Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 20 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Red_Fish_Blonde_Fish
Msg: 26
20 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attackPage 2 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
https://youtu.be/xfqND7qROQQ

I bet anything, those who are gone & their loved ones wouldn't care who is 1/2 inch too short, 10 lbs xtra, has false teeth, or takes bad pix w/ a camera.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT :0(
 DessertTray
Msg: 27
20 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack
Posted: 6/12/2016 11:35:23 AM
Well we can't blame all Muslims because of the actions of a few deranged extremists.
What we can do is blame all gun owners because of a few deranged gun owners.
Shooter, why, WHY, did you have to go and claim allegiance to Isis? Otherwise we could have blamed the entire episode on Donald Trump, talk radio, the tea party and the vast right wing conspiracy. You've put a cog in our agenda blast ya.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/12/2016 11:37:16 AM
I'm with you on that Halftime. I did see Obama speak. 15 of these in his 8 years! crazy.
It just really sucks that there were a bunch of people, excited for a fun night out, squeezing in as much fun times before stupid monday back to work.
 chinook1111
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/12/2016 11:51:09 AM
@Daydreamer
Daydreamer,try telling that to some Pakistani Christians.

Your average Christian is not concerned with what goes on in gay clubs.In their schools possibly.
 memtoo
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/12/2016 12:04:00 PM

Memtoo

I wasn't the first person to mention Obama.
And I actually said DON'T BLAME HIM,
But
Try again

But you would be blaming him IF the shooter would have been an immigrant.
 DessertTray
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/12/2016 1:31:26 PM

Can't wait for Obama to weigh in on this one.

Yes, with a reference to radical Islamic terrorism.
On second thought we can't disturb the precious sensitive psyche of the students at so called higher learning academia and University of Missouri professors. We need to refrain from words like radical Islamic terrorism because it makes them feel uncomfortable. Obama is a great leader because he recognizes this. And he knows how to crease his slacks, read teleprompters etc.
 memtoo
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/12/2016 2:50:03 PM
Right, instead we need more hate against the LGBT community sponsored by your leaders like Donald Trump, Falwell, etc.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2016 4:24:05 PM
I was indirectly affected by this in all kinds of ways. As I mentioned in the Trump thread, my second best friend was supposed to be within a couple blocks of Pulse last night but her friend cancelled on her so she called me and we had a birthday night out for her in St. Pete instead. When she woke up to this today, she was extremely rattled. I have numerous friends who live in Orlando and I’ve never seen so many “Safe” FB alerts. One friend was at a club 5 minutes from Pulse at the time it happened and ran right into the mess and she is pretty distraught about it. Another friend was in the area earlier and left a couple hours before it happened. My best friend usually clubs in that area when she stays overnight in Orlando. It’d be interesting to know why this man who lived about as close to Miami as Orlando picked the latter and this area of the city in particular to do his evil deed. So far it does not appear I know anybody who was actually a victim or even a close friend or relative of a victim, but then again we don’t know a lot about the victims yet. Blood mobiles I’ve driven by today in Tampa have lines dozens of people deep. Really seems like the community is coming together for this tragedy.

But of course, it really isn’t.

"Was this a hate crime against he LGBT community or domestic terrorism?" It would appear to be a sad, sick combo.

“Dead gays AND more reason to promote an anti-Muslim agenda? It's like Christmas morning for conservatives!” I’ve read dozens like that in Fox News and Yahoo comments today. Quite a few celebrate the fact there will be “20(50) less Clinton voters in a swing state!” This environment has just become disgustingly toxic – I know the vast majority of conservatives find such comments as abhorrent as the rest of the country, but when most of them are largely sitting on the sidelines in cases like North Carolina, Roy Moore and Kim Davis, then what do they expect to happen? This is a most peculiar situation with some very strange bedfellows – it’s interesting how much conservative Christians and Muslims hate each other but have so much in common, particularly with homosexuality.

