Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has anyone had a premonition?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 26
Has anyone had a premonition? Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Coma White.....

I don't believe in psychics or mediums either but it's fascinating that your friend described the spirit so clearly.

And.....Igor.....your dreams which came true.

A few years ago my nephew had a dream two nights in a row that our Football Grand Final game scheduled for the Saturday would end in a draw. A Grand Final draw had only ever happened twice in history.

Anyway, the Saturday morning his mates laughed at him when he put a $200 bet that the game would end in a draw making it the third time ever. The odds were next to nothing of course. Well the game DID end in a draw! My nephew won a lot of money that day.
 gtomustang
Msg: 27
Has anyone had a premonition?
Posted: 11/30/2016 8:07:25 AM
Yep, if we only used a small part of our brain, our heads wouldn't throw so much heat during winter. Just like a computer, we lose heat from our head b/c its the part of the body working the hardest. Not to mention, evolutionary-speaking, animals with heavy useless appendages likely couldn't outrun predators. There must be a reason we have brains bigger than birds, b/c we are using all that weight/mass.

Nancy, I agree with "Reading a vibe". Its likely not the best term for what I am describing, however. Those of us who are intelligent, or who are creative, or insightful, can look at a situation and figure out possible outcomes. If the outcome doesn't coincidentally happen, its not that we were dumb. Its just that the final factors didn't come into play, for example, the guy wanting to cut ponytails didn't show up, it was the guy wanting to do other things to strangers. Many people just sleepwalk thru life, distracted with their navel-gazing. Or they can't be bothered to pick up on their surroundings, so focused on what they are doing that second, they can't entertain thoughts of what else could be happening. "Alternate universes", so to speak (tho funny enough, those who believe in AU think it revolves around them. They don't consider they may be the background in someone else's AU). Or maybe the term is "Chaos theory/Butterfly effect".

Those who can read a vibe, may not be in tune with something metaphysical, but instead be so aware of their surroundings compared to other people, they unconsciously "See" the logical outcome of things that haven't happened yet...and then it takes coincidence for the necessary factors to show up at the right time for the "Educated unconscious guess" to follow a natural, logical pattern to the conclusion.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/30/2016 9:27:36 AM
"Like a radio signal, I believe we can pick up on other's intentions if we pay attention. I think some can pick up signals better than others. Like some radios are staticky and some are crystal clear.

Perhaps because he was in close proximity to you ... you were better able to read the signal ?"

I totally agree with this - I'm so glad you took the time to post this !

lol
Posted: 12/1/2016 4:04:56 AM
I myself had thought that your brain cells don't reproduce, that you're born with extra so that when they die they're replaced, and this is why you wouldn't want to use more than you do because then you'd be brain dead relatively quickly...etc. But Jo Van's post prompted me to look into it a bit. Of course some sources "still" say things along the lines of the above. But it seems that the latest understanding is this: Some kinds can reproduce (?); Some kinds can last your entire lifetime; Most of your brain is already in use (at least all areas versus brain cells themselves); And dying cells are replaced by some which are in reserve.

But the part of the myth that I still feel is just a sci fi gimmick is that you can use much more of your brain and magically be significantly more intelligent. But heck, that might be true. Dunno.

My own kind of "experience" (one of them) which might qualify for being posted here is as follows - It's just a kind of dream that I have sometimes. The dream is just like some kind of momentary segment of ordinary daily casual life from someone else's first person perspective. The defining and important characteristic here is that the dream isn't about anything special; Isn't any kind of premonition; Doesn't have any elements that are ever related to me or my life at all; Isn't any kind of thing that I'd have seen on television...not that I know that I didn't see anything on t.v. like it, but that it's not even that kind of thing in the first place. It's something very ordinary and minor. Some little visual glimpse of maybe a street curb then something else in the area that "I" move my eyes to, somewhere in the world apart from myself, and the casual inner thoughts and concerns of the moment of whoever I'm supposed to be at that time. The inner thoughts of the moment are always very daily and commonplace types of things, very specific to that person's life and to that exact moment in time, the kinds of things that really a person only experiences inside their head throughout the day as opposed to anything that you'd see in a t.v. show or read in a book. For those moments, "I" am thinking about something that has nothing to do with me, my locale or anywhere I've been or seen on t.v., nor anything I've ever done. In other words, it's as if I'm conscious inside someone else's head for a few moments, experiencing their inner thoughts and sights of the kind specific to inner experience, and specifically like the kinds of minor private things you're absentmindedly thinking about at any random part of your day.

