Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Grammar, "attention seeking", and assertive communication.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 76
Grammar, attention seeking, and assertive communication.Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

All you new immigrants and children and grandkids of new immigrants may not like it but . . . well, I can't help your guilt and inferiority complex.

Wha?
Guilt and inferiority complex?
About what?
 oj126
Msg: 77
Grammar, attention seeking, and assertive communication.
Posted: 4/22/2016 1:28:50 PM
Don't worry Dayna from the sounds of it , you will remain very safe in the multi cult city of your choice. As we can see , on a daily basis , a certain percentage of the White Race remains racially aware and counter semetic. Much to the chagrin of of cultural marxists , a substantial amount of White and Blacks will not succumb to the self loathing agenda. As evident with the anti Trumps , the agenda is being threatened , folks chosing up sides , never seen it more contentous. Thanks , barook.
 Onyx49
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/22/2016 1:33:50 PM
Well...it's good to know that Dayna, is one of your Allies...but it's no surprise...should we presume now that you have all of the Whites commenting here in your pocket, because it seems that way...thank you for exposing them !!!
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/22/2016 1:48:57 PM

but it's no surprise...should we presume now that you have all of the Whites commenting here in your pocket, because it seems that way...thank you for exposing them !!!

Just because we comment on some of the assonite non-sense that the inhouse racist says, does not mean we are his ally. Also, just because you may say don't feed the animals at the zoo means we're going to follow.
 daynadaze
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:23:49 PM
onyx, just how did I become an ally of What's-his-name-this-week? And just what have I been exposed? Tell us please, what the hell are you talking about. And why are you, onyx, still feeding him?

Funny how the three of them are all on the same attack, at the same time. LOL
 NJgirl116
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:38:09 PM
*There is nothing "afro" about me. I used to wear an "afro." Black, yes. Couldn't and wouldn't want to deny that.*

So, we're all from somewhere. Somewhere online there is a 1937 interview with some old gentleman who used to be a slave, and he spoke of another man who tried to escape saying he wanted to go to Boston and make some money and then go back to Africa, and I think that's what he eventually did after emancipation according to the story. Here, I found the link: http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/pds/maai/enslavement/text8/runawayswpa.pdf
 Onyx49
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:47:58 PM
MSG-80
Dayna...as I told your friend " I don't associate with racists "...you sleep with dogs you're gonna get flea's"...GOTCHA !!!

MSG-81

NJgirl116...sooo...what are you saying...blacks should go live in Africa...being that I nor dee was born there..."go back too Africa...wouldn't apply....
 NJgirl116
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/22/2016 7:41:02 PM
No, I said we're all from somewhere, whether ourselves, our parents, our grandparents... but we're all American now.... because Dee said she's "not Afro" . We're all from somewhere to some degree. I meant no offense.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2016 4:22:54 AM
Any of yous lot know sign language? I understand that it will not be universal so it must cause untold problems for folk i would think.
Do yous know if folk from different areas have sign language that would be local slang words?

Although i would think that sign language in english would be 'proper' english. Would that be true do yous think?

In scotland, well in the schemes anyway we use lots of gypsy words which in turn seem to derive from hindu which apparently comes from sanskrit so we can talk amongst ourselves and away from nosey bizzies.

But i digress. So can anyone enlighten myself regarding sign language? I'm away for a pint or two so mind and behave and no bloodletting.

Tavery much
 Ouija2025
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/23/2016 5:45:36 AM
ASL - American sign language. Only used it here in Canada.. same as what they use in the States. Often not words but a simple gesture coupled with facial expression.
Complicated words or names are usually spelled out once before a nickname is given
I have a very long name, they shortened it to two letters :)
btw, when you attend a party and ppl who are deaf are drinking
Much like hearing ppl raise their voices
They sign both hands. And freakin fast Wanted to be an Interpreter. Been so long since I have used it much I am like a 3 year old.. but I can still help out stores, etc.
Totes different culture btw
 deetristate
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/23/2016 5:54:39 AM
I'm"from " the USA.

