Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Old Pictures      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Old PicturesPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Why do people post pictures that are more than a couple of years old.

1. Some of us are in the witness protection plan and quite frankly don't want to tip off our adversaries to our new look.
2. I have communicated with maybe 5 people in the last 5 years on here and quite frankly there is only one or two that I would pursue if we lived closer.
3. As I work in the health field and have a virtual treasure trove of young beautiful co-workers who know my age, live close by and can share many common experiences. I am really here for the forums only but do admire good beautiful faces with a well written post.
4. I daily meet people who think I am much younger then I am. I think the record is 30 years for me but sometimes I push it off as Opiod confusion.
5. I doubt any of us would complain if Patrick Dempsey or Lexie Gray showed up in your room one night. Do we really care what their pictures age is? I don't.
6. I will also say I have been absolutely stunned as to the age of some of my residents usually thinking they were much younger than they actually were.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/24/2017 4:27:41 AM

1. Some of us are in the witness protection plan and quite frankly don't want to tip off our adversaries to our new look.

Some girls have told me that before. They always tend to look A Lot worse after being in the witness protection program. I don't know what the FBI does to them...

I daily meet people who think I am much younger then I am. I think the record is 30 years for me but sometimes I push it off as Opiod confusion.

Well, if that's true and you look no different than your pic due to that, yeah. Someone can look older 4 years ago right when they woke up than today's best. And pictures can make one look younger or older within the same day. A couple years shouldn't make a difference on AGE looks, when you're just going by pictures. Current Style, If changed? Yeah... but that could be a couple months it'd need to be updated not even a couple years.

I doubt any of us would complain if Patrick Dempsey or Lexie Gray showed up in your room one night. Do we really care what their pictures age is? I don't.

Yep. You can get a picture years ago where you can look better than your picture. You can get someone who's hot, who, you're not caring how old their picture is.

As far as profiles when out on the prowl in dating... I never got the whole "change it every couple years" thing. If you look just like you did a couple years ago or more, why change it? If you look different 6 months from now, change it 6 months from now. If it takes 4-5 years, do it then. It's supposed to be as attractive & the same look/type as who ya are.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 102
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/24/2017 8:33:46 AM
I think what some people forget with this whole picture thing is...
pictures matter because that's what we see here. We're not bumping
into pictures in real life...we're bumping into people and we can see how
they look.

Pictures are the first portal into the dark realm of disillusionment we
refer to as online dating.

It's like reading a book after you've seen the movie...while you're reading,
you're seeing the person who played the character. If you read the book
first, you can be sometimes disappointed by the actual character in the
movie. Happened to me. Tom Hanks in the DaVinci code? Never should
have happened.
 ohenryx
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/24/2017 8:57:51 AM

browneyesboo
It's like reading a book after you've seen the movie...while you're reading,
you're seeing the person who played the character. If you read the book
first, you can be sometimes disappointed by the actual character in the
movie. Happened to me. Tom Hanks in the DaVinci code? Never should
have happened.

In that particular case, I did read the book (actually, books) well before the first movie was made. And no, I didn’t visualize the main character as being anything like Tom Hanks. But… I didn’t see the character as being the main force in the book, it was about a lot more than the character. And I happen to like Tom Hanks, so that one didn’t bother me.

What bothered me? Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. I have read all of the books. Jack Reacher is a giant of a man, 6’5”, 250 pounds, a real bruiser. Tom Cruise is a friggin’ midget. This does NOT work.

Pictures are the first portal into the dark realm of disillusionment we
refer to as online dating.

This does not sound like you, Boo. Had a bad experience lately?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 104
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/24/2017 9:08:04 AM

What bothered me? Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. I have read all of the books. Jack Reacher is a giant of a man, 6’5”, 250 pounds, a real bruiser. Tom Cruise is a friggin’ midget. This does NOT work.

True that!
Nocturnal Animals was cast well...if you've not seen or read that.

No, I'm fine.
But thank you for asking...:o)
I think of you when I'm in Texas...but you're still to far away even then...hahahaha!
 Cdan1957
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/24/2017 10:18:31 AM

This is the one that really bothered me also. Jack Reacher's size is important to his character. I do like Cruise so I biatched about it but still watch the movies.Though I didn't see Langdon as Hanks it really didnt bother me that much.

However I can see if the person that walks throught the door looks nothing like their picture the emotional response is not a positive one and may doom the "meet" from the start.....for crap sake be who you are not who you were!!
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 106
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/25/2017 8:09:18 AM
If I were purchasing an item online, let's say a leather jacket only to get a pleather shawl, yes, I'd be angry. I would expect a refund. If a company misrepresented it's merchandise, I'd stop shopping there. I think this has been a trend in internet dating, people are relying on it less in the traditional sense. Tinder is popular because it's fast and furious. No one wants pen pals and cat fishing any more.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/25/2017 1:58:57 PM
two years may not make much difference at all but anything over 5 years probably would. Some people delude themselves they have not changed. If they turn up completely different to the images loaded you can call them on it as well as being late. If they dont apologise then I would not bother to see them again.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/25/2017 2:01:07 PM
Also what does not work is Tom Cruise posing as a heterosexual. lol!!! He is about 5'7", short but not a midget.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/25/2017 2:06:49 PM
What I dont get is these people on Catfish for instance, fall in love with these cyberspectres they have never met and in some cases have never seen a moving image of. A couple of instances not even heard a voice. Just proves that most of our love affairs are just our projections anyway.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/25/2017 3:42:14 PM

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

Gawd, that character name -- huge "B Movie" overdone name that's a turnoff to me -- kind of like an overdone female name in a Bond film like "Allota Vagina" (or maybe that was Austin Powers). But at least that's not a main character.

