Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Weight loss and feeling hungry all the time      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 26
Weight loss and feeling hungry all the timePage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

70 pounds knocked out so far gentlemen.

Great job.
Keep up the good work.

Unless you have been overweight your entire life with a slow metabolism, you will never understand the weight struggle.

True enough.
I have been blessed with a fast metabolism my whole life, so I've never had to endure a weight struggle.
And I have always had a strong appetite.
 lucidbarrier
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Weight loss and feeling hungry all the time
Posted: 7/30/2016 9:38:52 PM

Great job.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks. Sometime next month I'll be cleared by the doctor to go back lifting and playing bball. Can't wait.
 FreedomTurtle
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2016 10:27:43 PM
For me, if I have limited ingredients in a meal, I get hungry before the next meal. A good example is pizza. I can have 4 slices of medium pizza for a meal, which has more than enough calories for one meal, but I will get hungry in 2 hours or so.

If my meal consists of many different kind of side dishes, soup, salad, protein, even though calorie contends are lower than 4 slices of pizza, I don't get hungry until much later.

So I suggest you to have more varieties in your meals.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2016 11:48:46 AM

For me, if I have limited ingredients in a meal, I get hungry before the next meal. A good example is pizza. I can have 4 slices of medium pizza for a meal, which has more than enough calories for one meal, but I will get hungry in 2 hours or so.

If my meal consists of many different kind of side dishes, soup, salad, protein, even though calorie contends are lower than 4 slices of pizza, I don't get hungry until much later.

So I suggest you to have more varieties in your meals.

I agree, it seems to make my fuller longer to do that. Having a good variety in a meal.

However, if I mix protein powder in my coffee, I don't feel hungry at all. The protein is about 130 calorie, maybe 3 cups of the mix before noontime.

But then my wife and mother want to have dinner. When fix and eat dinner, then I crash an hour or two after that, feel like sleeping. However if I eat food during the day, I don't get that reaction. What I have never tried is not eating dinner, just keep up with some sort of protein shake, staying away from caffeine later in the day, but not eating any solid food.
 fh7ddj7dchud55
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/23/2016 1:02:24 PM
Don't know if anybody already covered this topic, but we have a high powered juicer at home. . . it pulverizes whatever we put into it. So you can put in vegetables, (kale, spinach, etc.) frozen organic fruit (strawberries, blue berries, bananas), and protein powder if you want . . . you don't lose any of the fiber . . its still there, all of the nutrion and antioxidants are there, and it is a very healthy way to fill yourself up until a meal hours later.
 lucidbarrier
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2016 5:56:08 PM

Don't know if anybody already covered this topic, but we have a high powered juicer at home

I had my 2nd surgery about 2 1/2 months ago, and so I've been adapting to the new me. I have a really expensive juicer that I used to use all the time. My GI doctor put me on a low FODMAP diet recently because I was struggling to find things to eat. I've taken that and cut even more stuff off that list, so I'm basically really close to something like a Paleo diet. I eat lots of protein and one of the only fruits I can really tolerate is blueberries. So I eat a lot of blueberries.

My doctor was really pushing me to add grains back in, and so I tried but it only creates a bacterial overgrowth in my small intestine. Oatmeal made me feel pretty good but I couldn't stand the gas pains. So I'm back to eating a high protein diet again. For a person with a normal GI tract, smoothies and yogurt and all that is great! I do miss them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wish I could find some more fruits that are low in fructose. Sugars seem to really bother me now.
 FreedomTurtle
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2016 7:42:32 PM
You gotta sort your medical issues. If you can't have a balanced diet, it's that much harder to have/retain the body you want.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2016 11:18:29 PM
The problem is that I am hungry all the time. I've read that when you lose a large amount of weight, your body decreases your leptin levels so you never feel satisfied and end up gaining all the weight back.

