Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Arab woman face covered      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BlasphemousBombshell
Msg: 291
Arab woman face coveredPage 13 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

Almost all of your posts, including the fictional story you created about your worst date are strong evidence of your content for men. I am simply pointing it out.

You follow me from post to post with yet another fake account to call me a man hater, accuse me of being another poster, and all this ridiculous shit.

Any man who has the time to make THIS many fake accounts to harass strangers with has a serious freaking mental problem. Your life must be terribly pathetic that THIS Is how you choose to spend your precious time out of all the things you could be doing.

I don't know how you ended up this way. If you are ugly as hell, have a really small penis, are mentally unbalanced, are crippled and thus don't work a job so you have all day to sit on the net being a troll, etc. Your personality is herendously toxic. If you acted decently you could perhaps be laying with a woman right now, rather than sitting behind your computer screen like the pathetic, lonely, angsty male you currently are.

I'm going to block every troll account you use, because you are beneath responding to after this point. You aren't here for discussion, you only come to attempt to make people miserable, you are a bad person, and I don't associate with people incapable of acting like a human being.
 23245MODSSUCK644o2
Msg: 292
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 6:49:45 AM
Sweetheart, this board is entertainment. And yes I can multitask...respond to you and work at the same time. Whatever issues you claim I have, at least I don't make up fictional worst date stories to show my contempt for women. I enjoy spending my tlI'm castigating hateful people. So sue me.
 23245MODSSUCK644o2
Msg: 293
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 6:56:27 AM
So brains develope consciousness, sentience? For what purpose? If we simply developed from nothing, we would be less complex creatures than we are. We may be here simply to observe the universe. What would be the point if it's existence if nobody knew it was here? Regardless, I don't buy the laws of physics, the great variations in life..just developed out of nothing. I just don't buy it. I'm not religious because religions are absurd....but that doesn't mean there is not more there.
 Coma_White
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 9:04:33 AM

So brains develope consciousness, sentience? For what purpose? If we simply developed from nothing, we would be less complex creatures than we are. We may be here simply to observe the universe. What would be the point if it's existence if nobody knew it was here? Regardless, I don't buy the laws of physics, the great variations in life..just developed out of nothing. I just don't buy it. I'm not religious because religions are absurd....but that doesn't mean there is not more there.

The first part of this is incorrect. We didn't develop from "nothing", we developed from simple organisms into more complex organic life. Why would we be less complex? Evolution has been proven true with facts and evidence, and you can trace our lineage back as far as you want. There's really nothing overly complex about us. You don't have to buy the laws of physics, but they're true whether you believe in them or not. You wouldn't be using a computer, eating the food you eat, or living in a house if the laws of physics weren't constant. There are a lot of good books on evolution that can explain diversity better than I can.
 BlasphemousBombshell
Msg: 295
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 9:17:24 AM
Evolution works on the principal of mutation. If a mutation is beneficial to survival, the individual who has it will live to pass it on. The benefit of a brain is movement, the ability to go to a new food source. The ability to protect ones self from attack.

Predator species have more advanced brains because they also must discern the movement of their prey, calculate scenarios which leads to successful hunts. Humans tend to think their consciousness is very high, its not, MANY species are incredibly intelligent.
 Maleman999
Msg: 296
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 9:25:06 AM
"...we developed from simple organisms into more complex organic life."

Do you mean God did not plop Adam onto Earth from heaven, being the first fully formed human being-and where Adam decided to remove one of his own ribs just for the heck of it, without causing any permanent injury or death or knowledge of how to safely remove a rib, and the rib turned into a woman-Eve? And any kids they had kept interbreeding with brothers, sisters, and cousins to create the world's population as we know it? What a shock that anyone would dispute this (lol). It's a good thing Adam or Eve wasn't gay. Otherwise, there might be no such thing as the human race.
 bgbfmodshykissyuraz22z
Msg: 299
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 9:52:32 AM
Well Coma...we've been through this argument before. In your world, its all simple... The Universe erupted out of nothing, and than evololution took care of everything since then. The problem is that like all of us, you live in a world devoid of reality. You only perceive what you perceive. You have to open your mind to the much larger picture out there. Getting beyond the fact the quantum world establishes by science that our perceptions are not reality, some scientists say the same. Until we truly know reality, its difficult to say what caused what::

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/09/06/492779594/what-if-evolution-bred-reality-out-of-us

Look around you. What do you see?

