Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Cycllist on the road      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 20
Cycllist on the roadPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Old people, driving everywhere at 23MPH doesn't make you safe or mitigate the fact you're almost blind, deaf and have the reaction speeds of a stoned tortoise.

IMO this is one of the strangest paradoxes of human life.
Young people, with a normal future life expectancy of many decades, drive in such way as to lead you to believe that they only have days to live, and as a result, many, sadly DO!.

But old people, many of whom probably won't be around, next year, drive as though they've got "all the time in the world". (Cue Louis Armstrong)
It makes no sense to me.

I'm 62 now.
(Couple of weeks ago, No "bumps" please)
I'm still waiting for the slowing-down phenomenon thing to 'kick-in', I still drive like Ayrton, on speed.

I don't mind cyclists, Oxford's always been full of them. Mostly without any lights. You learn to live with it.

I don't much care for the 'Lycra-lout' types though, who take themselves far too seriously, IMO.

Get yourself a stationary cycling machine, then, you can cycle, while watching TV., in the warm, with tea, and cakes.
Sorted.
 Strider886
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/5/2016 2:39:18 PM
Here is why you give cyclists space when overtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cD3G0dwPA#t=0m40s

Pot holes in the road can do nasty things to a cyclist, same pot holes you wouldn't even notice in a car.
 Hostess68
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/5/2016 3:04:20 PM
I watched that in disbelief! Two cyclists nearly causing a 2 car pile up! This is my point exactly! And as for taking a drink while on a bike! Just stupid! More stupid than texting while driving a car! The narrator laughs about this?.... I'm just glad the two cars didn't collide but if they did, the cyclist should be charged with man slaughter if someone died because that idiot caused a fatal crash
 Strider886
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/5/2016 5:03:52 PM
The cyclist hit a pot hole in the road, regardless of anything else if a driver had been overtaking too closely the cyclist would have gone under the wheels just through avoiding the pothole.

I really hope for the sake of humanity that your just trolling, because I really really hope that it's not just stupidity.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/6/2016 6:55:50 AM

I watched that in disbelief! Two cyclists nearly causing a 2 car pile up! This is my point exactly! And as for taking a drink while on a bike! Just stupid! More stupid than texting while driving a car! The narrator laughs about this?.... I'm just glad the two cars didn't collide but if they did, the cyclist should be charged with man slaughter if someone died because that idiot caused a fatal crash

Manslaughter?? You really don't like cyclists, do you? On this occasion, it was misjudgment, rather than willful negligence. It's totally different from texting.

As the narrator states, maybe things can be learnt from that particular video and I agree with that, as potholes can be tricky to spot at 25mph plus. And drafting relies on the ability to watch the rider in front as well as the road in front of them.

However, taking a drink whilst riding is probably still less dangerous than you fumbling for your fags and lighter whilst driving. Now THAT should be banned.
 Strider886
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/6/2016 8:23:01 AM

However, taking a drink whilst riding is probably still less dangerous than you fumbling for your fags and lighter whilst driving. Now THAT should be banned.

I'd add to that, fish wives with their heads on backwards shouting at kids in the back seat.
 Hostess68
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/6/2016 5:19:28 PM
I don't smoke in my car (no ashtray) cos its dangerous
Wouldn't dream of using my mobile cos is dangerous
I don't have kids but if I did I would pull over if they were distracting my driving cos its dangerous
I don't wear make up but if I did it wouldn't be put on in the car cos its dangerous
I don't cycle on fast speed limit roads cos its dangerous
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/7/2016 1:56:44 AM
This film certainly shows what happens when you lose concentration on the road. Clearly the cyclist did not have full control of the bike when trying to return the bottle to it's holder and was unsighted holding the bottle to his face. A lesson for cyclists surely?
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/7/2016 5:09:46 AM
^^^ Another pronouncement made by a non-cyclist...