You are quite correct, OP. If you check the words LEPTIN, GHRELIN and HYPOTHALMUS IN Wikipedia, you will learn that the hypothalamus of the brain seeks to create homeostasis in all functions of the body. If you are overweight, the hypothalamus will do its best to keep you that way. It will cause the stomach to produce the hormone Ghrelin to make you feel hungry. The Ghrelin causes the body to make insulin to bring the blood sugar lower, causing hungar pangs (and worse if the sugar drops suddenly). The stomach is supposed to create another hormone called Leptin to make you feel satisfied when you are full. When the body creates ghrelin, the blood sugar should rise to make you feel full.
However, once you have gained weight the hypothalamus does its best to make sure that you feel starving until you gain the last ounce back -- plus some. This is why the vast majority of overweight people don’t keep the weight they lose off. This condition can also begin in people when something goes awry in their metabolic system that has nothing to do with their diet.
The body can suffer from “leptin resistance”. In this case, the body is producing leptin -- but the body has become resistant to it, so the Ghrelin and insulin take over -- and the blood sugar drops while you feel “starved to death” on a full stomach.
This problem can also be a result of HYPOTHYROIDISM, or underactive thyroid. Hypothyroidism keeps the blood sugar low, and the metabolism slow. And this condition can make you feel hungry all the time.
Sadly, if you go to your MD to have your thyroid hormone tested, they will actually test your TSH hormone levels in your blood. The docs go on the ASSumption that if your TSH levels are low, then your thyroid home is necessarily high. Also, most docs adhere to their own beliefs about what is the “normal range” of thyroid levels. Your body can be operating on 1/3 of average thyroid levels in the body and still be within what the docs think is within the “normal range”. Read up on symptoms of low thyroid function, and, if necessary, see an endocrinologist to get your THRYROID LEVELS tested -- NOT your TSH.
If this is the case, your endocrinologist should prescribe thyroid pills for you. Check the thyroid levels on your blood test results, and if your endocrinologist gives you only enough medication to make you “low normal” add RAW THYROID supplement to your diet. You can also benefit from a supplement called GUGULIPIDS which cause your thyroid to do its own work.
You can also buy a Glucometer and learn to use it to check blood sugar levels throughout the day. If you are low or low normal, you probably do have hypothyroidism. General low blood sugar will produce a low A1C on that blood test. But if you have SYNDROME x, (possible prediabetic) with blood sugar drops, it can still AVERAGE within range, so it won’t show. My hypoglycemia is REACTIVE, so I tested at the low end of the range. And my thyroid is low without treatment.
So, I do feel your pain -- and it can feel like HELL! In my case my sugar would drop 10 or more points rather suddenly -- sometimes WHILE I was eating. It got so bad that, no matter what diet I went on -- my body would just go crazy the second it realized I might be about to lose an ounce.
When my sugar crashes, I feel a different kind of hunger. It hurts more, and causes a feeling sort of like a panic attack. When I get that I know that eating won’t help -- it will just make things worse. So, I fast, take the amino acid****ail (described below) and just go to bed. I wake up feeling not hungry again.
Even if I lost weight very slowly. I spoke several doctors about this and they had nothing to offer.

Are there any natural things I can take to block the hungry feeling? I still consume quite a bit of protein for healing and also to keep my muscles from wasting.

One of the best supplements on the market for fat burning and appetite suppression is epehdra. This is an herb that is safe if taken according to directions.
Sadly it was outlawed for a while, but now it is back (but regulated) in some states, If your state allows you to purchase it you will most likely be able to get enough per month to be under the limit you may legally buy.
If not, you can still buy plain pseudoephedrine in the little red pills from your pharmacist. DO NOT buy the brand name PSEUDOPHEDRINE. It has extra ingredients that cause real misery.
There was a VERY effective supplement out at one time called Anorex. After ephedra was outlawed, Anorex was made without the ephedra. It was not effective.
However the formula for Anorex was this -- 1 ephedra, 125 milligrams of buffered aspirin, a 200 mg caffeine pill and 3 kelp tablets. I take this every morning and it helps a lot.
A VERY good supplement that you can buy at WalMart is LIPOZINE. It really controls the leptin issues. If used correctly it will cause you to feel full after eating and be able to eat a lot less. However, it costs at least $20 a month to use. I got tired of paying that – so I read the label. LIPOZINE is simply an herb called Konjac Root which can be purchased for less than $5 a month on a site called www.swansonvitamins.com. That’s what I do. It works just as well, and saves me a bundle. Take 2 3 minutes before each meal with AT LEAST 8 oz of water.