I think what some people forget with this whole picture thing is...
pictures matter because that's what we see here. We're not bumping
into pictures in real life...we're bumping into people and we can see how
they look.

Yeah, people shouldn't put too much stock in the photos. Especially if they're picky about the little things, they need to put in perspective not to expect their vision of the person based off some pictures. Obviously someone can look WAY different regardless of what lens you look through because they posted up a picture 100 years old on their profile.... but I think people then just Assume it's all because of that. "My Space" photos is a perfect example of a picture taken TODAY that will look More Different than a more accurate picture taken 5 years ago. The age of the picture is not the issue. Accuracy is, but as you point out -- we shouldn't envision them being exactly what we draw from the illustration of them in person anyway. Just a weeding out process.

If a company misrepresented it's merchandise, I'd stop shopping there.

Yeah, but what if thinking you were getting a pleather shawl that you were settling for, but you got a leather jacket? :) Also, to BrownEyes' point, it shouldn't be treated like merchandise we're buying... not to that extent. If one finds a scratch they'll want to return the purse, jacket, shirt, etc.

I agree with Brown that one needs to not put too much stock in one's photos and envision what they look like, etc. Like you point out, Tinder's a hot commodity -- and not just for hooking up -- but you just get right to it and to the point so you Don't put so much stock in their exact looks (and everything else).

I can look at someone's Facebook page and see photos taken today that make me think the gal's a lot prettier than she is. It's just the way photos can be. I think what some people do is not just avoid the BAD ones (burn that photo!), but Only select the ones that make them look Way better than in person.... and some people on personals will Erroneously think that person Had to have selected a photo from yesteryear if they looked that good. No, they DO look that good -- when taking that exact photo Now. Difference between that and IRL visual experience.
 LincsAndy
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/27/2017 5:09:46 AM
The bottom line is, *I don't care* what anyone looked like twenty years ago, but if I'm going to meet someone I need to know what she looks like now. If she arrives for a date and I don't recognize her from her picture, I'm going to ask why the woman I was expecting to meet chose to send her mother instead.

And they have the nerve to write under the pictures that were taken when they were half their present age, "only genuine, honest men need apply". Genuine? Honest? How hypocritical is that?
 Cdan1957
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/27/2017 6:19:42 AM

Gawd, that character name -- huge "B Movie" overdone name that's a turnoff to me -- kind of like an overdone female name in a Bond film like "Allota Vagina" (or maybe that was Austin Powers). But at least that's not a main character.

Huh??? Have you read the books? the Jack Reacher books, which are written by Lee Child (british author), have a huge following. There are 22 books plus short stories. The first book was written in 1997. The latest one released in November of 2016. The movie... had a production budget of 60 million and sold over 160 million. The books...are a billion dollar brand published in 47 languages and 101 territories. With well over 100 million books sold, the series has commanded over a billion dollars in global sales. Sometimes if you dont know it is better not to comment.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 113
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/27/2017 6:45:58 AM
^^^

Huh??? Have you read the books? the Jack Reacher books, which are written by Lee Child (british author), have a huge following

I love the Jack Reacher character that Lee Child created. Always eager to get my hands on his next book!

Not sure what his beef is about the character's name...comparing it to 'Allota Vagina'?????

I've not seen the movie starring Tom Cruise as 'Reacher'---definitely not my idea of who should have played the part. But then again no one asked me~ hahahah ;-)
 Chromis1
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 1/27/2017 7:04:49 AM
^^^^ I saw the movie, only because it was filmed in Pittsburgh. Lots of scenes in familiar places, which was cool to see, but I otherwise wasn't impressed much.

You know how profile pictures line the top of the screen on the main forums page? I just saw this: a picture, one half of which was an old Polaroid, the other half of which was an Xfinity phone bill. Good work!
 Goiseyboy
Msg: 115
Old Pictures
Posted: 2/22/2017 11:55:35 AM
Long thread, sorry didn't read every response.
I get too many emails from "models" so here's what I do. If the age looks wrong, I do a Google reverse image search. Half the time I do that before even emailing. Even normal looking profiles I sometimes come across a Facebook or Linkedin profile that puts the photo at over five years ago. I won't even contact them.
It only happened once that I met with someone who's photos were obviously seven or eight years old at least. I met her at a cafe. I didn't bother sitting down. I looked at her and walked away.
Worst part was that as she looked when we met she wasn't unattractive. I just don't want to start a friendship with someone who was specifically asking for honesty and goes and posts old photos. Save that for when we're hanging one day and you want to share your past with me, or for Facebook.
 cuteinpink27
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 4/22/2017 11:45:50 AM
No one "hasn't changed much in 10 years". Your friends and family are being kind or sensitive to your ageism, are slightly delusional themselves, and/or your sight is failing.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 117
Old Pictures
Posted: 4/22/2017 2:37:42 PM
^^^ lol shhhhhhhhhh that is the life raft for many. Lordy I think I change weekly.
Same people who like to say age is just a number. er.. huh?
 cooldog65
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Old Pictures
Posted: 4/23/2017 9:11:07 AM
^^^^^Age is a number that only gets higher...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Old Pictures