I was really hoping Obama wouldn’t mention America’s gun culture in his speech, because I knew Fox (and friends) would jump right on that, which they did, plus it seemed a little unnecessarily political to me for what was otherwise a highly nonpolitical speech. And of course they also jumped on him not mentioning anything about Islam being involved (though to be fair, that was then and still now somewhat speculation). Obviously this tragedy is going to be used for political purposes during a political year – that’s just the way the world is now, and it’s already being used by both sides.

That said, it’s impossible for me to take seriously the thought of Trump making such a speech under similar circumstances – I mean, he would obviously tweet about it, though it’d probably be a little different than “Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism” if he was president when it happened. Which it probably would happen if he was president. Because there’s not much the president alone can do to stop mass murders (terrorist or not). Of course, in this particular case, I suppose Reagan is as much to blame as any president since his administration allowed the shooter’s parents to immigrate here (not that Omar's father understands how it came to this for his son). Boston, San Bernardino, Orlando – ISIS perhaps has become worse than Al-Qaida, because Al-Qaida at least had to ship in its terrorists. Though to some extent I’m not sure if these guys were all that much different than the worst of Trump and Sanders supporters: it has little to do with beliefs or politics, they’re just mad as hell and want to watch the world burn.

Although today, in the Happiest Place on Earth, it bled.
 chinook1111
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/12/2016 5:18:54 PM
Nice one Hawking.Compare the shooter to Trump supporters.Sure.Some azzhat celebrates dead gays in a tweet therefore this is the consensus among Trump supporters? Give it a break buddy.
I'm sure the shooters dad can't figure out why his son did this either.Could it be he preached about evil infidels for years?Railed at the decadent west?Islam and the 21st century are out of tune by about a Millennium
 BBEisBack
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2016 5:50:03 PM

And of course they also jumped on him not mentioning anything about Islam being involved (though to be fair, that was then and still now somewhat speculation). Obviously this tragedy is going to be used for political purposes during a political year – that’s just the way the world is now, and it’s already being used by both sides.

Is ISIS Islamic or not?

* Mateen called 911 during the attack to pledge allegiance to ISIS and mentioned the Boston Marathon bombers, according to a U.S. official.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/12/2016 6:10:36 PM
With the US having the most fire-arm related deaths in all (non war torn) industrialized countries; let us NOT ask what the role of easy gun access was in relation to this tragedy (as it also was with killers like Lanza, the Roof, Faruook, etc).
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/12/2016 6:55:18 PM
I just read that Trump is calling for a temporary ban on white men to the United States. Also those white men currently residing in the U.S., to wear badges on their outer garments at all times so they can be easily identified and monitored.

Man arrested near L.A. gay pride parade had guns, explosives:

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- A heavily armed Indiana manwith assault rifles and explosives in car was arrested Sunday on his way to a Southern California gay pride parade told police he wanted to do harm to the event, authorities said.

"Further investigation, led to the recovery of three assault rifles, high capacity magazines and ammunition," Santa Monica police Lt. Saul Rodriguez said. "Additionally, officers discovered a 5 gallon bucket with chemicals capable of forming an improvised explosive device. All items were recovered from Howell's vehicle."

Santa Monica police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks tweeted that Howell told officers after he was arrested that he wanted to harm the gay pride event in West Hollywood that was taking place about seven miles away later Sunday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/heavily-armed-man-arrested-near-california-pride-parade/
 Maleman999
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/12/2016 7:02:05 PM

Additionally, officers discovered a 5 gallon bucket with chemicals capable of forming an improvised explosive device.

That sounds like what I had for Sunday dinner with the family.
 memtoo
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/12/2016 7:20:31 PM
This is what Trump is doing to the country. He is making hate speech and hate thoughts okay. He has lowered the bar so much already, just imagine if he becomes president? And people have the audacity to complain about Hillary with this piece of garbage as the Republican nominee.
 DessertTray
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/12/2016 8:00:06 PM

This is what Trump is doing to the country.

What's he doing?

