Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > military scam. Really?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 45
view profile
History
follow upPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
blacklady
Are any of these scammers, hot women by any chance or purport to be? Men often think with their smaller heads and some of these operators know how to get them to open their wallets, for sure..
 Ed Bear
Msg: 46
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/4/2016 7:52:43 AM
Hey, I just got my first romance scam proposition! I was feeling so unloved, with so many women I know telling me how much fun they had trolling scammers!

This lady used old, recognizable profile photos from PoF, and said she lived in Nanaimo but worked at Vancouver General Hospital - three hours and a ferry ride each way unless you can afford the helijet service. Oh, and of course she is on a temporary assignment in Cape Town but will be coming back soon and is dying to meet me. And her profile vanished from PoF the minute she got an E-mail from one of my burner accounts.

She's just asked me to phone her at a Nanaimo number, which she says she roams to the Republic of South Africa. Gonna have to go pop that balloon; when I log off, I'll send her a photo of myself in front of a screen showing her E-mail sent yesterday. And ask her for a new one of her. :)
ED BEAR
(And yes, I do purge photo meta-data and make sure there's nothing revealing on the screen.)
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 47
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/4/2016 9:46:47 AM
Ed,

Congratulations! Everyone needs to see a message once in awhile. :)

Another poster on here had a brilliant way of responding to a scammer. His recommendation was to keep a previous scammer's email address on hand. Then when a new scammer message came in and asked to supply his personal email he would use the previous scammer's email address. I just got another scammer message today and I am saving his posted email address for the next one who asks for my email so we can "get to know each other better".
 hemingway234
Msg: 48
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 8:43:51 AM
Was that hockey guy the one with the bloody pic? I remember him.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 49
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 9:15:39 AM

His recommendation was to keep a previous scammer's email address on hand. Then when a new scammer message came in and asked to supply his personal email he would use the previous scammer's email address. I just got another scammer message today and I am saving his posted email address for the next one who asks for my email so we can "get to know each other better".

What a fabulous idea! I've received a bunch of these scam emails with offline email addresses lately. Usually I just block and move on. Looks like I'm missing out on some fun.
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 50
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 9:37:42 AM
^^^

You don't even need to wait to get an offline email address! Just goggle search dating scammer email address and take your pick.

The scammers are very active for some reason. I had three just this morning. I told them my name is Lola and gave them a lola scammer address. Scammer will then try and scam the other scammer?
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 51
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 9:47:24 AM

The scammers are very active for some reason.

We've entered the official holiday season.

While I try to maintain some hope of meeting someone real from OLD, I've learned in Pavlovian manner to not even get excited when I get that "You've got mail" notification. The scammer emails are running around 2:1 and even the 1 is only 'real' in the sense that they're not a scam. They're otherwise way too old or too far away and just spamming everything female.
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 52
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 10:01:49 AM
^^^
I am seeing the same ratio of scam versus "real" messages.

My theory is our age group - 50 plus? I would be curious to hear if women under, let's say 40, have the same experiences with scammers?
 Seki1949
Msg: 53
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/5/2016 11:03:24 PM

They're otherwise way too old or too far away...

Well, other than THAT what is the problem?
 Ed Bear
Msg: 54
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/6/2016 6:19:29 AM
Ooh, IReallyShouldn't - I love that idea! Thank whoever came up with it for me!

Alas, as I've only ever gotten one spamscam, I don't see being able to use it any time soon. :(

Of course, they usually have burner E-mail addresses (just like the ones we use to reply to them) so there's no point siccing someone else on them.

Finale: I sent the scammer a photo of myself sitting in front of a computer screen clearly displaying "her" most recent message (with all identifying information either cropped out or GIMPed over), and asked her to do the same. I got a one-paragraph reply saying it was so sad that I was such a jerk and trying to "mess with her head."

All they had to do was send a new photo that wasn't taken from PoF and I'd have been nice and happy to find a real person; I've used this method in the past to reassure people who wondered if I was really the person they were looking at. I recommend it, but be careful of what's on the screen. And, of course, save the shot without its EXIF meta-data or identifying comments; any photo editor can do this. Usually, it's in the SAVE AS options.
ED BEAR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 55
view profile
History
follow up
Posted: 11/6/2016 11:52:16 PM
IReallyShouldnt

that is a fabulous idea.
 moonbeamlover1
Msg: 56
military scam. Really?
Posted: 11/22/2016 7:32:59 AM
Scammers are successful because they are incredibly good at sniffing out people's yearnings and vulnerabilities. People believe what they want to believe... even if they would recognize with anyone else there are many huge red flags.

The military is obvious but it's used for softening people on the whole.

I will confess though having gone massively off on one particular guy who introduced himself with his name rank where deployed and how long he was planning to be there.

I told him I was daughter of a former lieutenant and mother of two in the army and I happened to know they would be thrown out of the military if they actually posted that stuff to strangers on social media. Massive taboo for actual military.., especially now with soldiers being targeted for real.

Someone using the military to score dates and money to a mother of two actual serving soldiers?

I am not usually angry... my Irish part is tempered by the Norwegian but in this case I wanted to deck the guy.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 57
view profile
History
military scam. Really?
Posted: 11/28/2016 6:23:13 AM
The weird thing is that the women I know who got so many military scams is one who said she'd NEVER consider dating a soldier. She said she felt that military self-selection and training made for horrible people. Then the first scammer hit her, and said that his joining the military was the worst mistake he'd made in his life, and she took pity on him. Until he asked her to cash a draft and send her an iPhone.
ED BEAR
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > military scam. Really?