Other people going about their business? Rooms with tables and chairs? Nature with its sky, grass and trees?

All that stuff, it's really there, right? Even if you were to disappear right now — poof! — the rest of the world would still exist in all forms you're seeing now, right?

Or would it?

This kind of metaphysical question is something you'd expect in a good philosophy class — or maybe even a discussion of quantum physics. But most of us wouldn't expect an argument denying the reality of the objective world to come out of evolutionary biology. After all, doesn't evolution tell us we've been tuned to reality by billions of years of natural selection? It makes sense that creatures that can't tell a poisonous snake from a stick shouldn't last long and, therefore, shouldn't pass their genes on to the next generation.

That is certainly how the standard argument goes. But Donald Hoffman, a cognitive scientist, isn't buying it.

For decades, Hoffman, a professor at the University of California, Irvine, has been studying the links between evolution, perception and intelligence (both natural and machine). Based on that body of work, he thinks we've been missing something fundamental when it comes to fundamental reality.

Fundamentally, Hoffman argues, evolution and reality (the objective kind) have almost nothing to do with each other.

Hoffman's been making a lot of news in recent months with these claims. His March 2015 TED talk went viral, gaining more than 2 million views. After a friend sent me the video, I was keen to learn more. I called Dr. Hoffman, and he graciously set aside some time for us to talk. What followed was a delightful conversation with a guy who does, indeed, have a big radical idea. At the same time, Hoffman doesn't come off as someone with an ax to grind. He seems genuinely open and truly curious. At his core, Hoffman says, he's a scientist with a theory that must either live or die by data.

So, what exactly is Hoffman's big radical idea? He begins with a precisely formulated theorem:

"Given an arbitrary world and arbitrary fitness functions, an organism that sees reality as it is will never be more fit than an organism of equal complexity that sees none of reality but that is just tuned to fitness."
So let's unpack Hoffman's theorem for a moment. To paraphrase the website Understanding Evolution, "fitness" is used to describe how good a particular organism is at getting its offspring into the next generation relative to the other organisms around it. When people study evolution using mathematics or computers, they imagine there are compact ways of describing what makes an organism fit for a particular environment. That's what they mean by "fitness functions."

So imagine you have two kinds of creatures living in an environment. The first is tuned to respond directly to objective reality — the actual independent reality out there. The other creature has behavior only tuned to its, and the environment's, fitness function. The second creature couldn't care less about what's really going on in reality. What Hoffman's theorem says is the fitness-tuned critter will — almost always — win the evolution game.

To see how this works, consider an example Hoffman describes in an interview with Quanta Magazine. He begins by imagining a resource like water whose real-world quantity has been objectively ordered — very little water, medium amounts of water, lots of water. According to Hoffman, most fitness functions won't be direct responses to something like this ordering. Instead they will be like bell curves. Too little water is bad (death by desiccation), but so is too much water (death by drowning). That means evolution would tune the organism's behavior so that too little and too much water would both be bad and both generate the same kind of response (perception). Only the moderate amount of water would generate a different response. As Hoffman puts it:

" ... an organism tuned to fitness might see small and large quantities of some resource as, say, red, to indicate low fitness, whereas they might see intermediate quantities as green, to indicate high fitness. Its perceptions will be tuned to fitness, but not to truth. It won't see any distinction between small and large — it only sees red — even though such a distinction exists in reality."
To test this idea, Hoffman and collaborators have run evolutionary simulations with different kinds of fitness functions — some of those tuned to reality and some having nothing to do with reality. The non-reality functions almost always win. For Hoffman, the consequences of these studies are profound. As he told me:

"We assume the 'predicates' of perceptions — space, time, physical objects, shapes — are the right ones to describe physical reality. And this theorem says that [such] predicates are [the wrong ones] almost surely."
In other words, evolution couldn't care less if you perceive objective reality. It only wants you to have sex successfully. As a consequence, your apprehension of the world is tuned to whatever allows that to happen. Thus, your perceptions at the root level have nothing to do with some fundamental physics upon which the fundamental nature of objective independent reality is constructed.