In my case the blood sugar is so bad that every morning I also have to take a****ail of amino acids TYROSINE, CARNITINE METHIONINE AND CYSTIENE. 500 MG each. Plus 2 tabs of Maganese to keep my insulin levels under control.
I know there are going to be posters who are horrified that I take all these pills. But I still do what I gotta do to control my weight and shut off that horrible gnawing hunger. Since I have been taking these supplements, I have not had my hunger issues any more.

I used to drink an energy drink some days because that would squash my hunger for a few hours.
Protein shakes don't fill me up. They actually make me hungrier. I've tried to cut the carbs and I just end up
craving them more. I used to be able to just ignore the hunger but it's harder now. It's not that I don't eat well. Most of
my meals are prepared at home. If I have a snack it's usually a Clif bar or a couple cheese sticks or some Chobani
greek yogurt. It's just I go over calories pretty much every day now.

Yep -- protein shakes will do that because they are usually high protein and low fat. If you are going to go low carb, you need to eat fats. In my case, if I drink a protein shake I will feel stuffed for about 5 min then my sugar will crash HARD.

The problem is I really never feel full. I stay hungry all day and that's usually why I go over calories. So I was wondering if there was any natural appetite suppressants so I can just stay under my calories
DON’T COUNT CALORIES. A LOW Carb diet is going to allow you to eat more calories so you can eat enough fats to make your system work. You need to count CARBS.
My advice to you is to get a copy of Dr Atkins Low Carb diet book. It will explain how the diet works, and how to do the diet correctly Read the book cover to cover because it contains a LOT of VERY IMPPORTATNT information you will need besides What’s on the diet. Follow Dr Atkin’s book exactly.
I did this. I found his sample menus to be inadequate at first, so I ate huge bacon and egg plates for breakfast, BIG steaks, and veggies at every meal. Even though I consumed a LOT of calories I still lost weight pretty fast. (Although I felt bloated at first) After being on the diet a while, I could eat leaner and less. I was also able to eat less saturated fats and more omega oils. But I never used any of the sample menus. I eat enough to feel full, then stop. Drinking PLENTY of filtered water really helps you stay full.
Atkins warns you however, that you DO have to stick to the diet. If you go on and off for extended periods the diet will stop working.
The book also tells you that you cannot exercise for a few days. You will also feel horrible for a while. I recommend starting the diet at the beginning of a long weekend from work. You may feel so bad that you have to stay home for a while.
After you have approached your goal, you can eat some carbs from grains. I save my carbs for special holidays, or for when I just can”t stand it anymore.

I have a major sweet tooth. It's bad.
I did too. The sweet cravings got HORRIBLE when I started Atkins. NO sweets for the first two weeks. Then I did low carb treats. Atkins sweets are just terrible. But I make mine myself. I can also make low carb breads, pizza, and whatever else.
You can also buy Carb Smart Ice Cream Bar and Fudgecicles at WalMart.
Sometimes you can whip some heavy whipped cream with Splenda and vanilla. Just a taste or two may be enough to calm those cravings.
Ken Altena on UTube will save your life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUgcq2hwonY
He and others have plenty of good low carb recipes on line. They are kind of expensive to make, but they are life savers when you just have to have sweets and bread dishes. I make a stash of cookies and candy at Christmas and Easter.
My sweet and bread cravings finally subsided. But an occasional low carb treat really helps.