Now...the problem here is that this all still could've been completely fabricated by my brain. And not even because I thought about this kind of dream happening either, but just because my brain did it all on it's own. And we can't even be sure that I remember it correctly upon wakening.

And that's what really sucks about this kind of stuff. Yes, it'd be really cool if some of this were real...not only because of itself, but because it'd mean that we could learn a lot from it about how things work and what's going on in the larger scheme of things. I mean...shit...if I really am experiencing someone else's consciousness in such totality, despite it understandably being in a random uncontrolled unexpected way...WTF! If we could know for sure, that'd change a lot of our jibber jabber speculation about such things and even more. But that's the problem - really knowing what's really going on. People can proclaim all day long that they "just know" beyond a doubt and don't care what others think...but that doesn't help anything one damned bit unfortunately. And actually this only hinders any progress in understanding, because that reflects a closing-off of any investigation into the matter by themselves or any other parties. We also know for a fact that people take that stance all of the time and are about as wrong and dishonest as they could be about something, and that doesn't help their case. We also know all about how people can deceive themselves in certain ways, and can be found to be very erroneous in how they think and understand other things, which also doesn't help their case. Really...if some of these things were real...I'd f-cking want to know. But the closed-minded "I don't care what you think because I just know" attitudes, while claiming that it's other people who're closed-minded, not only helps cut us off from knowing what's true and what's not (even for the one person theirself to even know), but it takes away from their credibility.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/1/2016 9:30:05 PM

I don't believe in psychics or mediums either but it's fascinating...

Most mediums are basically crack pots
But we must be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath-water

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/marlo-thomas-it-aint-over-after-years-of-keeping-secrets-a-psychic-medium-begins-solving-crimes_n_1904892.html
 Jo van
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/2/2016 4:50:39 AM

But we must be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath-water

Yule, as you've probably gathered, I'm something of a sceptic about these things.
(The $1million Prize from Randi still remains unclaimed )

I read the link you posted, and there seem to be some anomalies.

“I saw a lady who told me she was my great grandmother,” Kristy explained, “and she said that I should let my mother know that my grandma was going to die and she needed to be prepared. At three years old, I didn’t really understand that dying was a bad thing. So when my grandparents were over for a visit, I said, ‘Grandma needs to leave now, she’s going to die.’

“I got a spanking and from that moment on, if I was talking about my friends and I saw my mother give me that look, I’d go into the closet and talk to them.”

Six months later, Kristy’s grandmother did die and before the funeral her mother asked her how she knew. Once again Kristy explained her great grandmother’s appearance and that she showed her angel feathers. Her mother turned to her and said softly, “I see crows”, and then went inside the house, sobbing.

First, how many people can remember specific conversations they had, when they were 3?? - I can't.
Secondly; "predicting" the death of an elderly relative isn't really a "trick", unless you do it the day before, and it was completely unexpected.
"Six months later" doesn't really qualify, as a "prediction", IMO.

Next the case she "solved":

“She told me her name and that she’d been kidnapped and murdered,” Kristy recalled. “Her family thought she was missing and she wanted them to know the truth.

(my bold)
But this:

Unbeknownst to Kristy, the police had believed all along the boyfriend had been involved, but they needed evidence that could hold up in court.

Would seem to imply that "foul play" was suspected "all along".
Of course, it's perfectly possible that the family were 'clinging' to the possibility that she was still alive. That's natural.
It just doesn't 'add-up'. -The police had obviously questioned her boyfriend
She didn't "solve" this crime.

So they refused to break ground — until months later, when he was arrested — suspected of murdering his mother and her boyfriend. That’s when he took them to Ashley’s body, encased in concrete, in the very plot of land Kristy had led the rangers to.