I used to live near a university dominated by deaf students and worked near a place where the not hearing had a meet up group. I would imagine that over time, slang does develop among groups.

Queens has slang not used by people in Manhattan.

Have you seen the pbs piece where they follow the Mississippi river from Minnesota and how the accents and language change, all quite interesting. You should check it out.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/23/2016 6:43:55 AM
uhhuh, and depending some of the signs can become hmm.. graphic. Hard to know if you are agreeing to the " wrong" thing. At most of the def GTGs no one was oral.. even tho they could use their voice.
And when I lived in the States people thought I had an accent. Here it is really only the Maritimes the accent is different than other Provinces.
In Kentucky the people spoke with a purr, liked that
 gtomustang
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/23/2016 7:36:08 AM
if I remember correctly, TV news anchors tend to be chosen from the Midwest of America b/c there is less of an accent.

Local slang is fun. Detective stories going back to Sherlock Holmes pick up on it. America likely has 10 different words for "sandwich", depending upon locale.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/23/2016 12:43:19 PM

I am a native american. I was born here, 7-8th generation. No one ever was or ever will be more American.

The definition of the word "native" means 'of birth' so in this case, lower-case "n" native american is correct. Capital "N" Native American would not be correct.
 deetristate
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/23/2016 1:59:30 PM
http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php/life/commentary/11389-native-american-vs-american-indian-political-correctness-dishonors-traditional-chiefs-of-old

"""""Who decided for us that we should be called "Native Americans?"

It was the mainstream media of course. One day a reporter was interviewing an East Coast Indian and the reporter said, "Indian" and the East Coast Indian said, "No, we don’t like to be called Indians because we got that name when Columbus thought he landed in India: We prefer to be called Native Americans."

"Well," the reporter replied, "I am of Irish descent but I was born in America so therefore I also am a Native American." And so when the story was published the Indian people were labeled as Native Americans. The white media had finally pulled one over the indigenous people.

The Lee Enterprise newspapers, and there are several of them in Indian Country, decided to cut this down even further and they told all of their reporters, editors and publishers to just use the word "Native" when referring to Indians, or to be politically correct, Native Americans. So when you read an article that goes, "He was a Native Rapid City guy" that doesn’t mean he was Native, it just means that he was native. In fact everyone who lives in Rapid City is a native.

The activist Russell Means preferred the name American Indian. He would say that just as you have Mexican Americans, African Americans, or Asian Americans, you should have American Indians.

During the activist days of the 1960s and 70s the U. S. Government responded to the activists’ protests by proposing the term "Native American." And so the anti-government activists decided to accept the name Native American, a name suggested by the United States Government, a government that they despised. Say what?

The other arguable explanation was Columbus’s use of the term "una gest in Dios" or "a people in God" which was reduced to "Indios" for every day usage by the Spaniards and later was further changed to "Indian" as the word moved north. And what’s more we hear that in 1492 Columbus could not have thought he had reached the Indies because at that time there was no Indies, but they instead were called Hindustan.

That sad part of this entire fiasco is that so many of the so-called "elitist Indians" have allowed themselves to be bullied into using the name "Native Americans" and even "Native" by a white media that seems to have set the agenda for what we should be called.

One elderly Lakota man from the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation said recently, "If some Indians want to be called Native Americans or Natives, let them be called that, but I was born an Indian and I shall die an Indian.

So if you travel to any Indian reservation out west you will soon discover that nearly all of the indigenous people refer to themselves as "Indian," especially the elders who are still fluent in their Indian language. As Chief Oliver Red Cloud said a few years before he died, "I am Lakota and I am Indian."

As an Indian newspaper we must be very careful that what we call ourselves is not dictated to us by the white media. We have been Indians for a few hundred years and the name carries our history. Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull and Little Wound (Read their quotes) all called themselves "Indian" and they said it with pride. Should we dishonor them by saying they were wrong?

