Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Grammar, "attention seeking", and assertive communication.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deetristate
Msg: 101
Grammar, attention seeking, and assertive communication.Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
For those who have a problem with the content of post #90,

The Native Sun News Editorial Board can be reached at editor@nsweekly.com
 Walts
Msg: 102
Grammar, attention seeking, and assertive communication.
Posted: 4/24/2016 7:48:25 AM
It's not the article. It's you trying to use it as evidence to prove something that you believe in.

Don't believe me?????

Go back and reread your own words.

I know, it was less than a day ago, and it may be hard to remember that far back.

Bonus of the internet, don't ya love it??????
 cotter
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2016 8:33:31 AM
Maybe the poster in Messages 90 / 101 really is ... Native/native American ... mixed with other things.

She could even be "part slave"? Should the word "slave" be written with an upper or lower case "S"? And what if your relative was an "indentured" slave who traveled here on their own initiative as opposed to being a "slave-slave" who was brought here against their will?

What difference does it make where we "came" from? Isn't it more important what we "make" of ourselves?

OT ...
Grammar: A lot of people on here are passionate about it. Sometimes we point out others' grammatical errors.
There are posters in here that I tend to avoid because it just takes too long to figure out what they're saying. For example, I can't seem to make it through Vlad's longer posts ... gave up reading them a long time ago.

I'm really most interested in meeting people who are literate enough not to cause me to cringe when they speak.

I went to nursing school with people who speak like ... well, I don't know what to call it ... "He done this" and "She don't / He don't do that" or "I seen that" and "He / she / I done this".

We have such nurses working at our nursing agency and I often wondered if they carried it over to their nursing notes. They do ... and when I have to read / review their nursing notes it makes my hair stand up.

In nursing school the instructors were told not to grade on "grammar" .... because that might be considered "prejudice". Really? So now it's expecting too much for for someone working in the medical field, documenting on the state of others' health to write as if they have more than a 3rd or 4th grade education? To expect that might be considered "prejudiced"?

We had a young lady from Germany and a young man from Russia in our nursing class, and even though they spoke "broken English", they never misspoke the way some of our "native born" students did.
 lilydreams
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/24/2016 8:47:18 AM
The "where we came from" posts are part of the topic - attention seeking. The "attention seeking" seems to come from the white KKK member who twists every thread into a "white is right" thread.

I can't read Vlad either, or Hawkings.

Grammar drives me nuts. I agree Cotter, the 'I seen you yesterday" or "I don't got no coffee" or the "can you borrow me a pencil" drive me bonkers. And the word "ask" does not have an "x" in it. Even watching the local news; can't the news presenters practice the pronunciation of a place or name before they butcher it on air?

I am forgiving of typos on here as many are on tablets or phones and small letters, larger fingers.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/24/2016 9:15:53 AM
"Tradition"is important? So since the DC football team has been called the redskins since it was legal to kill an "injun", that should never change.
Also the Cleveland baseball team depicts a bucktoothed "Chuef Wahoo", that's cool?
Dee many rappers proudly call themselves "n..er", so to respect them I should use that word too? Since they use it in self reference.

In some other languages you do use double or triple negatives ...for someone with English as a second language, it could be difficult to get used to the directive to use only one
 daynadaze
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2016 11:07:04 AM

You people need to get off this guilt thing.

Ah, now where have we heard this before...
 deetristate
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/24/2016 5:05:36 PM
""""What difference does it make where we "came" from? Isn't it more important what we "make" of ourselves?""

That.

Also people shouldn't feel "guilt" because your ancestors killed american indians or had slaves or whatever. It is also not noble and you don't get any points for downplaying your existence as a native american because of that guilt.
I used to work in a job where people had to write down the claims that people made. You could tell that several of the employees thought that it was funny and felt superior to quote the people exactly , with bad grammar or the wrong word or whatever so that they could make fun of them. I thought that they were sad people.
Knock yourself out with the n-word. People who claim that it not something people should say always, like you, manage to work it in and use it, even if they do it under the guise of attempting to be super liberals, "defending" people, as an example of what not to say or in attempting to establish some point.
Who cares.

Again he Native Sun News Editorial Board can be reached at editor@nsweekly.com
 lilydreams
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/24/2016 5:21:36 PM
I remember a big to do in an office I worked in over the words "regard" and "regards". The poor gal that had used it incorrectly in a letter second guessed her grammar for the next two years until she moved on, but she knows how to use that word correctly. If it's part of your job, you should know things or at least be willing to learn.

As for making fun of those of folks who can't spell in the example Dee gave ...that's like making fun of someone that has never learned something. There is a difference between lack of knowledge and ignorance. We can't possibly know everything.

As for the n-word, hell, it's like the f-word or the c-word. It's everywhere so own it or ignore it. Liberals may get pissy if someone dare use that word but the conservatives still use it and are pissed they can't use it openly like waving the confederate flag or packing their pistol on their hip like John Wayne. And the conservatives have replaced their blacks with Mexicans. As the world turns.
 Onyx49
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/24/2016 5:24:08 PM
Well...telling someone to feel free to use the n-word...is like blindfolding them and leading them into a shark tank...depending on who they direct it to...this is the internet and most people here ain't real, so it don't matter...but in a face to face, it could cost you more then you can afford.
The goes for any type of derogatory names used to describe somebody's race...but the n-word is the only one that really has a death sentence...whether in the courtroom, or the street.
 lilydreams
Msg: 110
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:20:06 PM
Well, according to Dee us super liberals get all pissy when we hear that word. But...we ALL have, in the past and the present, used some pretty nasty words as insults for different cultures, different races, different genders, the LGTB community and now the newish kid on the block, transgendered. You could add in there anything that is out of our comfort zone, scope of knowledge and generally anything we find that is icky.