Since you can't really see the cyclist's face, how can you say he was "unsighted holding the bottle to his face"?? If you look carefully, you'll see that he's holding the bottle to the side as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNevJY-5n8 , which means that your view ahead isn't blocked. Even the pro in this video glances down briefly before replacing the bottle. It's usually a very quick and smooth operation but yes, throw a pot hole into the mix and things go awry. I've been thrown off a line putting my hand out to signal a turn before; am I not supposed to signal?? Ultimately, the culprits are the motorists destroying the road surface in the first place of course, enabling the weather conditions to damage the road further.

I don't cycle on fast speed limit roads cos its dangerous

Dangerous for you, you mean. If I didn't ride on unrestricted roads, I wouldn't get past the end of my road. I tend to avoid built up areas and big roundabouts at peak times, but that's because of the amount of motorists either not paying attention or simply thinking they rule the road.
 Strider886
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/7/2016 6:02:34 AM

I've been thrown off a line putting my hand out to signal a turn before; am I not supposed to signal??

When I used to cycle to work in my late teens, there were a number of times where drivers overtook me whilst signalling to turn right, hit my arm and nearly took me off my bike. I also had one incident where a driver overtook and immediately turned left in front of me, causing me to slam into the side of their car, they didn't stop.

Fast forward to today's driver attitudes and there is your reason why I don't road cycle if I can avoid it.
The last time I cycled on the roads in the last few years, I had some nutcase tailgating me, leaning on the horn (even though she could have overtaken) because I refused to cycle in the door zone of parked cars.
 6jellybeans
Msg: 30
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/7/2016 9:16:14 AM

No they weren't. The generation to which we all owe so much are mostly all gone now, any remaining are highly unlikely to still be driving. This lot are the baby boomers, the ones who bought their houses for peanuts and did the best out of pensions...and basically screwed the rest of us but i digress.

Actually each generation contributes. We think we are so much worse off but we are not. I stand by that we should all be patient with old people. if you don't like to see them driving about then how about offering to give them a lift and help them with their shopping? Woudl solve that one for you. All sorts of people have crashes not just old folks. I believe middle aged women are the worst for crashing but I may be wrong .

But having a go at old folks because they brought their houses and accepted prices that were offered to them so that their families could inherit their wealth... Come on... House prices raised because people were prepared to pay stupid prices. Everything on this earth is only worth what a person is prepared to pay for it... It is not their fault. It is ours for being so damned foolish.

They were here first? What kind of argument is that!? so was diphtheria before Penicillin. So by your rationale we would be cruising round the Balearics in a Viking long boat or flying to Tenerife strapped to Chanute's hang glider. Stuff evolves, just because Jemima wants to take her little pony for a walking dump along a different bridleway shouldn't give her the right to take said lump of walking glue on a public highway. IMO

Roads were built for horses and horse drawn carriages. That is where it all started, Waaaaaay before cars. Roads are known as "public highways" and are open to all members of the public... So quite frankly I see no point in getting stressy over who is on it and instead prefer to spend my time getting from A to B as safely as I can while trying to make sure that other fellow road users are as safe as possible. Jemima and her lump of glue have just as much right as you do. And in this day and age its more likely to be a Chardonnay or Tracey and her lump of glue... Also if you had read the Highway Code before passing your test you would understand and appreciate the risks involved to all road users... I had a horse kick seven shades out of a car that came too close and too fast once... Trust me, the car was in worse shape than the horse. Thankfully I also had witnesses and it was advised it was my right to sue the driver had I chosen to... No my name is not Jemima or Prudence... No I do not own silver spoons but yes thank you I have worked my backside off since the age of 7 to pay for my hobby. No Mummy and Daddy did not buy me a pony, instead I cleaned cars and houses and raked leaves and saved for years to buy my own and continued to do so to feed it, shoe it and put rugs on its back...

You'll probably come back with young drivers and adjectives such as "lunatic" and "Boy racer" and i would wholeheartedly agree with you and be happy to see little tossers who think they're Lewis Hamilton banned for many years and given lots of punitive fines...and stuff.

Actually no. Must be blessed, because the vast majority of young drivers around are really good drivers, courteous, considerate, kind and generous with other road users of all kinds... So my view point is far different to yours I am afraid. And yes this includes the "boy racers" with their supped up turbos and noisey exhausts... Actually they tend to be the best for slowing down and stopping for other more vulnerable road users.

