Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ladies, would you want a stay-at-home boyfriend?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 from site to sight
Msg: 151
Lazy malingers aren't my idea of hot dates.Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Another difference is in the U.S., if you go to a community college and take a 1 or 2 year program, you get a degree upon completion. In Canada, if you take the same course, you get a college diploma or certificate. It takes 4 years of university to get a degree.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Lazy malingers aren't my idea of hot dates.
Posted: 7/31/2018 10:40:26 AM

1-year certificate or 2-year degree technical schools or bible schools are considered colleges. So when Americans say they are going to college and Canadians say they are going to college it means two different things.

Another difference is in the U.S., if you go to a community college and take a 1 or 2 year program, you get a degree upon completion. In Canada, if you take the same course, you get a college diploma or certificate. It takes 4 years of university to get a degree.

I'm a bit confused on how there's really much of a difference besides terminology. You can get a 2 year degree VS 2 year certificate. Tomato, tomatoe, clitorus, clitoris, right?
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2018 11:01:31 AM
I can't think of anything more udderly emasculating than being a "Mr. Mom." Ugh. Theoretically if my mate/wife/whatever gets a better job and wants me to quit mine to become a Mr. Mom, ain't gonna happen. I have no problem with being the secondary breadwinner, though.... i.e., pick up the kids from school, attend PTA meetings, etc. etc. but no way in h*ll I'd ever quit working and become a Mr. Mom, no matter how crappy in comparison my job may be.

And I will agree with women who say they wonder about a man who's willing to voluntarily stay at home and not work. I'd consider that a red flag.

I think my opinion is more old school thinking though. I always consider Mr. Moms odd, though, when I run into them IRL. I'm always thinking in the back of my mind, "Oh couldn't make it in the real world, eh?"
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2018 4:29:00 PM
It's like the difference between pre-school and highschool. It's basically an insult for higher education to be called school here.
Certificates are way lower than degrees in ranking so is diploma. So is college. As far as I'm aware college is before even doing a degree?
Sounds like highschool to me.
 julystorm22
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2018 8:59:49 AM
Yeah, to say you have a college degree is less prominent then saying you have a university degree. Although in the last few years a college degree which is a technical degree gets you a lot farther job-wise than a university degree.
 2ufo
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2018 10:13:27 AM
Here I have a four year college degree. Maybe I'm just too lazy to say 'u-ni-ver-si-ty'. Although sometimes I differentiate into bachelor, masters, or doctoral. Sometimes, you can obtain a certificate in some short-term but intensive specialty.

May it's that I haven't been to 'school' in over 20 years.
 playingindirt
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Ladies, would you want a stay-at-home boyfriend?
Posted: 10/5/2018 7:16:28 PM
I've known people it worked for. and I too did it for 13 years. but I don't think most people are able to do it without taking advantage of their partner. you have to be able to appreciate and respect each other and for what they do in order for it work. If you can't see it that way it will not work. It just isn't for everybody.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2018 7:45:50 PM
I paid for my ex's education. Boy did I get a lot out of that!!!!

I got to-
Still pay for everything.
Buy her vehicles and pay for insurance and gas.
Pay for her insurance.
Feed her.
Clothe her.
And foot the bill for her tuition.

What did I ACTUALLY get?

Haircuts. I figured it out once. Those haircuts cost me about $150 each. (Figured from the cost of her schooling)
And a common argument that her money was hers. and what I made was for both of us.

No wonder I was too ready to wave bye-bye to that hoarding ****H.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2018 7:47:26 PM
College degree versus University degree?
Good grief. First off, there is a difference here from whence one comes from...……………..USA / Canada/ Australia/ UK , (Just to name a few)

An associate degree is an undergraduate academic degree awarded by colleges and universities upon completion of a course of study intended to usually last two years or more.

A bachelor's degree or baccalaureate is an undergraduate academic degree awarded by colleges and universities upon completion of a course of study lasting three to seven years. In some institutions and educational systems, some bachelor's degrees can only be taken as graduate or postgraduate degrees after a first degree has been completed.

A master's degree is an academic degree awarded by universities or colleges upon completion of a course of study demonstrating mastery or a high-order overview of a specific field of study or area of professional practice.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2018 10:34:12 PM
I don't think we even have colleges in Aus so it's massively confusing.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2018 11:06:28 PM

Yeah, to say you have a college degree is less prominent then saying you have a university degree.