Hoffman then builds something even more radical out of his broken link between objective reality and evolution. He calls it conscious realism, and it's based on the premise that "circuits of conscious agents" are what end up defining experienced reality. While there clearly is a world separate from us, Hoffman says, evolution does not give us access to that. Instead, he claims, it's our interactions as conscious agents that give shape to the reality we experience. "I can take separate observers," he told Quanta Magazine, "put them together and create new observers, and keep doing this ad infinitum. It's conscious agents all the way down."

This is a pretty head-spinning stuff. Our perceived reality has nothing to do with the world in and of itself? That's the kind of thing that's bound to piss off a whole lot of people in a whole lot of fields. I asked Hoffman about the reaction to his work. "All over the map," he replied. "I'm either a genius or an absolute stupid idiot. The emotions are pretty strong."

Indeed, criticisms both closely reasoned and otherwise can be found from a variety of sources. For myself, I find the logic in Hoffman's ideas both exciting and potentially appealing because of other philosophical biases I carry around in my head. Also, it's clear from the body of his work that Hoffman has been seriously attacking the problem from a range of angles for a while.

But the ideas are also so radical that I'm inclined to think they're wrong (as most ideas this radical tend to be). It's gonna take a lot of proof to tip the scales in my (and most others') view.

But that's as it should be. And what I really like about Donald Hoffman is his cheerful willingness to let the fur fly.

Let the games (evolutionary and otherwise) go on!
 Jo van
Msg: 300
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 1:47:36 PM

Evolution works on the principal of mutation.

True dat.

If a mutation is beneficial to survival, the individual who has it will live to pass it on.

That might be true, sometimes. I used to make the mistake of viewing evolution as a progression, and a series of positive 'improvements' too.
But if you think about it, sheer luck can often come into play, and the 'best', and/ or most successfully adaptive variants would always win.
But there are other factors.
EG., the dinosaurs were superbly evolved, and adapted, and successful, but then a big fvck-off meteorite wiped them all out, and all current (I think?) life-forms now, including us, are evolved from the (about) 6-7% of species that survived the 'Permian Extinction event'.
-Mostly little ratty creatures, which explains a lot!

Take 'Sickle-Cell Anemia' for example.
People with this hereditary condition can hardly be described as the "most fit".
But the condition is also associated with some immunity to Malaria, and that kills ("Fit") people, without that immunity.
It's perfectly possible for the least-well-adapted variants to be the only survivors, simply because some catastrophic event, or disease, or changes in environment, wiped out all the others.
As counter-intuitive as it might seem, Evolution isn't always a linear progression of ongoing 'improvements'.
There are far too many examples in nature of really shit 'designs', or lifeforms which can only survive in very narrow and specific environments.
And there have been many evolutionary dead-ends, and extinctions.
Eg.
The adult Mayfly has no mouth, and only survives for about a day, as it can't feed.
Mind you, that one day is a complete mating-frenzy/orgy.
So 'swings and roundabouts' there, I think.
Sorry, I'm rambling now.

Back on topic:
If ladies feel the "need" to cover their faces (or are even bullied into it, by males), I think they're 'missing a trick'.
They could all wear masks.
I think it would be really cool if ALL Muslim women wore Richard Nixon masks.
That would cheer everyone up!
Carry on.
 2ufo2
Msg: 301
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 3:17:25 PM
Permian Extinction was 250 mya while the dinosaurs went extinct 65 mya in the K-T Extinction.
Get your extinctions straight - LOL!

Also, the idea of evolution working on the principle of mutation is a bit simplistic.

Culture - as in the idea of women hiding their faces - doesn't change like evolution; usual change motivators include new technology as well as new beliefs, but must not be inimical (not merely beneficial) to the people who adopt the new culture. It really should be viewed in the context of the greater culture from where it developed. I can easily see hiding one's face in a desert-dweller where sandstorms are prevalent. Then religious beliefs grew out of the action (a modest women covers herself thoroughly) and it is now a religious belief brought to a country which has a different cultural origin. The action (wearing a head covering/face covering) will not go away until it becomes detrimental to the people who follow that stricture.

Dang! I went into ivory tower mode.
Sorry about that.

ETA: Hoffman's ideas look interesting.
 BlasphemousBombshell
Msg: 302
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 7:16:25 PM

I think it would be really cool if ALL Muslim women wore Richard Nixon masks.
That would cheer everyone up!

