Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How much time do you spend texting before meeting?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 26
How much time do you spend texting before barfing?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
"little paper wads",
Didn't wad them, folded them, very small, placed the fold over a rubber band, aimed for a spot on the ceiling, half way point between me and the intended receiver. Let'er fly.
IF teacher caught eye sight of flying paper, no way to tell where from.

LOL Oh to be a kid again!

OT, The key here is to find the one person, who chooses to communicate, in words, in the method, available to both parties. Preferred by both, in a time frame appropriate to both.

LOL There is a needle with a voice in the haystack somewhere!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 27
view profile
History
How much time do you spend texting before meeting?
Posted: 7/30/2016 10:31:02 AM

Actually we started talking on Wednesday, he even called and we talked on the phone, we agreed that day we'd meet Monday then Monday came and he cancelled saying he was hot and tired from playing baseball all weekend, it seemed like a valid excuse at the time, when he cancelled he did say we'd still meet up this week, but by Thursday I knew it wasn't happening.

That wasn't a valid excuse as being The reason. I could only seeing it Add to it, where he already didn't feel like squeezing it in. Golf & baseball isn't exactly taxing. If he truly wanted to see you (but it'd still be a BS excuse as The reason) -- he would have set up another one On Monday. Since he wasn't compelled to -- that's your loud signal he's not interested in meeting. Of course, that's not weeks -- that's just Wed - Mon, less than a week. I would have been like, "Okay, just hit me up to let me know when a good day/evening would be good for you in the near future," and Not chase him at all (and consider it likely in the dust).
 south_city
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/30/2016 1:37:53 PM

1-2 weeks and that's it. Don't waste your time, you're not looking for penpals

That's my general guideline. But it's not an iron clad rule. Sometimes people can be on vacation ( or are going through a busy stretch in their life ) but are willing to go out on a date / meeting when they become available. For example a person might say "I'm not available for the next 2 weeks However I do have some free time to go out with you the following week."
 green0eye0girl
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/31/2016 6:04:30 AM

That wasn't a valid excuse as being The reason. I could only seeing it Add to it, where he already didn't feel like squeezing it in. Golf & baseball isn't exactly taxing. If he truly wanted to see you (but it'd still be a BS excuse as The reason) -- he would have set up another one On Monday. Since he wasn't compelled to -- that's your loud signal he's not interested in meeting.

He played 2 games of baseball, he's on a team of some sorts, guess it's old guys who wish they made it to the big league...LOL and it was 100 degrees that day. But you are right if he wanted to meet he would have, we weren't doing anything more then just sitting in an air conditioned dunkin donuts...the coffee should have perked his tired butt up.

Like I said before but didn't go into great detail he had been hitting me up several times over the last 9 months, and I flat out told him I wasn't interested, I get the feeling he's not use to getting rejected especially when he dates "fat girls" he's a good looking guy with a great body and he's got a good career etc. I think the chase was the fun part.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2016 10:14:11 AM

Like I said before but didn't go into great detail he had been hitting me up several times over the last 9 months, and I flat out told him I wasn't interested

9 months - wow. So this wasn't just a Wed - Mon thing where you found out things fell thru -- you have been bantering on and off for 9 months? But to be fair, if it was a once-in-a-great-while thing and you have rejected him before, but he hits you up again on Wed and you concede to meet him -- and he fizzles it on Mon, it's not the worst thing in the world. After all, he was a guy you weren't interested in meeting months ago. And due to that, I think at the end of the day, he's not going to take it too seriously after being rejected where you're not out of his league or anything.

he's a good looking guy with a great body and he's got a good career etc. I think the chase was the fun part.

If he's got a great body, then he wasn't dying in pain nor drained beyond belief after being out playing 2 games of baseball in the heat. I could see if it was a Sunday evening date and he played 1 on Sat, and 1 Sun afternoon and he was drained from sunburn and moving all around and would Want it on Monday instead. Basically his thing was "I played two rounds of golf this weekend, and it was really hot outside as you know. I'm too drained to meet up with you on Monday." Poor reason.

I think it's "redeeming" to chase someone who rejected you when you think you can garner their interest. Yeah, that was probably the real ball he was trying to catch to find satisfaction.
 green0eye0girl
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/31/2016 2:19:24 PM
Well he was rejected for being a jerk, long story short he messaged me several times in November, his profile said he thought smoking was a turnoff and he lived an hour away. After his 3rd message I figured I'll just tell him why I'm not interested. He said the smoking didn't bother him, just don't smoke around him and distance wasn't an issue. I said I smoke all the time, I'm not quitting. He said he had something healthy for me to smoke. I said you won't get far talking to woman like that no wonder you're single, his reply....says the fat girl who smokes and has an attitude. So there went that, I probably messaged back f*** Off :D

Months later he messaged me on a new account and new location, I didn't realize it was the same guy, once he told me his name I thought it maybe him, but the location was different, further in the conversation he said he worked in one location and lived in another, that's when I figured out it was him. I confronted and he denied, which made him a jerk and a liar. A month later he messaged me on a new site I was on, I blew him off. Fourth time he apologized for being a jerk and we started talking again.

