Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Does anyone follow DATING ETIQUETTE anymore?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 76
Does anyone follow DATING ETIQUETTE anymore?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
If you put their phone number in facebook search it will normally pull up their account and you can see if he is in a relationship or not
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Does anyone follow DATING ETIQUETTE anymore?
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:06:46 PM
You can choose to ignore strangers who you have never met or even heard their voices when they invite you out to dinner. For a first time which is not a date after all, I would only agree to a daytime lunch and alcohol free. Do you pay for your share and all sorts of awkwardness can ensue especially if you don't connect and are sitting across a dinner table. Chances are these guys are playing the numbers game and may not even show upafter all your efforts. Going out later in the evening means he is hoping for sex and I would pass....
 excusezmoi
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:22:29 PM
True. I don't have facebook though. However, I did check out his home number in the white pages and it was listed under his name only, and I spoke to him on that number. Of course, that proved nothing because you don't need to be married or living together to be in a relationship.

Some of these creeps would bypass the Facebook - or reverse phone number checks - by simply purchasing a prepaid mobile.

I've met a couple of men who are pathological liars too....claiming to 'know the guy who owns the restaurant' or to have other associations that they clearly don't have. It's STUNNED me! It's like they're pulling multiple rabbits out of multiple hats in order to secure that holy(coital) grail....quickly before you have time to THINK! (or object)

I find my best defence is to listen to my instincts, and pay attention. There's no 'one cap fits all' rule book. Just because this has happened, does not make all men evil, and because there are some evil men, that is no reason for me not to have and enjoy dates.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:23:41 PM
From memory the warts were all over his face and you don't necessarily see them in a pic that is not extremely clear.
Where is LH these days and a few other of the regulars I miss that don't post any more. Tom de bomb for one.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:25:17 PM
Facebook has only the number that you have given it and it could be a mobile number for instance which is not in a directory of any sort. Whether you can tell if someone is in a relationship or not that way is simplifying it all in a complex technological world where anyone can write up a profile of any sort, anywhere.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:28:22 PM
I totally agree with excusemoi. there are all sorts of hazards out there. Users, cruisers, losers, and abusers.

It would take me 10-15 minutes to get ready for a first meet and I can never understand why anyone would spend hours getting ready, that has always mystified me. Dressing smart casual is all we need really and most of the men I actually met from dating sites did not make any sort of effort to dress to impress and what with one thing and another declined to see any of them again.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:32:23 PM
I like to play it safe.

I have people, you should have people.

For a first meet, I will get my people to meet your people and hammer out the details for a second meet.
 sun___flower
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2016 9:31:55 AM
Ouija
There is a correct way to cut lemons? I'm peasant stock

You're in good company. 'John' was allegedly a judge IIRC. LH chastised John that lemons are cut AROUND THE EQUATOR, not the cretinous way he was doing it.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:00:24 AM
?Where is LH? I could be mistaken but I think she got booted from here. On several occasions.

My guess is she is sittin' pretty on a sunny rock along a mountain trail,
munching on a trail bar, home made by her,
searching thru her knapsack for dental floss,
and looking forward to gettin' out of her sweaty hikin' clothes, down next to her car near the trail head, flippin' a dress over her head,
and takin' the guy home with her, to test his lemon slicin' skills.
IF he makes it down the mountain in one piece, and still breathin'.
Did I miss anything?

Actually I hope she is happy!
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:02:41 AM
I heard LH and Tom Da Bomb were getting ready to repel from Mt. Rainier.

Tom needs to reach the top and that's the part they're struggling with.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:03:00 AM

My guess is she is sittin' pretty on a sunny rock along a mountain trail,
munching on a trail bar, home made by her,
searching thru her knapsack for dental floss,

Did I miss anything?

Or a bear with horrendous breath took offense to her offer of dental floss.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:04:41 AM
Some people are not capable of being happy. If there's a heaven and she goes there, she'll be telling God how he does everything all wrong. And he's not in her league, not up to her standards in a man..good for only a first, and last, date, certainly not for "eternity". Being perhaps the first "perfect" person, ever.
And literate..unlike "you" (everyone else).
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:05:46 AM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ LMAO!
Is dental floss in the "Dating Etiquette" rules?
 Whisky_River
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:14:39 AM
^^^^^^^^I do too....hope she is happy!
She never bothered me with her quest for a fit man and whatever it entailed to her. I laughed out loud at some of her stories but I think we all have some dating incidences....sometimes I wish I had her "balls".
On hearing more intimate details of her past....may have molded her way of thinking...as it does with us all.

I felt she had every right to expect what she expected, since it was her life and hiking was a huge part of who she was.
I didn't get a "mean vibe" from her....at all.
Funny....How some people feel threatened by what others want and feel they have no right to comment on here.
The battle of the "Queens"....wiped out a few I enjoyed.
Cheers to LH....(I'm not really drinking, this early)...haha
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:18:14 AM

may have molded her way of thinking...as it does with us all.

Indeed, we are all products of our environments, including OLD.
 sun___flower
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:21:33 AM
LadyInRed
down next to her car near the trail head, flippin' a dress over her head

Haha. Could that one ever be repeated often enough? 'You may turn around now!'
 daynadaze
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2016 3:27:50 PM
Last time I heard from Tom de Bomb, he was happy in FL, had meet someone and liked her, and was tired of being kicked off here. But to be fair, Tom did go out of his way to insult and say odd things to rile people up.
 south_city
Msg: 93
Posted: 4/23/2016 6:11:17 PM

She never bothered me with her quest for a fit man and whatever it entailed to her. I laughed out loud at some of her stories but I think we all have some dating incidences....sometimes I wish I had her "balls".
On hearing more intimate details of her past....may have molded her way of thinking...as it does with us all.