This was hilarious!!

As a formerly veiled woman, there are actually lots of pluses to the veil that keep women wearing them of their own volition and not just adapting it due to male pressure. But these reasons are rarely discussed because so many women in the west are hell bent on seeing the veil as strictly a sign of patriarchal subjugation. The war profiteering culture here which thrives off of lying about islamic culture doesn't help the western supremecist position. Many westerners have no idea that it was the Islamic culture that was among the first city state cultures which banned slavery, gave women the right to own property, get a divorce, receive an education, utilize birth control and vote. Much of these freedoms were utterly destroyed in the west by Christianity and were only rediscovered (along with mathematics, advanced science, etc) with the islamic cultural influence coming up through the iberian peninsula into europe.

The second anything posititive is said about islam the response of many westerners is to immediatly pretend the person is a terrorist sympathizer and hater of the west so its often not even talked about. Who wants to spend their time defending themselves from such inane claims when they intended to do deeper cultural parallel comparisons? That's why the topic is typically avoided all together, the stupidity of supremecists is tiresome to deal with...
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 303
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/3/2016 9:00:23 PM
there are actually lots of pluses to the veil that keep women wearing them of their own volition and not just adapting it due to male pressure.

I wish you'd mention them.
 Jo van
Msg: 304
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/4/2016 4:24:39 AM

there are actually lots of pluses to the veil that keep women wearing them of their own volition and not just adapting it due to male pressure.
I wish you'd mention them.

I'll give it a shot.
1/. Every day can be a BHD. - And no-one will ever know.

2/. Saves money on lipstick.

3/. Saves money on toothpaste, and/or expensive dental surgery.

3/. Allows the wearer to mouth the words "Fvcking w@nker!!", at any policeman who stops them.

4/. Veiled women are excellent ventriloquists.

5/. If you drape it over your plate, while you're shoveling food from the edge, it will keep the food warm.

6/. Instant napkin.

7/. It will act as a baffle to any burps, which COULD prevent a Tornado on the other side of the world, due to the "Butterfly effect".

8/. No need to shave every morning.

9/. Allows a wearer to chew gum, in class.

10/ Millions of veiled women have successfully robbed banks.
10a/. Makes the police 'identity parades', for the above, really, really funny.

HTH
 deetristate
Msg: 305
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/4/2016 5:23:28 AM
Are there people who think that ALL muslims are terrorists?

I have told friends that I envy not having to worry what your hair looks like when wearing a scarf daily. A veil is something else entirely.

Different people see the veil as an issue for different reasons.

You can't even wear a hood or a hat in banks due to the security issue.
Most hat and hoodie wearers are not criminals but that doesn't mean much.

Other reasons people don't like the influx of veils is because of recent history that shows that once there are a certain number of "you must wear veils and women should not be educated" types, it becomes a problem for those who did not participate in it and harassment and worse occur.
See parts of London, areas of Germany and whole swaths of countries. My relatives(in laws- by cousins) speak of how free the women were under Saddam and now in certain areas they can't go out alone let alone not wear a veil.

OK. Ready for the denials and 'well, Christianity blah, blah. . "

Interesting is life, and how some find Seinfeld unkindness alluring. But I digress. .
 cotter
Msg: 306
view profile
History
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/4/2016 9:09:06 AM
Message 315 ...
You can't even wear a hood or a hat in banks due to the security issue.

If all bank robbers were little old ladies, then the security guards at banks would probably suspect all little old ladies as they walked in the bank ... eh?

I'm honestly not sure why people feel they have to leave a hood up on their jacket when inside a climate-controlled area ... it's rude.

If they just came in from the rain or cold, then slip it off ... no rain or cold in the bank, just us normal people who want to conduct our business peacefully. If they're having a bad hair day ... so what? It's not like they'll ever see any of those people again. Who cares?

On the other hand, I also consider it rude to leave baseball caps on while eating at the dinner table ... whether at home or in a restaurant. It's not like you have be concerned that a bird will take a crap on your head or something like that ... right?

Most hat and hoodie wearers are not criminals but that doesn't mean much.

