Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do most men consider women who are on pof to be "damaged goods"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Subject line has been altered Page 6 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
I'm curious...someone who has such a weird view of the act of asking another about their past relations, if you wanted to know about any possible criminal record of mine, and I said that you were invading my privacy, couldn't have a valid reason for asking, were juvenile and controlling, insecure, and couldn't possibly be a real man/woman...would you have the same attitude? Are you about to say "but that's different"? If so, how is it different? Is it different in any way that has anything to do with it being a person's prerogative to ask these questions? Is it different in any way that affects whether or not you can ascribe intrinsically negative attitudes about asking these questions?

Are any of you even capable of comprehending these concepts in the first place? Just admit it - you're casual sexers, and/or careless and irresponsible, and/or pretty damned shallow.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 127
Subject line has been altered
Posted: 6/4/2016 8:09:40 PM
Besides if I was asked I would get all goofy and snort laugh, if I asked him then I might get jealous thinking he had been with I think the point trying to be made is WHY one would ask the question. It is so personal.
 flman2015
Msg: 128
Posted: 6/4/2016 9:17:01 PM

Somewhere along the line this thread derailed into one of those "what's your number" threads. Funny how many threads derail into something else.

I would still like to know why anyone would ask it. A valid reason, even a semi valid reason.

I've never asked and never needed to ask to have a fairly good estimate. For those who cannot figure it out, there is a very good reason to ask.

The reason some men would ask and others, like me, would simply figure it out, is because we like to know what sex means to the woman we are dating. Is sex an activity that reflects demonstrating emotion or simply the meangingless fullfilment of physical pleasure ? There is a big difference between those two and that difference exposes many characteristics of an individual, characteristics that a man should most definitely take into account when choosing a partner.

You wanted a good reason, now you got it.
 KatieKat260
Msg: 129
Posted: 6/4/2016 10:57:15 PM

The reason some men would ask and others, like me, would simply figure it out, is because we like to know what sex means to the woman we are dating. Is sex an activity that reflects demonstrating emotion or simply the meangingless fullfilment of physical pleasure ? There is a big difference between those two and that difference exposes many characteristics of an individual, characteristics that a man should most definitely take into account when choosing a partner.

Okay, I'll bite - so my answer is 6....what does that tell you? How about if my answer is 10, what does that tell you? How about 15, what does that tell you? It tells you SFA. And is 10 okay if you're 50 but not good if you're 50? What if you slept with 20 by the time you were 25 then married and only slept with your husband for 20 years? This whole thing is stupid.

I said right from the get go, find who fits you. A guy who asks, would not be a fit for me. And by all means, let him ask (it's his prerogative) and I will form my own opinion of him. And you already know what that is. He can ask, I won't answer, we both move on. Quite simple really. No one has given a valid answer as to why someone would ask in the first place, IMO. And my opinion of the character, or lack there of, of a man who would ask is...my opinion.

A more valid question of someone over 50 would be - do you still enjoy sex? are you still capable of sex? how often would you like sex? You see, I'm more interested in what WE can do together as opposed to who you did prior.
 LittleDreamGirl
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Do most men consider women who are on pof to be damaged goods?
Posted: 6/4/2016 11:45:31 PM
This conversation is reminding of an experience I had a number of years ago with a guy I was seeing. I was 30 at the time and he was 24 and had not had many partners and had told me so. Maybe he felt insecure that I was more experienced than him, and at one point he asked me how many partners I had had. I told him it was none of his business and that I hadn't had that many and the ones that I had had were all boyfriends (which was all true). I was not the type to sleep around Anyway, he kept badgering me to tell him until I finally gave in and told him the truth - 8. He immediately responded with "guess you won't be having a white wedding." He thought he was being funny but I found his comment highly offensive. That was the beginning of the end for me. I dumped him about a month later.
 flman2015
Msg: 131
Posted: 6/5/2016 7:18:01 AM
KatieKat260

In that rather defensive, not to mention evasive, post of yours, you forgot to answer the question which is:

Is sex an activity that reflects demonstrating emotion or simply the meangingless fullfilment of physical pleasure ? There is a big difference between those two and that difference exposes many characteristics of an individual, characteristics that a man should most definitely take into account when choosing a partner.

