. Too many people will THINK they know about a randomly selected person merely on the make/model of their car alone, but they are fools if they really believe they'd have much success in that game. There is such thing as jumping to conclusions too far, based on association, right?

People are entitled to their opinions. Who are you to say that they are stating true or not so true things? People can share their experiences as per what this topic is about....even if it is/ was jumping to conclusions about a guy and his car. So what?? People experience what they experience....good or bad.

My conclusion is that you need to get in your Superman jammies and go to bed. You argue like a 5th grader. And you sound a little bitter about the whole dating game... Maybe you should wear your pink corduroys and bowling shoes on your next date. It would match your persona which is less than high schoolish..... and you may get a 2nd date out of it....And she'll offer to buy so you don't cry.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 110
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:03:55 PM
My dad has bigger testicles then your dad.

I'm gonna ride a Huffy to my next date and see what her reaction is.

I might even pull her hair if she gets all fussy with me.

vvvvvvv

I am a big time Superman fan.

Can't see myself in speedos anymore, so...no Carnival for this camper.

I used to bring a few props to give to a date to be silly.

Either a print out of a Knight in Shining Armor, or Unicorns and Rainbows.

Used too much ink so stopped that (too many dates).

What I do now with fussy women? I gift them a crab or a piece of coal (looks like a turd).

Stay on their profile for 30 days.

Hahahahhahaha
 JJBean21
Msg: 111
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:10:33 PM

I'm gonna ride a Huffy to my next date and see what her reaction is.

I double dog dare ya. That would be sooooo funny. LOLOLOLOLOL Are you going to wear your Superman shirt, too? hahahaha
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 112
view profile
History
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:47:57 PM

People are entitled to their opinions. Who are you to say that they are stating true or not so true things?

Wait, totally contradicting statements. Re-read those two sentences. :)

People can share their experiences as per what this topic is about....

But I can't? And at no point was I ever even slightly implying that there was something wrong with sharing your POV. That's a good thing.

even if it is/ was jumping to conclusions about a guy and his car. So what??

I'm stating that it's a high-schoolish thing to jump hastily to conclusions off things that are thin-connected. I was explaining why. You disagree. That's what. Are you sure you actually believe people are entitled to their opinions? :)

People experience what they experience....good or bad.

Yes. And people tend to be too stereotypical/categorical by association. Sometimes it can be somewhat accurate, once in a while pretty accurate, and sometimes poorly accurate. The main thing is the solidity (or lack thereof) in the connections.

My conclusion is that you need to get in your Superman jammies and go to bed. You argue like a 5th grader.

Again, read what ya wrote there. :)

It would match your persona which is less than high schoolish.....

People are entitled to their opinions, no need to get so bent out of shape. But yes, you have definitely shown me you are very mature and upstanding by what you wrote. I wasn't going after you, I was going after the expanded POV derived from the original question. Which, by the way, going back to the specific situation POV, I agreed with you as far as a guy driving a true POS to a 1st date -- where it'd be fair to assess he's not exactly in financially good standing, and the ball would be in his court to explain why (if one were to be applied).
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 113
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/10/2016 10:20:09 PM
m church

I got a laugh out of your 7 dealbreakers, well said!!!!.

However No. 3; you would not know who she has slept with in reality unless she has told you so and then I would run for the hills. lol!!
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 114
A man and his car...
Posted: 4/11/2016 7:07:16 AM

With that in mind...
A guy can always get a better car easily...
A woman can't get a better rack quite so easily... (bigger is not always better either)

You haven't met a Dominican, lmao.

Barbies come out of the Dominican Republic. I know a few, and they look damn fine, you can't really tell they had anything done. Some are into the whole fat transplant thing, so no silicone.
 gtomustang
Msg: 115
rack and lube job
Posted: 4/11/2016 7:22:46 AM
I'll counter argue that, in a car-centric society (think of the businesses that provide drive up service. If you went inside and stood in line, by the time you hit the register, you might "upsell" yourself to justify the wait, yet a driveup service might deny you that), NOT considering a car a big deal, is a lifestyle choice. You're choosing to not make it a status symbol. or if you let it get rusty, you're saying you don't believe preventive maintainance results in lowering future repair costs.

of course, it could all be moot--guys likely are more interested in cars, sexist as that may sound. Brad Pitt driving up in a minivan isn't going to scare off every woman in viewing distance. JJB is correct, we're worried we'll be judged before we get a chance to sell why we are so different from everyone else. And, in theory, a judgemental person is doing US a favor by cutting us loose to go find the partner we would jell with. But, in reality, we'd like her to hop in bed first THEN hop out claiming its our broke-ass minivan (and not the size of our Big Wheel). of course, that all assumes we undressed her with our eyes first, and judged how good she's going to look in bed.

