Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 201
A man and his car...Page 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
How about those filthy cars that advertise Auto Detailing?

WTF?
 gtomustang
Msg: 202
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/1/2016 3:06:19 PM
when I used to live in a city and walked to most places, I had to go by this busted down pickup with one of those fiberglass shells on the bed, and filling in one broken window was plywood,,,extolling the virtues of pulling oneself up by one's own bootstraps. I don't remember the whole thing, but one quote was interesting: the best way to get off your ass, is to get up on your feet.

still, on a rusty $500 truck held together by bailing wire? the message might have more resonance on something that looked like the owner could afford a nice vehicle by getting out there and working for one...

missed a good automotive swapmeet this rainy sunday. probably had a Vega GT or a Celica for sale, for all I know...:) it gets held in an amusement park parking lot, where people show up at the crack of dawn, light up their stoves, and you smell cooking all morning. like camping on gravel. last year someone was selling a metalflaked two-child-wide helicopter shaped device taken from an amusment ride. totally impractical, but you know you wanted it, maybe turn it into a golf cart or something...
 JJBean21
Msg: 203
dump the ole girl and get a newer model?
Posted: 5/1/2016 5:39:16 PM

wait, the forums are supposed to help?

man, did we fck that one up.

Ok....haven't been on the forums for over 2 weeks or so....and this discussion got off the race track. NO PUN INTENDED.... LOL but highly enjoyable reading what all you GEAR HEAD guys LOVE to talk about.....YOUR WHEELS!!!
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 204
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/1/2016 6:00:18 PM
A Man and his car, . . . . . Mr Bean
 gtomustang
Msg: 205
naw, just cheat on the ole' gal instead with a younger model :)
Posted: 5/2/2016 7:15:56 AM
"Ok....haven't been on the forums for over 2 weeks or so....and this discussion got off the race track. NO PUN INTENDED.... LOL but highly enjoyable reading what all you GEAR HEAD guys LOVE to talk about.....YOUR WHEELS!!!"

>>>ironically enough, I remember a post a month ago asking how to keep a guy's attention, what do men look for in women, what really gets us going, etc. I think we may be answering it in this post. the fun part is when the guy who knows nothing about cars, talks about cars. I don't mean anyone here, just convo's I've had to suffer thru. do women ever start talking about shoes, and another woman jumps in to talk shoes, and everyone knows she doesn't know the first thing about shoes?

maybe not.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 206
Posted: 5/2/2016 8:03:58 AM
We should have in there the man with him motorcycle as well.
Had my share of cars some that I liked and some that I hated.
Wish I had my old MG midget again. That's was a fun little car. Nothing better then to drive a slow car fast out in the canyons. OR how about a 74 914 with an engine converted from a 1.7L to a 2.1L was a tiny little rocket. Damn I can go with lots more cars.
plenty of guys don't know much about cars. The difference is when some wont admit it and refuse to listen.
Even some of us who do know a lot about cars don't know everything about all the cars. We learn something all the time.
 2ufo
Msg: 207
Posted: 5/2/2016 8:06:52 AM
Well, not shoes but purses.
I have to hold my tongue so I don't tell someone that their Louey Vitton is counterfeit while they enthuse about the great deal they got on it.
 gtomustang
Msg: 208
Posted: 5/2/2016 5:09:41 PM
I liked the idea behind (pun intended) 912 and 914 Porsches, since the VW pancake engine is cheaper to modify. As for not telling people their purse isn't what they think it is...I can understand that feeling. not with purses, tho :) couldn't tell a handbag from a clutch.
 JJBean21
Msg: 209
Posted: 5/6/2016 4:00:23 PM

.I can understand that feeling. not with purses, tho :) couldn't tell a handbag from a clutch.

Sure you could....a handbag usually has straps....and a clutch does not...it has a clasp only and a woman carries it... unlike a handbag can be on her shoulder because of the straps. Or were you talking about a clutch in a car? LOL
 2ufo
Msg: 210
Posted: 5/6/2016 7:53:40 PM
^^^^
He was 'double-clutching'.
LOL
 gtomustang
Msg: 211
Posted: 5/7/2016 6:59:58 AM
why thank you, miss bean. I was punnin', but what you said makes sense and its logical. never knew I could say that about something to do with a women's interest...