He was arrested for a different crime, and confessed. (? presumably?)
Note that it doesn't say "and led them to the exact spot."
-It says " in the very plot of land Kristy had led the rangers to. "
A "plot of land" could be quite a big area. Ie. the whole "park" ( as in "Park rangers"?)
So if this happened at all, all she did was to "predict" that the body of a missing woman, was buried in a large park area, (?) somewhere near the region where she had formerly lived, and then been missing from.

It would be more "impressive" (IMO) if she had led the police to a body buried on the other side of the country, from where they had gone missing.
This could be nothing more than an "educated guess".
And she admits herself, she got the information from the internet.
Maybe one of the (gullible) cops who visited her, had "accidentally" mentioned some cases they were working on. -Who knows.?

This woman, who makes a living from this, and "life coaching", and writing books, is just "bigging herself up".
She (Obviously) hasn't told us about the thousands of other "predictions" which she'd doubtless got completely wrong.
This is her story, told by her, and completely unsubstantiated.

IMO., Some "mediums" are basically crack pots, most "mediums" are just crooks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts 'peddling' this stuff too, to appeal to this "demographic": the "believers",
-Simply because there's obviously a "market" for it , and wherever there's a market, there's always money to be made, and/or political gain to be had, by exploiting the gullible.

I try to keep an open mind.
If anyone could really DO this type of thing, we'd all know about it,
-or at least, the people with a curiosity about life, and science, and history, and anthropology, and cosmology, and quantum physics, and what we do know, and what we don't yet know, and what we think we know,
would know about it.
So far.... Zilch.

I've always thought that some simple "consumer legislation" could prevent such exploitation of the vulnerable..
If you can't prove your "claims", then you should cease making them.
That would also stop religions making such ridiculous claims too.
Have a nice Friday.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/2/2016 5:31:30 AM
I think mediums give the people what they want.. snake oil salesmanship many but it provides a measure of comfort. I contacted one after my Husband died, expensive bunch of nothing but I honestly felt better for it at the time. Now I know I was ripped off, shrug. Reminds me of this guy shelled out big money to buy a DVD on eBay " How to make yourself Invisible" His feedback was
" I've blew money on dumber shyt" Made me wonder what LOL
 daynadaze
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2016 10:44:02 AM
I put this stuff in there with Urban Legends, you know, mostly it's stories about someone, knew someone, who was related to someone and who did this amazing thing. I know when I was a kid my mother told me that my Aunt dreamed of a white horse and the next day their brother died in a car wreck. I was pretty young, I have no idea what she actually said, but in my mind I heard that my Aunt could tell the future deaths of relatives. I told this story many times to others, I'm sure it grew & grew and they probably told others too. As an adult, it turns out that my Aunt did have a dream about a white horse, a month or more before my Uncle died in a car crash, but one thing of course had nothing to do with the other, until a couple of sisters got together and turned it into a prediction.

Another thing about this story was my mother had told me many times that my Uncle was killed by his best friend driving drunk on a bridge, they hit each other head on, my Uncle died, the drunk best friend lived to serve his life in prison. Turns out, it was a head-on collision on a bridge and my Uncle did die and the drunk driver did live, and he did some time in jail. But, they were not best friends, no one knew if they even knew each other, but it was a very small town so they might have. My Uncle was a very friendly guy, hung out in bars (I assume he drank while in these bars) and may have been drunk himself at the time of the crash. It seems to be human nature to add to stories, making them all the more tragic.
 deetristate
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/2/2016 1:24:07 PM
Nay, nay, nay.

An interesting discussion would be:
What DO you believe in and why?
 BeckyHT
Msg: 35
view profile
History
More than just premonition.
Posted: 12/2/2016 5:43:01 PM
In the earlier part of my adult life, I read about keeping dream logs, so I did that for a number of years. When you wake up, you just write down as much as you can about your dream... main points. It helps you to remember better, with better detail.

I had some specific dreams, where I woke up, and told myself, this is real, this is the future, it is going to happen. People I knew, and events. They all did come true. I realized I had a way of identifying 'true dreams'. But it wasn't like these sorts of dreams happened all the time, sometimes several years would be between them.

Most recently, about 2 years ago, I had a dream about a young talented woman I worked with, that she was going to lose her job. A 'true' dream. I wanted to tell her, but I also knew to not say a thing in the office, so I told my daughter who lives in another state. It was less than a month later, that this young lady left, under pressure, and moved to Washington.