Lol Lots of liberty with your assumptions. All my meals were home cooked with emphasis on eating clean or at least, with real ingredients.
I think you are inherently wrong in this blanket statement. I've always had a little extra to me even as a kid. During my teen years I would play basketball 6 hours a day and still be overweight. As an adult, I would eat a salad for lunch and fast the rest of the day and eat one meal at night. Then I would hit the gym. I was overweight but in pretty good shape, athletically. I've never taken the easy way out, I've always worked hard to lose weight the old fashioned way.
No, I don't think you do understand. Unless you have been overweight your entire life with a slow metabolism, you will never understand the weight struggle. I don't drink any sodas, I eat mostly protein and fats and I'm still freaking hungry. I am 6'2" and active, which may account for part of that. I don't know your personal experience with this, but I'm thinking you probably have been thin for the most part and think that everyone else should be thin because you are naturally. That's like me saying that you should be taller because I am tall and you need to stretch so your bones get longer

Yup! This is something you have to experience first hand to understand.
There were times when if one more person quoted me one more STUPID diet cliché I would have smacked ‘um!
What works for you and me is generally opposite of whatever it is that “they” say. (This week).
My doctor was really pushing me to add grains back in, and so I tried but it only creates a bacterial overgrowth in my small intestine. Oatmeal made me feel pretty good but I couldn't stand the gas pains. So I'm back to eating a high protein diet again. For a person with a normal GI tract, smoothies and yogurt and all that is great! I do miss them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Doctors don’t get it.

I wish I could find some more fruits that are low in fructose. Sugars seem to really bother me now
Berries and melons like cantelope are best bets.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2016 7:34:10 AM
CORRECTION OF ABOVE. DID NOT POST CORRECTLY

The problem is that I am hungry all the time. I've read that when you lose a large amount of weight, your body decreases your leptin levels so you never feel satisfied and end up gaining all the weight back.

You are quite correct, OP. If you check the words LEPTIN, GHRELIN and HYPOTHALMUS IN Wikipedia, you will learn that the hypothalamus of the brain seeks to create homeostasis (sameness) in all functions of the body. If you are overweight, the hypothalamus will do its best to keep you that way. It will cause the stomach to produce the hormone Ghrelin to make you feel hungry. The Ghrelin causes the body to make insulin. The insulin will bring the blood sugar lower, causing hungar pangs (and worse if the sugar drops suddenly). The stomach is supposed to create another hormone called Leptin to make you feel satisfied when you are full. When the stomach produces Leptin the blood sugar should rise to make you feel full.
However, once you have gained weight the hypothalamus does its best to make sure that you feel starving until you gain the last ounce back -- plus some. This is why the vast majority of overweight people don’t keep the weight they lose off.
A Leptin/ Ghrelin inbalance can also begin in people when something goes awry in their metabolic system that has nothing to do with their diet.
The body can suffer from “leptin resistance”. In this case, the body is producing adequate leptin -- but the body has become resistant to it, so the Ghrelin and insulin take over . Your blood sugar drops while you feel “starved to death” on a full stomach.
Constat hunger can also be a result of HYPOTHYROIDISM, or underactive thyroid. Hypothyroidism keeps the blood sugar low, and the metabolism slow. And this condition can make you feel hungry all the time.
Sadly, if you go to your MD to have your thyroid hormone tested, they will actually test your TSH hormone levels in your blood. The docs go on the ASSumption that if your TSH levels are low, then your thyroid home is necessarily high. Also, most docs adhere to their own beliefs about what is the “normal range” of thyroid levels. Your body can be operating on as little as 1/3 of adequate thyroid levels in the body and still be within what the docs think is the “normal range”. Read up on symptoms of low thyroid function, and, if necessary, see an Endocrinologist to get your THRYROID LEVELS tested -- NOT your TSH.
If this is the case, your Endocrinologist should prescribe thyroid pills for you. Check the thyroid levels on your blood test results, and if your endocrinologist gives you only enough medication to make you “low normal” add RAW THYROID supplement to your diet. You can also benefit from a supplement called GUGULIPIDS which cause your thyroid to do its own work.
You can also buy a Glucometer and learn to use it to check blood sugar levels throughout the day. If you are low or low normal, you probably do have hypothyroidism. General low blood sugar will produce a low A1C on that blood test. But if you have SYNDROME x, (possible prediabetic) with blood sugar drops, it can still AVERAGE within range, so it won’t show. My hypoglycemia is REACTIVE, so I tested at the low end of the range. And my thyroid is low without treatment.
So, I do feel your pain -- and it can feel like HELL! In my case my sugar would drop 10 or more points rather suddenly -- sometimes WHILE I was eating. It got so bad that, no matter what diet I went on -- my body would just go crazy the second it realized I might be about to lose an ounce.
When my sugar crashes, I feel a different kind of hunger. It hurts more, and causes a feeling sort of like a panic attack. When I get that I know that eating won’t help -- it will just make things worse. So, I fast, take the amino acid****ail (described below) and just go to bed. I wake up feeling not hungry again.
Even if I lost weight very slowly the hunger attacks would kick in. I spoke several doctors about this and they had nothing to offer.