Political correctness be damned: We will use "Indian" if and when we choose. We will not be intimidated by the politically correct bunch or the white media."""""
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 91
Posted: 4/23/2016 5:38:54 PM
My ASL teacher said she'd been told that its structure was more like Chinese than any other language. It's certainly not like English. My Chinese is small, but larger than my ASL, and I agree with my teacher: there are obvious likenesses. Perhaps for the same reason? Writing a word in Chinese and signing one is laborious--anything extraneous tends to get left out. If time is deemed important, for instance, a word is added to note that (later, tomorrow, last night, before), but no change in the actual form of the words used.

As an aside, it's actually pretty funny that the Japanese adopted it for their writing system, considering that Japanese is highly inflected, and Chinese is not at all. Had to be mended later with lots of other characters, making Japanese even harder to write than Chinese, and it was already harder to speak. Still, while Chinese and Japanese cannot speak to each other, I've seen fairly long convos happen in writing, lol!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe we should adopt Canadian usage? First Nations has a nice ring.
 lilydreams
Msg: 92
Posted: 4/23/2016 6:31:28 PM
So Dee is now a Native American. Cool. But she's not an Indian. She's not Indigenous. Her "people" came here or were brought here, just like mine. But Dee is not an Indian. Only Indians are the true "owners" of the land we now call the United States of America. You can add Canada in there as well other than the Denai or Inuit or Indigenous Peoples would want to share with the Indians as to who owns Mother Earth.

And yes, First Nations works too.
 Aprilovesrosasblancas
Msg: 93
Posted: 4/23/2016 6:31:53 PM

Do yous know if folk from different areas have sign language.......i would think that sign language in english would be 'proper' english.?

Yes, ....Many people in US age 10 up use sign language to communicate with each other.

the "Middle Finger" is a sign language for many.!

ETA

Well I am going to be fair here; and say that "many people of other countries including mine, use that"sign language" too...lol
 NJgirl116
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/24/2016 12:53:38 AM

So Dee is now a Native American. Cool. But she's not an Indian. She's not Indigenous. Her "people" came here or were brought here, just like mine. But Dee is not an Indian. Only Indians are the true "owners" of the land we now call the United States of America. You can add Canada in there as well other than the Denai or Inuit or Indigenous Peoples would want to share with the Indians as to who owns Mother Earth.

At least it's no longer okay to call Indians "our red boys" (the endearing term Indian soldiers returning home from World War I were called in a nineteen twenties book I recently came across). This country has such messed up history that perhaps winning at getting a respectful name for your ethnicity gives some sense of justice?

But our classifications still don't keep up with the diversity here, as an example Homeland Security's current classification of race on its applications is as follows: 1. white 2. Asian 3. black or African American 4. American Indian or Alaska Native 5. Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. And Hispanic clients have no idea how to fill out this box. You can't leave it blank. The "Hispanic or Non-Hispanic" selection is a whole other separate box. I tried to answer this question for my Mexican client. The only answer I could think of for him was Native American, but the application instructions specified that it only applies to Indians with actual tribal affiliation. I went to my boss, and with her usual attitude she said, "He is white!" He is? Then I researched online and saw that many Hispanics complain about this question as not containing an appropriate selection for them, and therefore they put inaccurate answers which perhaps skews Homeland Security data? I also saw a nanny application from some Southern state, which included a race question and the selections were: white, black and other.
 deetristate
Msg: 95
Posted: 4/24/2016 1:55:06 AM
I am an Indian? That is news to me.

You people need to get off this guilt thing.
I know that it is "cool" and PC and nice to talk about at Whole Foods to say otherwise and carry on about "stolen land" but I own my property.
And Neymar
and people of Chinese descent in Peru

CynthiaSM
Msg: 96
Posted: 4/24/2016 2:03:55 AM
Ah, so you believe people are whatever race they identify with because of where they were born (rather than genetically decended from) and to 'believe' otherwise is merely being PC ...
Then you must also believe people should use whichever bathroom is marked with the gender they identify with instead of genetically born with and to believe otherwise is merely being PC?
 NJgirl116
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/24/2016 2:31:13 AM
I agree Hispanic is not a race, I was just pointing out that the current available choices on the applications people have to fill out, is incomplete. My boss decided that my client from the Mexican state of Puebla, who looks like a cigar store Indian, is white for the purposes of the application. He shrugged and said "the lawyer knows better."
 Jo van
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/24/2016 5:32:10 AM
Well, this thread's taken an interesting turn.
What happened to the OP?

Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull and Little Wound (Read their quotes) all called themselves "Indian" and they said it with pride. Should we dishonor them by saying they were wrong?

(My bold)
I loath this sort of "thinking".
Do we also "dishonour" our ancestors, by stopping using the words that "white" people previously used, for people with dark skins? (You all know the word)
Do we "dishonour" our ancestors by stopping using mercury fillings in our teeth, or lead water pipes?
Do we "dishonour" our ancestors by stopping believing that it's ok to beat your wife and/or children?
Or by no longer killing women who have been raped?
I don't believe so.
I think our ancestors were working with completely different 'sets' of known information, and were consequently, wrong, about pretty much everything.
I believe we honour our ancestors, far more, by striving for better, and seeking the truth.

Homeland Security's current classification of race on its applications is as follows: 1. white 2. Asian 3. black or African American 4. American Indian or Alaska Native 5. Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. And Hispanic clients have no idea how to fill out this box.

This shows why the entire paradigm of "race" is so ridiculous, IMO.
Apart from "white" being such a subjective opinion, and poorly defined. The other categories are all associated with places of origin, for those alleged "races".
Places stay put. BUT people don't, and they never did.
Eg.
"American Indians/Native Americans/First Nations" etc are genetically descended from people from what is now called "Asia" too. (Specifically, "Siberia")

Everywhere people settled, and then that group of people became associated with that area, (Eg "American Indians"), they had first originated from somewhere else !!

There were never any clearly defined, isolated populations.
We all share common ancestry

By the time you go back just 1,000 years, we each have over a trillion direct ancestors, - that's more people than have ever existed.
We each have one million direct ancestors, at just 500 years ago.
That's why it always makes me laugh, when people say they've "traced their family tree back, 500 years!"
-NO, they haven't. They've traced it back to just ONE ancestor, 500 years ago.

I don't say these things to try and "insult", or "flame" people, but because they're true.
"Race" was, and still is, a huge mistake.
Just like religion really.

We all make mistakes.

Finally, back On-topic:
I wish to assertively communicate that, grammar, like everything else, changes, over time.

No racists were harmed in the writing of this post.
JMO
Happy Sunday
 trasplantado
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:41:25 AM

Typical liberal. Trying to dictate what I am to me. But let me say that Bruce is still a man and all breaks loose. You people kill me! LOL!

Then she says, "be proud". If that is not typical condescending liberal, I'm not a black. . . . native american.

I am a native american. I was born here, 7-8th generation. No one ever was or ever will be more American.

All you new immigrants and children and grandkids of new immigrants may not like it but . . . well, I can't help your guilt and inferiority complex.

There is nothing "afro" about me. I used to wear an "afro." Black, yes. Couldn't and wouldn't want to deny that.

Again, you people kill me.

By the way, 7th generation on one side and 8th on the other.

Why would anyone who tries very hard to portray herself so proudly as a black person, would also want to appropriate for herself the term used to refer to the descendants of the indigenous people in a respectful manner?
 lilydreams
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:45:44 AM
No Dee, you're NOT an Indian and you're not Indigenous either. You're a native American (small "n") but you're not a Native American. You dnt have deep roots, you have shallow roots.

And I don't feel guilty. My ancestors (I'm 9th or 10th generation) may have caused the death of some Indians by shooting them or giving them small pox or the like. And I didn't bring the Africans over in ships to be salves. No guilt. I will say, a few of my Metis friends were put in residential schools the good old Catholic Church abused them physically, sexually and mentally.

Slaves, nope, don't know any.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Grammar, "attention seeking", and assertive communication.