Back on 9 /11, the radio show Armstrong and Getty, had a call in show a few months later, about people who reported they had dreamed for fore-coming of this event. A whole hour was filled up with people calling in with accurate dreams. I remember one woman, who called in about someone in her office, that had told coworkers pretty exact details, before the event. Images of the towers coming down and inexplicable turmoil. I actually have a close friend who had one of these dreams, although she didn't call the radio show.

Yes, there is more than just premonition.

Do any of you remember the 2007 show "America's Psychic Challenge". I loved it!
 Nancybythebay
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/2/2016 7:06:19 PM
@ Drink.......your post was very deep and I thank you for that. I had to read it a couple of times though to absorb all that you wrote. :)

Yes, there is more than just premonition.

I agree. Our brains are complex whether we use only a certain percentage or not.

Another little story I'd like to share is one that was confirmed by a number of people.......
I was told that many years ago when my (now) sister in law was about 9 years old, she went on a holiday to England. They had never been to England before. They stayed in a tiny country village somewhere where the homes still stood from the Tudor period.

On their first day they walked around the little village taking in the sights as tourists do. While walking around the historical village they were delighted at the many little creeks and streams and cobble stone paths at the back and/or front of these hundreds of years old homes. (Australia doesn't have such history so they were fascinated.)

Anyway, at one point I was told that she (my sister in law as a child) suddenly stopped and squealed and ran to a house pointing at it and said she remembered it. She spoke of a little creek running behind it and a "Pippin" tree as she called it, which she said she climbed with her sister to see who could get the most apples at "fruit time."
(The "Golden Pippin" apple dates back to the 1700's).

She didn't have a sister; only her brother whom I married. Apparently her description of the house and surrounds was in exact detail.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2016 7:57:38 PM
I' ve had a few more "premonitions" than the one I mentioned.
About 35 years ago I had a dream about a lot of blood in a field. It bothered me so much I told my family about it. Two weeks later a family friend committed suicide in a field.
He had been to visit me shortly before the dream. Maybe he was contemplating suicide but he never said anything to me. I may have picked up on his energy.
About two years ago I was sitting in my yard and a butterfly landed on me. My first thought was that someone I knew was going to die.One of my best friends died a week later of a heart attack.
Then last year in December, I was going to the bank with my son. I was worried about money and not having a job. I got the thought and said out loud that if I saw a feather that day everything would be ok.
When I got out of the van at the bank and looked down there was a feather on the ground.
I got a lead on a job that day and ended up getting it. I always tell someone when I get thoughts now just in case something comes of it.
I also smelled my gramma's perfume when she passed. Nobody was home when that happened, it was pretty cool.
 Jo van
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/3/2016 4:32:32 AM

Nay, nay, nay.

An interesting discussion would be:
What DO you believe in and why?

Dee...
I've been faced with this sort of 'passive-aggressive' "accusation" before, many times.
That somehow, having a "belief", makes YOU a "better person", and the implication is that not-having them, leaves some sort of a 'void'.
It is, of course, nonsense.

Here are my "beliefs", they've been on my profile since I was first asked:

I believe that in the past, people held erroneous beliefs, but these have been discredited by science, and new information.I believe there is much we still don't know:About "Time", the universe, Gravity, Quantum Physics, "String Theory", "Dark Matter/Energy/Flow", in the past, any phenomena which was inexplicable was attributed to "Supernatural Forces/Deities".
I believe it's fine to say "We just don't know, yet".

I believe that the human mind/Brain is incredible.
-We don't know how it works, yet, but we do know that there are very strong "mind-body" links:
I believe that you can "think" yourself "Ill", and become "Ill" with actual real physical problems.
I believe that you can "think" yourself "well", and cure yourself (see Placebo Effect).
(Medical science, and the Pharmaceutical Industry haven't spent as much researching this effect as I'd like.)

I believe that it may be possible for the human mind to affect things outside of the body too (Does this make me a "nutter"..?) See "The Observer Effect"
I believe the human mind may work on some "Quantum" principles, with simultaneous 'events' being 'orchestrated' throughout the brain, whenever you have a "thought", and that this same simultaneous quantum "unification" type effects may be able to affect particles outside the body, as well as within it.
If you extrapolate, you can easily arrive at the conclusion that "everything is connected" (maybe by what we currently call "Dark Matter..? -Which seems to constitute about 80% of the mass in the Universe)
New technology is giving neurology new insights into the workings of the brain, all the time.

