Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What is your prediction for next 4 years?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 76
What is your prediction for Congress?Page 4 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
I know a few people have posted here they don't have time to read all the links, maybe that was just sour grapes, but along the topic of age of presidents....an opinion article about the age gap of voters (we still like to believe they choose the Prez):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/opinion/sunday/the-generation-gap-is-back.html

I suspect Obama, in future retrospect, will be considered great in your great grandkids' textbooks. Not to annoy the Trumpets, but b/c most of our great presidents weren't well liked during their time (Lincoln an obvious example). Its precisely the fact they overcame domestic dislike, as much as what they may have accomplished in foreign policy, that makes them look good long after the hatred is gone. Obama accomplished a lot against resistance of a Republican Legislature.

If it was easy...why would anyone respect it?
 dragonbytes
Msg: 77
view profile
History
What is your prediction for Congress?
Posted: 12/7/2016 1:51:53 PM
^^^ We disagree, I think Obama was a great President, and if he could have run for a third term he would have won.

Obama got us out of a depression, created the first ever universal healthcare, he ordered the closing of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp, but Congress prevented the closure by refusing to appropriate the required funds and preventing moving any Guantanamo detainee into the U.S. or to other countries.

The Republicans will have a hard time NOT giving universal healthcare, they will rebrand it but I don't think it's possible to go back to the old system and cut off 20 million Americans.

Obama reduced the secrecy given to presidential records

Obama reduced unemployment from 10.0% October of 2009 and now it is at 4.9%. Everywhere I go in the Chicago area, companies are desperate to hire people.

The economy of the United States has grown faster than the other original NATO members by a wider margin under President Obama than it has anytime since the end of World War II

I think Obama will go down as one of our greatest Presidents, and Trump is following a hard act to beat, even if Obama was elected to a third term the economy is likely to soften just because is has been so strong.
 deetristate
Msg: 78
Posted: 12/7/2016 2:13:08 PM
Obama wasn't a disaster. He was a disappointment. in some ways but he wasn't terrible. The choice presented was hclinton or trump. Most states in the union rejected hclinton (notwithstanding the glee of some over 3.2 million more votes by Clintonn in two of the fifty).
Many who voted for trump voted for Obama in two elections.

Obama is an interesting side issue at this point.

The history books will probably wax poetically about Obama. No disagreement there.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2016 2:20:24 PM
dee, how was Obama a disappointment? And your post was about Obama, not Hillary, so that was how I answered.

Concerning Hillary.

Hillary was too nice, a little too honest, and didn't have a good TV personality, she got run over by Trump. A hit for me on Hillary is she didn't have the best political instincts, maybe she was a little too loyal, likely to trust the wrong people too long, surely she wasn't enough of an attack dog, she didn't want to display her true self, like when she tried to create her own healthcare system way back during President Clinton's era, it was too secretive. This was more a street fight than most Presidential contests, she plays too nice.

BTW at this point Hillary is also an interesting side issue.
 deetristate
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/8/2016 1:20:03 AM
True.

In answer to your question, Here are a couple of articles that capture a lot of the disappointment. ( I use that word diplomatically).

http://m.townhall.com/columnists/crystalwright/2013/02/17/blacks-are-fed-up-with-obama-its-about-time-n1513521

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/10/19/the-limits-of-eloquence-the-failures-of-barack-obama/
 dragonbytes
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 7:31:39 AM

Well hopefully President-elect Trump will learn from the last 6 years of President Obama's term.....
Instead of starting out telling the other Party to pound sand, maybe He will try and bring them on board with some of His plans.

You should take a look at this article, or take a glance at the book, the Party of No. The Republicans started their policy of opposing Obama right after he won the election in Dec 2008.

It reveals some of my reporting on the Republican plot to obstruct President Obama before he even took office, including secret meetings led by House GOP whip Eric Cantor (in December 2008) and Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell (in early January 2009) in which they laid out their daring (though cynical and political) no-honeymoon strategy of all-out resistance to a popular President-elect during an economic emergency. “If he was for it,” former Ohio Senator George Voinovich explained, “we had to be against it.”

http://swampland.time.com/2012/08/23/the-party-of-no-new-details-on-the-gop-plot-to-obstruct-obama/

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Democrats are doing the same sort of strategizing. Not that they would admit it, or as the Republicans in 2009, House Republican leader John Boehner opened his weekly conference meeting with an announcement: Obama would make his first visit to the Capitol around noon, to meet exclusively with Republicans about his economic-recovery plan. “We’re looking forward to the President’s visit,” Boehner said..