I tend to spend a lot of time dwelling on stupid things and men who aren't worth worrying about, I know I know I'm an idiot.
 Chromis1
Msg: 32
view profile
History
How much time do you spend texting before barfing?
Posted: 7/31/2016 5:10:47 PM
I have never, ever, texted a woman before meeting. 2 - 3 email exchanges, I'd ask for her number, I'd call, I'd ask for a date. I can't understand why a man would take any other route.

Maybe because I'm old, and old-fashioned.
 green0eye0girl
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/1/2016 4:10:20 AM

Don't let yourself get desperate, Green. You're not an idiot, you're just lonely, and it's natural. You deserve better. Patience, patience, patience... ;-)

Thanks Wherefore....I have since deleted and blocked his number. He obviously just liked that chase....game over :D
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 10:36:04 AM
Talk online or text for a few days....then meet. No more.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 11:11:14 AM

Talk online or text for a few days....then meet. No more.

I agree. After conversing has been established, throwing out the option to meat up. Letting it drag on before considering meeting solves nothing.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 12:51:42 PM
I now tell them I prefer not to text. Texting is for communicating with someone you already know, and have a relationship with, imo.

Have been getting daily in-box messages from a guy here for over a month.

It seemed promising, at first. But, I don't want to hear how your work day was or what you had for dinner day in and day out for weeks on end. So, even though I found him appealing initially, I'm no longer responding, as I feel I have been pen-pal zoned.

Sh*t or get off the pot.
 illinigirl2168
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 4:13:04 PM
Cinnamon Girl is spot on.
This texting crap is ridiculous, as are the people who message for a year like were old friends, but have zero intention of actual dates in person. You learn to weed them out pretty fast with .."my number is xxx-xxxx..call me, my name is "X"
It works well.

I got SO tired of he constant typing/texting/getting texts at all hours from 8 different people and adding their names so I'd know who the hell it was..I couldn't take it anymore. When I met the one who is my boyfriend now (after like 80 dates, so don't give up POF'ers!). After two pof messages, I immediately typed "I prefer you call instead of text" and then put my name and number..he liked it, but admitted his friends thought it was "weird". He called within 10 minutes.

MY god, seriously? That what it has come to? That calling someone instead of lame ass texting is considered WEIRD?

Sad.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/6/2016 5:44:02 PM
^^^
I switched from Apple to Android.

Bummer.

I have to login to the Verizon site so I can block up to 5 numbers free. Cost more after that.

On the Apple, blocking is free but you can only block up to ~ 250-300 contacts.

It took awhile, but I did reach that upper limit.

I'd just start unblocking the oldest numbers to make room for the new.

Being asked to explain my divorce via text before a 1st date just didn't seem fair :(

Might as well have text her the judgment as a .pdf file...
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/6/2016 6:16:43 PM
A common response to a suggestion of meeting in real life is "I'm not ready".

Has anyone ever met someone who had claimed they're not ready? Wise people don't contact the "not ready" person anymore, and it's probably rare for the "not ready" person to initiate more communication. People who give a chance to the "not ready" person probably don't experience the "not ready" person becoming ready. Most likely the "not ready" person is a time vampire.

"Not ready" also gets claimed in messages within online dating sites when the assertive person suggests taking communication away from the dating site.

One annoying thing about texting is when the other person makes a worthless reply, for example "OK" or "Cool". Say something profound so there's no regret / resentment.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 6:22:42 PM

I now tell them I prefer not to text. Texting is for communicating with someone you already know, and have a relationship with, imo.

When you read & write messages on here to someone -- that is texting someone. Therefore, I think it's more the opposite. Texting is something you do with someone you're getting to know, as texting=private typing messages... and going on the phone can be something to do before a true Date if you never knew them IRL, but for the most part, it's something one will want to regularly if/when you're on the path of becoming an item.

Have been getting daily in-box messages from a guy here for over a month. .... Sh*t or get off the pot.

Oh, I agree. You don't want to be text communicating all the time without relatively soon after bantering setting up a meetup in the near future -- whether it be via text or voice.
 illinigirl2168
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 6:24:29 PM
Clooney, I have a flip phone, so you can imagine how difficult it was for me to text!!

I would dislike it regardless..the point is to meet, not type..and I prefer to live life looking at the screen of life, hence the flip phone;)

and what? Being asked to explain your divorce BEFORE a first date? wtf?

Doesn't anyone have a sense of adventure anymore and just go have fun? And if it's not a romantic connection, so be it? Wow, must suck to live like that.
 scorpioinOregon
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/6/2016 11:09:41 PM
I don't spend any time texting before I meet someone. The guy I am seeing now doesn't even have a cell phone so we don't text at all and I am glad.

I message on here for a couple of messages, then move to a hotmail account I only use for OLD. If they want to talk on the phone, I ask them for their number and I call them from my land line which comes up as private number. I set up a time to meet, and if they can't meet during the days and time I suggest, I tell him to pick a day and time.