The worst I have found are those who are middle aged and so stressed out and rushed that they forget to stop and smell the roses from time to time... So intent on getting to that next meeting that they forget its essential to get there alive if they want to clinch the deal...
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/7/2016 2:36:52 PM
Give cyclists the same respect and room you would give a car.Simple.On a narrow road if you couldn't overtake a car safely you probably couldn't overtake a cyclist safely either. I see far too many drivers hounding cyclists inches from their heels and passing them with a whiskers room. In fact one of the roads I drive often I also see drivers hounding pedestrians that have to walk along the lane.I have forbidden my son to walk or ride to or from school along the lane...he has to go the long way round down teh dual carriageway ( which has a path all the way along) .He's a bit of a daydreamer and I don't want him dead.

I haven't been out on my bike on a busy road in years.Used to be my main means of getting around for a long time but I've lost my confidence.I can take a couple of routes out from my house which use little used pavements and then I'm on tracks etc. I don't know if everyone is more impatient and angry and inconsiderate now compared to ten , twenty years ago or I've just become more aware of it ...and more of a scaredy cat.
 Hostess68
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/7/2016 6:08:30 PM
Several people are banging on about the roads being built for carriages and horse drawn carts... Well yeah! If you lived in the 17th century! I don't think we are talking about the same roads that have been built since. I would then concur that bikes have rights. We in the majority no longer go by pedal power as a means for transportation.
 Strider886
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/8/2016 8:27:34 AM
You see I have a whole different perspective on this anti-cyclist BS, I happen to own a kit car and the abuse/aggression/intimidation I get from other drivers when I go out in it is just crazy. The problem is not the mode of transport, the problem is the perception of non-conformity.

On UK roads it's all about social hierarchy, from small slow cars to big fast German saloons, as soon you dare to be a little different the sh*t really hits the fan. I could overtake someone in my boring old Ford Mondeo and experience no issue at all, but do the same in a kitcar the size of an old Fiesta and with the acceleration of a sports bike, and that same overtake can turn into road rage very quickly. The worst thing is that drivers look down at you as though your a child playing in the street, in exactly the way drivers treat cyclists.

The problem is a social one and it's no different to other forms of minority discrimination. Trying to kill a cyclist using a 2 tonne lump of metal is (in my book) no different to linching people for their skin colour.
 6jellybeans
Msg: 34
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/9/2016 12:28:24 PM

Trying to kill a cyclist using a 2 tonne lump of metal is (in my book) no different to linching people for their skin colour. [/quoted]

Exactly.

Roads are there for everyone. Why stress yourself out just because someone else happens to be using the same bit at the same time as you?

I just find some of the comments made to be really unproductive. I mean seriously... What is 10 minutes of your life out of 85 years just to let an old person by or to pass slowly and safely past a walker or cyclist or horse rider? I just don't get why people would want to waste the stress and emotion getting upset about it. Why bother?
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 35
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/10/2016 6:55:08 AM

Trying to kill a cyclist using a 2 tonne lump of metal is (in my book) no different to linching people for their skin colour.

I'm not British, but sometimes visit the UK forum for threads relevant to the whole world.

The above is inaccurate and an insult to victims of hate crimes and race discrimination. People cannot choose their skin color (one exception was Michael Jackson), but can choose whether or not to take a bicycle on a road shared with motor vehicles. Cyclists can also choose whether or not to wear the flame spandex associated with bad cyclist behavior (speeding through spot signs and stoplights, clogging roads when there's a parallel bike path, etc). I cannot do much to avoid being called "honky", "cracker", "white a$$ punk", and other names (such things often occur in the States). There are choices I can make to get from point A to point B on a bicycle: wear normal clothes, stop at a red light, take side streets, walk, etc.

Spokeheads are often rude to walkers and other non-bike traffic on bike paths too. The foot traffic has right of way. Bicycles are supposed to yield to everyone else. They sometimes clip pedestrians and dogs, not moving far enough apart from the foot traffic. They speed on paths despite rules against high speed.