Obama did try and bring them on board, the Republican plan was to tell him to pound sand. 8 Years later, it worked, so one would expect the Dems to do the same sort of thing.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 7:49:07 AM
dee
In answer to your question, Here are a couple of articles that capture a lot of the disappointment. ( I use that word diplomatically).

I did read the articles.

I think it's mostly a case of unrealistically high expectations coupled with Obama not paying as much attention to blacks as they thought he would.

However, I am not sure what legislation Obama could have passed that would have specifically helped black Americans. My guess is that the high unemployment rate amongst blacks is caused by location. I used to live in the ghetto, deep in the inner city of South Chicago, there aren't a lot of jobs around that sort of neighborhood, and if you don't own a car it's hard to commute to a better job. The job I had was about 80% black, 10% Mexican, so I did feel like a minority, though the Mexicans had the worst jobs. I was a common worker, I got along with those I worked with, playfully a few pulled a knife on me, but I think they were just jazzing around to see what I would do, not really serious. There were many more whites in management.

Very difficult to change the dynamic of those places, I can look at where I used to live (google maps) 44 years ago, it looks just a bad now as it did then, with even more boarded up windows. I don't like to cruise around in a car, though I do have an old beater that wouldn't attract attention. I never got into too much trouble there, but I was careful about a lot of things, like having a few strategies to keep myself safe.

No doubt Trump supporters will be equally unhappy after a while because Trump won't be able to magically make their lives "better" again, but for a time they will be happy because someone is paying more attention to them.
 John252817
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/8/2016 8:00:01 AM
"If black liberals are really angry at the lack of attention Obama is giving them, perhaps they should use this as a lesson. Instead of voting for candidates based on race or party, perhaps black Americans should try giving candidates a thorough vetting before going to the polls and hold politicians accountable to records in exchange for votes. Maybe then blacks would start getting something in return other than the status quo."

^^^^^^^^^BINGO!!

That was from your first article Dee and wow, is the above paragraph so true. The liberals have kept Black Americans down for way too long and hopefully it stops and starts to go the other way.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/8/2016 8:57:24 AM
Nonsense!!
I am sure there are Black Americans that built up all their hope and dreams because A BLACK PRESIDENT WAS IN.
And expected something....he didn't deliver. Are any of us so naive to think ALL Blacks should have liked him?
Duh!!
My guess, would be these are people that have no idea what he was up against and the HOLE he was left to dig himself out of.
OR....their personal dreams were just unreasonable.

Hell....I think he is an upstanding, honest, respectful man who did his best for the country....sometimes taking a beating for his tries....ie: Obamacare...
I'd be honored to share a beer with him...anyday.
Unlike the madman now......Who...by the way....was bragging how much he liked Obama, after their meetings. Now that is what you call diplomacy on Obamas end...I would say!

dragonbytes
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 9:01:05 AM
Sure voters should vet all important candidates they vote for, that means don't automatically vote Republican / conservative or Dem / Liberal.

I tend to like Republican bruce rauner for Gov but Dem rahm Emanuel for Mayor.

We should all do that, not just one group.
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/8/2016 9:47:05 AM
Something to watch is enforcement of the Magnitsky Act.

Putin's hold on power depends on his ability to keep his allies immune from any legal consequences. My guess is that this law will be taken off the table for enforcement, and there will be a push to repeal it.
 gtomustang
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/8/2016 9:47:40 AM
"Instead of voting for candidates based on race or party, perhaps....racist Republicans who claimed they didn't like what Trump said, but would vote Republican no matter what.....should try giving candidates a thorough vetting before going to the polls and hold politicians accountable to records in exchange for votes. "

Well said, Mr. Yikes. Blacks who expect a black president to make things better for them are fools, but white men who think Chump speaks to them are only looking for Chump to Make America Great Again for them....are...what again? Patriots? oppressed? What's the word for them that makes them different from those foolish black voters?
 Maleman999
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/8/2016 10:04:03 AM
What I'm wondering is what happens by the end of 4 years, since Trump opened up a Pandora's box on the campaign trail. Will all future presidential candidates practice the same brand of campaigning as Trump-preaching hatred of any and every minority group, accusing their rivals of beings criminals and promising to have them thrown in jail, as well as of accusing them of not being real Americans, preaching sexually assaulting women as no big deal and a joke (boys will be boys), inciting violence against their opponent's supporters, promising to sue anyone and everyone who makes any bad remarks about the candidate, etc.-since this is what got Trump elected? Will this be the winning formula to get elected from now on, since it's proven to work, or will there be a time when civilized people run against each other?