Are you going to pretend that a man should not take into consideration what sex means to a woman who he is considering as a potential partner ? Should a man take that into consideration or not ?... what's your answer ?.... a simple non-defensive and evasive "yes" or "no" on your part would be nice.

LittleDreamGirl

the ones that I had had were all boyfriends

That should have been good enough.
 gtomustang
Msg: 132
Topic as well. very unusual here
Posted: 6/5/2016 8:00:35 AM
"I said right from the get go, find who fits you. A guy who asks, would not be a fit for me. And by all means, let him ask (it's his prerogative) and I will form my own opinion of him"

>>>and that, obviously, is the valid reason. I mean, when in the relationship do you wish to know you aren't compatable?

It is too bad the number is attached to a label. There are other ways to suss out if someone sees sex in a way you do not. to answer your question, LiR, people have sex for a multitude of reasons, and can change their mind about those reasons from partner to partner. I've personally known insecure people who conducted themselves insecurely in a variety of ways.
 KatieKat260
Msg: 133
Posted: 6/5/2016 8:17:05 AM

"Is sex an activity that reflects demonstrating emotion or simply meaningless fulfillment of physical pleasure.?"

Hmm. Right off the bat I'd think that was more a female concern as opposed to male, I could be wrong, but it my first thought. And it's just a thought, not backed up by stats or figures for you anal ones.

Hmm. At 55 plus this is a concern?

As an adult, I'm sure the vast majority of us realize that, at times, sex is just sex. Sometimes "meaningless fulfilment " can be mastrubation or a one or two night stand with another adult seeking companionship, sex and the warmth of another human being. Two adults, legal, who cares.

As an adult, I'm sure the vast majority of us have had a couple dates, had sex, maybe saw the person one or two times more and ended it. Some of us have come through a marriage or death of a partner and were like a kid in a candy store with sex and then settled right down. Some have had 3 sexual partners and all three abused them in some manner. We all have a story.

Every man I had sex with since I've been widowed I have enjoyed, and each shared a portion of my journey. I won't cheapen it by discussing it or be judged by it from some man in his 50s or 60s that, IMO, is too friggin juvenile to be worthy of my time. To ask, is to judge. That's the bottom line, you will ask, I will answer and you will JUDGE. I won't be judged by a fool.

I've never been asked - "what does see MEAN to you? I would not even think to ask it.

"Should a man take into consideration what sex means to a woman....."

Answer - yes, if he's intelligent about it. No if he's just going to ask "how many have you slept with"

And - even asking would be a red flag for me and many. But go ahead and ask, it thins the herd.

And yes Drinks , "Some of you people are sure messed up". There are many on here and if you consider ME messed up, yourself and a few others are really fvcked up. I meet men in real life and they are not like many on here, thank goodness.
 StumbledN
Msg: 134
Posted: 6/5/2016 10:37:44 AM

To ask, is to judge

Maybe.... maybe not.
Depends on who's asking, and when, and why. Granted, some of the examples given in Msg#124 were judgmental. They were valid, maybe to the person asking, but still judgmental. Except the example of STD risk, which was not emphasized enough imho. If someone walks into a bank and asks for a loan, I don't see how they could be offended by the bank's questions regarding their financial health and and pay back ability. After all, they're being asked to put the bank's money at risk. And granted, a question about a number of past partners is not a very reliable indicator of std risk, but it's better than no question at all. And if sex looks like a possibility, then I think both partners are justified in asking and getting an honest answer.
Having said that, a much better question would be "How long after your last sexual encounter did you have an STD panel and what were the results?" Would that be less offensive? Maybe not. But if it were asked more often and answered honestly, there would be a lot fewer std infections passed around. And it beats the hell out of the usual assessment method which is, what a great person they are. Now THAT's judgmental. And STD infections don't give a rat's ass about that.
 KatieKat260
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/5/2016 11:41:32 AM
^^^^My prerogative , a coin a term used here more than once. My opinion. My OPINION.