So really , think back on what you (the royal you) have called people in the past, hell, just on here, before you make a statement about what words will be a "death sentence".
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/24/2016 10:12:42 PM
But...we ALL have, in the past and the present,

Nope. We all haven't.
 gtomustang
Msg: 112
Posted: 4/24/2016 10:30:44 PM
and so here we all are, using titles and catagories to beat each other over the head with again. sort of the original point asked at the beginning of the post. Any of you ever watch that great Nick Nolte movie, "Q&A"? go and watch it if you haven't. sometimes racial insults can be a way to connect as well as separate. I remember an Italian fellow who signed up for a state job, and his last name seemed "Hispanic", so he used that to his advantage at the time. In the good ol' days, you relied on an Elks ring or a Masonic tie clip for that.
 oj126
Msg: 113
Posted: 4/25/2016 2:17:33 AM
Onyx , Are these same people offended by the word "negro"? If so , you need to change the name of that college fund.
 Onyx49
Msg: 114
Posted: 4/25/2016 3:23:22 AM
Drop Dead you fcck'n racist pitbull...was I tawk'n to you...mind ur fcck'n business, and stop mentioning me in ur got damn posts....
 deetristate
Msg: 115
Posted: 4/25/2016 6:19:59 AM
Actually, "superliberals" use the word more than any racists I have encountered. They sneak it in while being high and mighty and saying what people shouldn't say or calling someone else a racist for using the word or allegedly quoting other people. They just like to use it.

Knock yourself out.

Onyx49
Msg: 116
Posted: 4/25/2016 6:24:48 AM
Well-dee...if this is happening in your world...that's on YOU...
Allowing those people to use you as a comfort zone...is the same as being a sell out...make a fcck'n choice...because if you let them do it to you...they will think they can do it to me...and you know how that's gonna go.....
 oj126
Msg: 117
Posted: 4/25/2016 6:32:08 AM
Speaking of comfort zones , whom do you think Shillary will utilize as a "house boy " for a running mate? Duvall Patrick? Seriously , what kind of Black person would let themselves be sucked into being a clintonista?
 deetristate
Msg: 118
Posted: 4/25/2016 6:59:09 AM
I am not "allowing" them, onyx. They like to use it under the cover of liberalspeak. They have to face whatever consequences come from that usage.
 2beetoo
Msg: 119
Posted: 4/25/2016 7:03:30 AM
Bullshyt. I never hear the n word, from liberals or not. In fact the only time I hear it is in movies about the hood, where the black tough call each other the n word.
 lilydreams
Msg: 120
Posted: 4/25/2016 8:32:35 AM
That's why I don't listen to rap crap - too much of the n word and every woman is a b!tch or a ho. No thanks.

And Wooby - you are totally correct, I should never have used the word ALL, I should replace is with "many".

And the n word is not something I hear even on an irregular basis unless its coming from a black person on tv or in a movie or a few interviews.

Dee - is your thinking on "super-liberals" the same as you thoughts on "militant atheists"?? Just wondering because you have an odd way of looking at things. But I guess "super-liberals" is sort of like using "tea-baggers" to describe "super-conservatives". I do notice that more "super-conservatives" tend to be racist, bigoted and homophobic. They don't like anything much past guns, god, straight and living in a box with high walls. Not all that open minded either.
 chinook1111
Msg: 121
Posted: 4/25/2016 9:33:22 AM
@lillydreams
Don't forget the Protestants when they had the chance eh?Catholics just happened to have more schools,white protestants didn't feel it was worth the time.

Nobody here has to present their ancestry DNA test.Dee simply pointed out a small part of her ancestry,which goes back a long way in America.Check out the Queens ancestry.

N word not acceptable in daily living.

crook_catcher
Msg: 122
Posted: 4/25/2016 10:00:34 AM

N word not acceptable in daily living.

I agree with this. What I find blatantly hypocritical are those who are indignant at the use of that word but then don't hesitate to use derogatory terms associated with demeaning other groups in an attempt to insult others. How do you rationalize that? :/
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/25/2016 10:20:38 AM
it's OK to say cracker, redneck, lieberal, repuglicant, Teabagger, etc..?
as well as make sweeping statements such as every white person south of the Mason Dixon line is hardcore racist?
AS IF THERE AREN'T JUST ABOUT THE SAME PERCENTAGE NORTH OF IT
 CaliforniaTiger01
Msg: 124
Posted: 4/25/2016 11:21:55 AM
What about 'boogie'? Is that a racist word? I just say try your best not to slur. Best effort.
 oj126
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/25/2016 12:47:46 PM
Needless to say Y'all contribute to the "United Negro College Fund" Correct?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Grammar, "attention seeking", and assertive communication.