It's funny that when a foreign country that has an evil dictatorship throws political opponents in jail, everybody says how horrible and backwards it is, and it violates human rights. But when Trump said he was going to do the same thing against his political opponent, Trumpeters were hailing him as a hero.
 brilliantdiguise
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/8/2016 10:08:41 AM
In 4 years he will still be bything about Saturday Night Live and Baldwin making fun of him. He and the First Ho will still live in their golden palace about the Park with their challenged son. He will still Tweet for all hours of the day and night....oh, and we will be in the middle of WW3 because he pissed off some dictator somewhere. JMO
 2ufo2
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/8/2016 11:42:43 AM

What I'm wondering is what happens by the end of 4 years, since Trump opened up a Pandora's box on the campaign trail.

I think they'll assume it's all name recognition and all candidates will do anything and everything (good or bad) to keep their names in front of the audience. They'll tweet and say the same utter, attention-getting nonsense. Ugh, I'm already dreading the next presidential election.
 benartflick
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/8/2016 12:38:10 PM
In four years I see Baldwin on his knees begging for forgiveness, behind bars in a federal prison. A large man, Bubba, standing over him.

I also see an older woman, Claire on her nametag, dealing cards on some kind of a boat.

I'm psychic. I occasionally see into the future. Nah, I never see numbers that might enable me to win a lotto.
 gtomustang
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/8/2016 4:41:38 PM
now i'm reminded of Chevy Chase in I think it was "Fletch Lives", when he's in prison and asks the wrestler what his name is....Ben Dover. Some of those old movies can keep up to Kevin Hart stuff--i'd love to see any of today's comedians get together and re-do "Its a Mad, Mad, Mad World". Heck, they've already done "This is the End".

I too wonder, how many future candidates will try Trump's narcissistic tricks to win? He didn't run commericals, b/c he loves the roar of the crowd and its adoration. But campaign managers tend to love commercials b/c they get a cut. Will blatant lies as campaign promises work on....well...an intelligent voter? His supporters know deep down he lied about the wall and yet they don't care. Does that work on smart people? Or was his trick that he pandered to people who don't actually mind being lied to? Or was his victory just a manipulation of the Electoral College, since he lost the popular vote? I'm sure plenty of people are getting paid a lot to figure out WTF.

http://www.livescience.com/53307-donald-trump-narcissism-reflects-us-culture.html

maybe we are a "Selfie culture", and that's why Chump could lose the popular vote but win the Electoral. Maybe we just want celebrities. Trumpets will say they want the outsider...which means they want lack of experience....well, guess what? they voted for the outsider, and he's stocking the swamp with Wall Streeters. Not outsiders, are they? We like to talk about Chump winning, yet he lost the popular vote to someone DISPISED. He didn't lose to a better candidate, but to one equally unliked, and she won the popular vote maybe b/c she was actually a PROTEST vote against Chump.

Still, voter turnout in 2016 was....a 20 year low?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/popular-vote-turnout-2016/index.html
 daynadaze
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 5:42:18 PM
John, how many people voted for Trump because they thought he was going to take up their white supremacists rights and get rid of all non-whites, putting them back where racists think they belong? How many voted for Trump because they don't want to be PC, they want to go back to when America was great with a big difference between what white men, good ol' boys, can rule and women can be property and people of color can be taken down? How many voted for Trump thinking he was going to say gays or transgenders, etc., labeled as mentally ill and lock them up? How many voted for Trump because they want the right to spew hate and not have anything like equal rights or hate crime laws to get in their way? How many people voted for Trump thinking he was going to hand them jobs, in companies that no longer exist, with pay that gives them luxuries? How many people actually looked into who & what Trump really is, has done, paid attention to how many times he flip-flopped, said really nasty things about others, how many paid attention to that? And how many voted for Trump because they hoped that Hillary was going to be dragged off the stage and thrown into prison?
 deetristate
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/8/2016 6:05:45 PM
Did you read the second article?
Did anyone?
----------
See John,. some think that whites in the USA have the same experience when a white is elected president as blacks had when Obama was elected.
------------
"""It's funny that when a foreign country that has an evil dictatorship throws political opponents in jail, everybody says how horrible and backwards it is, and it violates human rights. """"""

Who? Attempt to overthrow the government, you should expect to go to jail.
------------------

It remains interesting how annoyed the Trump haters are still.