:) lol
 NYNewtoPSL
Msg: 212
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 7:07:18 AM

Can you tell a lot about a man by the car he drives?

I believe so. Me, I'm a gear head. If I had the money I'd build a 54 bel air coupe to not only go like a raped ape, and look like it belongs on the cover of hot rod magazine, but be as comfortable as my truck. I'm a diesel mechanic I lift heavy things, I have to bend and twist and get into awkward positions daily to work on some of trucks I work on. I have a fully loaded 2014 Silverado crew cab, when my back is killing me, I turn the heated seat on and when it calms down switch it from heated to air conditioned. When it would get super cold in NY winters, I turned the heated steering wheel on. I won't own anything with cloth interior. It will be destroyed however since the day I brought that truck home I kept a plastic steering wheel cover, plastic seat cover, and floor mats in it. I don't do basic bare bones anything, if I'm paying for it I have to love it. I never smoked a cigarette in it, you couldn't tell I was either a grease monkey or smoker. It still has the new car smell and looks as new as the day I got it.

Growing up I either had Cadillacs or pickup trucks. Cars are useless to me, can't haul an engine block to the machine shop, haul a quad or dirt bike, or get lumber or anything needed for house projects with a car. Why a crew cab? My ex asked me that question. The truck I had previous to this one was an 07 Silverado Classic every option available plus a DVD player. Answer-you will NEVER see a minivan in my driveway. If I meet the right girl, and we have kids, I want my kids in something crash worthy, if they spill something on the seats, it cleans up easy. DVD player will keep them entertained. And if I had to pay for it, I'd make sure she had either a fully loaded Tahoe/Escalade/Silverado as well. Seeing how Florida doesn't have emissions I may throw headers and a complete exhaust with tuning and run straight pipes or glasspacks on it. Damn thing is too quiet.

The hot rods I built, the lifted trucks I built, were not only quick, but were loud enough to be heard for miles away. High compression, big Lopey cam, Just like Harley's I don't putt around with loud pipes, I run wide open. Plus it was a great deterrent for deer, never had one run out in front of me. To me, it's not about miles per gallon, smiles per gallon. Plus vehicles can be a form of art, start with a blank canvas and build it to however you want.

However as a reflection of the person, if the car is a roached out clunker and looks like a garbage can inside, run and do not look back-slob, lazy, could care less. If the front wheels are tipped in from ball joints that are about to fall out, the brakes sound like angle iron jammed into a bench grinder, sway bar links rattle pop and clunk, and has a headlight out-broke and won't maintain their vehicle, chances are they don't maintain much else. I found this to be true with a few exes. One had a brand new car just got it the week before we first met. After being together for 2 months it looked like a garbage truck inside, stunk like an ashtray and rotting food, had dents from whacking poles in parking lots. Threw a check engine light once on her from not changing the oil, had to get a VCT solenoid and cam phaser replaced. 12,000 miles on a car 5 months old... I wished the dealer didn't warranty it due to lack of maintenance to teach her a lesson. I always have a lift to use I'd have done it for Free! Nope. I don't have time for that... Could spend 2 hours getting dressed to go out to dinner, couldn't wait half an hour to have an oil change done... Priorities are out of order and no sense of responsibility, makes one wonder if she had time to change a diaper when it came time...

As for the whole middle aged group of guys who go through a midlife crisis and buy a corvette, camaro, mustang, challenger... They may not have the tools or knowledge or time to build their dream car. Just be easier to walk into a dealership, pay for a turn key car and be able to put respectable lap times down... Or they just do it to feel young again, or as an attention grabber. That's where Im different. I don't plan on growing up/getting old fat, bald, complacent. One thing I've learned with having flashy or sports cars, you attract very shallow people or gold diggers which I find to be poetic justice in a sense. Even when that wasn't the intent to have something to gain attention with, if the first words were nice car/truck/bike, I'm _____. Nope. However if that was followed up with I would love to go to a car show with you, go off-roading with you, go for a cruise with you, go to the races with you. Ding ding ding. Winner. Shows she's interested in me, has a hobby in common and not what I drive.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 213
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 7:48:57 AM
My dad has bigger testicles then your dad.
 NYNewtoPSL
Msg: 214
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:00:54 AM
Want a medal or a chest to pin it on?
 Dragracer428
Msg: 215
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:19:51 AM