He is making hate speech and hate thoughts okay.

Well, Omar's parents say he became disgusted with gays a couple years ago when he saw two men kissing in public. Can't say I remember anyone concerned about how politically correct Trumps views were two years ago.

just imagine if he becomes president?

Seems to me you are doing enough imagining for all of us.
 chinook1111
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/12/2016 8:02:59 PM
These parades have been a source of controversy for years. Never attended and I wouldn't want to see overweight guys in leather baring their butts .Looks like an opportunity to act up more than anything else.Maybe they should be banned if people find them offensive?

EDIT
Statement from the man has been revised.Appears to be BS.He had guns but no intention of harming.

He was planning on attending the event.An armed gay man.maybe he wanted to blow up Trump?
 ChaoticSphere
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/12/2016 8:27:44 PM
The media reported about the guy in L.A. but have been vague with details. That’s the first clue! My guess, he is probably a Bernie supporter and we all know about the violence of the Left.
 bamaisstillhere
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/12/2016 9:41:59 PM
red fish blonde fish- It's so sad, so awful, my heart goes out to the victims and their friends and family's. :(
 deetristate
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/13/2016 4:09:41 AM
It is really a terrible thing. I feel for the parents of the victims.

Were his guns acquired from a gun shop or did he get them through other means? I was wondering whether, given that the FBI brought him in to interview him twice, was he on some "do not sell this person a gun" list or is there no such list?

He probably would have just used a bomb if he couldn't get guns but I was just wondering.
 gtomustang
Msg: 45
50 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack
Posted: 6/13/2016 5:31:41 AM
the nice thing, according to FirearmsNews Vol 70 issue 13, is you no longer have to go to the gun shop, you can "pour a 100% complete AR lower at HOME". and I quote from the article, page 11, second paragraph" This is appealing for several reasons, with the chief being that it doesn't exist in the eyes of the BATFE." interpret that on your own. Don't believe me, here's the website anyone can access:

AR15Mold.com

With 3-D printers, its all a matter of time, anyway before this happens. Not trying to rehash the gun argument, but this isn't even the dark web we're talking about. The website puts "unregistered" in caps, so you're sure. Did that answer your question in a way, Dee?

Last I heard, this moron was investigated before ISIS even existed, for his views.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/13/2016 5:33:43 AM
It was reported he was still about to work as a security guard after being investigated, and than he legally purchased two guns the week before.
One of the killer's co workers said he was clear about hating " gays, blacks and Jews"
 HawkingJr
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2016 5:45:00 AM
“Were his guns acquired from a gun shop or did he get them through other means? I was wondering whether, given that the FBI brought him in to interview him twice, was he on some ‘do not sell this person a gun’ list or is there no such list?”

He did indeed buy them legally a few days before the event, a couple years after being interviewed by the FBI for some questionable rants. But they found nothing concrete enough that would justify them using significant resources to keep him continuously under surveillance (after all, they investigate thousands of such tips every year that amount to nothing).

There have been a lot of questions as to why he wasn’t at least placed on a watch list that would flag gun purchases. The answer to that question would be: Republican congressmen and the NRA.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/individuals-fbis-terrorist-watchlist-allowed-legally-purchase-firearms/story?id=35264669

“Individuals on the FBI’s terrorist watchlist are not prevented from legally purchasing firearms, but two lawmakers want to change that. FBI data from last year show that people on the watchlist were cleared to purchase guns 94 percent of the time. Lawmakers have introduced bills over the years to try to prevent suspected terrorists from purchasing firearms and explosives. None, however, have passed because of strong opposition by the gun lobby. The National Rifle Association which opposed previous bills, argued that the watchlist is too broad because it includes people who are still being investigated by authorities.”

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/dec/29/patrick-murphy/terrorist-watch-list-no-obstacle-buying-guns-rep-m/

“Republicans repeatedly blocked a bill that would keep people on the FBI list from buying guns.”