Are you working on campaigns of people who would oppose his proposals?
---------------------
In answer to above - A very small percentage. A larger percentage voted for Obama the last time and trump this time.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 7:50:00 PM
Donald Trump Will Produce Upcoming ‘Celebrity Apprentice’
President-elect Donald Trump is staying on as an executive producer of NBC’s “The New Celebrity Apprentice” despite his impending responsibilities as leader of the free world, Variety reported on Thursday.

The popular program, which propelled the businessman to national prominence and paved the way for his eventual presidential win, is set to begin airing again in January with its new host, Arnold Schwarzenegger. The show went off the air during Trump’s presidential bid.

MGM, which produces the show for NBC, confirmed to Variety that Trump will still be one of the program’s executive producers, and that MGM, not NBC, will pay the president-elect’s fees. (MGM did not return a request for comment from The Huffington Post.)

Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks confirmed the news, noting that the president-elect has a “big stake” in the program, which has licensed several international editions.

“Mr. Trump has a big stake in the show and conceived of it with Mark Burnett. Additional details regarding his business interests will be shared December 15th,” Hicks said in a statement.

Trump’s role is rife with potential entanglements. While his paycheck will come from MGM, the program airs on NBC, a major broadcast network with an influential news division (which employs reporters Trump has personally attacked). It’s also the same network that airs “Saturday Night Live,” a show Trump has criticized on numerous occasions for its unflattering depiction of him. And NBC is owned by Comcast, a corporation that was recently slapped with a hefty fine by the Federal Communications Commission ― an entity that will soon be under Trump’s control.

Many of Trump’s ventures, including his new Washington D.C. hotel and his many international investments, have come under scrutiny for massive conflicts of interest as his inauguration approaches. He’s claimed he will leave his company, but has provided no details on what that will look like.

Trump’s involvement with the “Apprentice” franchise became a source of controversy near the end of the presidential race. After The Washington Post published Trump’s 2005 boasts about sexual assault, HuffPost uncovered several offensive remarks the president-elect made during his time on the show. In October, a former “Apprentice” contestant accused Trump of assaulting her in a Beverly Hills hotel room. And several former crew members told The Associated Press that Trump frequently used sexist, lewd language while on set.

Meanwhile, producer Mark Burnett ― who repeatedly claimed he was not a Trump supporter ― fought to keep the show’s unaired archives under wraps and reportedly cracked down on staff leaks of such material. According to The New York Times, Burnett recently met with the president-elect at Trump Tower to discuss potential inauguration celebrations, including a parade up Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-apprentice-producer_us_5849e504e4b04c8e2baf082b

I predict he will have to quit, but I also predict he will makes a cameo appearance on Celebrity Apprentice’, likely in the near future.
 John252817
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/8/2016 10:51:35 PM
"In answer to above - A very small percentage. A larger percentage voted for Obama the last time and trump this time."

^^^^^^^^^ Bingo Bango Dee!!!!! Your one sentence says it all.
 daynadaze
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2016 11:58:56 PM
What??? John, could you answer the question?
 loveisatemple
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/9/2016 1:51:15 AM
Obama, unlike Trump is a brilliant individual who had long term vision, but nothing can help those who opposed him and blocked him. Trumpets are would be modern fascists (like their leader) who eat up propaganda.

Look at Trump's actions, not his words (all lies, so they won't get opposition, as predators do).

Trump appoints racists, then denies he is a racist. If you appoint mortgage thieves, you are cosigning stealing mortgages, and hoping to get pointers.

Look at the records of his appointees. It speaks volumes about his future intentions. Stop believing the lies, or being ok with it because you aren’t obvious targets—you are, you just are blissfully deluded.
Steve Bannon is there to implement fascistic changes, and each of his other appointees.

The white Trumpets think they are bullet proof, and only the brown peoples will suffer (who cares, they say).

