Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Grammar, "attention seeking", and assertive communication.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deetristate
Msg: 126
Grammar, attention seeking, and assertive communication.Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
It's bougie.
_-------

Yes.
Have you contributed to any of these?

http://www.pac1944.org/students/scholarships.html

Polish Union of America Scholarship
Polish Summer School Scholarship
Pulaski Association of Business and Professional Men Scholarship
Pulaski Scholarships for Advanced Studies
Rhode Island Polonia Undergraduate Scholarship
Roth: Arthur and Genevieve Roth Scholarship
Skalny: Louis & Nellie Skalny Scholarships for Polish Studies
Slota: Reverend Frederick V. Slota Scholarship
Syracuse: Polish Scholarship Fund of Syracuse
Wasie Foundation Scholarship
Woodrow Wilson Center Fellowship
Young: American Polish Council of Long Island Leon Young Scholarship
Zakrzeski: Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship

For the whole list, see the site above.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Grammar, attention seeking, and assertive communication.
Posted: 4/25/2016 10:20:25 PM

Another thing: So say someone is self-conscious about their writing ability, but they go outside of their comfort zone and post on here, and then are ridiculed. It reminds me of when people make derogatory remarks about a fat person they see exercising. Is it just me, or does this not make much sense?

If it's about real petty stuff, yeah. If they're Horrible at writing, misspelling words, using horrible grammar -- no, that should be open to criticizing. Much the same as seeing an idiot like me write too much in many posts. :)

"Attention seeking": Sometimetimes people need to feel validated. Sometimes they need interaction. Often attention seeking is applied to children. I've always felt that if a child needs attention, they should be given attention. Am I alone in this, and can it not apply to adults, as well?

Technically, if a forum topic is about one's own predicament or dating situation -- they Should be seeking attention. Nobody paying attention to their situation (them) means no responses to the thread they created. So of course Attention Seeking is proper and Is the point to it all. I don't think "Attention Seeking" = needing to feel validated, though. It's merely seeking some attention to their issue. So, I don't see "Attention Seeking" as the best title. Better if it'd be "Seeking Praise". :)

Assertive communication 101: Aggression puts a wall up, and causes people to get defensive

Yeah. Nothing wrong with technically getting defensive, but when's too assertive in a Negative way toward somebody -- it will make most people involved not care about the logic of the original argument and resolution, but just name-calling, etc.
 cotter
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2016 1:01:57 PM
Message 121 ...
Catholics just happened to have more schools,white protestants didn't feel it was worth the time.
"White" protestants? What does ethnicity have to do with it?

The time? What does that have to do with anything?

Isn't there an expense involved in sending your children to a parochial school? Why would a person pay their taxes and then incur still more expense in sending their children to a “religious” school when public school is free?

The Lutherans have parochial schools don't they? There are a lot of born-again "X-tian" schools. Aren't those considered "protestant" religions?
 lilydreams
Msg: 129
Posted: 4/28/2016 1:09:29 PM
Cotter, message 121 is responding to my post #100.

Residential schools in Canada where the Catholics beat and rape the "Indian " out of the Indians. The Catholics had far more schools here but the Anglican schools were no better.
 Beats_so_Lonely
Msg: 130
Posted: 4/28/2016 7:17:19 PM
^^^^^
It doesn't matter what church did what. Canadian society as a whole was the catalyst.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2016 11:31:35 AM
I have always stuck to the belief that grammar snobs are so far up their own arses they tickle their tonsils with their tongues.

I'm Scottish as lots of yous know. We have a distinct dialect. I was at my mates wee mans first birthday party today. It was not a christening as most of us do not believe in Christianity.

The humanist geezer spoke in an east of scotland accent. The guests all spoke edinburgh scots. The wee mans family is from kirkcaldy in the kingdom of fife.

At a humanist 'naming' day there are no god parents. They are in auld scots good parents. I'm glad i live my life with real folk and not stuck up arseholes.

His aunty read the poem below. She is a proud fifer.

WHY would anyone want folk to speak only the queens english? If you do not know a word look it up.

Grammer snobs. Up your bahookies wi a jaggy nettle and nae dockin leaves.