I believe that certain "altered states of consciousness" may be possible, and that the rituals may facilitate that, but that the religious 'iconography' associated with these 'states' are not necessary, they are purely placebos.

I believe that there may turn out to be some "genetic memory" which is somehow transmitted inside the DNA. I base this on the behaviours observable in the "natural world", eg., nest building and breeding "knowledge", migration, synchronisation, and a return to the place where they were conceived. Currently we dismiss an awful lot with the phrase "natural instincts"..
I believe that this may turn out to be the basis for "reincarnation" myths, or "Eternal Life" myths.

I believe that My Dad is "in" me, and that I'm already "in" my sons, even though I'm not dead yet.
I believe we carry the "genetic baton", for our "leg", and then we pass, and the "baton" continues on.

I believe that there is only one "Human Race", but with an enormous amount of genetic variation.
I believe that ALL "beliefs in difference", (whether that's "Race", "Religions", or "Nationalities") are erroneous, and divisive and "primitive", and that we only perpetuate them, out of a misguided notion of "respect" for the past, and our ancestors.

I believe that most people are inherently "good", and that we all want the same things.
I believe we are unimportant, and insignificant, but that religions pretend otherwise.
I believe in science and knowledge, and exploration, and examination, and investigation.

But most of all, recently, I have developed an optimism, and an unswerving belief in TRUTH,
I believe in "Inevitable Truth", I believe that it's the "quiescent state",
and that all deviations from it, require energy and effort. (See "Religion")
I believe in "energy conservation".

I believe that things are changing, sometimes that's painful for those who cling to the "old beliefs".
I believe there is "hope", and I believe there is merit in striving for something better.
I believe that that's my 'obligation', to my forbears, and to my descendants.

HTH
"These are my principles. - If you don't like them, -I have others.". ~ Groucho Marx. (Karl's brother)
Have a pleasant Saturday.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2016 6:53:12 AM
I don't believe in MAGIC, per se. I do know what I have experienced, and that some of what I have experienced suggests that there is more to consciousness and perception that physicalities of sound and vision and so on.

One simile to ponder: if you want to hear what is going on around you, shouting is likely to interfere with your success. In the same way I suspect that sensing minute real things such as other people or creatures' brainwaves, is the same. The more loudly you are THINKING about brainwaves, the more you are shouting with your own, and are unlikely to "hear" others.

I am some one who takes in a lot of information from a lot of sources very rapidly, so many of the occasions where I may have seemed to "magically" know more about what was going on, and what was going to happen than others were, wasn't due to ESP or anything like that, it was due to my very rapidly and logically assembling my physical observations, matching them up with previous lessons learned, and putting together what proved to be an accurate guestimation of what was to come.

But there have been a few instances where the information I had in advance was specific, detailed, and therefore impossible to have assembled through deduction. Most of those experiences were meaningless, such as dreaming that I was sitting at a certain table, and the certain other people were there, and that they said a sequence of specific, but unimportant things... followed some weeks later by my actually participating in the experience. More serious such experiences, include dreaming that I was sitting on my mothers' couch, and she was explaining to me carefully that a cousin had died suddenly. That one "came true" about a week later as well.

I suspect all of this is due to the way the world does and doesn't work, and not due to some willful force acting on us, and not due to any special "powers" I personally would be said to have.
 Jo van
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/3/2016 8:10:27 AM
^^ All I know, is that the kind of people who claim to be able to do this, usually get it wrong, 99.9999% of the time.
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

I seem to remember that every year, there's a new set of predictions, and every year, they look to see if any of them did get close. And it's only the vague, ambiguous "predictions" which can usually be said to be "true", but only "if you interpret them, in a a certain way".

