Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 20 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 76
20 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attackPage 4 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

not necessary to be in Orlando, inspiration crosses all boundaries, the candlelit vigil downtown Vancouver was extremely poignant as each victim's name and age was read out

Yep, and to feel what we felt while there gave us all a little bit of hope.

Which by the way, is one of the reasons I haven't completely lost my mind with some of the bum backwards comments on this thread. I'm going to keep in my memory what was said, and felt last night. Contrary to what many believe there are people around that don't quickly jump onto some imaginary boogie man bandwagon and point at "groups" when an individual acts like a phucktard. I don't blame the USA for some of the posters here and their beliefs/thinking, as an example. I just lay blame on ignorance. Your choice if you want to be arrogant at the same time. But, be forewarned. Ignorance and arrogance do not mix. Be one, or the other. Don't do both.

Edit to add:

“We have to have that compassion for people. With homosexuals, it’s the same. Out of compassion, Let’s get rid of them now”. Muslim Imam speaking in Orlando Florida.

If you are going to say something, try to make it a true statement will ya???? Iman never said that in Orlando Florida. If you actually watched the U-Tube video, the video of this cement head was taken from 2013. What they were reporting on was that this guy was going to speak last night and right now, no record of what actually was said last night.

Do we want to go back and read what Mr. Trump has been saying in the last year?????

The above post is just another example of ignorance and arrogance not mixing well. For that, I thank you.

Carry on.
 Jo van
Msg: 77
20 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack
Posted: 6/13/2016 11:35:31 AM

islam and western civilization are not compatible.

I'd bet that you wouldn't have said that to Mohammad Ali's face.

Islam is no more (or less) delusional than the other two "Abrahamic Faiths", IMO.
People who believe they know what a non-existent deity "wants".

We used to put people in prison for homosexuality here too. (UK)
We're not so far ahead.
Religions all relegate our relatively short "mortal existences" to unimportant, compared to a much longer "afterlife", "for all eternity", apparently.

People who are 'brainwashed' enough, will gladly sacrifice this very short life, if they believe that they are pleasing their deity, and thus, will "be rewarded in heaven".
The only accurate description of these beliefs is "delusional".
Delusional people will act irrationally.
All religious beliefs are "extreme" IMO.

Even "christians" worship "martyrs". JC being the ultimate martyr, dying for his beliefs.

I'm sorry that some people seem to feel that death for themselves, and/or others, is preferable to what their ancient "scriptures" tell them is a "sin".

Being an atheist, I don't believe in "sin", as some sort of a "crime against god's wishes".
But I do think the ultimate "sin" is the senseless waste of human lives, based on the primitive writings, and superstitious 'beliefs' of bronze-age sheep-herders.
It's 2016 FFS!
Tragic.
 deetristate
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/13/2016 11:41:30 AM
Did anyone here say that it would have prevented it?

It seems that the issue is Why import vegetables from a country where the produce is cholera infected on the chance that , "Well maybe these aren't" or "Well, all vegetables from that country aren't infected."

We can spend the time and resources monitoring home grown cholera.

What is interesting to me is the excuse-making for a terrible inexcusable act.

I don't know anyone who "hates" homosexuals.

"Hates"- another of the overused to the point of meaningless words, like phobia.
 memtoo
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/13/2016 11:53:25 AM
Anone who calls gay people mentally ill hate homosexuals. You are a hater D. You can't show so little respect for a group of people and not be considered a hater. It's no different than somebody opinions that a certain group of people are inferior. You above all should know better. But instead you wallow in ignorance and a false belief in your own superiority.
 kj521
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/13/2016 11:59:36 AM
"Which by the way, is one of the reasons I haven't completely lost my mind with some of the bum backwards comments on this thread."

Have to agree, Mr. Walts re: the bum backwards comments in here. Thank goodness some of what I read in here is not my reality.

Having just dropped off some supplies to a lifelong friend who volunteers at The Center here in Orlando....some of you might be shocked to realize that many in the LGBT community are also Christian....including my friend. Such a crazy World! :)
 deetristate
Msg: 81
Posted: 6/13/2016 12:16:19 PM
That's great, kj. At lunch, I walked through the gayborhoid (their name) and dropped some money in a collection for Orlando and this tragedy.

