Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guess what I'm about to do...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 74
Guess what I'm about to do...Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
NJGirl, it seems you have a new secret admirer...
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 75
Guess what I'm about to do...
Posted: 5/5/2016 7:38:43 AM
^^^^^^ Hey, you're pretty talented !
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 76
Posted: 5/5/2016 7:43:43 AM
Is there a 12 step program to get over being a judgmental a-hole ? A-holes Anonymous. ?
 gtomustang
Msg: 77
Guess what i'll get for trying to better myself
Posted: 5/5/2016 8:15:11 AM
yes, its called POF Forum. You come here, post, make sock puppets, get kicked out, and in frustration b/c you can't come back, change into something better like a butterfly shaking off a cocoon. you leave a better person, never needing to be here again (b/c you say so in your last post).
 Ouija2025
Msg: 78
Posted: 5/5/2016 8:38:35 AM
You all realize there is going to be a 5th, 6th and 7th time don't you?
Swan, can you do " Let's go crazy" ?
 Cycling99
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/5/2016 6:30:38 PM
There's an addict, with high school education, and a life full of poor decisions, posting in every forum because she's a sad needy person, trying to fill the void in her life by dispensing artificial advice to other without those pesky academic education, credentials, certifications or good common sense. click·e·ty-clack click·e·ty-clack click·e·ty-clack click·e·ty-clack click·e·ty-clack click·e·ty-clack click·e·ty-clack

I'm gonna go watch Game of Thrones. Jon Snow lives!!!
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2016 8:03:06 PM
Cycling, Could you explain what your obsession with addicts is? It's getting really old already.
Good that you're all that, and the advice you give is the real thing and not artificial. Geez, you even got more than a measly high school edumacation.
Bet you've never made a poor decision in your life either...good on you. Read your profile past the line and I did not find it funny .Now I'm gonna go do something to fill that void in my life and figure out what makes you so smart.
Might take a while.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/5/2016 8:34:56 PM
Folks, please don't engage him. He has mental issues... I say it most compassionately.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2016 8:59:35 PM
I agree NJ. :) To me when it comes to not drinking, the best is when accompanied by others who barely drink or aren't drinking at all that evening. I think smoking's Way harder to quit once you get into it day to day, as opposed to weekend or extended weekend drinking regularly. But everyone's bodies vary at least to some degree. I never drank hard liquor (occasional shot) -- mostly light beer, so it's easy for me to say... but mostly my need was social-related (but still pretty strong that way).

Which is why in college -- man, not drinking on more than one Sat night would have been like asking me to say no to a model who'd want to go home with me. I had to put thought & action in controlling that at some points.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/5/2016 9:22:23 PM

I had to put thought & action in controlling that at some points.

That's the smart way to do it. Listening to your mind/body and navigating. Not waiting for s*** to hit the fan before you do something about it.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/5/2016 9:29:14 PM
Just my 2 cents, but quitting drinking is easier younger then older.

I drink to bury my emotions.

I hope you can make sobriety a lifestyle :)

For me, the benefits of drinking out weigh the cons thus far.

YMMV
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 5:31:33 AM

I spent a year observing and conversing with alcoholics and people with addictions. The last meeting I attended, I listened to a man in his 60s expressing anxiety about being tested for alcohol-induced dementia later that day. The vast majority of alcoholics within the group were depressives. Therapy is less injurious to health.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 3:41:37 PM
I had to quit drinking because of an anti-biotic I'm taking, for the first 3 weeks it was pretty tough then it got easier the last 3 weeks. I saved a lot of money and really didn't miss it like I thought I would
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/6/2016 3:50:36 PM
^^^^^^If you don't mind me asking, why were the first 3 weeks tough ? Was it because you missed having a buzz ?

Why do you think it became easier ?

Thanks
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 4:28:33 PM

Just my 2 cents, but quitting drinking is easier younger then older.

I think in a way it is, but it can be the toughest. I think environmentally it can be really tough to quit -- like college living. I can see when you get older you get more set in your ways, so I definitely see how it's harder in that regard. I don't drink every day or nearly every day, but every weekend or extended weekend some. IMO, it's easiest when in a (functional) relationship where they don't drink much. Years ago I was in a lengthy relationship and without me really realizing it, for all practical purposes I didn't drink for 6 months or so. Didn't even think about it. She didn't like going out except to family places, and they rarely drank. In more recent times I purposely didn't drink for 6 months and that was hard as I like to go out (and needed a wingman for that too) -- but I did get used to it.

As Homer Simpson said -- alcohol is the cause AND solution to all of life's problems. :)

Interesting. It can be that way for me (or anyone) when dealing with tough times in-the-moment. Always a good 'getaway' going out and getting a real good drink on. But man, I couldn't get a Good drink on for more than 3 days in a row. I'd be dying. But of course, I only drink light beer. Less filling my arse!

The vast majority of alcoholics within the group were depressives.

I went to AA many times with no requirements or anything, nor a huge drinking problem but I figured I'd what they did in "Fight Club", as in utilizing group sessions to meet gals (I know, bad) while I was on my no-drinking diet a while back. I think one of the things about AA is that they'll label virtually anyone who drinks at least semi-regularly as an alcoholic, although there are many members who do understand there's vastly different levels of 'addiction', and recognize it's stretched too much. But there's many who quick to label as such, much the same way people will do about any Potentially addictive problem one could have with anything. It makes one feel lesser of a person if someone else can have a problem but dust themselves off and walk straight somewhat swiftly no prob, where they can't. It feels better to see it as very very bad news in general, not for themselves, but for people as a whole. It can be a sneaky bugger, and drinking is often underplayed by society in it's negatives, but AA definitely does go overboard on the opposite end. (See South Park episode hitting on this).

If you don't mind me asking, why were the first 3 weeks tough ? Was it because you missed having a buzz ?

For me it was no different being home on a weekday/evening. The main problem was going out on a date and NOT drinking a beer looking like a square or some diet freak. The other main problem was not getting a buzz when going out to active bars. I did learn to order a soda water with lime and lemon with a splash of pineapple or cranberry, making it look like a drink. But I missed the liquid courage, and yes, the buzz makes you feel more comfortable/fit-in when it's not an ideal environment.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 7:44:16 PM
I've been sober since 1989. You can do it. Don't sweat it. Just don't drink one day at a time. Find some support. Pick a sober date and put the plug in the jug. Some people like to join a group. It might make it easier for you to share your experience. Get strength and hope from others.
Thirty days won't cure you, for some it takes about 5 years just to get your marbles back.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guess what I'm about to do...