So I’m not about to sit here and tell you that this wouldn’t have happened if not for Republicans and the NRA, because it’s quite true that Mateen could have used a bomb or gotten his guns illegally. But Republicans and the NRA sure as hell made it a lot easier for this (and other mass shootings by watch list people) to happen. You can blame Obama all you want for not saying “radical Islamic terrorist” and not fighting ISIS hard enough and not banning Muslims from entering the country (though again, he was born here and his parents moved here during the Reagan administration), but ultimately, much of this blood is on the head of many Republicans in Congress (not all of them because Peter King among others tried to change the law) who are beholden to the NRA special interests and couldn’t even be persuaded to act after San Bernardino.

“Mateen called 911 during the attack to pledge allegiance to ISIS and mentioned the Boston Marathon bombers, according to a U.S. official.”

Although Mateen’s religious beliefs and possible self-radicalization to ISIS can’t be discounted as a motivating factor, his ex-wife basically said he was just a typical mentally unstable American like most of the other recent mass shooters. Like Dylann Roof, he appears to have focused most of his anger toward one particular despised target: homosexuals. So far it doesn’t appear he was actually part of ISIS but just somewhat inspired by them, enough to pledge allegiance to them during that call (why to 911 and not somebody in ISIS?).

“Maybe they should be banned if people find them offensive?”

So the second amendment is absolute, but the first amendment must be limited by what people find offensive? And which people are those? Trump and his followers? Also, apparently Ted Cruz and his followers. I must admit, I thought Cruz was the reasonable one of the two until I read the statement he released yesterday: “For all the Democrats who are loud champions of the gay and lesbian community whenever there is a culture battle waging, now is the opportunity to speak out against an ideology that calls for the murder of gays and lesbians.” WTF is wrong with you, Ted? Is Trump now writing your statements? Of course, Trump himself is using the hell out of this politically and again many Republicans are condemning him for it: “In his remarks today, President Obama disgracefully refused to even say the words ‘Radical Islam’. For that reason alone, he should step down. If Hillary Clinton, after this attack, still cannot say the two words ‘Radical Islam’ she should get out of this race for the Presidency.” That didn’t come from Twitter but I can’t believe McConnell hasn’t taken Trump’s account away from him.

“Some azzhat celebrates dead gays in a tweet therefore this is the consensus among Trump supporters?”

If it was just ONE, I probably shrug it off. But there have been MANY like that. I’m not saying it’s Trump’s fault because most of these people were like that before he even decided to run for president, but fanning the flames is about as bad as starting the fire. The United States has become an extremely toxic hate-filled environment and Trump rhetoric is just making it worse. Leaders preaching intolerance emboldens their followers to practice intolerance.
 Maleman999
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/13/2016 6:09:35 AM
I wonder how long it will take for the NRA to come out with a public statement where they blame the victims for the massacre, saying if they and everyone else were to carry guns, tragedies like this wouldn't happen, and the solution to gun violence is more guns.
 villabolos
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/13/2016 7:51:41 AM
YOu are right, Maleman.
The NRA should focus on the real problem here, islam.
The more muslims that are allowed to live in the U.S., the more of these tragedies that will occur.
We have accepted it now. That's very sad too.

There are so many muslims here in the U.S., I'm not sure how this can be stopped.

Muslims have been waging war on western civilization/anything non-muslim for 1,300 years.
Things aren't all of a sudden just going to change since they are living in a western Christian nation.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/13/2016 7:57:44 AM
In the face of a tragedy, the shameless and opportunistic leader of the Trumpeteers is out in full force congratulating himself for being right about radical Islamic terrorism.

For the purpose of this thread, lets imagine that Trump has been POTUS for the past four years.

Can someone explain how a total ban on Muslims would have stopped Omar Mateen in Florida, the LA suspect James Wesley Howell, the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Dylann Roof Charleston church shooting, and the San Bernardino massacre?

All these mentally unstable individuals were born and raised in the United States. Trump's total Muslim ban would have been ineffective in every single one of these cases.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 20 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack