Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The Birthday Bluez      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Escape2bfree
Msg: 851
view profile
History
The Birthday Blahs...Page 35 of 40    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40)
Https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=dqTTojTija8
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 852
view profile
History
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 5:14:07 AM
^^^ I saw this video doing the rounds on Facebook and I'll point out the same flaws. The presenter attempts to compare the modern classroom education system with the modern mobile phone and the modern motor car. He says that whilst the phone has evolved from its ancient equivalent and the car has evolved from its ancient equivalent, the classroom hasn't. He's wrong in a lot of respects. The phone has remained what it is: a device for communication. Sure, it's wireless, and smaller, and has more functionality, but it's still a phone. In fact, one could now say that the smartphone with its enhanced connectivity to just about everything has created as many vices as virtues for modern man. It creates relationships and breaks relationships. It informs and misinforms. Heck, you can even set off a bomb with one. The car has remained what it is: a motorised conveyance reliant (in the main) on the same internal combustion engine it started out with. Sure, it might be prettier to some; others might argue that its styling individuality has been lost along the way. Again, its use carries as many vices as virtues. It's a potential murder machine, it has had measurable effects on air quality, and the search for fuel to run it has ravaged the planet. It's brought communities together but also spread them apart.

Yes, children are still taught in classrooms. The human race is a social animal. It makes sense to do so. It would be prohibitively expensive to teach any other way for most people. However, children have access to technology within the classroom and also more assistance. They're no longer so reliant on single text books for information. Although one could successfully argue that a lot of UK schools are teaching children what they need to pass their exams, there's still the OPPORTUNITY to learn and not just be taught. And let's not forget that education doesn't start and stop in the classroom. If the fish analogy was totally correct, we wouldn't have the individualism that exists nonetheless. The classroom is merely one of the building blocks. Parenting, society, your peers and your evolving ego does the rest. And evolution is the keyword which links the phone, the car and the classroom.
 Escape2bfree
Msg: 853
view profile
History
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 7:45:41 AM
My mobile phone is seldom used as a phone, I hate phone calls yet I'm never without my phone. It's a camera, photo album, calender, appointment diary with an alarm, alarm clock, holds all my music, gives me access to the internet, friends via fb and emailes, Google for info and a whole heap of other stuff.

No my children do not have much access to techhnology in school, unless you consider a whiteboard instead of a blackboard a major step forward. They are still expected to read books from books and write on paper even though few jobs require this. They turn their phones off on the way in or they are confiscated. Yes if your parents are good, your not in a disadvantage area and your of average academic intelligence the school system works. That caters for 50-70% what about the remaining 30-50%?

What if you have crap parents, you live in a disadvantaged area or you are below average academically (bearing in mind most people who struggle academically are intelligent in other areas beyond English , maths and science)? I believe that is what the government changes are currently about. And why funding is being put into disadvantaged areas and supporting those who's talents are not reaching their potential because of constant tests and too much pressure.

As for social side and peers, if you are at the bottom end of education your peers are predominately special needs, disadvantaged and/or criminal. Your locked into a group you can't get out of so your peers are more likely to hinder you then progress you.
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 854
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 8:06:04 AM
Do you want to know why teachers, classrooms, and especially spelling tests are important? So kids won't grow up and post meandering paragraphs full of spelling, grammatical, and logical errors.

Technology is fine for many things. It's terrible for teaching. The reason the model hasn't changed since Socrates is because everything else we've tried is worse.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 855
view profile
History
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 8:35:57 AM
This has pretty much degenerated into a gratuitous bashfest. I'll rethink what I wrote earlier...that most people here have good intentions. People sure must be bored if all they have to do is pick on some obviously needy stranger. Sure, there are some thoughtful critics of Nataly here, you know who you are, and this is not aimed at you....but come on, if all ya got is "you're lazy," or other variations thereof..... then why don' cha just stick it where the sun don't shine, please. I don't think anyone on this forum has the formal creditentials to proffer "tough love" on an internet anonymous forum, especially so harshly. May as well just yell "Jump!!!" ...So just don't write anything please...you should be able to find something to do otherwise in your own highly successful, well adjusted, problem free life. And lastly, you don't have to click on this thread...if it so irritates you, JUST DON'T CLICK ON IT...or complain to the mods. Sheesh.....
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 856
view profile
History
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 10:27:26 AM
I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect education system. A couple of generations ago, when the UK still had the tripartite state school system, children were graded by the 11 plus and the brightest went to grammar schools and techs, while the rest went to secondary moderns where boys learnt metalwork and girls home economics.

I agree that there comes a stage where inclusion doesn't work. What I wouldn't want to see is stark divisions and a return to a tripartite system which promotes educational elitism. I favour grammar schools and even a return to technical schools for those with a natural bent for science and theoretical engineering. I regret turning my place down. I won it on merit. I came from a middle class family, but we were far from being comfortably off, let alone wealthy. It's up to the government to make policy wisely and for local authorities to spend the money with some amount of non-political prudence.

I was born and bred in Kent so took and passed the Kent test (KCC's version of the 11 plus), and subsequently offered a place at Dartford Grammar. At age 10, I didn't want to learn Latin like my dad had; I wanted to be an artist and swim. The Roman Catholic Boys' Comprehensive two towns over promised a fully fitted art studio and an indoor swimming pool, so that was a no-brainer for me. Unfortunately, neither appeared. I didn't get to visit either school beforehand due to family health issues and I'd have changed my mind if I had. Although the comp was streamed and I stayed in the top stream throughout and onto A levels, I went from being in the top three in the class to the bottom three within a year. I fully attribute this to mixing with boys in the lower streams at break times and succumbing to the lowest denominator. I turned into a bit of a Nataly there. That wouldn't have happened at a grammar school, where I'd have been pushed harder. It also didn't help that the teachers were in the main disenchanted with working in a comp (think Grange Hill's Mr Bronson) or sadistic bullies fond of getting the slipper or the cane from the cupboard. Only a few of the teachers were inventive enough to be of influence.

