Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > As a Baby Boomer From the 60's Now IN His 60's...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 U21984
Msg: 51
As a Baby Boomer From the 60's Now IN His 60's...Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Yes!! I'm feelin the C-O-U-G-A-R vibe on this thread. That's why Ayes here!
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 52
As a Baby Boomer From the 60's Now IN His 60's...
Posted: 7/17/2016 1:55:04 PM
I don't think Bon Scott was past his prime July 1978 ( the time I saw ACDC )
 U21984
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/17/2016 1:55:33 PM
Right now Ed Bear is winning the Old Man Classic Rock D-i-c-k Swing-king Contest. Just noticed he saw the original Beatles. Doubt that would be topped as that had to be mid sixties since that's when Wiki says that quit touring.
 U21984
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/17/2016 2:03:03 PM
Yeah, it gets kind of tricky cuz a lot of these bands people think are classic rock really aren't. Like Van Halen who suck balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To me, it's when you see bona fide originals - Ozzie, Iggy, Alice, LedZ, sometime in the late 60's or early 70's. Any 60's era Beatles or Stones concert is golden. After that it becomes too F'n commercialized. Stadium rock, glam rock. All that bull. It took me days to get my bearings after finding out the epic Buster Pointdexter was an original New York Doll!
 Ed Bear
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2016 4:24:34 AM
I believe it was '63, U21984. Montreal Forum.

But I confess I hardly listen to music at all these days, even the old stuff. I'm too addicted to the color pictures that move.
ED BEAR
 cooldog65
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2016 5:35:26 AM
I have discovered so much "old" music since I've turned 50 that it's "new" for me. I used to be closed minded to music of the past, but great music is timeless and has endured.

I've really enjoyed discovering lesser known artists or songs that have been largely forgotten. The ladies from the 1960's era were some real talented beauties!

Some of my favorite recent discoveries...The Flirtations, P.P. Arnold, Millie Small, Royalettes, Marvelettes, Velvelettes, Ikettes, Brenda & The Tabulations, Martha & The Vandellas, Tammi Terrell, Brenda Holloway, and many others.
 helnback
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/24/2016 7:19:22 AM
^^^ I recently watched a excellent documentary on back up singers.... The woman singing in Gimme Shelter with The Stons, for example. And many others. It was cool.

And I hate to admit this, I just discovered Led Zeppeln. I always thought they were heavy. They are awesome. And more of Clapton...Derek and the Dominoes, I just found out he was on that band. Another I am going to check out, Radiohead.

I think we boomers just like music. It was a huge part of our growing up.
 Trevork52
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2016 7:55:17 AM
Well, as for giving out nuggets from our past ....... I was one of the around 2000 that were priviliged to be in the University Refectory in Leeds on February 14th 1970.
Even better was the fact that the tickets were free as my Mum was manageress of the Students Union Bookshop and got them for me and my brother!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/24/2016 8:08:42 AM
Clapton was in a lot of bands. Never fancied him but ppl said my husband looked like him. No he didn't LOL
I seldom listen to any "old" music.
I still sing along to Queen tho when it comes on the car radio
 U21984
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/26/2016 10:04:36 AM

I was one of the around 2000 that were priviliged to be in the University Refectory in Leeds on February 14th 1970.

Are you referencing Live at Leeds. If so, very cool. That's when some people think Punk Rock was born!
 U21984
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/26/2016 10:09:21 AM
Cool Dog! has the best profile

1) Leykis 101 rule.

2) I too am in love with that one chick from the 5th dimension from the Age of Aquarius. The white looking/acting one. What a stunner!!!!
 Beminetonight
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2016 6:26:48 AM
They used to say "Die young and leave a good-looking corpse". Well, I never found that a very tempting idea, and now it's out of the question.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/28/2016 3:57:12 PM

Walsh without the Eagles? I dunno… you can only listen to “Rocky Mountain Way” and “Life’s Been Good” so many times….

HAHA - but don't forget " Walk Away " , also a good song

He also had a song with the James Gang called " Funk 49 " which is also pretty good

A friend of my sister's turned Henley down while at the beach way back in the early 80s and he said " don't you know who I am ????

Too funny

HAHA thanks for sharing that, always funny to hear a celeb with a huge ego get shot down
 grover14
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2016 8:19:55 AM
The way it's going, I'll probably still be here looking at 90! I think by 70, I'll move into a senior housing complex and have all those single women right there. Luckily, at 62, very little sagging or wrinkles, and no grey hair!
 Maleman999
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/16/2016 9:25:12 AM

I recently watched a excellent documentary on back up singers....

