Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Old Pictures      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Old PicturesPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
oooj I want that mirror too!!The magic one people have.

Have gone the "bondo route" and even wear makeup to the gym now,
Its a shame some people( like myself) lose the face- fat just to maintain the body, but I figure that's my choice and I am sticking to it.
That's what they make big sunglasses for.

I like a variety of pics, but not to old unless you can't really see the face to close and people haven't gained or lost a lot of weight, started hunching over etc.

The pics of skiing, biking, hiking and the like, then they show up limping with a cane are the worst wtf ....really?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 4:20:46 AM
Funny, that old pic with my dog as a main hasn't stopped any bombardment of mail I receive (when its a visible profile) as one can look and see I have current ones updated.
 montgomery1960
Msg: 78
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 9:04:29 AM
Quite true.

In my profile I ask for a tasteful and recent full body profile picture. I am not seeking to meet Mama Cass or Jaba the Hutt.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 79
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 11:13:37 AM
^ ^ ^ ^ Ahem.....Either I'm blind or..................nope, not there. Maybe I'm Mama Cass, oh wait a sec, isn't she dead?
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 11:28:00 AM

All this picture business is mentally exhausting. I used to just make my headline say "I used to be younger". I'm pretty sure it put me at an advantage.

I should put "I used to be thinner."

I wish I was as skinny as I was the first time I thought I was fat. 😆

I figure honesty is the best policy.
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 11:35:04 AM

That or me taking a case of empty wine bottles to the recycle bin. That's more eco friendly.

True, Dat. But if you need a wheelbarrow to get the bottles to the curb, it might NOT sell the right message...

Everyone knows you use a shopping cart obtained under questionable circumstances. Sheesh! Get with the times! 😆
 Ouija2025
Msg: 82
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 1:32:03 PM
Sza - haven't seen you in a year LOL welcome back.
What is a tasteful full body shot Monty? Errrr. Jaba was a male wasn't he?
Mama Cass? Hmmm.
Red is right
 aintnodeal
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 2:30:57 PM

I checked and really didn't find any thread less than a couple of years old on this.

So ... you actually believe people have changed so drastically in 2 years that a new thread is warranted to discuss something that's been beaten to death?

Back when nobles across Europe used to trade their daughters for marriage, they'd commission a portrait to send to the single-but-required-to-look-and-settle-down Nobel fellow. It was art for the purpose of getting a "YES", so of course, the portraits left out a lot of defects, spruced up the hair and clothes, and didn't add the cracks in the windows, the rats in the room, etc.

Hundreds of years later - nothing has changed. So WHAT is it that you expected to hear that wasn't in those posts 2 years ago...?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 84
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 5:04:53 PM
^^ you look Handsome???
We were not of noble blood.. my family used a cave drawing
I started out here with an etch o sketch
Only child so I learned early how to amuse myself.
I look diff than I did 2 years ago.. heck, I look diff than yesterday
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 6:46:42 PM
Hi Ouija,

I've been lurking.

It wouldn't be good for a guy to have moobs like Jabba.

As for Mama Cass, she would be pretty skinny now, skeletal even.

People just all want honest pictures so they aren't shocked when they meet a person.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 86
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/7/2017 11:46:16 PM

I just posted 2 new pictures, both from NYE about a week ago. The second picture shows me dancing with a woman. And that’s what I wanted to talk about here, solicit opinions.

Henry, I'd get rid of the new main picture if I were you----it's unflattering to your neck; it makes you look like ET.

The dancing picture is fine.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/8/2017 12:08:30 AM
quicktyper

lol!!!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/8/2017 6:56:51 AM
What I learned from long term participation on various chat/forum sites is that one eventually discovers what the participants actually look like. Early on, the pics are carefully selected to be flattering, often dated and completely unrepresentative of the person. Later, as personal confidence grows and the relationships with the fellow forumites grows, people start posting pictures that actually look like themselves. In the long run, what people look like becomes disconnected from their personality on line, and they stop posting pictures entirely. Its pretty much the same in real life. You don't really see what your friends and partners look like after a while, and you don't appear to really care about physical appearance.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 89
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/8/2017 9:37:21 AM

What I learned from long term participation on various chat/forum sites is that one eventually discovers what the participants actually look like. Early on, the pics are carefully selected to be flattering, often dated and completely unrepresentative of the person. Later, as personal confidence grows and the relationships with the fellow forumites grows, people start posting pictures that actually look like themselves. In the long run, what people look like becomes disconnected from their personality on line, and they stop posting pictures entirely. Its pretty much the same in real life. You don't really see what your friends and partners look like after a while, and you don't appear to really care about physical appearance.

You're implying that people who stop posting pictures of themselves are more self-confident than those who continue to post current pictures of themselves. I disagree. There are several different reasons why people might stop posting their pictures in the forums, which have nothing to do with their level of personal confidence. They may want to remain anonymous for other reasons.

Also, I disagree that after time, a person cares less about their physical appearance or the physical appearance of their partner/friends. This may be true for you personally, however, you can't speak for everyone.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/8/2017 2:14:35 PM
Well, I did not imply anything about what you stated. I certainly do not think that people come to care less about physical appearances with time. Whit I said was that people tend to pay less attention to the familiar than they do to the novel. It why people get traffic tickets when signage or configurations change on the roads they habitually use. This has to do with known and proven human behaviour, and has nothing to do with whether people care about things.

