Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > military scam. Really?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 26
military scam. Really?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I hope that Peppermint gal doesn't join the same thread as Cinnamon.

Too much scent for one thread...
 LuvFishes
Msg: 27
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/20/2016 1:56:24 PM
OP this doesn't surprise me. I am curious, are you being sarcastically laughing at her being gullible? Then another thought struck me, be careful you may find yourself trying to help her and be the victim!

There are quite a few males profiles claiming military interest etc... A savvy, online dater should be able to determine their intentions pretty quick. It's sad that people are so lonely, some desperate, want to be in love they create a relationship out of thin air. My boss has a sibling that they are constantly trying to keep her out of danger from online predators. I have seen the toll it has on this family sigh...

Again, I hope you told her to not be so trusting and NEVER LEND, BORROW OR GIVE MONEY TO STRANGER who claims to be her significant other. Unless you have money to throw away, you have verified a true need.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 28
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/21/2016 11:22:55 AM
WhereforeAndWhyNot-

Sorry, dude!

Your handle makes me think of mixed-up Shakespeare lines every time I see it.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 29
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/21/2016 5:30:56 PM
It does beggar belief when women give cash to a man they have never met but who has wooed and won them with words that they desperate need to hear and via cyberspace. There are warnings out there all the time and you would think that mid life women would be a bit more savvy. A military guy would have the support of his company to get home if he needed to, for instance. I guess some women are just not very bright, is all I can surmise. I can understand it more when the scammer has met the woman and a lot of pillow talk goes on before she hands over any cash. They often bide their time, get friendly with the family and friends and then perpetuate the scam...

Be careful she does not cry "poor me" and hit you up for cash.
 HereComesYourSun
Msg: 30
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/24/2016 8:56:16 PM
I'd like to think I would NEVER fall for something like this.
But there's always a new con in the works someplace, I suppose.

I gotta say, if a man I met online asked me for money, he'd hear crickets chirping.

Good to know to take my purse with me to the bathroom/when I leave the table. Didn't think someone would have the nerve to go in it and steal my cc number...but it is a debit card with controlled limited amounts, but still!
 ebolakitty
Msg: 31
Military Scam. Really?
Posted: 8/26/2016 5:26:58 PM

Just ask them what is their MOS or when are they PCSing to their next duty station

Not quite foolproof. In the Navy, I would have understood PCS but not MOS. We had ratings and designators. I didn't know what MOS was until I made friends with a marine shipboard. Main thing is that military men don't usually have to beg for travel money.

I support our troops

Not accusing ndm here but I hear this most often from people eager to send them to their deaths in foreign lands. Disgusting.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 32
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/26/2016 9:35:00 PM
another thing it also beggars belief that women will give these strangers online, who they have not video chatted with, heard a voice on the phone, their home address so that they can receive the flowers etc. I guess the fact that the scams continue is testimony to the fact that people continue to be gullible, stupid or just plain lonely enough to fall for it all. Of course not everyone is playing with a full deck, I realise that. When the elderly are targets of course that is the lowest of the low.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 33
military scam. Really?
Posted: 8/28/2016 10:39:17 PM

Good to know to take my purse with me to the bathroom/when I leave the table. Didn't think someone would have the nerve to go in it and steal my cc number...but it is a debit card with controlled limited amounts, but still!

Just to be clear - in my case it was a man I'd been dating for weeks, not that I left my purse with some stranger on a coffee meet.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Just another dating scam, this one, Russian
Posted: 8/29/2016 12:56:03 PM
On another forum 5 years ago, I became just friends with a nice guy from Canada. Sometimes I’d talk to guys with no intentions other than relieving the remote/loneliness. This nice guy lived way out where the closest town to get much of anything was 1 ½ hours away. Basically, there were no women in any near vicinity for him to date. I felt so sorry for him. He was an ‘ice truck driver’, he drove over frozen lakes to deliver supplies to the diamond mind up there in Canada. I learned a lot about Canada just from talking with him, I’m glad I have those memories.