I agree up to a point about growing up amongst families and peers who hold you to a disadvantage. However, I have learnt that there are saints and scumbags at all social levels, and it is still possible to climb out of (and into) places where one shouldn't ought to be. There are plenty of examples of people who have managed just that.
 Escape2bfree
Msg: 857
view profile
History
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 10:45:01 AM
Lol well I grew up poor in a nearby town called basildon, within the top 10 disadvantaged areas. I was lucky I had good parents and was in top sets but generally made Friends with most, including some of the tougher ones. They may not of had the brain's but they kept you safe especially when they yearly fight between the other comp school took place whereby all the boys ran out of school to invade the next school for a fight and vice versa

I scrapped through English with a c and failed maths 3 times but did go on to pass a level psychology, vrq level 3 youth work and level 3 counselling. I managed to get my butt to London and work my way up in varous admin positions imcluding accounts working on indepth spreadsheets and never once used algebra. Then i got myself out of basildon. Later returning to work there supporting others to do the same.

Our education back then did actually prepare you for life. Today it just seems to knock the stuffing out of do many, particularly boys.

Ps I've prepared many reports for meetings and written letters on a wide scale to a wide range of people. Never once did it by pen and never had poor spelling or grammar bought to my attention. I even corrected the headmistress's spelling and appaulling letter writing at my younger sons school which is a worry.
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 858
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 2:35:10 PM
Well other people are nicer than me.

You can't spell calendar, you don't know when to use your or you're, or than instead of then. Even in your three sentences defending your spelling you make two spelling errors. Sorry, three spelling errors, and one grammatical error.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 859
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:04:41 PM
^ You seem like fun!

(Could you imagine sexting with this guy?)
 gtomustang
Msg: 860
The Birthday B00bs
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:12:07 PM
you two really need to rent a (chat)room. Such a cute couple, you make me feel all form and wuzzy over the chances for romance in a couple.
 moraima
Msg: 861
view profile
History
The Birthday Blahs...
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:18:21 PM
"People sure must be bored if all they have to do is pick on some obviously needy stranger. come on, if all ya got is "you're lazy," or other variations thereof..... then why don' cha just stick it where the sun don't shine, please. I don't think anyone on this forum has the formal creditentials to proffer "tough love" on an internet anonymous forum, especially so harshly. May as well just yell "Jump!!!" ...So just don't write anything please...you should be able to find something to do otherwise in your own highly successful, well adjusted, problem free life."

Much better to enable OP and people like her. That is sure to be helpful to them.

Definition of enabler. : one that enables another to achieve an end; especially : one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 862
The Birthday B00bs
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:18:34 PM
I can't even PM him. He blocked me. He said "If you're older than my kids, you're too old for me."
 sun___flower
Msg: 863
view profile
History
School Daze
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:26:20 PM

Well other people are nicer than me.

You can't spell calendar, you don't know when to use your or you're, or than instead of then. Even in your three sentences defending your spelling you make two spelling errors. Sorry, three spelling errors, and one grammatical error.

*mic drop*
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 864
The Birthday B00bs
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:27:32 PM
That's not why I blocked her. Let this be a lesson fellas, if you take out a restraining order against a doll she'll slander you any chance she can.
 Escape2bfree
Msg: 865
view profile
History
The Birthday B00bs
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:37:13 PM
Lol for all I know you could be lying about the spelling and grammer. Lucky they invented spellchecker, I just got to figure out how to get it on my fone. But hey, i might not of got the spelling and grammer in english but I did ok in comprehension. C in english = not very good at english. And generally I can add more to a conversation than spelling and grammer :p

I got a 2 in 10 ban now
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 866
MMMMMMMMMM BEER !
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:40:26 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else start thinking about beer close to quitting time on a Friday ?
 sun___flower
Msg: 867
view profile
History
Beerz
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:45:06 PM
I never stop thinking about beer.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 868
view profile
History
The Birthday B00bs
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:45:16 PM

Lucky they invented spellchecker,

Spellcheck doesn't help when you spell the wrong word, properly...
Spellcheck won't correct There, Their, or They're....
Even though only one of them will be correct.

Spell Check is built into my Android based Phone and my Daughter's iPhone.
What type of Phone do you have, that doesn't have spellcheck on it?
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 869
Sex, beer and rock and roll
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:54:54 PM
"I never stop thinking about beer."

If you were a guy you'd never stop thinking about sex
 Escape2bfree
Msg: 870
view profile
History
The Birthday B00bs
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:55:57 PM
Spellchecker doesn't correct anything it highlights it in red and you prompt it if you want to change it. It highlights incorrect grammer in blue. I don't think spellchecker works on pof anyway. My auto text however is forever changing words to random crap that I have to keep going back and correcting. V annoying

I've got a Samsung fone £14 a month from ee - v cheap.

Can not believe I used my 2 in 10 to post this
 sun___flower
Msg: 871
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 3:59:20 PM

If you were a guy you'd never stop thinking about sex

I can think about two things at once.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 872
Posted: 10/7/2016 4:07:21 PM
You're my kind of woman Toots. It's Friday, so let's throw in a pizza too.
 sun___flower
Msg: 873
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 4:13:08 PM
I tried to PM you, but was blocked for being too old. (I'm six years younger than you.)

halforhalfnot
Msg: 874
Posted: 10/7/2016 4:17:54 PM
Man, the broads here are going to give me a bad reputation.

sun___flower
Msg: 875
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 4:25:24 PM
B*tchez be that way.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The Birthday Bluez