Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Old Pictures      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LGL1975
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Old PicturesPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

People shoot themselves in the foot by doing this.

Most have heard of the TV show, Catfish, which is worse than old pics. (the premise)

Complete fake personas...60 something year old men pretending to be 40 something year old women, people in jail pretending to be walking around as a free person, bla bla bla

Meet organically. Who wants to meet a "daguerreotype" ???

lol
 Blonde_Fishie
Msg: 27
Old Pictures
Posted: 5/29/2016 7:35:32 PM

lol

I'm really an old man in a wheelchair, but I have a skilled hand w/cosmetics...(not)
 SrqDJ
Msg: 28
Old Pictures
Posted: 5/30/2016 7:47:16 AM
Well this is an over 45 forum so wouldn't even the most recent photos be "OLD" to some bahahaa

In my experience some that have posted photos from many years ago, some how are convinced that still look similar or "close enough" to their photos. They don't deem themselves to be fraudulant or dishonest-they truly believe their looks haven't changed.

Some people deal with reality of life much better than others.

As far as not being "catfished" as was previously mentioned, with today's technology you can take a quick photo or two and send it before a face-to-face meeting or use another app to video chat if you are truly worried about the person's exterior before you meet them.

I personally don't put a lot of stock in photos because some photograph better than others and other people in real life are far more attractive than any of their photos (recent or not) indicate.

FullMoon Guy wrote:

I can be proud of who I am and confident in myself without trying to satisfy the idle curiosity of a bunch of strangers on the Internet.

Their idle curiosity does not trump my privacy.

I'm curious if others who share this philosphy about positing photos on dating sites, also do not post photos on other social networking sites or if in business, do they not use photos of themselves on a company website.

I do agree though with him that no one is a better human being just because the post or don't post photos.
 ebolakitty
Msg: 29
Old Pictures
Posted: 5/30/2016 9:30:14 AM

I'm curious if others who share this philosphy about positing photos on dating sites, also do not post photos on other social networking sites or if in business, do they not use photos of themselves on a company website.

I don't have a picture out of any particular philosophy. My lack of a picture came about as a sort of long running experiment. I used to live out West and had a killer picture that really showed off my best traits. Then I moved to the Midwest and started a new profile. I didn't have a recent picture so rather than upload the old one, I decided to wait until I got at least a reasonable bathroom selfie before I uploaded anything. A few days went by and quite a few women emailed me even without a pic. Truth be told, I was getting better results with nothing than with the pic I was so proud of. I thought to myself, "Well, gee. I'll leave it alone and see what happens."

Now to be fair there is probably a lot more going on here than I know of. For Instance, this is a small town and I might the the first fresh face in decades, even though I don't provide a face. I am likely the only self proclaimed Marxist within a 1000 miles. A leftie woman has no other choice but me. And so forth. Still, I don't have a picture because it works for me and not because of some philosophy.
 Blonde_Fishie
Msg: 30
Old Pictures
Posted: 5/30/2016 12:18:57 PM

As far as not being "catfished" as was previously mentioned, with today's technology you can take a quick photo or two and send it before a face-to-face meeting

they can still send a fake pic...if they r a Cat Fish :0(

or use another app to video chat if you are truly worried about the person's exterior before you meet them.
Skype or Face time- at least you would have an idea of who you were communicating with

I do agree though with him that no one is a better human being just because the post or don't post photos.
You are correct; however, this is a dating site, not a humanitarian site.
 2ufo
Msg: 31
Old Pictures
Posted: 5/30/2016 2:24:47 PM

I don't have a photo because I'm supremely lazy.
I'm also horribly busy with life - there's a lot of things going on in my life at the moment.
When I do bother getting a photo (because I'm reaching out to someone I want to date) it/they will be private.
I don't have a photo for my Linked In account and my most recent Facebook photo is almost 10 years old. I suppose I should get something in case I die and the police need to identify me... oh wait. Actually my dental records are all recent. I'm fine.
 scorpioinOregon
Msg: 32
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/4/2016 9:41:56 PM
I met a guy yesterday and his pictures were 8 years old. He asked me if he looked like his picture, and I said no. That's when he told me it was 8 years old. He said when he looks in the mirror, he thinks he looks just like that picture.

He didn't- at all!
 MD_Orl
Msg: 33
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/6/2016 3:12:15 PM
I have an opinion on this and that is all it is, my opinion. It is probably a fairly strong one.

People can put any picture they want on their profile. If they are looking for an honest relationship wit me, they will not fare well. They have already dishonestly represented themselves and they are interested in deceiving others to get their way.

The serious person that wants me to accept them for what they are has already accepted themselves for what they are. They have no need to try and use pictures of themselves they way they "want" others to see them or worse, they see themselves. Beauty is skin deep, but integrity goes much deeper.

I want to see people as they are. I get glamor shots, but there better be some other shots. I just move son when it appears there is an "I" problem. I find it impossible to date someone 20 years ago, no matter how possible they think it is.

I usually think of the song "Glory Days".
 sugarpie100
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/7/2016 1:42:51 PM
I have old pictures on here ,but I like to change them to new ones . Ido not know how to fix this trouble. Thank you
 Ouija2025
Msg: 35
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/7/2016 1:47:33 PM
Sugarpie..
go to your profile Edit)
Last tab is upload images.. remove the ones you have now you don't want, and add then new ones, you can then mark them public or private
 Red_Fish_Blonde_Fish
Msg: 36
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/7/2016 5:24:44 PM
I think his old picture should date her old picture- it would be a relationship based on equality!
 hemingway234
Msg: 37
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/8/2016 11:19:23 AM
If they are posting old pictures that no longer look like them, they are only hurting themselves - they are the ones who will be rejected.