Ask away, ask whoever you want to ask. OR, don't ask. I don't care. But if you ask ME...I will deal with it my way. I'm allowed to do that.

The STD report is the only thing I would provide or request and I can do that without asking "how many have you had sex with". Be t other than that, I can't for the life of me understand why an ADULT would ask that question, especially someone over 40 or 50.

And yes, I freely judge an "asker" as an idiot. I don't want an idiot in my life. My life. We are judged everyday , it's not a foreign concept. Shame is big business, just talk to the Jesus freaks. And the lad thing I am is afraid of being judged on my sex life, especially by a fool.

Some of you are "right" argue folks... You just want to be told you're right. I can't do that.

You do what works for YOU.
 flman2015
Msg: 136
Posted: 6/5/2016 2:13:38 PM

KatieKat260

A more valid question of someone over 50 would be - do you still enjoy sex? are you still capable of sex? how often would you like sex?

I forgot to answer these in my previous post. I'll focus on one of the questions you seem interested in, that is, "are you still capable of sex".... if a woman asked me that, I'd initially be amused then, I'd be a little disappointed that she asked the question instead of using more creative ways of finding out.... finally, depending on my mood and the woman asking, I might advise her with a smile, not to take my word for it :-)

The point of the above is, I agree with you that, a man should also use more subtle ways to figure out what sex means to a woman he is dating than prosaically asking "what's your number".... I really think that is a bit lame but, at the same time, I have to admit it offers precision which cannot be obtained any other way, not that that much precision makes a difference. A reasonable ballpark estimate suffices... ;-)

"Should a man take into consideration what sex means to a woman....."

Answer - yes, if he's intelligent about it.

Since that is directly related to the number of partners the woman has had, with that statement, you have acknowledged that there is at least one good reason for a man to concern himself with her "number" (or estimate, for those who figure it out instead of asking.)

It isn't the actual estimate or number that matters, it's what is or isn't, implied by the estimate or number that matters.

I can't for the life of me understand why an ADULT would ask that question,

Because the man wants to know what sex means to the woman. You acknowledged that is something a man should take into consideration therefore, it is quite easy to understand.
 KatieKat260
Msg: 137
Posted: 6/5/2016 3:15:06 PM
Um, IF you want to know what sex means to a woman...ask her. But I guarantee the answer shouldn't be a number, any number. I would answer that question - what does sex MEAN to you...yup, I'd answer .
 Ouija2025
Msg: 138
Posted: 6/5/2016 3:23:53 PM
I agree.. the number of partners doubtful it has bearing on what sex means to the Woman NOW.
Is clumsy teen sex compared to a 3 month coupling?
Do you get bonus points if you had idk, sex 200 times in 10 years, but then nothing for 2 years?
Odd Q, what does sex mean to a woman
 flman2015
Msg: 139
Posted: 6/5/2016 4:06:30 PM

IF you want to know what sex means to a woman...ask her.

No. One of the reasons a man shouldn't ask a woman for her "number" is because actions speak louder than words.

But I guarantee the answer shouldn't be a number, any number.

There is no doubt in my mind the answer wouldn't be a number. The answer will most likely be what she thinks the man wants to hear, which could be very far from reality. Behavior speaks louder than words too.

Nothing odd about the question. Is sex an activity that reflects demonstrating emotion or simply the meangingless fullfilment of physical pleasure ? big difference between the two and, the number of partners a woman has had is a good indicator of whether it's one or the other. I think that is fairly obvious.
 south_city
Msg: 140
Posted: 6/5/2016 4:14:49 PM
I never asked a woman about the amount of previous sex partners. Chances are a person ( man or woman ) won't give you a honest answer.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 141
Posted: 6/5/2016 4:30:58 PM
Take this into consideration.

My mother never dated in high school. She met my father, after graduation, from work.
They dated a few months, had sex and she became pregnant. They married and 7 months later I was born. They were married for 38 years before my mother had the courage to leave. She never dated again, or had sex.

DURING, this marriage my mother became ill, was seen by a Dr in an emergency room.
She was diagnosed and treated for an STD.
The Dr asked her, "How many sexual partners have you had?"

