Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Old Pictures      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 irishgirl772
Msg: 51
Old PicturesPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Just as bad are the ones that post a picture of a picture. One guy that had those messaged me. I could tell by his feathered hair style that it was from the 90's. Ive also seen profiles where the member used his DL photo or work ID as his profile pic.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 52
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/18/2016 11:58:07 AM
All this picture business is mentally exhausting. I used to just make my headline say "I used to be younger". I'm pretty sure it put me at an advantage.
 IronHibiscus
Msg: 53
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/18/2016 12:40:56 PM
A lot on here use old photos. I used to meet people off here and lordy - half the time or more they were NOT recognizable. And I see some of the same photos from 8 years + ago or more still on here....SMH.....I do not get it but whatever......And old photos are just the START of the B.S. you will encounter on here.....
 ohenryx
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/20/2016 8:06:49 AM
I don’t find it as bad here as I do on Meetup. My Meetup group was out Saturday night, live music, dancing. 72 people were signed up, we probably had a good 50 show up. There were at least 10 to 15 women on the signup list that I had never met, so I studied their pictures beforehand and during the evening, trying to match names to faces, talk to all of the new members.

I swear to god, some of those pictures were at least 20 years old. Amazing.
 hemingway234
Msg: 55
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/21/2016 7:33:34 AM
My picture is current, as far as you know!
 aintnodeal
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 6/29/2016 10:36:33 PM
The photos themselves are not the problem. I used to do personal ads for dates before the Internet. Fully 1/3 of women I met had boldfaced LIED to me over the phone. I'm sure these same types post old photos, false photos, and the blurry cell phone pics that no one in their right mind would upload.

What gets me is when there are 3 or more pics, and the person looks a different age in each. Hmm...take the worst and add 5++ years to it, I guess. I don't want to play roulette with looks.
 LuvFishes
Msg: 57
Old Pictures
Posted: 7/6/2016 8:40:07 PM
Yes they know. Sometimes it means nothing because the chemistry, interest and dating is there. Other times, it can be the beginning of RED Flags that just aren't' worth perusing
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 7/7/2016 9:24:46 AM

...we had a meeting...

He got the "meet".
That's #1.
Nothing can happen until he gets the "meet".
So whatever it takes to get the "meet" is what they do.

This was Message #2, and it answers everything.

When was the last time the burger you got in the drive thru looked anything like the picture on the menu? But you ordered one, anyway.

Online dating is personals ADVERTISING. What that means is that people are 'selling' a product, an image, a notion of what they COULD be. It doesn't mean it's remotely true. Advertising sells the potential of a product in the best, most attractive way possible. All it needs to be is recognizable.

Some people in here look amazingly attractive because they use their modeling pics for their profile. Modeling is about as phony as it gets. The lighting is controlled, the environment, the clothing, makeup, physical attributes - every single detail is hyper-examined and airbrushed and photoshopped to some superior level of 'perfection'. Are any of those images actually true to life? Hell, NO - but because the person is recognizable in the image, they get to use it! Big deal if the pic was taken last week - or last decade - if they get a meetup or date or at least get some communication going - it's done it's job.

What people need to do is FOLLOW UP on the promise laid forth. That's everyone's responsibility. Assuming what's advertised is what is sold - is only done by idiots. You either find out what the product truly looks like, or just assume that what you will get in the drive-thru won't be as pretty as advertised. Send a picture message. Skype or video chat. Prove YOU are who YOU claim to be, and don't just whine about what didn't happen.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 7/7/2016 7:46:08 PM

Some people in here look amazingly attractive because they use their modeling pics for their profile. Modeling is about as phony as it gets. The lighting is controlled, the environment, the clothing, makeup, physical attributes - every single detail is hyper-examined and airbrushed and photoshopped to some superior level of 'perfection'.

Precisely why I don't like Glamour pics - no one will every look like their glamour pics again, because they never looked that way.
The same is moreorless true for any studio pics even with minimal retouching - the lighting alone changes what's visible.

This is NOT NEW to the age of the Internet. Ads from pre-WWII used pin-up paintings that were unrealistically proportioned.
That wasn't new either. When the noblemen of olde were looking for brides, they would recieve a painting from whatever kingdom the bride lived in. You can bet the portrait was thoroughly embellished to get a $proposal$. Do you think all those historic figures really looked like those paintings? Really, now!!!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 60
Old Pictures
Posted: 7/8/2016 10:26:10 AM
I think pictures should look like the person, but I also think
people look different in real life...as in sometimes they're wearing
a hat or a helmet, girls wear their hair up or down...sometimes
change color.

Pictures are just bait. People want you to stop and look at them,
so they put up what they consider to be a good picture.
I mean, I don't wear flowers in my hair everyday, and I'm pretty
sure you don't wear a bike helmet everyday either.

I look different in the day, at night, certainly in a restaurant where
the lights are dim or outside on a summer day.

Who cares what people use for their bait? If you don't like it, don't
look and if you liked it and then didn't when you met them, don't
meet them again.

I do see a difference between posting pictures that look NOTHING
like you or pictures that are years and years old...but what if someone
has a really nice picture that was taken at a wedding or other formal affair?

I mean realistically, I suppose everyone should just post a picture of themselves
just rolling out of bed.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 61
Old Pictures
Posted: 7/8/2016 12:00:28 PM
I'm gonna ask my neighbor to snap a pic of me walking to the mailbox, hungover and commando in my Walmart elasto shorts and humus stained T-shirt.