Just another shining example of how the actions of a few can affect millions?
 2ufo2
Msg: 307
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/4/2016 10:18:34 AM
<
Many westerners have no idea that it was the Islamic culture that was among the first city state cultures which banned slavery, gave women the right to own property, get a divorce, receive an education, utilize birth control and vote. Much of these freedoms were utterly destroyed in the west by Christianity and were only rediscovered (along with mathematics, advanced science, etc) with the islamic cultural influence coming up through the iberian peninsula into europe.

Correction -- most of those freedoms were pre-Islamic and, at the end for the Abbasad era (800-1300 common year or about 200 years after the founding of Islam), these freedoms you mention began decaying with the ascendency of religious teaching over the scholarship of science. Which is why a murderer can cite 'he offended me' in court and be released with no punishment.

Of course, the Mongol invasion and sacking of Bagdhad in 1250 or so probably didn't help.

EDIT: FWIW, I've worn a chador when circumstances dictated and I did enjoy the anonymity it provided. It was also cooler during the day and warmer in the evening. I wore it when it was culturally appropriate as I wore a scarf over my head each time I'd visit a Catholic Church. Both out of respect since I'm neither Muslim nor Catholic.
 Vannili
Msg: 308
view profile
History
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/7/2016 10:51:17 PM
Oh I am glad that the argument is back on the track. it was derailed for a while.. Well, I will eat my words about this Arab women face covered.. I will wear face veil when I go to the night club, it has nothing to do with saving money on makeup, toothbrush and toothpaste or being ashame of my scantily clad attire..It has something to do with being afraid that one or three POF forumites would see me and think that I am a bad Belly Dancer with a fat azz..And it will become a heated argument and I will never hear the end of it here in the forum.. Ahhh, maybe if I still have some energy after doing the Belly dancing ,I will rub a few banks and the police will never recognize me...
 memtoosaysmodssuck
Msg: 309
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/10/2016 7:18:21 AM
The threads are always hijacked..usually b y taking them in a more interesting direction. Besides this was a non issue from the start. The law says women can cover their faces if they choose to, especially based on religious pricipals. Nothing you can do about it, and you shouldn't be able to do anything about it.
 memtoosaysmodssuck
Msg: 310
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/10/2016 7:20:05 AM
And I would like to see any statute that prevents a woman who enters a bank from covering her face. I'm willing to bet the person who suggested that is talking out of their are, once again. So what else is new.
 memtoosaysmodssuck
Msg: 311
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/10/2016 7:23:38 AM
BB, are you suggesting Muslims are responsible for Judeo..Christian law, the magna-carta...as adopted in the US Constitution? Really? You have any source for your revised history? I'm always willing to learn.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 312
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/10/2016 7:58:26 PM

2/. Saves money on lipstick.

3/. Saves money on toothpaste, and/or expensive dental surgery.

They NEED to save the money for the expensive nose surgery:

From the Daily Mail:

"Young women in Iran, some as young as 14, are having cosmetic surgery in the hope of attaining the Hollywood 'doll face'.

Iran has been named the nose job capital of the world - with seven times more operations carried out there than in America - despite the high cost of the surgery.

Cosmetic procedures cost five to six times the average monthly wage in Iran but according to a report in their conservative Etemad newspaper, as many as 200,000 Iranians are undergoing rhinoplasty operations every year.

The reasons behind the surgery include self-esteem and marriageability, as well as medical issues and the fact that some women in the country find the Islamic practice of the hijab so limiting when it comes to beauty.

One woman told The Guardian: 'It's human nature to want to seek out attention with a beautiful figure, hair, skin … but hijab doesn't let you do that. "
 Coma_White
Msg: 313
view profile
History
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/12/2016 6:08:34 PM

BB, are you suggesting Muslims are responsible for Judeo..Christian law, the magna-carta...as adopted in the US Constitution? Really? You have any source for your revised history? I'm always willing to learn.

I think you came to the wrong place if you're looking for sane people that provide sources for their wild claims.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 314
Arab woman face covered
Posted: 10/12/2016 6:24:01 PM

I think you came to the wrong place if you're looking for sane people that provide sources for their wild claims.

When you refer to "sane people" and "wild claims"...

Do you mean delusional stupidity like the quote below...?

If women will do the same work as men for less, companies would just hire women and save money.

Is that the kind of "wild claims" and sanity that you mean...?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Arab woman face covered