As for the whole middle aged group of guys who go through a midlife crisis and buy a corvette, camaro, mustang, challenger... They may not have the tools or knowledge or time to build their dream car. Just be easier to walk into a dealership, pay for a turn key car and be able to put respectable lap times down... Or they just do it to feel young again, or as an attention grabber. That's where Im different. I don't plan on growing up/getting old fat, bald, complacent. One thing I've learned with having flashy or sports cars, you attract very shallow people or gold diggers which I find to be poetic justice in a sense. Even when that wasn't the intent to have something to gain attention with, if the first words were nice car/truck/bike, I'm _____. Nope.

This is unfair to many of the people you are referring to. Many of them put all their time, energy and money into their careers and families. Their car hobby got put to the side for those reasons and I respect hell out of them for doing that. It bis easy to lose the skills and hard to come up with the dedication to do what I do for example. With the performance level of new cars they are a choice that satisfies the urge without having to be a mechanical guru to keep going.
I see the racers who have put their everything into racing and have sometimes wondered how selfish that decision was when they have a family.
 NYNewtoPSL
Msg: 216
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:50:47 AM

This is unfair to many of the people you are referring to. Many of them put all their time, energy and money into their careers and families. Their car hobby got put to the side for those reasons and I respect hell out of them for doing that. It bis easy to lose the skills and hard to come up with the dedication to do what I do for example. With the performance level of new cars they are a choice that satisfies the urge without having to be a mechanical guru to keep going.
I see the racers who have put their everything into racing and have sometimes wondered how selfish that decision was when they have a family.

True like I said with how the new cars are turn key and go, however to use it as a tool to acquire attention or compensate for whatever reason... I'm not knocking those who let a passion/hobby go to improve in other areas. I spent a good 5 years single after college to hustle and pay off a mortgage, acquire just about every tool I'd need for my career (you know Snap On Mac and Matco aren't cheap throw in quite a few SSTs from OTC I wish I had that money today!) have a few toys and race. Wouldn't be fair to get into a relationship with someone and not have any time for them... Not fair at all to someone else to feel abandoned or feel like they aren't a priority and are wasting their time to only spend a few short moments together and feel less than second place to someone else.

I myself don't ever see giving that hobby up. Not that I'd let it consume me to the point where that becomes a priority and family or career takes a back seat to it. I balance everything out. I managed to pay off my house and accomplish a lot on my own and still be able to race however time is a commodity, I don't know how many Friday nights I'd spend awake til 3 or 4 in the morning finishing something up because I worked late Monday-Thursday and had side work as well to support that hobby. Ideally I'd love to build a car with my kid, be it a hot rod for their first car or even a race car. If it wasn't their cup of tea no big deal... I'd try and support their hobbies and passions...
 gtomustang
Msg: 217
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:57:43 AM
I used to enjoy loud exhaust when I was young and thought air conditioning wasn't worth losing 20hp over. Now i'm older and realize why the hot rodders of the 1950's went to street rods in the 1970's. I wouldn't want high compression or 300 degrees of duration on a truck meant for towing around stuff, but I get the fun of having a tool that attracts attention. Except it always catches the cops' attention, that's a big PITA b/c I tend to drive 20 over the limit. Still, someone who is a car fan, is like someone who's a sports fan--they're passionate about what they love, its part of their life. Like trying to separate a dog from its owner. Love it, or don't.

some fans like to take it to the provider/protector level. the gun lover who takes gfs shooting, in case they ever need to know it. of course, this says something about them. we can argue if its good or bad, but it says something about their personality. I don't mind the "checkbook cars". If it wasn't for all of them, there wouldn't be the demand that creates the reproduction market that exists today. nearly everything would be fabricated, and 383 Mopars would be cut up to save Hemis as a result.

if you think something is important, no matter what that thing is...it says something about you.
 boatbob2q
Msg: 218
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 5:18:55 PM
Hi,My NEW car is a 2009 Chevy HHR, THOUGH I have a total of 9 cars,and 3 motorcycles,and 2 RV s, I drive what I feel like driving,if I were to show up for a date with you,driving my 1928 Ford model A,roadster pickup,Would you look down your nose at me??? or,how bout my 1930 Ford,Model A pickup,Or how bout my 1948 Ford coupe?? Or my 2007 Toyota Prius??? Each of my cars,are worth a MINIMUN of $25,000. I helped a beautiful SINGLE lady,whos car had broke down,I cant remember what the car was,but,she had at LEAST 3 trash cans of CRAP,all over the floors,and back seat,She asked if She could buy me dinner,for fixing her car,I told her,I had to go to work, ( im retired)With a car that filthy,Im thinking her house or apartment wouldn't win any prizes. MEN (myself especially) are particular also)
 boatbob2q
Msg: 219
view profile
History
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 5:33:59 PM
By the way,thats my post up above,I have 45 acres,and I also have a 42 Ft Hatteras long range cruiser yacht,,12 horses,a helluva retired
income, AND,I think I would be a good catch,BUT,too many Ladies ( I use that term loosely) are extremely materialistic. When Im going out to meet up ,I usually drive the HHR, it kinda looks like the kinda car a poor boy would drive, Ive had them look down their noses at me,because it looked like I wasn't good enough for them. I usually wear shorts and a T-shirt,you should see the looks I get from these so called ladies,Ive had 2 ,tell me I wasn't good enough to go out with them.. If I were to drive up,wearing a suit,while driving my PRIUS,with my rolex,and diamond ring,they would think I was THE ONE....that's why I don't...I don't look like a bum,but,I don't think I need to impress them,before I even know them,I have a good education,Thank You,Mom and Dad,,I have my PHD,and 3 master degrees, When they want to come to my home,on the first date,I tell them no can do,I have a very sick mother living with me.
 Maleman999
Msg: 220
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 5:39:12 PM
I went to a store, and after I pulled into the parking lot, parked, and was walking to the entrance, I saw a white Volkswagen bug parked that had pink polka dots all over it, and the headlights had eye lashes. It's a safe bet it wasn't a guy's car.
 Unfinished_Chapter
Msg: 221
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 5:47:40 PM

If I were to drive up,wearing a suit,while driving my PRIUS,with my rolex,and diamond ring

That would certainly be somewhat of a contradictory first impression I would think. ;)
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 222
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 5:52:05 PM

Msg: 229
When Im going out to meet up ,I usually drive the HHR, it kinda looks like the kinda car a poor boy would drive, Ive had them look down their noses at me,because it looked like I wasn't good enough for them. I usually wear shorts and a T-shirt,you should see the looks I get from these so called ladies,Ive had 2 ,tell me I wasn't good enough to go out with them.. If I were to drive up,wearing a suit,while driving my PRIUS,with my rolex,and diamond ring,they would think I was THE ONE.

Bob, I don't want to sound too callous about it, and I am really sorry to read about your cancer diagnosis, but is it possible they change their mind about meeting you after they realize you have a hole in your throat? In addition, you said you have your PHD,and 3 master degrees, but your profile lists a high school education?

What you wrote here, and what is listed in your profile, sounds like (2) different people.
 quinneskimo
Msg: 223
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 6:33:25 PM
Hmmm. 3 Master Degrees and a PHD with poor spelling and poor sentence structure. I'm calling bullshyt on it all. And sorry, a Prius would not impress me. Anyone can buy a fake Rolex and I have more than enough diamonds. A friend of mine has a nice white Bentley convertible, that is a nice a car and would impress some...a Prius, no not at all. As I said, I'm Calling bullshyt on Mr. Prius.
 gtomustang
Msg: 224
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:02:47 PM
A suit, a Rolex with a sweep hand that skips, and a lease car...sends a message about him. once again, you can tell something about people by what they think is important.
 mdbco32
Msg: 225
A man and his car...
Posted: 5/8/2016 9:59:27 PM

If a guy that you are meeting for the first time shows up in a junker car that's rusty, dirty, and has 2 hubcaps...would that be a big deal to you? I've had that happen one time and I really didn't know what to think...except that he sure wasn't like other guys who are really into their cars. Can you tell a lot about a man by the car he drives?

If I showed up in a poor exterior condition 1969 Chevrolet Camaro with a Rat 502 under the hood, would you really give a shit?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > A man and his car...