That or me taking a case of empty wine bottles to the recycle bin. That's more eco friendly.

If they can handle that, we're good.

There's got to be a morning after
If we can hold on through the night
We have a chance to find the sunshine
Let's keep on looking for the light
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 7/8/2016 5:25:33 PM

That or me taking a case of empty wine bottles to the recycle bin. That's more eco friendly.

True, Dat. But if you need a wheelbarrow to get the bottles to the curb, it might NOT sell the right message...
 Taarnita
Msg: 63
Old Pictures
Posted: 8/7/2016 8:24:15 AM
Well you can't win for losing on this point anyway. My photos are all from 2016 except for one of me from Halloween 2015 - and I put dates on the photos. My age is accurate, my height and body type are accurate. Guys lie about these things all the time based on the "coffee interviews" I've been on and apparently so do women because the first thing a few guys I've met have said is "you look just like your photos and description!" Well DUH! No lies on my page - not a one - but I get tons of messages telling me that my photos must be older than stated - so right off I'm a liar? Then why contact me at all? Those ones get the "ignore" and "delete" treatment right off.

The ones that really kill me are the profiles with the photos that still have the POF logo stamped on them - POF stopped doing that in 2010 or 2011 apparently so that one is a dead giveaway.

The person that posted saying that people do what they need to do to get that first meeting is bang on...but really if you've lied about things on your profile and used 10 year old photos it's going to be pretty obvious on that first meeting you just got under false pretenses... so those folks had better have one heck of a awesome personality or it's going nowhere anyway and everyone wasted time.

We all know that physical attraction is important but guys should also know that women might find those crinkles around their eyes, the lines around their mouth and the grey in their hair really attractive - the beer belly - not so much. ;-)

Keep it real and keep it fun.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 64
Old Pictures
Posted: 8/10/2016 7:19:26 PM

The person that posted saying that people do what they need to do to get that first meeting is bang on...

Thank you for your support.

...but really if you've lied about things on your profile and used 10 year old photos it's going to be pretty obvious on that first meeting you just got under false pretenses... so those folks had better have one heck of a awesome personality or it's going nowhere anyway and everyone wasted time.

I do really enjoy those stories, though.
 goodtimelivn
Msg: 65
Old Pictures
Posted: 8/10/2016 9:53:34 PM
Most of the women's profiles Ive seen have older pics and a lot of those older pics are their profile pics. Younger, skinnier, etc. I think people just want to put their best foot forward? I get it and I dont think theres anything wrong with that. You can always ask a person whats their most current pic.
 Cdan1957
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 8/12/2016 7:15:19 AM
^^^^^ I agree, I understand that they are trying to throw their best picture out there, sometimes they set the profile up a few years back and never bothered to update their pictures. A first meeting will pretty much uncover the truth. I was always more concerned with how a person viewed themselves. A person that is fat but described themselves as "athletic" was someone I would avoid. I can handle self-conscious but not delusional.
 DawnLuvs2Dance
Msg: 67
Old Pictures
Posted: 8/12/2016 8:14:33 PM
My pictures are current. Heck the main one was taken July 24th and for the heck of it I even put up one of me in a wetsuit which was taken July 16th. My pictures reflect me and my lifestyle. Not all will appreciate the pics but I post those that hopefully attract someone with similar interests. As time goes by I often remove/replace a photo that is getting a little outdated.

When looking at a profile, I look not only at the person but what he is doing, where the photo was taken. If your pictures reflect the local scenery then it makes sense you probably do live nearby. Hiding behind sunglasses or no closeups doesn't give me a sense of who I am possibly meeting.
 ohenryx
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/6/2017 7:08:54 AM
Okay, I’m resurrecting an older thread. I am under a partial ban, and cannot start a new thread, and as we all know, such bans are now permanent, what with no mods anymore.

I just posted 2 new pictures, both from NYE about a week ago. The second picture shows me dancing with a woman. And that’s what I wanted to talk about here, solicit opinions.

I know the conventional wisdom is, “Never show a member of the opposite sex in any of your profile pictures.” But there is also a lot of advice out there to “show yourself doing activities you enjoy”. And I enjoy dancing, one of life’s great treasures.

So what say you, fellow forumites? Yay or Nay on the picture of me dancing with the woman?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 70
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/6/2017 7:28:24 AM
Why don't you have dancing as a lead in the Interests?
Flash washed you out on a small picture, plus now two same time.. I'd keep it but move it to the back of the line up of photos.
 Cdan1957
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/6/2017 9:07:27 AM
Keep it! I think you look better in it than most of the others. I dont think you even have to explain the relationship. I have always believed that women seeing you with other women increases your chances. I have been hit on 10x more often when I was with someone.
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/6/2017 9:19:44 AM
Keep the new pictures! They show you enjoying life and your dancing interest.
 PlutoLover68
Msg: 73
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/6/2017 11:04:10 AM
I say leave it. Its a good photo of you, you're doing something you enjoy and it does not show her face.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 74
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/6/2017 11:37:13 AM
I say keep the pictures.
They're really nice, Henry, and you look great!
 Walts
Msg: 75
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/6/2017 3:57:02 PM
I'm not putting any more pics of myself up anymore, cause, well,
I'm old...........

But, after being a little under the weather for the last couple of weeks, I said phuck it, pulled on the waders and spent 5 hours standing in a very chilly weather, tossing feathers at the finned creatures.

I feel like a million bucks.

A spent million bucks but, none the less, the camera has finally broke.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Old Pictures