The caring issue is simply proven. You love your mate, they are scarred in a bad accident, you don't stop loving them (usually), and you stop thinking about their appearance and concentrate on how they make you feel.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 91
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/8/2017 4:44:23 PM

Well, I did not imply anything about what you stated. I certainly do not think that people come to care less about physical appearances with time. Whit I said was that people tend to pay less attention to the familiar than they do to the novel. It why people get traffic tickets when signage or configurations change on the roads they habitually use. This has to do with known and proven human behaviour, and has nothing to do with whether people care about things.

This may have been what you meant to convey, but it's not really what you initially stated.

The caring issue is simply proven. You love your mate, they are scarred in a bad accident, you don't stop loving them (usually), and you stop thinking about their appearance and concentrate on how they make you feel.

I don't think this is necessarily true for everyone. I have a good friend who was married to her husband for many years---she thought her marriage was solid. She later developed breast cancer, and had a double mastectomy, but she didn't opt for reconstructive surgery. Her husband was no longer sexually attracted to her, and ended up cheating on her and leaving her for the other woman.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 92
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/8/2017 5:11:14 PM
Awww HS :( Hope she finds a better Man than he clearly is.
I agree I read it to be one stops caring about how you or your partner or friend(s) look.. not only do I notice I compliment them on the new hair, or gloss, etc.
Altho when someone is very ill it is hard not to think about it ( voice of experience)
But I didn't have to concentrate.. he was in my DNA of heart
 rearguard*2
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/9/2017 6:11:59 AM
More and more I come to see that people understand what they read in terms of their own preconceptions and motivations. Makes it very hard to communicate anything to people you don't really know.

While I am aware that everyone reacts differently to the physical aspects of appearance, I do believe that for every case of deplorable behaviour like the one cited by HS above, there are many more out there where love triumphs all. My personal experiences have certainly reflected that view.
 flyover_boy
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/12/2017 1:20:19 PM
I’m a bit more forgiving for the ‘fresh off the presses’ pictures for those over, say 40. We didn’t have cell phones when we were in high school, but like today’s 20-somethings, I’m sure we’d be photographing ourselves daily too. And, these kids will stop with the selfies as they age too.

We all like the most current photos, true. But, I’m more fussy about the KINDS of pictures they post. Sometimes you’ll see a bunch of ‘new’ photos, but they are head and shoulder or gang photos (here’s me at a table with my friends) or other obstructions to the ‘full figure,’ holding a dog etc. As much as many complain, I prefer one good CLEAR shot through a full length mirror over ten of the previous mentioned. Also, with those gang photos, watch out, your friends might upstage you, and your legal daughter, she might make you seem much older.

The clearly dated h/s shots are interesting. I see those every so often. The ‘big hair’ or dated jeans, remember those machine washed ones from the 80‘s ? Some of that stems from, and I’ve heard it said years ago, some women like their h/s pictures because it was when they felt the prettiest. Maybe too, that’s when they blossomed.

Some people just don’t take good photos, for all the disappointments I’ve faced, I also have had the pleasant surprises too. The ‘better in person’ factor, which is why meeting is everything.

One last note on this and aging. In my industry looks are very important, and it is brutal for women. At my current shop, we have several women over 50 and without exception, they look GOOD. They would put to shame average 40-somethings and could compete with 30-somethings, although you would still know they are older. But, part of the equation is Nature, and I’ve seen it with young women. Both, from women I knew when I was real young to 20-something I see today. My last shop we had a cute lady, short, proportional (although not petite), she was a ‘nice package.’ However, because of her body type/frame, she will have to be careful later in life. Although genetics can play into this as well. Then, there was another 20-something, who was above average to tall, thin frame, gym rat and to complete the nightmare, food Nazi. She was not over muscular, but VERY tone, and no woman wanted to stand next to her (that upstaging thing, read above). A few years later she had a child and pictures of that were the toothpick that swallowed the pea. She has a lot working in her favor. Sure, as we age, metabolism slows down, ‘life happens,’ true. But, with a thin frame, she has a good start. The rich and famous have special doctors, dietitians, personal/private trainers and food flown in from wherever, but, for the rest of us, we have to fight with the elements we have.
 starstarstarstars
Msg: 95
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/12/2017 2:31:56 PM
Ohhhhh. My pics are 6 months old. 😦
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 96
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/12/2017 3:16:07 PM

Some people just don’t take good photos,

If I hold my breath until I turn blue, I look just like my photo.
 PurpleToffee
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/12/2017 4:28:28 PM

If I hold my breath until I turn blue, I look just like my photo.

Or a smurf ;)
You know they're kinda sexy
 starstarstarstars
Msg: 98
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/12/2017 4:44:05 PM
^ You like him. Like like. ;)
 PurpleToffee
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/12/2017 5:35:54 PM

^ You like him. Like like. ;)

LOL - I luuuurve everyone!
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/23/2017 9:24:27 PM

Why do people post pictures that are more than a couple of years old.

1. Some of us are in the witness protection plan and quite frankly don't want to tip off our adversaries to our new look.
2. I have communicated with maybe 5 people in the last 5 years on here and quite frankly there is only one or two that I would pursue if we lived closer.
3. As I work in the health field and have a virtual treasure trove of young beautiful co-workers who know my age, live close by and can share many common experiences. I am really here for the forums only but do admire good beautiful faces with a well written post.
4. I daily meet people who think I am much younger then I am. I think the record is 30 years for me but sometimes I push it off as Opiod confusion.
5. I doubt any of us would complain if Patrick Dempsey or Lexie Gray showed up in your room one night. Do we really care what their pictures age is? I don't.
6. I will also say I have been absolutely stunned as to the age of some of my residents usually thinking they were much younger than they actually were.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Old Pictures