She is entitled to her requirements. But her constant whining about bad dates and getting from emails from men that didn't match her requirements got old. I get that most first dates / meetings don't lead to a relationships and bad dates can happen once in a while. But if a person was constantly having bad/boring dates, at least they should reassess their dating approach.
 ginghamgal
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/24/2016 8:41:56 AM

She is entitled to her requirements. But her constant whining about bad dates and getting from emails from men that didn't match her requirements got old.

Agreed. Simply don't date them when you're not interested. Putting people down because of this is rude and conceited.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2016 12:01:25 AM

What bothers me about the question is that they are asking me to go out to dinner with them THAT NIGHT

Why would a Question bother you? It's not a demand. :) Especially if they say "Hey, I know it's last minute, but would you be up for ..."? Women have asked me that who I've merely chit-chatted with before. If he or she starts getting upset or being pushy, then I can understand being upset. But just that? Remember this -- people have busy schedules and openings. They don't Expect you to be open to do so -- they're just asking. And given so many chats fizzle out and there's a 3:1 ratio in the popular age-range of women to men, yeah, guys will ask if ya want to get together after chatting -- and sometimes sooner than later IF you're available. No worries. :)

I feel like if someone is truly interested, he should give me at least a day's notice.

I disagree. I'm not offended when a girl asks me last minute. "OMG! She asks if I'd be up for meeting in only a couple hours?! She's Obviously Not Truly Interested in me!" I don't follow that logic. :) Again, they're merely asking.

Women tend to spend a lot of time getting ready for a date, choosing the right outfit, showering and primping, doing our nails, etc.

If it was a Sunday afternoon, I understand. Many gals though don't spend a ton of time doing that when much of that's been done already for earlier in the day. But again, he's Asking. Chill. If it's 4PM and he asks, and you had No Plans, thus, laying around in your sweats on the couch -- being at the place nearby @ 7PM would be too little time? That's not assumed to be so. And it's a whimsical, casual 1st meet -- it's not prom.

One of the men asked me out at 4 pm on a Thursday to go out later that night, which makes me wonder, why not ask me out on Friday, which is prime date night?

Uh oh. Read another thread about this concept. :) Actually, if he asked you on a Thursday, it's less likely the gal is sitting in her sweats on the couch, but more like at work. Again, it's not prom, so there's less pressure. That's the mindset of many men And women have.

But what is a controversy with some is whether Fri or Sat is a prime date night. For some, it can be -- but a 1st meet isn't a prime date. And many people are busy with friends, family, event plans, etc., and would rather burn off a 1st meet date with something casual, no pressure. Takes away the nerves from the online thing, ya know?

Women, what are your experiences with same-day date invites? And sex-pectations after dinner?

I think there's going to be sexpectations whether there's dinner or not, or a day delay or not. :) If the guy asks you to come over to his place after work, that's more in line with your worries. If that afternoon he's asking to take you out to dinner after work -- no, that doesn't imply he's expecting a porkfest. If you can't make it on that Thursday evening for the last-minute get-together question, and he disappears -- then maybe that'd be in line with your worries (or maybe not).
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2016 9:05:23 PM

I had to use Ajax and scotchbrite to remove her 'foundation' from the sink.

Make a paste by mixing Comet (non-scratch) with Vim Creme. This stuff cleans everything.

If I'm not working and not too knackered, I would need half an hour to shower, dry my hair and find clothes with no holes, paint or bleach stains.
(All of my clothes are clean, but distressed, very, very distressed.)
 kulahau
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/28/2016 2:16:17 PM
The distance between first contact and a meet varies. It depends a lot on what a person's 'dating trajectory' is. Are they looking to marry, or are they more of the no commitment type? I've had more than a few women abandon a series of e-mails without explanation. I wonder if they were expecting to skip the general banter, and go direct to meeting. In any case, dinner's not a great idea for a first meeting, as in addition to questions of who's getting the check, there is a long time commitment involved. First dates are all about seeing if there is any chemistry. That generally does not take an hour or so. Coffee/tea, or a drink are better options as you have no expectations for a long time commitment (who want's to prolong the agony if things are not going well?). Dinner is Not the sort of thing one can usually organize at the spur of the moment (especially if there are children involved).
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/28/2016 4:33:07 PM

What bothers me about the question is that they are asking me to go out to dinner with them THAT NIGHT,

Were you planning on skipping dinner THAT NIGHT?

Or did you have a state dinner at the White House already on your calendar?
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2016 5:17:59 PM
kulahau

I am with you that a first meet is not a first date and women in particular should not expect the guy to pick up the tab for dinner necessarily. In fact a first meet for me would be daytime, for a drink and just casual. Chemistry is there almost at the get go and I know pretty well within a few minutes if I would want to continue.

However a lot of people don't want to spend time with emails etc before meeting. It can build up a false picture or expectations that can be dashed on meeting in person. All this "getting to know "someone in cyberspace beforehand is a waste of time. Meet as soon as IMO. I have had guys give me their number within a few questions and I am okay with that if I felt I would be interested.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2016 5:22:52 PM
A later night invitation with someone I hardly know would not be on and especially at short notice. It would be because of a cancellation or a second try that evening perhaps. No thanks...

As for expecting sex after a dinner date, some may expect it but what sort of woman puts out that soon and what sort of man suggests it ?? I have heard of the blowjob in the carpark after a meal and drinks but that surely would be rare.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Does anyone follow DATING ETIQUETTE anymore?