Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Who else doesn't have or want a tv and how does that seem to impact o      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Who else doesn't have or want a tv and how does that seem to impact on your outward perception?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

I have to agree, 100%, with the above statement. If DB hadn’t posted it, I would have myself. Only I probably would have said “smug” instead of “superior and arrogant”.

I agree, too -- except I probably wouldn't have said it if you two didn't, because that wasn't on the forefront of my mind. I do agree that they tend to be smug about it, oddly enough. Personally, I get the most basic cable possible for high-speed internet, and just rely on recorded shows of the handful that I'll follow, off the internet as small cheap devices are attached to each. And with a TV -- which is just a large-sized monitor for sit-down observation -- I will want to watch some sports, news at certain times... and to watch an occasional movie as opposed to always going to the theater too much. Thinking that having and using a TV even makes someone slightly less of a person in any way, is preposterous. Nor is it "chic" to any degree not to have a TV or watch a TV in one's own place.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 27
Who else doesn't have or want a tv and how does that seem to impact on your outward perception?
Posted: 4/11/2016 7:40:50 PM
I have 2. Never turn them on during the day.
Often I turn it on and wander off to do something else anyway and it becomes background noise.
I've found a great many "I don't own one" people to be a tad bit pretentious about it.

My guy and I bond over TWD every week and discuss it like fine literature, haha.
I would call it my guilty pleasure and dragged him into that world a few years ago.

300 channels and I watch maybe 4 of them.

You can learn a lot from "Naked and Afraid".
Make sure you have a machete and a firestarter...leave the fishing line and duct tape at home.
I think I could make a shelter from leaves and weave an outfit but maybe I'm overestimating myself.
 ndm147
Msg: 28
Who else doesn't have or want a tv and how does that seem to impact on your outward perception?
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:05:24 PM
Purple rider, Mystery Science Fiction Theater must be your venue: totally bad movies that are fun to watch.

I am thinking of cutting my cable TV but I still do watch it. I also use Netflix. I have a treadmill that I use regularly and watch TV while using it; helps pass the time while I am getting in my miles. I turn on the TV during the day only while using the treadmill or cleaning.

I met a guy who does not have a TV. It was not a big deal. We talked about books.
 ndm147
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:05:33 PM
Purple rider, Mystery Science Fiction Theater must be your venue: totally bad movies that are fun to watch.

I am thinking of cutting my cable TV but I still do watch it. I also use Netflix. I have a treadmill that I use regularly and watch TV while using it; helps pass the time while I am getting in my miles. I turn on the TV during the day only while using the treadmill or cleaning.

I met a guy who does not have a TV. It was not a big deal. We talked about books.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/11/2016 8:26:40 PM
Why mention it?

The first time she sees your place, it won't be to watch TV, I hope.

That being said, what do you without a TV after work?

I personally ditched the cable box but I still have high speed internet surf the web and watch Netflix.

If you do get a significant partner sleeping over once in awhile, you do know you'll be stuck with each other and have to make conversation, right?
 irishgirl772
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/12/2016 9:44:22 AM
I always have the weather channel or local news on. Im a fan of HGTV, Foodnetwork, Tlc and Animal Planet. Not all tv is garbage. Dont watch any primetime TV except football. I guess it would bother me if I were dating someone that wouldnt watch games with me on Sundays.
 JaiNai2
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/12/2016 10:39:04 AM
I can't even imagine not having at least one TV! Mine is on even when no one is watching . I have one in living room and each bedroom. Not having a TV is almost as bad as not having a computer. But, I suppose if I try hard enough, I can remember back in the day when I was a kid, we did not have one and got along just fine.
I don't think that just not having a TV would make anyone a dull person.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2016 10:57:48 AM
My family didn't own a TV until I was out of high school and on my own. MY first TV was a gift for my 50th birthday, LOL Then they promptly changed from analog to digital? No more TV antenna reception? LOL
I watch the TV when housemate or BF have it turned on.
SHE watches Criminal Minds and Forensic Files, Gag!
(One more dead body and I'll scream!) HE watches old black and white, loves old westerns.

TV? Pffft.
 _Head_On_
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/12/2016 12:00:25 PM

would not being interested in TV make me a dull person?[/Quote]
It will also make you strange, weird, unusual, crazy, boring or pick a word.

All these words could apply of course to the fact you're not interested in sports. They are the words used by people who judge others but do not understand that everyone is

Different.

Those who do understand would use that word. Everyone has different likes and opinions and all you have to wait for is a woman who understands. She probably wouldn't watch TV either.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/12/2016 2:25:23 PM
Ladyinred0407- "SHE watches Criminal minds and Forensic files. Gag!"
I resemble that remark! :0
Those were two shows I loved when I still had cable.
Maybe her mind works like mine. It isn't the gore, it's the mystery of "who done it?" and the process they use to solve murders, in other words, the science and the detective work. It's fascinating to me.
Again, to each their own. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/12/2016 4:47:23 PM
I didn't have it until a few years ago, taking over my parents' house. YouTube has a TON of old TV shows and some B grade movies for free. Plus the internet was just more interactive, and OK, back in the days of the VCR I could rent a tape for a $1 on Monday and copy (*ahem*) and create a movie library.