I have never ever forgotten my mom's reaction. She was humiliated, and embarrassed. She was also livid!

?The answer? ONE, That's it, ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONE man, her husband, my father.That's it.
It only takes one person, to have sex one time, to become infected with an STD.

What did sex mean to my mother? It is what you do, when married, with your husband.

What did sex mean to my father? ? ? ? ? ?
 KatieKat260
Msg: 142
Posted: 6/5/2016 4:42:47 PM

IF you want to know what sex means to a woman...ask her.

No. One of the reasons a man shouldn't ask a woman for her "number" is because actions speak louder than words.

What actions? If she says "not enuff" (I love that answer) Or if she says 8 or 87 and anything in between those numbers?

There is no doubt in my mind the answer wouldn't be a number. The answer will most likely be what she thinks the man wants to hear, which could be very far from reality. Behavior speaks louder than words too.

Of course the answer would be anything from NOYFB to a full blown lie to the truth. And it may be anything from what she wants to hear to what HE wants to hear and how he compartmentalizes it - 8 is fine, 12 is a whore ....or whatever his magic number is.

Nothing odd about the question. Is sex an activity that reflects demonstrating emotion or simply the meangingless fullfilment of physical pleasure ? big difference between the two and, the number of partners a woman has had is a good indicator of whether it's one or the other. I think that is fairly obvious.

Again, what is wrong with the odd meaningless fulfilment? You make it sound like a bad thing. Not every sexual encounter involve a commitment or a ring or marriage. Sometimes sex is just sex. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that, we ar adults and again, IMO, I think those that don't agree that "sometimes sex is just sex" ar slightly repress or like to slut shame. I'm far too old to be slut shamed, as are the majority of people,responding in this thread.

And yes, there is a difference between "demonstrating emotion" and "meaningless fulfilment". One is not "better" Han than the other, each may fit into your life at different stages and be the best thing, at that time.

As for your question earlier about being "capable" of sex. There have been more than a few posts on here about men who weren't capable and had no intention of seeking medical help or the little blue pill or wouldn't make any lifestyle changes to get in better shape...I'm not interested in a man like this, I think this type of man is a selfish man. The same app,oes to a woman that no longer has any interest in sex. This does not mean that if I was in a long term relationship or married again and something happened to my spouse and he became incapable of having sex that I would run out and find a new man...that's not me. If I love you and I'm committed , I'm there til death...just life I did before.

So yup, I want to know if you still enjoy it and are capable of it. I told one date "I like sex, Inalwaysnhave and I still want sex a few times a week and if you're a Saturday night only guy and once a month, we won't jive". He laughed and said - fair enough. Two people have to be on the same page. And being on the same page does not involve a number, IMO. I couldn't give a damn how many women he's had sex with, I want a clean bill of health, a good attitude, maturity and respect and eyes on the future.
 gtomustang
Msg: 143
Posted: 6/5/2016 4:42:47 PM
you're going to rip into me, Red, but someone's got to play the Devil's Advocate....if your mum thought sex was a duty, it doesn't justify the breaking of the vows, but perhaps your father saw it as more than a duty, and found a like mind somewhere. Its too bad he didn't take more care, but, there you have it. relationships are complicated.
 flman2015
Msg: 144
Posted: 6/5/2016 6:27:02 PM

Ladyinred0407

What did sex mean to my mother? It is what you do, when married, with your husband.

What did sex mean to my father? ? ? ? ? ?

It obviously didn't mean the same as it meant to your mother. My heart goes out to your mom, she deserved better.

If the situation had been reversed then, my heart would go out to your dad as it should.

That is the point, someone who has had a large number of partners demonstrates that sex isn't anything special that is given to someone they care for.

Should a man be interested in making that determination ?, the answer is a resounding _yes_. Should a woman be interested in making that determination ? the answer is again a resounding _yes_.

KatieKat260

Again, what is wrong with the odd meaningless fulfilment?

I didn't say there was something wrong with the odd meaningless fulfillment. The _odd_ meaningless fulfillment doesn't increase a woman's number significantly if it really is odd. _Odd_ meaningless fulfillment is quite a bit different than often meaningless fulfillment which is clear evidence that sex does _not_ represent the emotion(s) felt towards a person.