It must be simply chaotic there. And with this and the LA incident, to have friends and relatives to worry about. . . . my, my, my.
 memtoo
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/13/2016 12:33:21 PM
I am not one of those muslim hating people, or Donald worshiping at the alter people, but lets not lose sight of some of the issues here. This video is pretty damn revealing on "gays must die" . . . killing Homosexuals is the compassionate thing to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBlwxqqAprQ

Then you have this purported threat by Isis against Florida a few days ago:

http://shoebat.com/2016/06/09/major-muslim-terrorists-makes-this-declaration-to-all-americans-we-are-coming-after-you-we-will-attack-florida-and-slaughter-americans-there/

So we cannot deny there is a problem, but holding the entire Muslim religion responsible by the miscreant Trump is pathetic. On the other hand, Hillary leaves a lot to be desired also.

What a fu^king joke this next election is going to be.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2016 12:56:28 PM
Whatever anger or angst people may feel towards political or religious or alternative lifestyle people, I would hope most people would agree the AR-15 is indeed an assault rifle designed for killing humans on a mass scale far and above what any true hunter or sportsman would ever need to take down any other animal from this planet. That fuzzy line that people draw between what makes a weapon an 'offensive' killer versus a 'defensive' protector - I hope should be a little clearer now.

I have NO problem with gun possession and use - I'm a hunter myself, and advocate gun training for everyone - but I still don't understand why - in a world where we allow AND require the registration and licensure and tracking of operating even the most simple of motor vehicles - we still feel that the freedom to own and operate such a powerful weapon should simply - be ignored.

Cars don't 'kill' people --- at least, not yet.
 villabolos
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/13/2016 1:01:15 PM
That's such a dumb statement jo about whether or not I'd say that to Muhammed Ali.

Let me know if your mindset is going to be able to save Great Britain. Let me know if your mindset of hating anything Christian or Jewish and being open and accepting of anything islam is going to stop that next terrorist attack.
If you just proclaim...I'm an atheist.... I'm sure that will stop them.

It's not hard to see why Great Britain is dying. America isn't to far behind.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/13/2016 1:05:17 PM
tRump never fails to amaze me:

Day two of the never-ending childish Republican whine post mass shooting continues.

As Senate Democrats were holding a press conference to discuss their push to pass the no fly no gun law and President Obama was somberly addressing the need to stop suspected terrorists from legally buying guns, 2016 Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump was whining like a teenager about fairness.

“I am watching @FoxNews and how fairly they are treating me and my words, and @CNN, and the total distortion of my words and what I am saying,” Donald Trump tweeted.

Was this part of a larger plot?

President Obama had just given a press conference in which he sadly informed the nation that the investigation is ongoing but yes the shooter got these weapons legally, “We see no clear evidence that he was directed externally. It does appear that at the last minute he announced allegiance to Isil… There is also no direct evidence that he was part of a larger plot. In that sense it appears to be similar to what we saw in San Bernardino. But we don’t really know.”

How will tRump deal with such issues?

And Donald Trump was whining about fairness in regards to how cable TV was treating his words.

The whiner who promises that he alone can fix terrorism, by being “tough”. What’s he going to do, whine ISIL into compliance?
http://www.politicususa.com/2016/06/13/mass-shooting-donald-trump-whine-hes-treated.html
 villabolos
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/13/2016 2:45:40 PM
Barney Frank gets it!!
He's as liberal as one can be...or at least I always thought that.
Unlike some people on this web site, at least he can be honest about what is happening.
But if Trump says anything...the liberals and in the media get their panties in a wad

It would be interesting to see who he votes for.

**********************************************************************************

By Michelle Williams | Michelle.Williams@MassLive.com masslive.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 13, 2016 at 2:07 PM
comments

Barney Frank, a long serving member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Massachusetts, voiced concerns regarding the safety of gay Americans, an "Islamic element" in terrorism and an increased need for surveillance and gun control.

Frank spoke of the attack at a gay nightclub in Orlando this weekend in an interview with the New York Times Monday.