"The Boy in the Train

This poem by M C Smith is full of the anticipation - and questioning - of an excited child on his way to see his Gran in Kirkcaldy - which is known more for the smell from the linoleum factories than as a tourist destination!

The Boy in the Train

Whit wey does the engine say 'Toot-toot'?
Is it feart to gang in the tunnel?
Whit wey is the furnace no pit oot
When the rain gangs doon the funnel?
What'll I hae for my tea the nicht?
A herrin', or maybe a haddie?
Has Gran'ma gotten electric licht?
Is the next stop Kirkcaddy?
There's a hoodie-craw on yon turnip-raw!
An' seagulls! - sax or seeven.
I'll no fa' oot o' the windae, Maw,
Its sneckit, as sure as I'm leevin'.
We're into the tunnel! we're a' in the dark!
But dinna be frichtit, Daddy,
We'll sune be comin' to Beveridge Park,
And the next stop's Kirkcaddy!

Is yon the mune I see in the sky?
It's awfu' wee an' curly,
See! there's a coo and a cauf ootbye,
An' a lassie pu'in' a hurly!
He's chackit the tickets and gien them back,
Sae gie me my ain yin, Daddy.
Lift doon the bag frae the luggage rack,
For the next stop's Kirkcaddy!

There's a gey wheen boats at the harbour mou',
And eh! dae ya see the cruisers?
The cinnamon drop I was sookin' the noo
Has tummelt an' stuck tae ma troosers. . .
I'll sune be ringin' ma Gran'ma's bell,
She'll cry, 'Come ben, my laddie',
For I ken mysel' by the queer-like smell
That the next stop's Kirkcaddy!"
http://www.rampantscotland.com/poetry/blpoems_kirkcaldy.htm
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 132
Posted: 5/29/2016 11:48:38 AM

I have always stuck to the belief that grammar snobs are so far up their own arses they tickle their tonsils with their tongues.

I read this yesterday, thought it was cute. It was just a simple survey thing it looks like the researchers did, so take it as you will, but it made me smile.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/15/grammar-obsessed-personality-study/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#zxn1WTVLGPqI
 pianopetaI
Msg: 133
Posted: 5/29/2016 12:22:04 PM
I agree 1000%. Attention speaking people always say outrageous stuff just because they are attention seeking. They are judgmental and opinioniated. And the guys are dangerous.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2016 1:45:06 PM
"I agree 1000%. Attention speaking people always say outrageous stuff just because they are attention seeking. They are judgmental and opinioniated. And the guys are dangerous."

Aw here that was most chucklesome. Made me smile that did. And ouch I'll remove that barb from my side the morn.

Point taken though. And very well put.

Applause like smiley thingy

Oooo messages this short thingy. We won the scottish cup last week. First time in 114 years. What a boss week it has been for guzzlin drink.

We beat the forces of loyalism 3-2. Last min goal by david gray. What a party it was. We were still guzzlin today at the naming ceremony.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2016 6:36:14 PM
@vlad:

That would depend on why they are being a "snob". is it because they think they are better/more educated/smarter than you - or is it because they haven''t got a clue WTF you're talking about, and are trying to find out?

I'm Scottish as lots of yous know. We have a distinct dialect.

I'm from Newfoundland. We don't have a distinct dialect - we have HUNDREDS of distinct dialects. Because of the isolation, English in Newfoundland didn't develop the way it did in the rest of the world - and exactly how it is spoken changes literally from one outport to the next. I grew up in the province, and there are people there that *I* need a translator for. Essentially, "Newfie" is archaic English. I've heard it said many times that if Shakespeare were alive today, the only place in the world he'd be understood is in Newfoundland.

Even though my family has been on this side of the pond since the mid 1600s, I'm still technically 1st generation Canadian. Both of my parents were born in Newfoundland before 1949, when what is now a province was a separate country.

Now, to get to the point ....... as it happens, I am fairly well educated, as are my brothers and sisters (10 of us in all). We all speak "proper" english. Except when we get together. When we're in one room, it only takes 10/15 minutes before we stop speaking English and revert to our native "Newfie".

I can guarantee you that if I transcribed a conversation between myself and my siblings as it sounded that there isn't a person in this form who would have even the slightest clue WTF we were talking about.