Critical m***holes destroy the environment by causing vehicles to idle and drive slower.

The rudest bicyclists look down upon other bicyclists. Rich spokeheads with road bikes costing thousands turn up their noses at the common folk who ride entry level hybrids. Expensive mountain bikes compact the soil and create ruts, damaging fragile ecosystems and creating puddles where mosquito larvae flourish.

I in my T shirt and jeans on my inexpensive hybrid travel more miles than the spokeheads because I start pedaling as soon as I reach the parking lot, and keep pedaling. The spandex-clad Lance Armstrong wannabees linger for huge amounts of time in the parking lot (if they're going to be on roads, why not bike from home?), clog up roads in large groups, then quit within an hour or two to down large amounts of expensive alcohol. My slow and steady bike ride is more miles then their jackrabbit trips.

Went to one Meetup bike ride. They were cliquish time wasters, mainly there to drink. The leader spoke negatively of other trail users even though the other users have the right of way and are well behaved. I'm glad they ignored me rather than trying to recruit me to drink, purchase a state of the art bike, wear spandex, and other spokehead dysfunction.

There are good and bad in every category: drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians. Slow fat pedestrians block the entire width of a bike path. Impotent drivers lash out at superior cyclists, jealous of the superior physical shape and lower cost of operating a non motorized item.

I remember an old episode of Andy Griffith, Howard sells Opie a bicycle license. A bike license is a great idea, with expensive tickets and possible license revocation for violating traffic rules. Bicycling on a street without a license should result in confiscation of the bike.
 Strider886
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/10/2016 12:06:30 PM
So if we boil that down basically your saying that people who exercise their own freedom are fair game? We should just aim our cars at them? Be that cycling, or the way they dress, or whatever..... It's perfectly ok to victimise and discriminate against people who choose not to do the same thing as 90% of the population.

And, your saying that young children shouldn't have bikes? Because they sure as hell won't be able to obtain a license. I guess they should all stay at home, stuff their faces with twinkies and Oreo biscuits and play COD on their PS4.
I guess that explains a why the US has such an obesity problem.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/11/2016 3:17:17 AM

Rich spokeheads with road bikes costing thousands turn up their noses at the common folk who ride entry level hybrids. Expensive mountain bikes compact the soil and create ruts, damaging fragile ecosystems and creating puddles where mosquito larvae flourish.

We get it; you suffer from nice bike envy. No need to rub it in.
 Hostess68
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/13/2016 3:52:02 PM
Kids get fat cos they cant go on a 60 mph road with blind bends??? Oh come on! I'd rather a fat kid than a dead kid. There are other forms of more responsible exercise for a kid that doesn't involve RTAs and how come Strider gets to break the replies rule?
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/13/2016 5:29:32 PM
Are you referring to the two in ten rule? Very established forumites have secret powers bestowed upon them by the ancient ones. . I myself am privvy to the spells. Only those who pay road tax, general tax, council tax AND a ride a bicycle
 Strider886
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Cycllist on the road
Posted: 11/14/2016 12:47:13 PM

and how come Strider gets to break the replies rule?

Because I have a bicycle, I don't need to follow rules.................

Alternatively maybe the rule isn't exactly as the text describes, as I have run into that a few times on this thread and had to wait for someone else to reply.

And by the way, your opinions on cyclists are exactly what is dangerous about cycling, a few irresponsible people bouncing hateful comments about a vulnerable minority in a social setting does not mean that is what those people really think.

It's an interesting subject that i've been following for some time, there was an experiment where they put one person in a room full of actors (he didn't know) and asked the actors to all agree on something that was clearly wrong. the subject agree'd with the entire room despite it being obviously wrong. This is how these social interactions play out, people agree even if they don't actually agree and if your as bloody minded IRL as you are on here, then I can see that people might agree just avoid any backlash.

There will always be divided opinion on cyclists, there is my opinion based on facts and there's the wrong opinion based on prejudice.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Cycllist on the road