"It's an attack against gay people but it does not reflect a general deterioration of our standing in America," he said. "It reflects the virulence of the hatred in this sector of Islam."

Frank represented Massachusetts in the House for 32 years, completing his final term in office in 2013. He came out publicly as gay in 1987, the first member of Congress to voluntarily do so, and has been a vocal gay rights advocate.

The former Massachusetts representative said he'd like to see more monitoring of people with extreme Islamic beliefs by both the Muslim community and government agencies.

"There is an Islamic element here," he told the Times. "Yes, the overwhelming majority of Muslims don'€™t do this, but there is clearly, sadly, an element in the interpretation of Islam that has some currency, some interpretation in the Middle East that encourages killing people -€” and L.G.B.T. people are on that list. And I think it is fair to ask leaders of the Islamic community, religious and otherwise, to spend some time combatting this."

Frank said the mass shooting reinforces his belief that there should be "significant surveillance" of people identified by the FBI to have radical beliefs.

The lone shooter, Omar Mateen, was interviewed by the FBI twice in recent years, but as a connection could not be drawn between him and terrorist organizations, both investigations were closed.

Law enforcement officials say the gunman pledged his allegiance to ISIS during a 911 call just before the shooting.

The day after 50 people - including Mateen - were fatally wounded, the Islamic State issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack.

President Barack Obama said Monday that there is no clear evidence the shooting was apart of a larger plot or directed by a terrorist organization.

Armed with an assault rifle and a handgun, Mateen killed 49 people inside the nightclub. Another 53 were wounded during the attack. Mateen was killed during a shootout with law enforcement.

Mateen had a Florida firearms license and legally purchased both guns within the past week.

Excluding active duty members of the military, Frank said no one should have access to such guns.

He said, of those citing 2nd Amendment rights to own such weapons, "By that logic people can have shoulder-fired missiles."
 redryder4u2
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/13/2016 3:03:16 PM
Is this not just a hate crime? A hate against gay people or the gay community? This mirderer just happens to be Muslim, do we report the religious affiliation of other mass murderers or just plain murderes; I don't recall what religion Ted Bundy was or the Green River killer. It's not like the Catholic Church embraces homosexuality even though many in the clergy are gay. The born agains and tea baggers and Evangalists don't much care for gay folks either. We have buried far too many from the LGTBQ community over the years just because some idiot was a crazy killer for their own beliefs or because some pastor/preacher and some stupid interpretation of a book written by men told them it's wrong - because God said so. Sad. Sad days.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/13/2016 3:03:33 PM
I just never thought I'd hear one conservative advocate stricter gun control!!!

Barney Frank gets it!!

Mateen had a Florida firearms license and legally purchased both guns within the past week.

Excluding active duty members of the military, Frank said no one should have access to such guns.

He said, of those citing 2nd Amendment rights to own such weapons, "By that logic people can have shoulder-fired missiles."
 _babblefish
Msg: 89
Posted: 6/13/2016 3:04:59 PM

"It's an attack against gay people but it does not reflect a general deterioration of our standing in America," he said. "It reflects the virulence of the hatred in this sector of Islam."

These stories cover the last few years:

"Josh Thomson Claims Gay Marriage ‘Gateway’ to Incest, Pedophilia and Polygamy"

"Nebraska University Expels Student for Being Lesbian, Demands She Repay Tuition"

"September 3rd - In 34 cities and in 21 countries, All Out members gathered in the streets to speak out for Russia and ask world leaders to discuss the anti-gay crackdown with President Putin face-to-face. That very day, UK Prime Minister David Cameron announced that he will do so!"

"French Open Final Hit By Anti-Gay Marriage Protest "

Many of you planted, watered and fertilized the seeds of hate and now you act surprised?