But what would be the point of THAT? I don't post in here to crow about my heritage, however proud of it I may be. And it would be counter-productive if I used my native "style" for postings here. When I post, it is so my opinion on something can be known by others. If they read my posts, presumably it's because they're interested in my opinion on some level. If I write in a manner that makes it difficult or impossible for them to understand what the hell I'm talking about, then we're BOTH wasting our time - me in the writing, them in the reading.

Yes, vlad, you're Scottish - despite your Romanian name. We know - we get that. It's been made abundantly clear many times. But I would suggest that it is YOU that are being the snob because of your writing style. I'm pretty sure that most people's eyes just glaze over when they see a posting of yours because the know that it's going to be HARD WORK to read and understand what you're trying to say, and much of the time they won't think it's worth the effort. I know that's how I react when I see your posts.

Your pride in your heritage isn't helping you - it's hindering you. I've had private email exchanges with you in the past - I know you can write clearly if you want to. All the time and effort you put into writing in your "native" style isn't helping, and it's counter-productive. The whole point of communication is to COMMUNICATE - and when you go out of your way to make it more difficult for people to understand what you say, you're defeating the whole purpose.

You SHOULD be proud of your heritage. Everybody should. But if you use it as a dildo to beat everybody over the head with, and then call THEM the snobs, you might want to look in the mirror a bit.

Note: In Newfoundland, we still use the term "dildo" with it's original meaning, which does NOT include sexual activity. See if you can find a dictionary anywhere that will give you that archaic definition - you'll need it, and maybe the example will help prove my point. Its use here (intentionally) obfuscates what I'm trying to say, and makes my point harder to follow - which is kinda my point.
 kj521
Msg: 136
Posted: 5/31/2016 7:38:51 PM
"But I would suggest that it is YOU that are being the snob because of your writing style. I'm pretty sure that most people's eyes just glaze over when they see a posting of yours because the know that it's going to be HARD WORK to read and understand what you're trying to say, and much of the time they won't think it's worth the effort. I know that's how I react when I see your posts."

I will have to respectfully disagree, Mr. Notgorshkovagain. I rather enjoy the way Vlad posts. I have learned much about his beloved Scotland among many other subject matters he is quite knowledgeable in. And most amusing is that I find myself attempting to read his posts with his native accent in my head.

To each their own. :)
 deetristate
Msg: 137
Posted: 5/31/2016 7:52:00 PM
I agree, kj. I really enjoy what Vlad writes. It is interesting and I can almost hear him saying the words out loud. And there is no trouble understanding what he is saying (the point that he is making). His writing is beautiful almost-poetry.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 138
Posted: 5/31/2016 8:09:06 PM
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2016 11:19:29 PM
Gorshy
The poem i quoted was read out in my mates bairns naming day on sunday. The wee mans family on his ma's side are from kirkcaldy. First time i had heard it. Thought it was boss.

I love regional accents. One of my best mates has lived in london for years. His mixture of edinburgh and london words when speaking is boss.

Aye i can write and converse in english but i find sometimes things get taken a bit too seriously on here.

As for your family accent why no pm me using the words you would use with them? I'd be interested in looking out for what words meant.
Cheers

KJ and Dee
Cheers lassies.

Wooby
Aye the bard.
Do yous all sing Auld Lang Syne at new year? Then yous are talking like we do in parts of scotland.
P.s. it is SIGN and not ZYNE.

I wish more posters would use localised words. But hey that's just me. We use a right few gypsy words in our daily wafflings. A geezer from the football who works in the library found a cracking book which was about gypsy language. The words in gypsy are nearly the same in hindi and both resemble sanskrit.

So technically i COULD claim minority status and scream istismophobia. But i won't.

Toodle pip from a very very sunny e/burgh

Gorshy
Dildo being a small town or used as a pin in boatbuilding? Would i be close?
I noticed before canada also has a town called swastika.

See i find these things interesting and look them up and read about them. I shall be dildo entranced on the way to work as i read about it on the bus.

And my pal who lives in ktown has no problem at all understanding me when i talk or write in scots english.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Grammar, "attention seeking", and assertive communication.