At one point, he talked about how he was chatting and writing to a woman from Russia. He himself spoke enough Russian to be able to converse. This went on for 3 months, he so much wanted a woman to move to the area he lived. I know he sent “her” small amounts of money, to help “her” with some education expenses. I winced, and warned him about ‘scams’ and that this woman might likely be a man. I couldn’t change his mind. Eventually, he connected with a younger women locally who was 15 years younger and smoked a chimney. After several months of not hearing from him, I heard he married her. I knew he was having some heart problems. He drifted away a few years ago, haven’t heard from him since.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 35
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 9/5/2016 7:32:09 PM
My ex husband is a perpetual victim of scammers. It must be a mental illness.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 36
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/6/2016 3:04:09 AM
There's a sucker born every minute.
 Seki1949
Msg: 37
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/6/2016 7:38:47 AM
" ...in my case it was a man I'd been dating for weeks... "

Flabbergasting!

On another post, I did Google diamond mines in Canada as I didn't think that Canada produced any diamonds. It does but the industry is recent around 2003 so the story checks out.

Google, your friend against scammers, but also, alas, the scammers ally.
 AGentlewoman
Msg: 38
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/6/2016 2:57:35 PM
Ohhhhhh, so that's why I see some of the guys talk about no women from a foreign country or who ask for money on POF.

Geez...that really makes it tough for women who are honest. Crazy!!! Oh and I picked up on the military scam as well on another site a couple of years ago.

Don't give up yet. I am new here...and am one of the honest ones. :)
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 39
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/11/2016 12:20:03 PM
I had such a funny one today that I want to share.

I knew it was yet another scammer just from the poor writing. They tend to say the same things, 'ya know? Message says his name is Fredrick and then all the usual baloney, including his yahoo address. But the funny part was "his" profile was actually a woman in her 60's. I guess the scammer works both genders? I had a little fun with him and then reported him.

I do feel badly for the woman whose image and profile he stole.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 40
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/11/2016 3:41:33 PM

On another post, I did Google diamond mines in Canada as I didn't think that Canada produced any diamonds. It does but the industry is recent around 2003 so the story checks out.

Canada is the 3rd largest producer of diamonds in the world http://geology.com/articles/canada-diamond-mines/

Security is really tight at the mines. My chat friend was instructed to stay inside his truck cab when he made deliveries. They had other employees to unload his large diesel truck. They didn't want any driver picking up 'rock' and dropping it in their pockets.

Look at the picture of the open pit Diavik Diamond Mine... it is on a island in the middle of a lake. The lake freezes over during Winter, that's when the 'ice truck drivers' drive across the frozen lake to make deliveries. They get deliveries only during the winter, they have to take in enough materials, supplies and food, to last the rest of the year when the lake is melted. Quite interesting.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 41
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/11/2016 5:00:47 PM
We know that men often think with their smaller heads and can be taken for a ride. Women will play on that. However I still dont get that someone can be taken in and hoodwinked with someone they have not even met!!!. I guess as they say, it is all projection and we just live out our own fantasies and can just be a victim of wishful thinking. Men will play on women's sympathies and wanting to be the nice gal and yes, a need for affection which is only human.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 42
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/12/2016 3:40:36 AM
These target women much more often than men. Men seem more culturally alert to being looked at as ATMs.

But it's not like there are no red flags: POF says it right up front, and often: "If anyone asks you for money, it's a scam."

Warnings:

-don't loan money
-don't order things for people (foreign cheques can come back after months!)
-don't take a check and refund money on it
-use a reverse image search to find out who else claims to be that photo
-don't stick around when offered business opportunities or get-rich-quick scams
-don't go to any website you get pointed to to communicate, or download any software someone asks you to.
(especially web addresses ending in a code number, like thatsite.domain/WX34J!kk882 - that means they're getting a commission for sending you there!)

