Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > People who have been single most of their lives.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 351
No sleep 'til Brooklyn, Hawk manPage 15 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

But the issue remains.........if there were an amenity of good developers here in the USA, where communication is seamless, the hours are standard, and educational background can be easily verified....................the jobs would not be outsourced.

We outsource those jobs because we are cheap as crap. It's not my choice, but it is what it is.

This does creates a problem. Usually any project has a process of setting up the parameter and given to a team. When the project gets to a particular stage, they show it to the management team and changes are made. When your complete team is here in the States, it may go through three cycles of changes, corrections and improvements. When we have a team over there working on it, even with a supervisor from here overlooking the project, we end up with 7 or 8 correction cycles. So a project that should have taken a few months then takes six months, and a six month project a whole year.

Still because we are paying them about 9 cents on the dollar, is still cheaper to do it this way, even though it can be frustrating.
 ohenryx
Msg: 352
view profile
History
No sleep 'til Brooklyn, Hawk man
Posted: 4/21/2016 2:43:38 PM

BelleAtlantic
But the issue remains.........if there were an amenity of good developers here in the USA, where communication is seamless, the hours are standard, and educational background can be easily verified....................the jobs would not be outsourced.

Belle, I bow to your expertise in the areas of addiction and counseling, but now we are in my wheelhouse and I have to tell you: You are wrong.

The employers outsource because they want to outsource. In order to save money. Technical people in India or the Philippines will cost one-fourth (or less) what they cost here in America. November of last year, the company I’m working for laid off 35% of the work force in my department. About half of those positions were “eliminated” (translation: the remaining people will have to pick up the slack). The other half were outsourced to the Philippines. Pay close attention to what I’m saying here. American workers, skilled workers, people with years of experience, were laid off. Their jobs were given to people in the Philippines, some with very little experience, some with no experience.

I have spent quite a bit of my time since last November trying to train those people in the Philippines. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not so successfully.

Some of those jobs were programming, actual code maintenance. Some of those jobs were support roles, unix admins, license management, windows admins. All highly skilled technical people, laid off. Many were asked to train their replacements before they left. How about that for a kick in the teeth?
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 353
Posted: 4/21/2016 2:48:54 PM

The other half were outsourced to the Philippines. Pay close attention to what I’m saying here. American workers, skilled workers, people with years of experience, were laid off. Their jobs were given to people in the Philippines, some with very little experience, some with no experience.

Fvcking ahhh. I know exactly what you're talking about. And we also settled in the Philippines. We have a whole office over there. That department here in the states is a skeleton now. The reason. Money.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2016 3:30:51 PM
Hmm, think I'll stick to locksmithing. It's not glamorous, but then, how many places still carry key blanks for a 39 Plymouth?
 crook_catcher
Msg: 355
Posted: 4/21/2016 4:42:11 PM

but then, how many places still carry key blanks for a 39 Plymouth?

Lol...true! More importantly how many 39 Plymouth's need keys cut. ;)
 purplerider1200
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 2:49:42 PM
True. But the key doesn't take the space the 39 Plymouth takes up. And, that key blank only cost a penny to buy. (70 or so years ago) At $25 bucks, the owner thought it was a bargain.
 gtomustang
Msg: 357
Posted: 4/23/2016 7:22:36 AM
couldn't just jam in a screwdriver? :) I remembered a guy who'd start his Chevy Chevette that way...
 Maleman999
Msg: 358
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:43:26 AM
^^^That reminds me of the TV shows and movies where someone goes to hot wire a car, and there just happens to be two wires hanging down from under the dash in plain sight, and as soon as someone touches the two wires together, the car starts up right away.
 ohenryx
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2016 11:21:58 AM

gtomustang
couldn't just jam in a screwdriver? :) I remembered a guy who'd start his Chevy Chevette that way...

My first car was a 49 Chevrolet. I drove the car for about 2 years, and never had an ignition key. The ignition switch had an outer surround area. If turned straight up and down, the ignition was on and the car would start when you pressed the (separate) starter button. If turned to the left, the ignition was off and locked. If turned to the right (clockwise), the ignition was off but not locked. Not having a key, I never locked it.

I was living in a small town, in East Texas. I don't recall that there was a key to the front door of my parent's house, and it was never locked in all of the years that I was growing up and living there. Different times ...
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 11:41:47 AM

The employers outsource because they want to outsource.

If it's nothing too serious as far as it being a staple in a company to what a couple college interns could do -- I can understand not wanting to permanently hire a couple guys $65-85k a year, rather than outsourcing at the price of paying for a lawn mowing service. :) Of course, making the call on it with saved $$ in one's eyes, I'm sure too many places push the envelope on it all.

