Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you collect anything unusual?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 25
Do you collect anything unusual?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Ugh, did the 5 year prison sentence of caretaking for demented parents. Used to wish I wasn't the only child stuck with it, but I've heard horror stories of families who got in the way of the responsible child who stepped up to the plate.

As for ceramics, I guess its the artsy/crafty element. My mother did a small Hummel figurine collection. Went to a large swapmeet Sunday and found out the demand for old Buddy L and Tonka trucks is supposedly on the decline, grandparents are buying them now as toys again for the grandkids. Can't hurt those things, only leave 'em out in the sandbox to rust in the rain. So, they are a practical collection, as long as you don't overpay.
 tizzabelle
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Do you collect anything unusual?
Posted: 10/23/2016 11:33:32 PM
I have 4 - 5 mini Hoselton sculptures, they were prizes from our Canada Day celebrations long ago.
I have a few bigger more traditional collections of stuff too.
 MarsWarGod
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2016 6:16:49 AM
What's considered "unusual"?
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/26/2016 8:12:56 PM
Doreimi;, the kitten we rescued is still claimed by my ex. She never got any bigger but she is fearless. lol

I wanted to keep her but my ex kind of trumped me because she became attached to the other rescue cat. BTW, no pun on trump. She never grew too much and is only 3 lb full grown.

Doreimi, thank you for helping save her. *muuuwah*

LePew
 Ouija2025
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/27/2016 2:59:28 PM
MWG - if you have to ask then it is prolly unusual. :/
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2016 6:17:05 PM
# 29, sometimes unusual is as is does. Sometimes you don't even recognize that the unusual is that way until after it passes. And, you then realize... "I'll never see the likes of that again". Almost like a sighting of a cyclical comet. Once in a lifetime, then it's gone....

A collection of unusual memories and fun experiences. Priceless. Especially with other folks to share. Dig it.

And, the little black kitten about which # 28, Lookingforlast mistake is speaking of is a tough little kat and a survivor.... Scrawny little feline when we found her 0n 7//6 16 and had some fur missing on the nape area of her neck. She sure liked "Lookingfor" and it looks like a pair has been formed. Funny what kind of cats you can meet when walking through Toledo metroparks.

Experiences with animals are priceless too and worth collecting in the memory banks of our minds,,,, IMHO.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2016 1:49:50 AM
^^^ Wrong year, should be 2015. Guess I got too caught up in memories.
 deetristate
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/28/2016 8:28:22 AM
Old/ Vintage typing manuals
The irony, right?

Ha!
 _babblefish
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/30/2016 9:59:27 AM
^ similar interest . . i collect old school text/books, my fav is a first edition first grade reader;

"Fun With****and Jane"
 BeckyHT
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Acorns
Posted: 10/30/2016 10:15:32 AM

All I have is a major TON of acorns.

For many years I had wondered about the history of native American's eating acorns... did they really do it? And what did they taste like. I knew there was some sort of blanching process.

Well, a couple months ago I attended a presentation put on by a woman with a Master's degree on native culture, and she was also native American. She showed pictures of several decades ago, one was of how the native American's collected and stored acorns. They had baskets they built the size of your bed, full of acorns.

She brought some Acorn bread she made, and we all got to try it. It was delicious. It tasted kind of like zucchini bread. She also brought some other natural items native American's used, it was interesting.

I wonder why organic stores and those making organic food products aren't taking advantage of acorns, as I think there are varieties of Oaks growing in every State.
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Acorns
Posted: 10/30/2016 10:53:44 AM
^^^
Must have been an interesting presentation!

I have looked up info on harvesting and preparing the "ton" of acorns I have and it is very labor intensive. Still considering it as a project.

As far as organic food companies not getting on the acorn bandwagon? Here are my thoughts (based on my personal experience both as a "Oak tree owner" and 25 years in the organic food industry):

Oak trees take approx. 20 years to start producing acorns. No OG/Natural manufacturer is going to plant trees and wait 20 years for a crop.

The crop is hardly consistent, though, from year to year. Instead, it follows a boom-and-bust cycle. Bumper crops seldom occur back to back, and are typically succeeded by several years of average to poor production. Then, boom — another bumper (found in goggle research and my own personal experiences owning property with many oak trees).

Acorns are hard to harvest! They are hard to rake up, and there's a lot of organic matter if you try a vacuum method. Every acorn has to be carefully selected due to acorn weevil larva infection.

Sourcing acorns for a natural food manufacturer would be hard since it is such a niche market. The only acorns I found on-line was small amounts for crafters.

I could make some serious cash if I could find someone to buy my acorns!
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Acorns
Posted: 10/30/2016 11:14:07 AM
This got me more interested in sourcing acorn flour.

There are a handful of web suppliers for acorn flour. Starting price is $25.00 per pound before shipping! Time to harvest my acorns!
 Kodanshi
Msg: 37
view profile
History
I collect...
Posted: 11/1/2016 3:32:33 PM
...Shakespeare quotes.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you collect anything unusual?