I'm only here for forums right now, but using my blocked landline has worked for years. I've been here longer than my profile dates shows, because when I was in relationships, I deleted my account.

I know a lot of people only have cell phones, but you can dial *67 and block the number. Saying "I don't text" has worked just fine for me. If we become exclusive, they can have my call phone number.
 south_city
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/7/2016 7:09:06 AM

I know a lot of people only have cell phones, but you can dial *67 and block the number. Saying "I don't text" has worked just fine for me. If we become exclusive, they can have my call phone number.

I don't like one sided situations when someone has my number. But I don't have theirs. I don't answer calls from blocked numbers. I also like to exchange numbers before going out on a date / meeting in case someone is late, has to postpone, or there is a last minute change of plans. A person can get a cheap prepaid cell phone if they don't want to give their number.

I message on here for a couple of messages, then move to a hotmail account I only use for OLD.

I don't think using a personal email account is that much different than texting.
 Verissa
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/7/2016 7:49:59 PM
I don't know if there is an actual timeline. I guess it's easy for me, I use to write letters (actual pen and paper/snail mail stuff) with or pals for years. I met someone on here and the conversation flowed like water...it was great. We texted and emailed, chatted daily, it was one of the best parts of my wind down after the kids were in bed...one to two messages a day. Life stories, every day stuff, advice, jokes, it was great; it was not all ' friend zone' stuff, casual flirtation nothing too intense, but we built a great friendship. Meeting was good, it took almost a year to get there. We got along wonderfully. Now sadly in this case he turned out to be married, but had he not been it could have been great. I'm never in a hurry to meet anyone really. I like building rapport and seeing if there is any reason to meet, some people don't, well most don't I find.
 Maleman999
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/8/2016 8:13:00 AM

I met someone on here and the conversation flowed like water...it was great. We texted and emailed, chatted daily...Meeting was good, it took almost a year to get there. We got along wonderfully. Now sadly in this case he turned out to be married,

Reason number 948658 why not to waste so much time hiding behind a screen and meet in person asap, unless two people agree to be nothing more than pen pals, with the possibility of never meeting in person.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2016 11:38:47 AM

I have never, ever, texted a woman before meeting. 2 - 3 email exchanges, I'd ask for her number, I'd call, I'd ask for a date. I can't understand why a man would take any other route.

Not every gal wants to talk on the phone with someone they never met before, if to meet for the first time is right around the corner.

I don't like one sided situations when someone has my number. But I don't have theirs. I don't answer calls from blocked numbers. I also like to exchange numbers before going out on a date / meeting in case someone is late, has to postpone, or there is a last minute change of plans.

I agree. First clue should be that such approaches aren't the norm, and one has to ask themselves if they're too shaken over a bad OLD situation, where doing the private-hiding thing will end up not working in their favor.

A person can get a cheap prepaid cell phone if they don't want to give their number.

Yeah, having a spare disposable/backup phone isn't expensive and not a bad idea to have. Utilizing that if one's timid about the OLD scene is fitting.

I don't think using a personal email account is that much different than texting.

I agree. Also IMO, talking on the phone shouldn't be some really desired thing unless you two are bantering really well and can't meet in the near short-term. Obviously though, if you can't meet for too long -- then it's not a good idea altogether.......

Reason number 948658 why not to waste so much time hiding behind a screen and meet in person asap, unless two people agree to be nothing more than pen pals, with the possibility of never meeting in person.

.... exactly. When motivated by the dating world, pen-paling is a waste of time.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/8/2016 11:47:48 AM

throwing out the option to meat up.

Is that chicken, beef, or pork?
 Chromis1
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2016 1:23:16 PM

Not every gal wants to talk on the phone with someone they never met before, if to meet for the first time is right around the corner.

Call vs. text. You didn't understand the issue. And in my age bracket and in my experience the big majority want to hear your voice before they decide to meet. Your experience has been different???
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2016 8:03:16 AM

Call vs. text. You didn't understand the issue.

I fully understood it. You'd specifically call her when getting her #. I said not every gal wants to talk on the phone with someone they never met before, if meeting/get-together is right around the corner.

And in my age bracket and in my experience the big majority want to hear your voice before they decide to meet. Your experience has been different???

Yep, it has. And I'm not talking about 20-somethings either. Heck, around 10 years ago in my 20s I'd be fraternizing with gals in their 30s all the time. Calling on the phone was more prevalent for gals in their 40s, but not every time. Altogether talking on the phone was about a gal living a bit ways away, or in the unfortunate case of wanting to pen-pal first.

All in all, especially today when people are using their phones for POF/Match/OKC/etc, the site messages Is texting -- and a # exchange is done for a more solid connection to do so, plus in-case-sh!t-happens getting in the way of the date, to give a call. The calling's usually desired after things start to pick up in the actual dating. But even then -- many are busy and just want to text for the most part, and leave most the voice talking to in-person. And if anything, way too much texting - lol.
 PandaPoop7
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/9/2016 6:48:57 PM
i agree with what everyone has said so far you know what i mean yes you do ddd
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How much time do you spend texting before meeting?