now I get History and Discovery, and binge on Law&Order (allegedly better for showing victims as human beings than the CSI stuff I used to like, which just turns them into T&A she-dressed-for-it)re-runs on Ion channel. But as for TV shows that get good reviews (thinking of you, early seasons of Madmen), I can pick those DVDS up used, and binge watch.

cable would be great if it was pick-n-choose.
 Stellan77
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/12/2016 5:06:20 PM
That's probably a good thing that you don't own a TV. When I was with my ex, having a TV in the bedroom ruined our sex life -- she wouldn't turn it off for anything.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2016 6:20:13 PM
If you ex had the t.v. on even during sex, it does not say much for your relationship and no wonder she is gone. SHe would have been thinking about anything else but you during the act, I would say. I draw the line at having a set in the bedroom, it is not necessary unless you are in a bedsit or tiny apartment.
 JaiNai2
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/13/2016 10:14:33 AM
Is this a new thing? Not wanting a TV? There is so much interesting stuff on TV! I guess I don't understand why anyone would not want one unless they are wanting to be cut off from everything! Great shows, movies, news, political happenings, etc.

I don't believe in making TV one's entire life, which I've known some to do. But as long as one is engaged in real life and has other interests, I don't see anything wrong with watching TV. I read a lot, go out with friends and family, volunteer, and have a full life. My newest passion is adult coloring books. But I still have to have my cable TV. That fills in when I'm at home and is very educational, the same as reading or anything else that allows me to gain knowledge and be aware of what is happening. But to each his/her own! We're all different, as it should be.
 somekinda_wonderful
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2016 8:15:24 PM
No TV, Netflix, downloads, or dvd's, and I do miss it sometimes. So when I meet a guy with Canadian cable, it's a plus, but the reality is it doesn't matter if he has a tv or not
 FlipFlops4LIFE
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/16/2016 6:03:32 AM

People who don't own TV sets all tend to have a superior and arrogant attitude and project they are better than most people who watch TV.

HAAAAAAAAAAaaa couldn't have said it better myself.
 south_city
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/16/2016 8:43:22 AM
It's not a dealbreaker if someone doesn't have a TV. But I won't be spending time at their place when I want to watch something on TV. If it got to the point where we moved in together, they better not expect me to give up my TV.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/16/2016 8:50:48 AM
Would you be turned off by a TV in the bedroom?

I notice I eat where the TV is, so my partner would have to accept the popcorn kernels and rice in the sheets...
 ginghamgal
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/16/2016 10:36:32 AM

People who don't own TV sets all tend to have a superior and arrogant attitude and project they are better than most people who watch TV.

I can see some people without a TV having that opinion. Watching sports or soap operas or reality shows is just like any other interest. It's okay in moderation. It would be turn off if someone spent most of their free time watching TV. But that's also true if I was rarely able to see a man because he spent most of free time fixing cars or hunting and fishing or playing poker with his friends.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/16/2016 10:41:11 AM

I notice I eat where the TV is, so my partner would have to accept the popcorn kernels and rice in the sheets...

Nothing says "sexy" like a piece of lettuce stuck to your partner's ass.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2016 7:16:37 PM
If one lives in the midwest, it just might not be such a horrible idea to own and watch one when the weather turns nasty.

After all, it is spring, and tornado season.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2016 9:56:39 AM
Zonavar......even as a child....I was never "addicted" to TV. Everyone in my family was. If I did something I shouldn't have, my "punishment" would be, "go to your room and read a book....you cannot watch TV with us." As a bibliophile in a family of non-readers, you can imagine that I did "little things" to get "punished" so I could be left in peace with my beloved books. And I don't think I'm "superior"....TV just isn't my thing.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2016 4:14:48 PM

That's probably a good thing that you don't own a TV.

I can see it being a good thing as far as, like, a poor college student who doesn't watch much on the TV but instead their computer, not spending money on one, but instead necessities. But TVs are pretty cheap, so at some point, it'd be kinda weird not to get one. I mean, I hardly use my oven, and do most my work in the microwave or stove TOP, but it'd be weird if I went out of my way not to have (an even more expensive than TV) oven.

When I was with my ex, having a TV in the bedroom ruined our sex life -- she wouldn't turn it off for anything.

It wasn't the TV in the bedroom that ruined your sex life. A TV in the bedroom has lots of potential to Help (sexual and/or romantic movies), cuddling up in the bedroom instead of on the couch if wanting to stimulate more close behavior when things have drifted apart a bit, etc. It wasn't the TV, it was her distraction to it. You could say the same about a phone in the bedroom -- even moreso. But it's not the phone, it's how that individual is with one in the room.
 AlphaCuck
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/11/2016 9:58:03 AM
I have a TV but have not had any kind of network/cable in over five years. I like movies and documentaries, the programming on TV is horrible.
 arwen52
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2016 5:07:52 PM
I don't own a television. I did have one but I never watched it. For all practical purposes, I haven't watched television since about 1970. It hasn't appeared to have any effect on people's perception of me that I'm aware of. I'd consider someone more dull if they spent a lot of time watching TV.

I did watch the new Cosmos series with some friends. That was fun.

Mostly TV is pretty boring.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Who else doesn't have or want a tv and how does that seem to impact on your outward perception?