No, you will be exploited for your labor, homes, whatever $ you have. Green is the color they care about, no morality or values except enrich themselves. They will murder and steal and lie and send your children to war over$. You are pawns, just like Bush sent your young men to war for his gain, then cut military healthcare,VA benefits.

Obama is a Constitutional scholar and knows the value of a Democracy, with liberty and justice for all, all of which weak liberals and low information, racist Trumpists take for granted.

We need to pay attention and act, or lose our constitutionally protected freedoms.

We are moving to a police state (we already have repeated police brutality against unarmed citizens, and police cover ups-look at videos online), and martial law (you think people are going quietly, or not resist ?) along with censorship, surveillance (Trump will spy on you via social media and wifi, it's not about Trump being silly--he used Big Data to manipulate the masses to his campaign )and other forms of government control, except on guns.

But, you badly want to believe in the authority you picked, after claiming to hate government control.

You will get the intolerant world you asked for and a flying bullet your way, a police club in your face can occur without any redress in this world you asked for.

You were ok with this happening to brown people. When it happens to you, nobody will hear you, either.

"Immigration has been going on as long as I've been around but it wasn't until recently does my workplace have signs that now say, "No Hay Solida". The melting pot is NOT us becoming like them. They came here. They left for something better than what their heritage offers. Adopt to our ways or get the h$ll out."

There is a reason banks say press 2 for Spanish. It is not to be PC. They are money for the banks, pure and simple millions in profit. So, why are the undocumented employed? If corporations did not exploit cheap labor, they would not come here.

Why did Trump employ illegals, why did Trump never pay those he employed, ever pay taxes, reveal his tax returns, harass women, housing discriminate against Blacks, and is now filling his cabinet with misogynist health directors, no experience cronies, mortgage thieves, racists like Steve Bannon, etc...--and then never admit to any of it? He is nothing but a propagandist. But, all that is A-OK to Trumpists.

He, like all predators(he sees you Trumpists as targets and losers, but he will feed you the pablum you crave. You provide narcissistic supply. You are just millet.) needs you to relax vs oppose him, so he will lie his face off and not even know he's lying.

The guy lives in an alternate reality where the truth is threatening. He has disassociative disorder-talking out of both sides of his head. We are supposed to forget he called Ben Carson mentally unstable, and all the other names he called Ronmey. etc. It never ends, his mental lunacy.

Why are we taking this insane megalomaniac seriously? Some blue collar, low information voters like that he looks like them, and the rest of Trumpets who aren't like that?

Anomalies to their race and gender who are too non comprehending and mean spirited to care about the impact of this election, and what is really at stake, our democracy, our personal freedoms, which, in other countries would have us in jail---free speech, a free press, freedom from assault, violence, a right to privacy, workplace laws, etc..

His endangered species killing, affluenza brats lie, as well --just like the predator narcissist himself. It's another money grab from a wanna be dynastic neo fascist clan.

Bush hacked the Diebold machines. I have read reports it's not hard to hack voting machines. Whenever Trumps claimed the election was rigged or Hilary needs a drug test, it looks like he outs himself--pre emptive strikes.

Without American democracy, freedom is not safe anywhere. We will become a 3rd world.

Malnourished, brainwashed and controlled, our freedoms given up by the fact hating white nationalists and anomalies to their race who will nonetheless be punished for being the wrong color, gender.

You cosigned a world where the government can take away your parents, take away your children, your choice in reproduction and sexual identity. Oh, but it's THOSE people(no, it's you.)
Democracy is liberty for all, not just your gene pool or your cronies. What narcissism.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/9/2016 3:43:18 AM

Msg: 100
Trump appoints racists, then denies he is a racist. If you appoint mortgage thieves, you are cosigning stealing mortgages, and hoping to get pointers.

Look at the records of his appointees. It speaks volumes about his future intentions. Stop believing the lies, or being ok with it because you aren’t obvious targets—you are, you just are blissfully deluded.