I don't recommend blackballing someone just b/c of one thing you see. I do recommend looking for other deal breakers. If you see smoke, then look for fire. I spent the weekend w/ a good friend upset her daughter is finally seeing what I saw 7 years ago. Her live in bf would split every bill right down the middle, even though he made more money than he knew how to spend, and surprise, its been 7 years and he still can't find a ring or even propose. If you're looking for marriage and a baby...that tends to be a lot of smoke in your eye. heck, even if he did come up with a ring, who wants to be with Mr. "Let's go out to dinner where I want to go, bring your wallet"?

south_city
Msg: 116
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 7:39:54 AM

No, I don't. As others have stated a person's car, home, appearance tells you a lot about who they are and what's important to them and what's NOT important to them. A person with a POS car can have the greatest personality and heart. But in my experience, if his car was a POS then so was the rest of his life....gross house, no steady job, etc. etc.

I wouldn't make any assumptions because there are other possible reasons for this. As mentioned before, it could be a backup car to save wear and tear on the nicer car or that person was frugal.

I know a guy who does not own a car....he lives in the city and likes to walk everywhere....even to work. He's a great guy in every way.
So with that being said, nobody thinks less of you if you don't own a car or more of you if you do. That's not the topic or issue in this here box...:)

Depends on location. Not having a car in a big city with good public transportation isn't necessarily a big deal. But if you live in the suburbs, small town, or rural area, not having a car can be a dealbreaker for many people.
 Llove2laughtoo
Msg: 117
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:05:28 AM

Msg: 122
I wouldn't make any assumptions because there are other possible reasons for this. As mentioned before, it could be a backup car to save wear and tear on the nicer car or that person was frugal.

If we were to follow the line of thinking in some of these male bashing threads, not even James Bond has a chance dating online if he is driving a hybrid car,
 Onyx49
Msg: 118
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:12:36 AM
msg-120
Yeah, Dominican Women hit the jackpot when it comes to hot curvy bodies...

Msg-123
No self respecting man drives a Hybrid.....

My puppy took a dokie in my SUV...she may have to go....
 Llove2laughtoo
Msg: 119
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:24:31 AM

No self respecting man drives a Hybrid.....

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101475_ford-f-150-hybrid-pickup-truck-by-2020-reconfirmed-but-diesel-too

http://bestluxurycars2017.com/2017-nissan-gt-r-r36-hybrid/
 Maleman999
Msg: 120
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:57:45 AM
I occasionally hear news stories about Google's development of a self driving car, and how self driving cars could be the wave of the future when in comes to transportation. If no self respecting man drives a Hybrid, how self respecting would it be to sit in a car that drives itself? I guess truck driving would become an obsolete job if someone comes up with a self driving truck. I think I will just stay home and wait for a drone to deliver the pizza I ordered from Domino's.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 121
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 9:47:55 AM
^^^^^
Quite the opposite, the endless possibility of being in an enclosed space with someone else, and not have to worry about driving. You can eat in peace, do your nails, make-up, scratch any part of your body, take a nap, etc.

Taking into account that most people don't know how to drive their car, or drive in general.....a self-driving car would be ideal. No more tailgating, stopping short, not signaling a turn, backing out of an exit, speeding, driving too slow, changing lanes irresponsibly, etc.
 cooldog65
Msg: 122
view profile
History
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 10:03:19 AM
Malfunctions could occur in a self drive car...

https://youtu.be/RnyhkBU1yaw

Demolition Man kind of foretold the future...great movie.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 123
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 10:10:02 AM
Yes because computers and GPS systems are sooo reliable now, they never ever 'crash'..err, ooops..
 B_Hasenpfeffer
Msg: 124
A small boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 11:14:02 AM

the cars had no impact on the outcome of things though

Really?? I always thought that if a guy had all the expensive toys ... cars, mansions, yachts, personal jets and fat bank accounts ... it should seal the deal, right?? And the couple would ride off into the sunset living happily ever after, like in all fairytale romances.

Just curious as to what you think is important for a woman to bring to the table besides your dinner?

Of course, it would be beer

Dinner, beer and a blowjob ... all at the same time.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 125
A boy and his Big Wheel
Posted: 4/11/2016 11:14:56 AM
Only 3 more years til we live in the Bladerunner scene.
I'd not get a driverless car.. if you want to do all the stuff Belle suggested then ride the bus ... people treat that like they in the privacy of their bathroom.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...