I remember seeing a TV show about the farce known as Milli Vanilli, who reached stardom in the 90's, until it was found out they didn't sing the songs on their albums. It makes me wonder how many others tried to do the same thing to achieve fame and fortune. It was a well know fact that The Monkees used studio musicians on their albums, since the TV show was never expected to actually produce music stars. It was just suppose to be a fictional comedy about budding musicians. The funniest part is Jimi Hendrix was the opening act on one of the Monkees' tours.
 cooldog65
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2016 9:50:11 AM
^^^^^ Ghost singers have been around forever. Too many examples to list here, but quite common in the movies and television.

I recently watched a excellent documentary on back up singers....

It's called 20 Feet From Stardom and I have the dvd.
 Shewymacfee
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/19/2016 8:55:42 AM

How do 90 year olds speed date?

Nah mate we don't speed date, We Cabon Date (:-D
Have you ever tried manipulating a Zimmer Frame between all those tables?
Geriatric speed dating venues have red phones on the tables,,,,, connected to the incontinent help lines.

At a geriatric speed date do you say,,,, Slow night tonight.
Do you smell that?
Have you Sh*t yourself?

The only reason I took up jogging is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
I’m at an age when my back goes out more than I do.
Sorry folks too many JDs and Oreos
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2016 9:31:05 PM
Cooldog....I could listen to music with you all night long.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 4:28:48 AM
Yes and walking talking holograms which will save a lot of time and angst with weeding out those of interest
or not. There will never be another blind or deceptive date or meeting.....lol!! However there are senior dating sites and are much more suited to the more mature folk, than this one.
 cooldog65
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 9:03:13 AM
BlackLady1953...

Cooldog....I could listen to music with you all night long.

So you like vinyl records? My most recent acquisition is the self titled LP by the Three Degrees. They are definitely in my top 3 for most beautiful trios of all time. I'm finding some great stuff from the 1970s. I admit that I love funk and disco, too.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2016 7:24:07 AM
I lived a block from the old Montreal Forum (hockey temple) for many years back in Montreal, and saw a heck of a lot of great bands there, and at other Montreal venues. It was a great place. All the touring performers, from Reddington to Lennon, would always tell each other that it was THE town to do in Canada if you were going there at all.

I've spent many an evening comparing rock-show creds with pals for no apparent reason - heck, it's better than bonding by fighting until you're both bleeding wrecks like they do in the roadhouses! I even saw Jorma Kaukonen (ex-Jefferson Airplane - damn, just checked and I can still spell his name properly! one night when I was passing though Boulder, Colorado. Fantastic show! The Stones were in town the same night, but what the hey, I'd seen them three times already!

The most recent big show I've caught here in Vancouver, BC, was Bruce Springsteen. He only did half the four-hour show I saw back in Montreal, and the sound was muddy, but he's still looking a lot younger than I while I'm really younger than him.

Come to think of it, a lot of folks tell me I look wayyy younger than I am - a cop once tried to tell me that couldn't be my driver's license - but I don't see the ladies lining up to get to know me. No accounting for taste, eh?
ED BEAR
 LesLaz777
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/14/2017 6:26:03 AM

I've spent many an evening comparing rock-show creds with pals

Speaking of rock-show creds, saw something on a facebook wall of a friend yesterday referencing the granddaddy of all rock-show creds. It said something along the lines of "This Day In History 50 Years Ago - Woodstock!" He was a little younger, so I told him Woodstock was in August, and that this year would really be marking the 48th anniversary. Do you remember, in the lead up to the exact day in Back To The Future when they arrived in the year 2015, there were all kind of false flags, from 2012 going forward, saying today marks the day. Well, hold tight! I have a feeling, for Baby Boomers, the celebration of the 50th anniversary of Woodstock is about to receive the same treatment.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/14/2017 9:19:05 AM
I'm a baby boomer.
I remember Woodstock.
There is an anniversary being planned for 2019.

Not sure what your friend was referencing.

https://www.facebook.com/Woodstock50thAnniversary/
 gtomustang
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/15/2017 6:52:48 AM
The thing that impresses me about WS, there wasn't nearly the amount of communication technology there is today, to let people know "This is the place to be". No GPS to find the place, no buzzfeed, twitter, cellphones to use along the way, no podcasts to catch later, no flash mobs....and yet stoned hippies were able to find out it was going on and where, typically from some flier on a coffee house wall.

a lack of communication technology compared to today, and yet people talk about that concert more than perhaps any one that has taken place in the age of email and other ways news spreads fast. in that way, technology isn't helping us automatically make public gatherings at that level.
 ohenryx
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2017 6:56:02 AM
Ah, the summer of ’69. It was a very good year, as Frank liked to say.

I had just graduated high school, and was spending the summer in Omaha, Nebraska doing construction work, making a little money to pay or help pay for college that fall. Woodstock made the national news when the crowd became huge, and that was the first I heard of it. I had an immediate urge to drop everything and go, but it was a long way away, I had a job and needed the money, and I would have been very late to the party by the time I could have gotten there.

Still, if I had it to do over again …
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > As a Baby Boomer From the 60's Now IN His 60's...