*lacking the extra god chromosomes, i fail to understand religion, any religion
 _babblefish
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/13/2016 3:13:31 PM

A cursory glance at American history reveals a legacy of terrorists who've used difference to justify mass violence against other people. In 1890, a government-sanctioned attempt to control South Dakota's Sioux population sparked the Wounded Knee massacre, in which U.S. troops killed an estimated 150 Native American men, women and children. In 1921, resentful whites attacked the prosperous black community of Greenwood, Oklahoma — a suburb of Tulsa — and looted and burned the town to the ground, killing an estimated 300 black people. In 2015, a 21-year-old white terrorist named Dylann Roof killed nine black parishioners in the basement of the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

"You rape our women and you're taking over our country," Roof reportedly said before killing one victim. "And you have to go."

For LGBTQ Americans, this violence has no less sordid a history. In 1973, arson claimed 32 lives at the Up Stairs Lounge, a gay bar in New Orleans. In 1997, terrorist Eric Robert Rudolph detonated a projectile bomb in the Otherside Lounge — a lesbian club — in Atlanta, injuring five. The next year, in Laramie, Wyoming, two bigots beat up Matthew Shepard, who was gay, before tying him to a fence and burning him to death. Cruising grounds in public parks have routinely been targeted by homophobic assailants over the decades, while the number of transgender women of color killed in recent years verges on staggering.

It's remarkable — with this history — how far many of us will go to avoid indicting the United States. Lax gun laws in this country indeed contribute to the availability of weapons used to carry out an attack of Sunday's scale, but the impulse to commit such violence has been present for much of America's lifetime. Homophobia has been inscribed in our laws. Our churches have called LGBTQ lifestyles an abomination before God.

Our insistence on finding whatever we can that is foreign, un-American or at odds with America's perceived values in crimes of this scale makes it impossible to reckon with our ghosts. Sunday's massacre represents a chance to rectify that. Will we use it?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 91
Posted: 6/13/2016 3:55:57 PM
Looks like this dude was out there, broadcasting for a long time before this: beat his first wife, harassed a coworker. Seems like there was enough out there to have set off alarm bells all 'round.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-87544201/

The Port Arthur Massacre only killed 35 and wounded 23 before Australia, at last, acted.

wiki:

The Port Arthur massacre remains one of the deadliest shootings worldwide committed by a single person. Following the spree, the Prime Minister of Australia, John Howard, introduced strict gun control laws within Australia and formulated the National Firearms Programme Implementation Act 1996, restricting the private ownership of high capacity semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns as well as introducing uniform firearms licensing. It was implemented with bipartisan support by the Commonwealth, states and territories.[5]

Some countries learn. I doubt we're one of them.
 junipermoon
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2016 4:48:29 PM

Looks like this dude was out there, broadcasting for a long time before this: beat his first wife, harassed a coworker. Seems like there was enough out there to have set off alarm bells all 'round.

other nations have lunatics. the u.s. feels the need to encourage ours to purchase firearms.
 deetristate
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/13/2016 5:01:00 PM
""""but holding the entire Muslim religion responsible by the miscreant Trump is pathetic."""

:Let me paraphrase:

but holding the entire Catholic religion responsible for the behavior of miscreant child molester priests is pathetic.

but holding the entire Jewish religion responsible for the behavior of miscreant extreme Zionists is pathetic.

but holding the entire atheist religion responsible for the behavior of miscreant Pol Po/Stalin/Mao/Kinsey (select one) is pathetic.

Maybe we are progressing here.

As far as this event in Orlando,
It was terrible, no excuses for the action, no valid reasons. Just horrible and evil.
 Maleman999
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/13/2016 5:12:17 PM
As tragic as the event was in Orlando, there will always be more massacres throughout the U.S, on a regular basis since anybody and everybody has the right to have any fire power their little heart desires. Nobody knows if a normal person or crazy person is buying the guns-and the people selling the guns don't care what they're being used for. It's a victory for terrorists when American are killing each other.
 memtoo
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/13/2016 5:19:33 PM
Exactly Dee. How could you hold those groups responsible for the actions of the few. That makes no sense now does it?
 gtomustang
Msg: 96
50 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack
Posted: 6/13/2016 6:33:22 PM
"Islam and western civilization are not compatible."

