Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Menopause - I'm scared      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 51
Menopause - I'm scaredPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Philosophically, is getting old like breaking down and should be "fixed"?

IMO., Yes.
-But, very, very, very slowly. (In most cases)
It's like a very old car, wearing out, through age, and mileage, and rust, and friction, and metal-fatigue, and gravity.

The "stick-shift" makes a grinding noise (See!? I can speak American too!!)
The brakes squeak. It takes longer to both start, and to stop!
Inside, some of the upholstery is threadbare. - & It smells of wet dogs, -even though you've never ever had a dog.
It could all be fixed, but it would cost more than the car is worth.

Philosophically, this would be like saying "I've had the same broom for 20 years, and during that time, I've replaced the 'head' 17 times. and the handle, 12 times."

With humans, I think we replace every single cell in our bodies, about every 6 years or so (From memory). Over that period, there's not an original part left.
The "problem" (ageing) is, that over time, our bodies stop replacing cells with exact copies, and get a little bit "Meh, that'll do", about it. Our 'telomeres' are fraying, apparently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere

So our hair starts to go grey (Note, correct spelling!) or fall out. Our skin becomes less 'elastic', and begins to sag, and wrinkle.
For men, this can also result in some truly pendulous bollocks.
(Which, coincidentally, is also what most of my posts are)

On some more positive notes;
1/. All this talk about "dryness" shouldn't be a problem for about 20%* of you ladies, -because your "mild bladder weakness" should more than compensate for that . -You'll be "wetter than a mermaid's flannel", as they say.
(-It's a "glass half-full/half-empty" thing, "one door closes, another opens", in this case; your bladders.)
(* Figure obtained from "reliable" advertising sources)

2/. You all seem to have "synchronised" your menopauses too. I didn't know that happened. "Go sisters!"

The way I look at it is: My body has only got to last as long as I live.
So far, so good.
("Touch wood")

Have a happy post-menopausal Sunday.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 52
Menopause - I'm scared
Posted: 7/17/2016 1:49:02 PM

So our hair starts to go grey (Note, correct spelling!) or fall out.

Don't know, Jo. My hair started to go white in my late twenties. Then, when I was ill five years ago, about 2/3rds of it fell out. Thought I might be doomed. . . . But now, for the first time in my life it's grown longer than just to my shoulder blades, and thicker, too. So now, it's below my waist, and so thick it's hella hard to get into a pony tail elastic. Haven't cut it for twenty-five years, but am thinking about doing so now, it's so damned hard to handle!
 RussAlbuqGM
Msg: 53
Menopause - Disclosure on POF Profile
Posted: 11/30/2016 12:23:26 PM
Does POF have a field for users to specify their menopause status, i.e., pre-, inter- or post-menopause?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/30/2016 12:45:05 PM
yes :) Just like you have 2 weeks to correct age errors on your profile we ladies have 3 weeks to fill that section in
then we cannot
Could always ask in a first message tho
 razors_edge55
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2016 1:00:25 PM
my dutch old lady friend called it penopause ,for men ,,,I think if you are well in tune with your mate ,,you feel it too ,,,,,I did in my 17 year adventure
 gotahubcapdiamondstarhalo
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/1/2016 11:47:01 PM

Does POF have a field for users to specify their menopause status, i.e., pre-, inter- or post-menopause?

Yes. It's right next to the field used for men to specify whether they are circumcised or not. Your profile will not be available for women to view until you complete that question. Best go finish up.
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/4/2016 2:26:19 PM
hahahaha...or over 40 and dealing with an ED issue
 deetristate
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/6/2016 4:15:23 AM
or taking a blue pill (ugh).
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Menopause - I'm scared
Posted: 12/19/2016 4:36:28 PM
[I thought more people would comment on their experiences as the partners of people going through menopause]

I had eight years of peri menopause, which were spotty periods, and hot flashes MOSTLY in summer. Summer in Texas is HOT, so a hot flash here is awful.
At 50 was full Menopause,,,, so far its been great, sex, when i was seeing a guy was good, but did have a bit longer to achieve orgasm.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Menopause - I'm scared