When we have a team over there working on it, even with a supervisor from here overlooking the project, we end up with 7 or 8 correction cycles. So a project that should have taken a few months then takes six months, and a six month project a whole year.

Yeah, our company, against my wishes, had a team out overseas work on an important project. Oh gawd, took forever, and all I saw was a prototype basically. What should have taken a year, a couple years later -- was basically not much that better & functional than 6 months in. The waste of time was far worse than the waste of (lesser) money. But ymmv when doing the outsourcing overseas.

Which is kind of like getting a Russian bride. Good stories, bad stories. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 361
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 2:03:23 PM
good gosh, starter buttons...on the floor, under the gas pedal, is that correct? I learned how to drive on a car with a clutch and a dimmer switch on the floor...no fun going into a corner requiring a downshift and finding someone coming the other way while your highbeams were still on....still better than trying to pass someone in the rain in one of those old cars and your windshield wipers slow down as the engine vacuum changes...

I remember riding in a '57 Chevy wagon (likely a 210, not a Nomad) and being able to pull out the key while still driving. I knew more about the wagon than the kid who inherited it from his grandpa (didn't know the Bowtie emblem in the gauge is the highbeam indicator), and so we pull into a gas station and he walks off to pay for the gas, asking me to pump. I knew the filler was hidden in one of the fin's chrome pieces, and I guessed it would be on the driver's side. so, I pulled it open, there it was, and I looked up and saw the poor owner watching to see if there was at least one thing I didn't know about his car. sorry :)

sometimes, I think the only people to benefit the outsourcing is the stock holders :(
 BBEisBack
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 5:31:48 PM

we pull into a gas station and he walks off to pay for the gas, asking me to pump. I knew the filler was hidden in one of the fin's chrome pieces, and I guessed it would be on the driver's side. so, I pulled it open, there it was, and I looked up and saw the poor owner watching to see if there was at least one thing I didn't know about his car.

I started working as a Gas Jockey at 13, in the mid-sixties..... There was maybe 2-3 times I had to ask, where the Gas Filler was.... Most times, You could see part of the Hinge sticking out, when looking for it... If it was something that didn't have another reason to be Hinged, that was a Clue.......
 gtomustang
Msg: 363
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 5:53:26 PM
There are times I miss GM's idea of the gas filler behind the license plate, b/c it located at the center of the car. No pulling up to the pump in someone else's car and finding out you were on the wrong side and had to drag the hose over the painted bodywork of the car you were borrowing from someone (though it is nice new cars put an arrow on the gas gauge to help). Of course, there is also that problem of what can potentially happen in a rear end collision....

sometimes it was annoying that one automaker decided to do something differently than anyone else, for no good reason. But, back then, the owner's manual wasn't as thick as your pinky finger, so at least you could look up information really quickly. Some were thin enough they could be bound by a staple...now you get a book, and half of it is filled with

Don't do *whatever*.!!!

I've got a '56 Fordoor out in the woods with 3 on the tree. allegedly, some of the Romeos back then would have it thrown over to the other side of the steering wheel (typically with a "necker knob" clamped on the wheel before power steering) so they could have their right arm free for their date, and left arm could steer, shift, and work the turn signal. So, yes, Virginia, before Microsoft, people could multi-task.

but then, they weren't texting, either.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 364
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 6:00:29 PM
^^^^^

Been years since I've seen a car with the dimmer switch on the floor by the kick panel. I remember when I was 8-9...early 60's anyway...that my grandfather who was a tobacco farmer in Kentucky had an old Chevy Apache pickup with the starter button located on the floor...three speed on the column...back when high tech were things like chains and modified s-hooks and latches held the tailgate on. I remember my mom having an old Rambler with a push button transmission. Heck i remember when you could get most anything at a Western Auto store besides food items. Lol
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 365
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 6:04:59 PM
Back in the day, the ship's duty vehicle was a '3 on a tree' manual transmission.

Being 17, I didn't know what the fvck to make of that.

So, being cool and all, I figured I'd only drive forward in 1st gear on the base.

That worked until I parked facing a canal.

I couldn't find reverse and drove into and out of the canal again. A big sloppy U turn.

Thrashed that truck with all kinds of muck and mud.