I hope others will add tot he warning pile.
ED BEAR
 Shewymacfee
Msg: 43
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/19/2016 9:32:38 AM
Detecting scammers and indeed getting a successful conviction is actually getting easier, you will never stamp it out completely as the scammers do change their sign ins etc and join up after being banned.

They often use ip changing software to attempt to hide where they come from, but this is now detectable.

This software can and does show the scammers internet provider, the home address of where the the computer is etc.
If the scammer is using an internet cafe, the software shows if this person has signed into emails, dating sites etc that has proved to be used by this scammer and their connection is cut, the software also does the same as a reverse image search but also has a massive database of images used in scams, this only shows that this member has something to hide (used an image of someone else)

As said above Scammers will not go away, but if we can't get a conviction. we can make life difficult for them to continue.

New scam software is at the moment under development, hopefully sites like this will use it to deter these cretins.
But all of this does not help the phone scams, mail scams etc.
All you can really do here is educate yourself about the different scams, If it seems too good to be true, it normally is.
 boatbob2q
Msg: 44
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 9/20/2016 4:34:55 PM
This is a face book scam,a lady??? named Lynn Bryan,from Australia,emailed me at least 20 times,to hear her tell it,she fell in love with me on facebook,very cute (im an old grouch) I knew it was coming,sure enough after about 1- 1/2 months of emails, she asked me for $8,500 to get her antiques off of the boat,I kept her going,told her I went to the bank,bank said no,I used every trick in the book,about why I couldnt loan her the money,Then she said " you dont love me" (I never said I did check her out on facebook,just remember,shes a lying scammer. SO,boo hoo,she dumped me ..........
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 45
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 9/20/2016 5:26:32 PM
blacklady
Are any of these scammers, hot women by any chance or purport to be? Men often think with their smaller heads and some of these operators know how to get them to open their wallets, for sure..
 Ed Bear
Msg: 46
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/4/2016 7:52:43 AM
Hey, I just got my first romance scam proposition! I was feeling so unloved, with so many women I know telling me how much fun they had trolling scammers!

This lady used old, recognizable profile photos from PoF, and said she lived in Nanaimo but worked at Vancouver General Hospital - three hours and a ferry ride each way unless you can afford the helijet service. Oh, and of course she is on a temporary assignment in Cape Town but will be coming back soon and is dying to meet me. And her profile vanished from PoF the minute she got an E-mail from one of my burner accounts.

She's just asked me to phone her at a Nanaimo number, which she says she roams to the Republic of South Africa. Gonna have to go pop that balloon; when I log off, I'll send her a photo of myself in front of a screen showing her E-mail sent yesterday. And ask her for a new one of her. :)
ED BEAR
(And yes, I do purge photo meta-data and make sure there's nothing revealing on the screen.)
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 47
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/4/2016 9:46:47 AM
Ed,

Congratulations! Everyone needs to see a message once in awhile. :)

Another poster on here had a brilliant way of responding to a scammer. His recommendation was to keep a previous scammer's email address on hand. Then when a new scammer message came in and asked to supply his personal email he would use the previous scammer's email address. I just got another scammer message today and I am saving his posted email address for the next one who asks for my email so we can "get to know each other better".
 hemingway234
Msg: 48
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 8:43:51 AM
Was that hockey guy the one with the bloody pic? I remember him.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 49
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 9:15:39 AM

His recommendation was to keep a previous scammer's email address on hand. Then when a new scammer message came in and asked to supply his personal email he would use the previous scammer's email address. I just got another scammer message today and I am saving his posted email address for the next one who asks for my email so we can "get to know each other better".

What a fabulous idea! I've received a bunch of these scam emails with offline email addresses lately. Usually I just block and move on. Looks like I'm missing out on some fun.
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 50
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 9:37:42 AM
^^^

You don't even need to wait to get an offline email address! Just goggle search dating scammer email address and take your pick.

The scammers are very active for some reason. I had three just this morning. I told them my name is Lola and gave them a lola scammer address. Scammer will then try and scam the other scammer?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > military scam. Really?