>>oh, b/c of what Western Civilization (or as Ghandi once said, a nice idea he'd like to see one day) does to other cultures? There's that Holy Crusade for land thing,there's how we treated the natives we found here when we immigrated without a visa, especially when we found oil under their reservations, how we overthrew the democratically elected government of Iran to support a dictator, then that guy got overthrown by a government that went after Saddam another dictator we supported, who later on threatened the House of Saud, another dictatorship we support who tends to support these radical jihadists (around the time we sponsored some over in Afganistan)...there's a funny meme going around by a supposed CIA officer who says she interrogated (not waterboarded, another thing we do to dem Islamies) a suspect who lamented we keep doing these movies like Star Wars, about little rebel bands doing what they can against technologically superior forces...and we just don't get that to the world, we are the Empire, and to them, they are Han and Luke. One thing common in war, every side thinks it has God on it.

we do tend to get a lot of blowback. go ahead, put up a wall, throw out all dem muzzies, and you still have millions of crazy white folk, paranoid about "where the country is going". and who's selling them that fear?

we aren't afraid to create a list keeping people off airplanes. we're deathly afraid that same list will keep them from getting all the guns they want. How is the list ok for restricting one freedom, but not another? either its good for everything or for nothing. and of course, one can make their own AR15 receiver, dye it to look like a toy to some cop answering a domestic, and the website advertises, "not registered!" as if that's what every law-abider wants in a rifle.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 97
50 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack
Posted: 6/13/2016 7:07:40 PM
It's harder to avoid the coverage than just saying I don't want to see it.

But I did see a story that the shooter has been a regular at the club for three years. This is looking more like a guy who is acting out on self hatred. It also explains why he chose that club.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/13/2016 7:37:20 PM

Muslims have been waging war on western civilization/anything non-muslim for 1,300 years.

In the interest of telling the complete story, Muslims have also been waging war on each other for 1300 years.

"The historic background of the Sunni–Shia split lies in the schism that occurred when the Islamic prophet Muhammad died in the year 632, leading to a dispute over succession to Muhammad as a caliph of the Islamic community spread across various parts of the world, which led to the Battle of Siffin. The dispute intensified greatly after the Battle of Karbala, in which Hussein ibn Ali and his household were killed by the ruling Umayyad Caliph Yazid I, and the outcry for revenge divided the early Islamic community."

"In recent years, Sunni–Shia relations have been increasingly marked by conflict, particularly the Iran–Saudi Arabia proxy conflict. Sectarian violence persists to this day from Pakistan to Yemen and is a major element of friction throughout the Middle East.[5][6] Tensions between communities have intensified during power struggles, such as the Bahraini uprising, the Iraq War, and most recently the Syrian Civil War[7][8][9] and in the formation of the self-styled Islamic State of Iraq and Syria that has launched a genocide against Shias."

-Wikipedia
 aj17225
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/13/2016 9:38:40 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their families. What we have is a radical islamic terrorist who hated Jews, Christians, Blacks and Gays. Whether I agree or not with a lifestyle, it is repugnant for anyone to feel they have the right to end a human life. Haven't been listening to the news of late but wonder why this security company kept this killer employed?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2016 10:45:14 PM

but holding the entire Catholic religion responsible for the behavior of miscreant child molester priests is pathetic.

Yes. Holding the entire Catholic population responsible for some priests' behaviors is pathetic, yes.

but holding the entire atheist religion responsible for the behavior of miscreant Pol Po/Stalin/Mao/Kinsey (select one) is pathetic.

That one makes no sense though. Atheism (non-theism) isn't a religion. It's just the lack of belief that there is in fact a god. Some leaders (like you noted) were atheistic, sure. As are many super-capitalists. And tree-huggers. And, well, people of all types. Yes, it'd be pathetic to group all non-theists as communist or those of genocide because there were those of that type... just like it'd be ridiculous to call all super-Libertians atheistic because Ayn Rand was one (not just atheistic, but was anti-theistic).

But I did see a story that the shooter has been a regular at the club for three years. This is looking more like a guy who is acting out on self hatred. It also explains why he chose that club.

Ha! I wondered right after it happened if he was really in the closet and followed thru on the ISIS wishes of causing terror during Ramadan by going crazy in that environment.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 20 feared dead after Florida nightclub terror attack