Drove back to the ship and got a ton of sh!t for weeks...
 crook_catcher
Msg: 366
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 6:42:18 PM
^^^^

Lol clooney... I learned to drive in a 66 Chevy II. 3spd on the column and am radio eventually put in an 8 track tape player that ate more tapes than it ever played. :)
 lilydreams
Msg: 367
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 7:32:38 PM
8 tracks. Geez. I cried when I gave away Santana after the 8 track broke. 8 tracks and "...see paradise by the dash board lights"
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 368
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 7:42:07 PM
I was gonna mention my dad's 8 tracks and forgot how much foul language I heard when his Chuck Mangione or B.J. Thomas tapes got mangled again.

First car was a Delta 88. I wanna say early 70s model.

A tank!

Big front bench seat. $300 cash.

Took old man for a drive and made a sharp turn. Front left hub cap went flying across street.

Dad yelled Get the goddamn thing!

I promptly drove the wrong way across on coming lanes in shock.

I was given a moped 2 days later along with my old man's helmet...a naked lady smoking a cig painted on the side of it.

2 sizes too big as well.

The 'pedal start' didn't work on that moped and I had to sprint to get it going, and then jump on it once it cranked over. Not an easy task since there was a rack mounted on back of it.

Kids at school would always ask me if I was the one driving that moped and wearing that helmet :(
 purplerider1200
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/23/2016 8:33:50 PM
A friend of mine told me he actually did reverse the column on a "three on a tree" shifter, on several of his cars. It also turned the shift pattern upside down when he did it.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 370
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/24/2016 5:34:14 AM

A friend of mine told me he actually did reverse the column on a "three on a tree" shifter, on several of his cars. It also turned the shift pattern upside down when he did it.

I've never seen that. Bet it took some getting used too.

The New York 1977 blackout would be an emotional journey for a lot of people to understand and I'll pretend just to even post stuff here on plenty of fish
Right now after reading this is everyone after reading this would somehow mostly spiritually hold hands and the value of land would drop like a 747 Flying prostitute Just short of the runway

All righty then....
 dragonbytes
Msg: 371
view profile
History
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:12:17 AM
I once had a business plan.

Collect the broken down old style cars with the huge bench seats, put them up on blocks and park them in a drive in movie.

Rent them out as couple's only premium movie seats.

I couldn't figure out how the public would get to the drive in, but if I solved that it could have been big.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 372
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:21:44 AM

collect the broken down old style cars with the huge bench seats, put them up on blocks and park them in a drive in movie.

That may of worked. Maybe even just putting them up by the playground area up front would have worked?

Sad that there's now a generation that doesn't even know what a drive in is....I thought they went all sci-fi when you could dial in your am radio and use your car speakers.

Those bench seats were huge...in the front....sometimes not so much in the back seat. Corinthian leather...lol.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 373
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:46:35 AM
Lucky for me....There is a drive-in 10 minutes from me...just started up for the season again.
When it's later in the summer months, the shows don't start until 10ish....too late for me.
Hard to make it to the 2nd show.

@Dragon....I have to say, the younger generation of today, has it all figured out.
Truck beds set up with mattresses, coolers and all the comforts of home.
Others come with their loungers..
There's a snack bar but a lot bring their own food and drinks.....great fun!
 dragonbytes
Msg: 374
view profile
History
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/24/2016 7:14:55 AM
Whisky & CC

There is a drive in that is 30 minutes from the house, we go a couple of times in the summer months. People do have loungers, coolers, etc. Some people bring pets. I see the trucks mostly in the back of the drive in, never went back there to see what was going on.

Yes, you can tune in your car radio, I was wondering how long it takes to run the battery down? Probably a long time, but it worries me.

The only thing missing is you can't grill by your car, they have a couple of ratty looking grills in the playground area, but I wasn't inclined to use them.

I think it's the only drive-in within 80 miles of my house. There is now a renaissance of drive-ins with more opening than closing.

Thailand has these free sit down drive-in movies. People sit on lawn chairs and watch a free movie that is donated by those seeking merit with Buddha. I wanted to go to one, but didn't get the chance, and of course I would have no idea of what they were saying, there are no western type people, subtitles, etc in those kinds of drive-ins. Another problem, they don't have any sort of regular movie schedule, it looks ad hoc to me.
 Maleman999
Msg: 375
Outsourcing dating...
Posted: 4/24/2016 8:07:14 AM
"Yes, you can tune in your car radio, I was wondering how long it takes to run the battery down? Probably a long time, but it worries me."

That used to concern me too, in my drive-in going days. So what I did is take a boom box and used that. Killing batteries in a boom box is less crucial than killing a car battery. At the drive-in I went to, they had a recharger crew, who would go around at the end of the movies and recharge dead car batteries.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > People who have been single most of their lives.