Your comment reminded me of the woman who voted for Trump, but then got upset when he appointed as Secretary of Treasure the man who foreclosed her home.

https://youtu.be/-jIpkrelra0

Same thing with the Indiana worker who is now upset because Trump lied to them about the Carrier job deal. They all got bamboozled by Tic Tac Trump.

https://youtu.be/NZemJ_2Rmco
 gtomustang
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/9/2016 8:33:12 AM
Yes, I read the second article. Liked the point about promoting HC as a champion of woman, being a problem. I'll bet HC never saw Weiner as a career killer b/c that red flag looked much like her own. Laughed at the notion that he "could have fought harder". Funny, you listen to the Republicants, and Obama is a dictator doing more Executive Orders than anyone in history (wrong, I've linked to it in the past enough times). So, which is it? Maybe as a lawyer and a community activitist, he isn't used to being like LBJ and twisting arms. Maybe ya can't please all the people, all the time. Or like the article said, perhaps he trusted too much in the power of intelligence--that if he talked sense, there would be sensible people to stand up to his opponents who "Went low" into "scotched earth".

Yep, Chump wants a TV show, can't understand how that's a conflict of interest. He should ask his pick for the FCC to explain it

http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-net-neutrality-fcc-chair-days-numbered/

oh, maybe that's why he won't get an honest answer. he just doesn't want to hear one get in the way of his narcissism.

Meanwhile, Carrier is confessing its going to invest $16 million not to keep employees Chump said he saved....but to replace them eventually with automation. Y'know, when the Trumpets aren't looking. When their childish attention span has already left, and they're following whatever Twitter their false god is railing about now. I would have gladly supported the Carrier decision if had meant jobs staying, but my cynicism proved right...Chump fooled your ass. Chump made you a chump, and you'll pay $7million in taxes for the benefit of being fooled. Fool you once....

I know, I know, you folks hate it when the Democrats talk down to you. But there's a really good reason why, and over the next 4 years, you're going to see it until you're sick of it. Voting the rich man to save the poor man, especially one with a record of screwing his contractors, is a fool's game. Employment was rising, the stock market was already up 156%, and Trumpets turned their back on it all and said, "we don't want that!"

well, OK then...you aren't going to get success. You can be brought to the water, but apparently you just refuse to drink. No one can force you to walk the path to success. Vlad brought up an excellent book in another thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/books/review/strangers-in-their-own-land-arlie-russell-hochschild.html

About why Trumpets hate the help they get, and why they believed a narcissist claim they are strangers in "their" land. I'll toss in a quote from it:

“You are patiently standing in a long line” for something you call the American dream. You are white, Christian, of modest means, and getting along in years. You are male. There are people of color behind you, and “in principle you wish them well.” But you’ve waited long, worked hard, “and the line is barely moving.”
Then “Look! You see people cutting in line ahead of you!” Who are these interlopers? “Some are black,” others “immigrants, refugees.” They get affirmative action, sympathy and welfare — “checks for the listless and idle.” The government wants you to feel sorry for them.
And who runs the government? “The biracial son of a low-income single mother,” and he’s cheering on the line cutters. “The president and his wife are line cutters themselves.” The liberal media mocks you as racist or homophobic. Everywhere you look, “you feel betrayed.”

so, who tells them their paranoia is how things are? That this isn't progress, that its regress? Is it corporate "astroturf" campaigns?

"Six characters dominate the book, including Harold Areno, who lives on a swamp so polluted even the rugged cypress trees are dead. He and his wife have had cancer. Yet Areno supports politicians hostile to environmental regulation because he cares more about banning abortion. “We vote for candidates that put the Bible where it belongs,” he said.

So, Harold is dying of cancer, his property is ruined by corporate pollution, yet he votes against his needs b/c of what the Bible says. So, ok, Trumpets, let's be honest....is this a logical, rational man? I'm serious, let's put you on record--does he sound like he's acting in his best interest? Or maybe that he's bought into propaganda and fear and hatred? If someone came in and suggested this man be tested for Alzheimers or mental illness, would some part of you think that, yeah, maybe he's ignoring his problems to solve something that doesn't affect his life?

i'm sure the argument will be, "he's free to think what he wants." Yet if his neighbor gets the same cancer and lower property values b/c of the way Harold votes...is only Harold being harmed by his thoughts and reactions?

slippery slope, ain't it? and what if Harold thinks, hey, i'm dying anyway, i'm going to take up arms against abortion...what then? Where do we cross the line into thought crime? if we don't teach Republican propaganda, do we nip all this in the bud? If these questions worry you, consider what Chump's pick for FCC might do to the information you get, which you need in order to make decisions.

you do want to hear the truth, right? not just stories you wish to hear.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What is your prediction for next 4 years?