Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > A NEW queston about an OLD topic......      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chromis1
Msg: 126
view profile
History
A NEW queston about an OLD topic......Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Results being good doesn't mean there exists no Reason to fib to make it better.

That's only your opinion. That's like saying somebody with a billion dollars always has a good reason to lie to grab ten million more. Maybe in your mind. Others will think completely differently.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 127
A NEW queston about an OLD topic......
Posted: 7/23/2016 12:07:36 PM
Height includes shoes worn on 1st date, right?
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 128
Posted: 7/23/2016 1:05:46 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ Just as long as you are paying for the height.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2016 3:32:16 PM

Results being good doesn't mean there exists no Reason to fib to make it better.
That's only your opinion.

It's actually a factual statement, maybe you misread it at first glance. Results [already] being good doesn't mean No reason exists to fib to make it better. The opinion is whether one actually recognizes it if one exists, and whether it's worth fibbing about.

39 will bring in more than 45,
You don't know that to be true.

True -- I jumped the gun on that. If someone's 45 and looking for older women in their 50s, 39 will likely get less returns. It depends on what age range he's targeting. If a guy's targeting notably younger gals (like many would like) -- his luck will be better @39 vs @45 when he is 45.
 Chromis1
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2016 8:17:07 PM

That's only your opinion.

It's actually a factual statement, maybe you misread it at first glance. Results [already] being good doesn't mean No reason exists to fib to make it better. The opinion is whether one actually recognizes it if one exists, and whether it's worth fibbing about.

No, it's not a factual statement. Whether or not a reason exists to lie to better results will always be a subjective determination, a weighing of whether it's worth it or not.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 131
Posted: 8/7/2016 8:53:31 PM
E pluribus unum.

Quid pro quo.

Nolo press is cost effective.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2016 2:12:16 PM

Results [already] being good doesn't mean No reason exists to fib to make it better.
No, it's not a factual statement.

I think maybe there's some miscommunication here. My statement there is a factual statement. And I also agree with what you said right after, as I said basically the same thing:

The opinion is whether one actually recognizes it if one exists, and whether it's worth fibbing about.
Whether or not a reason exists to lie to better results will always be a subjective determination, a weighing of whether it's worth it or not.

... as I too said That is the subjective/opinionated part. Different from what I am saying is a factual statement -- results already being good doesn't mean no reason will ever exist to fib to make it better. Are you saying there will never exist a logical reason to fib to make something better, just because the results are a-okay already?
 Chromis1
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2016 2:59:29 PM

Are you saying there will never exist a logical reason to fib to make something better, just because the results are a-okay already?

I'm saying that for "x" number of people, it is a fact to them that there will never exist a logical reason to fib. The only reasoning required is "if I get caught telling a fib, the result will be worse than if I didn't fib at all".
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2016 3:52:05 PM
The original statement said, which drew my commentary...

I never had a reason to lie since my results were good.

Yes, I agree to HIM there wasn't any motive or logical reason to fib. I understand how that's a subjective interpretation. All I'm saying is, just because one's results are good, doesn't mean there doesn't exist any Potential motive or logical reason to still fib to make things better. Not everyone's going to have them. But to say that Nobody will ever have a reason to fib if the results are already good -- would be obviously false, which I'm sure we agree on -- and that's all I was saying.

Basically, results already being good for ya may be reason enough to you not to fib on anything -- but that doesn't mean a reason for one to still fib is always non-existent. A guy's 5'8" and pretty good looking... he thinks his results are good. Objectively speaking, his inbox results would be even better if he made himself 5'10". That's going to be reason enough for some to do so, is all I'm saying. Decent results don't objectively eradicate reasons/motives to still fib to get even better results.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 135
Reaching new heights in analyzing and nitpicking....
Posted: 8/8/2016 4:38:08 PM
Someone has a really boring job or life.
Or both.
 Kashmir_too
Msg: 136
Posted: 8/8/2016 4:46:47 PM
^^* I have to agree with you. And he always manage to find someone to "feed" his habit of analyzing and nitpicking. Note the word analyzing has "anal" in it...it makes sense.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 137
Posted: 8/8/2016 5:11:58 PM
Can you explain in terms of Harry & Sally?
 rearguard*2
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2016 9:02:39 AM
So....since my results have been abysmal does that mean my profile is full of lies?
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 139
Posted: 8/9/2016 1:11:48 PM
I feel that my purpose here is to defend the Norwegian. Sure he talks a lot, but he's never rude.
 2ufo
Msg: 140
Posted: 8/9/2016 1:45:36 PM