I agree with what was said after this, that wordage is used differently in different English-speaking countries, with more emphasis and "umph". I can say here in the US, one will (flip hair) say "university" more often if they want to stick their chest out more with it. It makes me roll my eyes about it how it gets out of control. Sad.

It reminds me of the over-used word "professional". Hair-flippin' people LOVE to change the meaning of it. Oh, you're a plumber? You said you're a "working professional". On a profile, one will put "Professional" under "Profession:". "I'm a professional professional." Never mind that the job itself doesn't have to pay much, but what does matter is that it very possibly has a fancier title than what it actually entails -- as the satisfaction in feeling important is one "playing the part" in white-collar getup, doing white-collar working-world stuff.

It's SO "high school" with some folks out in society who cake this stuff on thick! :)
 2ufo
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2018 11:40:38 AM
So maybe I should enumerate all my credit hours in my profile?
Point out that in the US, certificates are usually awarded at the Master's or Doctoral level and only occasionally at the Bachelor's.

I don't find it all that important.
I've known highly educated people who were dumb as posts and I've known highly intelligent people who never graduated high school.
 spot4username
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2018 12:00:01 PM

don't find it all that important.
I've known highly educated people who were dumb as posts

As have I.

I've known highly intelligent people

I am a card carrying member of a well known smarty pants club.

who never graduated high school

I am a high school dropout.

My ex is also a high school dropout. Life sometimes has a way of putting obstacles on the path you are on and taking you on a different path. Education was important in my household. My oldest son has his MBA, my middle son has his JD, and my youngest son received his engineering degree in May and is looking into getting his Masters once he has been at his new position long enough for them to pick up part of the tab. Patterns do not always repeat.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2018 12:13:23 PM
In Australia it is just certifications which can be 1 day workshops or longer for stuff like RSA, RCG and first aid, then there are longer certificates that go for like a year like IT 2 and 3 and retail etc then diploma (atleast 2 yrs) then undergraduate degree (3-8yrs), then postgraduate coursework or masters (around 2yrs), think doctorate is a few years. Diploma is definitely not as high as a degree, atleast where I am.
 2ufo
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2018 1:46:55 PM
There are certificates like that here as well. Say, a certificate in first aid or a dog’s good citizenship certificate. There are also certificates for different class subjects in teaching.
So, it’s probably best to ask.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2018 10:14:40 AM
My boyfriend wants to be a stay at home dad lol. It's actually kinda cute and admirable. I'd probably expect him to do the washing and some meals but not to do literally all the housework. As that is unrealistic. He's a pretty good cook so it would be nice to eat more of his home made dinners
 Tech30
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2018 8:43:39 AM
My boyfriend wants to be a stay at home dad lol. It's actually kinda cute and admirable. I'd probably expect him to do the washing and some meals but not to do literally all the housework. As that is unrealistic. He's a pretty good cook so it would be nice to eat more of his home made dinners

Stay at home and work or just stay at home? How is that admirable if its the latter?

Me and my wife are trying to move to jobs where we can work from home. I'll be hopefully starting a business in which i can work from anywhere as long as I have internet and a laptop. I hate commuting and renting or buying a place around may work is crazy expensive. I want to move somehwere where the costs are lower and i dont have to commute hours each way.
 Great7Girl77
Msg: 168
Posted: 10/18/2018 9:09:23 AM
Hey Tech,

So she is not your wife? A few month ago you referred to her as your GF, a week or two ago she was your fiancee and now she is your wife? A bit too fast but congrats!

Stay at home boyfriend? As long as he works from home and does house chores, that would be fine. As long as I am not the only one breadwinner in the family and he contributes financially as well.
 Great7Girl77
Msg: 169
Posted: 10/18/2018 9:10:21 AM
I meant to say she is now your wife. Fast fingers, lol
 Tech30
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2018 9:16:51 AM
Yes we were married last Saturday.
I have referred to her as my GF many many times even when she was my fiance out of habit.

https://imgur.com/kKahHRN
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2018 9:21:50 PM
Update:

Kicking him out, and breaking up with him was the best thing I could have done. He has finally been forced to stand on his own two feet. And although he does falter, and continually screw up his finances, he now has his own small place, after mooching off of family for years.
We are still friends, I've known him for almost 40 years.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ladies, would you want a stay-at-home boyfriend?