The above should be rather obvious. There is a big difference between the two and a man who looks out for himself definitely wants to figure out which one of those two he is dealing with. For the record, I strongly believe, a woman should do the same.

One is not "better" Han than the other, each may fit into your life at different stages and be the best thing, at that time.

One is not "better" than the other ??? ... I couldn't disagree anymore and the reasons for that should also be obvious.

So yup, I want to know if you still enjoy it and are capable of it.

I suggest you determine that without asking any questions... it's a lot more fun that way. :-)

I still want sex a few times a week and if you're a Saturday night only guy and once a month, ...

Sexual drive does vary among individuals. I've never asked about that either. Usually I can "feel" it reasonably well. That said, I do _not_ consider a high sex drive a valid reason to often, or more frequently than "odd", engage in meaningless sex.

I couldn't give a damn how many women he's had sex with

You should give a damn as you put it but, if you haven't figured out why, don't ask because that is a question I _expect_ people to figure out the answer to by themselves.
 KatieKat260
Msg: 145
Posted: 6/5/2016 7:04:06 PM

I suggest you determine that without asking any questions. It's more fun that way.:-)

True. But if I'm seeing someone and we are taking it slow and learning about each other and doing the dating thing, multiple dates and I'm beginning to feel like he's my "one and only" and after a couple months we decide to have sex and he can't ...and he won't....and he is not capable....I've spent time, energy, money and had an emotional investment in....nothing, because I'm not spending the rest of my life like this so I'm doing the "so long Charlie, hanks for wasting my time."

It would have been far easier to ask on the second or third date "do you enjoy sex and are you cable of enjoying sex?. And yes, he could lie just like your cupcake could when asked "how many men?"

High sex drive has no real bearing on this. I (or you) for example, may have a high sex drive when I'm involved in a relationship but I'm not chasing every Tom's d!ck when I'm not in a relationship. I have control of myself, I'm not an animal.

And no, I don't care how many women he's had sex with. I would hope he's had a healthy sex life whether single, married, in a relationship or in and out of relationships. The number means nothing. Whether he is clean STD wise is hugely important. That he enjoys sex and respects himself and his sexual partner means something. Whether he's had 8 or 35 means nothing. Even the old "once a cheater, always a cheater" is not necessarily a true indicator. I've seen more damaged people who have been cheated on than the opposite....some cheaters may never cheat again where a person cheated on may blame the opposite sex for ever and never heal. All of this is so dependant on the person.

Ask what you want to ask but don't expect it to be answered truthfully or at all..or maybe truthfully. Even if answered truthfully...how would you know?

Can you honestly say that every time you had sex with a woman it was an emotional involvement, you were hoping for a relationship and it was deep, meaningful, soulful and it was never, ever just a casual romp in the hay between two consenting adults?

"not enuff"
 Ouija2025
Msg: 146
Posted: 6/5/2016 7:26:27 PM
I see. Women should only have sex because of the emotional connection.
Uhhuh
And if she has a scratch to itch, beans to grind, etc
well then the act is hmm, lessened in some eyes
Maybe the people who care so much about the number are low single digits themselves.. hence the scorn
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2016 7:40:32 PM

I think the point trying to be made is WHY one would ask the question. It is so personal.

Sex, and relationships, are personal. Therefore...personal. Except for those who are often impersonal about it, and assume that most other people are like that.

I can't for the life of me understand why an ADULT would ask that question,
Because the man wants to know what sex means to the woman.

See? Simple. Now you can imagine...for the life of you.

IF you want to know what sex means to a woman...ask her. But I guarantee the answer shouldn't be a number

The trick is that you can't trust people you just met. And especially on these kinds of topics. As is often demonstrated in here, and even in this conversation. Often in life...and many people do this in other areas whether they realize it or not...you don't just take someone's immediate answer to a straightforward question. Instead, you have to sort of test what they're telling you, see if you trip them up, etc. Otherwise you're begging someone to just tell you what they think you want to hear, are being shallow and player-bait. Games and more games. Players and bullshit. Like most in here as evidenced by their opinions in this thread.