The only reason to lie is to get better results.
At least in the short-term.
It probably doesn't work very well for people seeking a long-term relationship based on mutual respect and honesty.
Which is why I avoid liars who want quantity rather than quality.
 Kashmir_too
Msg: 141
Posted: 8/9/2016 3:58:47 PM
Apparently Hillary Clinton lied about some emails. Trump tosses more lies out there daily than balls are thrown in a Major League Baseball game. Anyone I know that is in private business has fudged the numbers a bit to their advantage when doi g their tax return, many ordinary folks do as well. We have all said "nice hair" "nice dress" or "cute baby" "it's 7 inches" "I only had two drinks" "I can't come to work today because I'm sick" and on and on. Every one of us has said a white lie or a lie of some sort...including probably every single religious leader in every faith and every man, woman and child who has set their azz in a pew on Sunday (or Saturday, or pick a day). ALL of these people are probably more than respectful and honest when it counts and where it counts....except Trump, I can't stand that POS but it's not just because he lies.

I surround myself with quality people. My quality people don't judge as harshly, in fact, they rarely judge...that's why they are of quality. And those that put themselves on a pedestal have the hardest landing when they fall, and we all fall.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2016 6:41:16 PM

My first thought on this is, that you are exactly describing the reasoning behind a lot of the people who DO lie, right now.

They are hoping for exactly that result: that you'll meet, and the person who was lied to, will realize how silly they were to have drawn the limits that they had, before finding out just how wonderful this codger really is.

Next: it isn't WHAT someone lies about which is the concern. It's WHY they lie. Lying to avoid small embarrassments, is usually understandable and unimportant. Those are the kinds of lies which go away, as soon as you get to know each other well enough to have confidence about yourselves.

But what your scenario describes, is someone who has shown that they believe in lying whenever a lie is required, in order for them to get what they want. I've had several experiences with people who thought that way, and every single one, ended up with me being severely emotionally hurt, and often financially damaged as well. So I would say that the chances of my NOT having my confidence in such a person as a mate be shattered, upon learning the truth, are tiny.

Perfect! Applause!!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 143
Posted: 8/22/2016 6:50:04 PM

E pluribus unum.

Quid pro quo.

Klaatu barada nikto.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 144
Posted: 8/22/2016 8:32:51 PM
^ Nanah nanah!

(Snobs.)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 145
Posted: 8/23/2016 6:34:47 AM
When you folks start this I always start hearing the Numa Numa song
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haha
 StumbledBkn
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2016 8:03:47 AM

When you folks start this I always start hearing the Numa Numa song

This I gotta hear. Where is it available for download?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 147
Posted: 8/23/2016 12:04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HR4hp_-kSI
be warned.. it will live in your head
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 148
Posted: 8/23/2016 12:42:57 PM
^^^^
Mating strategy of the Arctic fox??
 rearguard*2
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2016 8:55:39 AM
Not, to my mind, the best version, but definitely addictive. I like Gary's version best.

Followed on my machine by "Girls just wanna have fun..."
 grover14
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2016 8:10:15 AM
I met a really nice woman that I thought was someone I wanted to know better. Found out she lied about her age, and I stopped communication. I have been lied to in past relationships, so if she lied about her age, makes you think what else will she lie about.

Of course, I often thought I should have overlooked that, probably missed out on a good woman.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > A NEW queston about an OLD topic......