It's better to under-promise and over-deliver.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 38
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/8/2016 12:26:25 PM

If they are posting old pictures that no longer look like them, they are only hurting themselves - they are the ones who will be rejected.

If they post new pictures where they don't look good, won't they STILL be rejected, this time even before they ever get to a live meet?

I certainly do not condone old pictures that aren't even close to present appearance or fake pictures, because that IS deliberately deceptive, but I understand the motivation behind them.

So many people continue to be "obsessed" with photos.
 StumbledN
Msg: 39
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/8/2016 2:18:41 PM

I can see why some forums folks opt out of photos.

*Out* is the default. And we have to opt *in* to a photo(s).

I personally don't put a lot of stock in photos because some photograph better than others and other people in real life are far more attractive than any of their photos (recent or not) indicate.

I recall one of my early OLD experiences , I was waiting at the front entrance of the restaurant and watching a gorgeous chick coming up the walk. I fully expected her to walk past me and into the front door but she walked straight up to me and just said "Hi Rick". I was stunned. Apparently I looked like my photos but she looked NOTHING like hers. I didn't hold it against her though lol!

If they post new pictures where they don't look good, won't they STILL be rejected, this time even before they ever get to a live meet?

Been awhile since I've used this site for dating but, even when I was, I've always found I get a much better picture of someone by clicking their "History" button than looking at their picture. Or in many cases, even their profile.
 hemingway234
Msg: 40
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/8/2016 2:46:32 PM

- Yes, they will still get rejected from people they have never talked to - but it won't hurt as much as it will when they've exchanged a dozen love letters and met someone, and gotten invested.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/8/2016 9:42:17 PM
a couple of years is nothing. With some people even five years makes no difference. 10 years may be stretching it. If someone is actually going to turn up radically different to their pics then on their head be the disappointed reactions they get.
 SrqDJ
Msg: 42
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/9/2016 6:38:47 AM

I recall one of my early OLD experiences , I was waiting at the front entrance of the restaurant and watching a gorgeous chick coming up the walk. I fully expected her to walk past me and into the front door but she walked straight up to me and just said "Hi Rick". I was stunned. Apparently I looked like my photos but she looked NOTHING like hers. I didn't hold it against her though lol!

You didn't hold it against her because your perception was she was "gorgeous"; but if you didn't think she was would you have been upset because you didn't think she looked like her photos?

I've read more profiles that state: If you don't look like your pics, you're buying drinks until you do. Whenever I read that in a man's profile, I avoid them or if they messaged me, I politely declined their interest shown.

IMO it always comes down to perception and opinion as to IF the person does or doesn't look like their photos. Obviously the older the photo the less likelyhood they will.

I have though found it amusing when I've met some who obviously used older photos of themselves which in my experience has been the majority and they will comment that I look like mine or better.... lol
 StumbledN
Msg: 43
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/9/2016 9:13:36 AM

You didn't hold it against her because your perception was she was "gorgeous";

Oh good grief no. I'm just one of those people who is lousy at joke telling. Maybe a "lol" or a smiley icon would have helped.

but if you didn't think she was would you have been upset because you didn't think she looked like her photos?

No, not at all. And that was my point. I was just agreeing with the other poster that some people just don't photograph very well. Some people look better *in* their photos, other people look better *than* their photos, and some people look nothing like their photos. I wouldn't be happy with someone who tried to flim flam me with a fake photo, but it's the flim flam part that would tick me off, not the photo.

I think of a photo as a means of ID for a meet & greet. If I can recognize the person in a crowd, then it served its purpose no matter if it makes them look good or bad.
 SrqDJ
Msg: 44
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/9/2016 9:53:17 AM
StumbledN I was the poster who you quoted lol

I asked the question I did because of what I've seen posted on so many profiles about IF the person doesn't look like their photos they are buying the drinks.

I agree that anyone using old photos or fake photos as a means to "lure" someone in to meet them isn't honest and of course they should expect that the person meeting them might not be too happy to find out they were deceptive and used "old bait" or fake bait.

I've lost track of how many I'd met in the past who have done this....some truly were being deceptive others were just convinced in their own minds they still looked the same-you can't fix liars or delusional people....you can only decide if you want to get to know them or politely end the interaction with them.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 45
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/9/2016 9:24:49 PM
I think it says much about a person's acceptance of the aging process-if they are constantly trying to reassure themselves that they still got it--how boring!!!!

I have found that most who do that are in fact having issues with their age and also have a tendency to protray themselves in better light in other ways--say they have more education or claim to be a non-smoker cause they only smoke when they are drinking (which they say only socially but count posting on facebook as being social so they are always drinking and smoking!)

Why spend time and energy trying to figure out what is or isnt real?

I think spending time in positive endeavors is so much more rewarding than wasting time chasing ghost who don't really exist cause the person they protray isnt them!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/11/2016 5:44:47 PM
The 70 year old mentioned may be on the way to dementia or is the male equivalent of a meet someone had recently where the mother turned up instead of the daughter. She had used her pics to get guy to meet her. The guy in question kept looking around for the younger woman and only when she waved at him and called out that he realised what had happened. What is with these people lol!
 venndiagram3
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/11/2016 9:14:37 PM
Walts!!! Love the new pic!
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/18/2016 7:19:45 AM
Oh my, you are so right. There are some men in my area (Central Tx) that have had the same default main pic for at least five years.
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/18/2016 7:59:56 AM
I don't really care as long as the pic accurately represents her type. Eyes and smiles don't change much over time. I can tell by the posted age what to expect, and at my age I don't expect a spring chicken anyway.

But I draw the line when I see the old POF watermark in their pics...
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 50
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/18/2016 10:28:46 AM
Those scanned polaroids are the worst.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Old Pictures