Are there any natural things I can take to block the hungry feeling? I still consume quite a bit of protein for healing and also to keep my muscles from wasting.

One of the best supplements on the market for fat burning and appetite suppression is EPHEDRA or EPHEDRINE. This is an herb that is safe if taken according to directions.
Sadly it was outlawed for a while. Now it is back (but regulated) in some states, If your state allows you to purchase it you will most likely be able to get enough per month to be under the limit you may legally buy. If you can locate EPHEDRA or EPHEDRINE in your state it will most likely be in a sports nutrient store that caters to body builders and athletes.
If not, you can still buy plain PSEUDIPHEDRINE in the little red pills from your pharmacist. DO NOT buy the brand name PSEUDOPHED. That one has extra ingredients that cause drowsiness and other misery.
There was a VERY effective supplement out at one time called Anorex. After ephedra was outlawed, Anorex was made without the ephedra. It was not effective.
However the formula for Anorex was this -- 24 grams ephedra, 125 milligrams of buffered aspirin, a 200 mg caffeine pill and 3 kelp tablets. I take this every morning and it helps a lot.
A VERY good supplement that you can buy at WalMart is LIPOZINE. It effectively controls all leptin issues. If used correctly it will cause you to feel full after eating and be able to eat a lot less. However, it costs at least $20 a month to use. I got tired of paying that – so I read the label. LIPOZINE is simply an herb called KONJAC ROOT which can be purchased for less than $5 a month on a site called www.swansonvitamins.com. That’s what I do. It works just as well, and saves me a bundle. Take 2 tabs about 30 minutes before each meal with AT LEAST 8 oz of water. You will feel very satisfied after eating much less. KONJAC ROOT seems to have a cumulative effect in the body after a few days of taking it. You will be so happy to feel calm and relaxed again. You just feel so much better when you are not starved.

In my case the blood sugar is so bad that every morning I also have to take a****ail of amino acids TYROSINE, CARNITINE METHIONINE AND CYSTIENE. 500 MG each. Plus 2 tabs of Maganese to keep my insulin levels under control. Amino acids also improve muscle tone in your body.
I know there are going to be posters who are horrified that I take all these pills. But I still do what I gotta do to control my weight and shut off that horrible gnawing hunger. Since I have been taking these supplements, I have not had my hunger issues any more.

I used to drink an energy drink some days because that would squash my hunger for a few hours.
Protein shakes don't fill me up. They actually make me hungrier. I've tried to cut the carbs and I just end up
craving them more. I used to be able to just ignore the hunger but it's harder now. It's not that I don't eat well. Most of
my meals are prepared at home. If I have a snack it's usually a Clif bar or a couple cheese sticks or some Chobani
greek yogurt. It's just I go over calories pretty much every day now.

Yep -- protein shakes will do that because they are usually high protein and low fat. If you are going to go low carb, you need to eat fats. In my case, if I drink a protein shake I will feel stuffed for about 5 min then my sugar will crash HARD.