To ask a number-oriented question is not to just ask for a number, and it's not to judge anything based only on that number. Instead, it's only a small part of having a conversation on that topic. Asking the question is only the beginning, not the end, of a process. And people who're afraid to even begin that conversation and act like it's too personal when intimacy is the potential...should be avoided. They're either hiding something, know that you'll catch them lying, are really stupid on how to go about this...or it's because they're casual-minded and irresponsible and don't want anything with you in which it would even matter - and in such a case they'll even still try to manipulate you instead of walk away by making you feel like you're doing something wrong by initiating the kind of conversation which would reveal their true intentions. If none of that is true about you...then that would fall under the aforementioned part about you just being stupid and careless.

Also...if you're anyone with any sense, and with intentions even close to the other person's...even if you could be completely trusted, you'd understand this and go through the process, instead of act bewildered and offended.

I agree.. the number of partners doubtful it has bearing on what sex means to the Woman NOW.
Is clumsy teen sex compared to a 3 month coupling?
Do you get bonus points if you had idk, sex 200 times in 10 years, but then nothing for 2 years?

As was explained above, it's not just about what sex means to a woman; it's not just about the number; and it's not about using shallow "judging" methods. To assume someone is approaching it this way intellectually, is itself shallow and suspicious.

I still want sex a few times a week and if you're a Saturday night only guy and once a month

And I wonder if you'd lie to any of these guys to get this. Hence, he should ask some questions of you. You obviously can't be trusted. If you'd now claim that you'd be honest with a guy on such an occasion, I'd point out the untrustworthiness implied by how someone participates in this conversation.

I couldn't give a damn how many women he's had sex with

Which is exactly why a guy might want to know who you really are. If you don't give a damn about such a thing, then you are dangerous and stupid.

I see. Women should only have sex because of the emotional connection

No. Not true. But men and women should be honest about it. ^ Just another dishonest manipulative response.

And if she has a scratch to itch, beans to grind, etc
well then the act is hmm, lessened in some eyes

No. It's lessened when he/she is dishonest about it. And there's another dishonest manipulative response.

Maybe the people who care so much about the number are low single digits themselves.. hence the scorn

No. Myself...I care about honesty. And non-stupidity. That's when you get scorn - dishonesty, etc. And there's yet another dishonest manipulative response...these are what indicate the strong possibility that you'd be dishonest, manipulative, and untrustworthy in your other interactions with other people. If not, it just means that you're just too stupid to get in bed with or into a relationship with, because you don't even understand this and don't respect it's importance. Are way too naive. Which is just as dangerous.
 KatieKat260
Msg: 148
Posted: 6/5/2016 8:08:19 PM
Well. That works out perfect. You think I'm stupid and I think you're stupid. It's a draw. You manage your life how you see fit and I'll manage mine the way I see fit.

You know, I was one of those that married at 21 and stayed married until death 31 years later. And I wasn't a virgin and neither was he. What I know for sure is that it takes time to truly know someone, to love deeply, and that things change over time as you experience life, you have children, you learn, you grow, your needs change, you adapt, you compromise and 31 years later when someone is cold and dead on a table...never friggin once did I ask "how many women did you sleep with" and he never asked that question of me. So yes numbers mean SFA in the big picture, IMO. And the next man I share life with will be like the one I loved before, will be like the men I have met since and he won't be, IMO, a stupid idiot. And I'm being more than honest.

What's you experience Drink? What did you find out in that 25 or 30 year relationship you had? What was your experience? IMO, there s a reason why someone would ask that question....they are damaged.
 raisedagain
Msg: 149
Posted: 6/5/2016 8:40:17 PM
Lol. There is a guy on here judging others based on the number of their sexual partners? This guy doesn't understand the difference between making love and having sex? Only on Pof. Only pof.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 150
Posted: 6/6/2016 4:46:54 AM
Call it what you want
I think it is just another form of slut shaming.
And if you have to play games because you think people lie.. well that's not a lovely reflection is it?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do most men consider women who are on pof to be "damaged goods"?