The problem is I really never feel full. I stay hungry all day and that's usually why I go over calories. So I was wondering if there was any natural appetite suppressants so I can just stay under my calories

If you do Low Carb DON’T COUNT CALORIES. A LOW Carb diet is going to allow you to eat more calories so you can eat enough fats to make your system work. You need to count CARBS.
My advice to you is to get a copy of Dr Atkins Low Carb diet book. It will explain how the diet works, and how to do the diet correctly. Read the book cover to cover because it contains a LOT of VERY IMPPORTATNT information you will need besides what’s on the diet. Follow Dr Atkin’s book exactly.
I did this. I found his sample menus to be inadequate at first, so I ate huge bacon and egg plates for breakfast, BIG steaks, and veggies at every meal. Even though I consumed a LOT of calories I still lost weight pretty fast. (Although I did feel bloated at first) After being on the diet a while, I could eat leaner and less. I was also able to eat less saturated fats and more omega oils. But I never used any of the sample menus. I eat enough to feel full, then stop. Drinking PLENTY of filtered water really helps you stay full.
Atkins warns you however, that you DO have to stick to the diet. If you go on and off for extended periods the diet will stop working. If you take a cheat day every week, you won’t lose or adjust very effectively.
The book also tells you that you cannot exercise for a few days. You will also feel horrible for a while. I recommend starting the diet at the beginning of a long weekend from work. You may feel so bad that you have to stay home for a while.
After you have approached your goal, you can eat some carbs from grains. I save my carbs for special holidays, or for when I just can”t stand it anymore.

I have a major sweet tooth. It's bad.

I did too. The sweet cravings got HORRIBLE when I started Atkins. NO sweets for the first two weeks. Then I did low carb treats. Atkins sweets are just terrible. But I make mine myself. I can also make low carb breads, pizza, and whatever else.
You can also buy Carb Smart Ice Cream Bar and Fudgecicles at WalMart.
Sometimes you can whip some heavy whipping cream with Splenda and vanilla. Just a taste or two may be enough to calm those cravings.
Ken Altena on UTube will save your life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUgcq2hwonY
He and others have plenty of good low carb recipes on line. They are kind of expensive to make, but they are life savers when you just have to have sweets and bread dishes. I make a stash of cookies and candy at Christmas and Easter.
My sweet and bread cravings finally subsided. But an occasional low carb treat really helps.

Lol Lots of liberty with your assumptions. All my meals were home cooked with emphasis on eating clean or at least, with real ingredients.....

I think you are inherently wrong in this blanket statement. I've always had a little extra to me even as a kid. During my teen years I would play basketball 6 hours a day and still be overweight. As an adult, I would eat a salad for lunch and fast the rest of the day and eat one meal at night. Then I would hit the gym. I was overweight but in pretty good shape, athletically. I've never taken the easy way out, I've always worked hard to lose weight the old fashioned way....

No, I don't think you do understand. Unless you have been overweight your entire life with a slow metabolism, you will never understand the weight struggle. I don't drink any sodas, I eat mostly protein and fats and I'm still freaking hungry. I am 6'2" and active, which may account for part of that. I don't know your personal experience with this, but I'm thinking you probably have been thin for the most part and think that everyone else should be thin because you are naturally. That's like me saying that you should be taller because I am tall and you need to stretch so your bones get longer.....

Yup! This is something you have to experience firsthand to understand.
There were times when if one more person quoted me one more STUPID diet cliché I would have smacked ‘um!

What works for you and me is generally opposite of whatever it is that “they” say. (This week).

Doctors don’t get it.

I wish I could find some more fruits that are low in fructose. Sugars seem to really bother me now

Berries and melons like cantelope are best bets.

PS -- Persistant daily cardio like walking will finally train your brain to accept a lower weight.
 Damilovely
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2016 3:53:49 AM
Good job OP.
Wheat, grains, sugar and carbs are a no for anyone trying to loose weight. Dark berries are ok for treats.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Weight loss and feeling hungry all the time