The phenomenon of "deja vu" is quite common.
I actually think that when you "have a dream", your brain is simultaneously "exploring" ALL other possibilities, like "phantom excursions", or wave/particle 'duality', in quantum physics.
And that it's your 'waking' or 'conscious' brain which is then 'fixing' just one of them, (Like the 'Observer effect".) and often done 'with hindsight'.
The best analogy I can think of, is like when you're looking at clouds, and you "see" a shape, or maybe a face, and then can't "see" all the other possibilities.
There are many examples of "optical illusions", which demonstrate the bias and fallibility in our vision and brain.
I think there's usually a logical explanation for people thinking they've "predicted" something in a dream.
IMO., If it could happen, then you've probably already had a dream, where it "did" happen.

Everything is changing, all the time.
You can't "predict" the future, you can extrapolate, in the way you've described.
You can forecast likely, or inevitable events, like deaths etc.

Those people who claim to be able to "predict" things, don't seem to be able to prove it.
IMO., it's like firing buckshot at a very small, specific target.
People ignore the millions of 'misses', and only focus on the one 'hit', as if it's some sort of 'proof'.
How come no-one's predicted the lottery yet, 2 weeks running?

I don't doubt that there was probably somebody, somewhere, who successfully "predicted" that Donald Trump would become US President someday, and that he made that "prediction", way back, in the '70s, when he was just another megalomaniacal, narcissistic, ambitious millionaire.

You can't "see" the future, because it doesn't exist, yet.
I remain to be convinced.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2016 8:10:35 AM

I don't believe in MAGIC, per se.

No one called this 'Magic'.
I never, ever thought of my experiences as 'Magic'.

due to the way the world does and doesn't work

This statement is rather nebulous.

Maleman999
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/3/2016 8:38:14 AM
A common expression, when something bad happens to a family member or close friend, is "I had a gut feeling something bad was going to happen", as if they have insight into a future event (but decided to do nothing to prevent it). Aren't they confusing knowing something bad was going to happen versus just knowing there's an element of danger to whatever activity was going to happen-like their teenage kid driving or being driven to a house party where there may be drugs and alcohol consumption involved, or some dangerous activity, like diving off of a cliff into a river, and knowing that something can go wrong? Some people are worry warts, and always worry about danger whenever a family member is out of sight, then say they had a gut feeling when something does go wrong-even though they had a gut feeling every time the same situation arises and nothing goes wrong.
 Tomfiend
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/3/2016 8:44:13 AM
It is true that nobody has ever been able to claim the Amazing Randi's One million dollar award for anybody who could prove they had paranormal or extra sensory perception. Many tried...all failed.

On the other hand, we really do not know all that much about the quantum world and it is not beyond the realm of possibility to assume that the brain emits eletronic waves that are somehow sensed by other brains.

And it is not beyond the realm of possibility to assume that the energy and information stored in the brain does not die with the death of the host . . but somehow goes on in another host, or with the Universe itself.

We are essentially the equivalent of amoebas regarding how much we know about the Universe in which we live, all of the scientific break throughs over the last hundred years not withstanding.

In the end, there is no such thing as the Supernatural. We all live in a natural world. We just don't have a complete understanding of the natural world in which we live, and that natural world may well allow for the transference of all kinds of information. Not magic . . . merely the physical laws of the universe in play . . . beyond our understanding.
 Tomfiend
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/3/2016 8:53:09 AM
And by the way, many scientists believe the future exists simultaneously with the present and the past. the old time is an illusion argument.. They are simply separated in the time-space continuum. I remember reading studies in Scientific American where at the quantum level, they have been able to prove that the movement of particles in the present was effected by events that happened in the future. So if the Future already exists . . . who is to say that information is not somehow passed to the present? http://secondnexus.com/technology-and-innovation/physicists-demonstrate-how-time-can-seem-to-run-backward-and-the-future-can-affect-the-past/
 daynadaze
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2016 10:48:55 AM
Personally I believe in Santa Claus.
 Tomfiend
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/3/2016 1:18:46 PM
^^^^ Except the facts show Santa is simply a character invented by man, just like the Tooth Fairy. We already have enough leftists and rightists on this board who care nothing for facts. Besides, believing in a mythical character like Santa is harmless fun and has nothing to do with people believing in the paranormal. Of course, the paranormal does not exist . . merely the normal which we do not understand.
 deetristate
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/3/2016 3:27:10 PM
I type here on a phone that is conveying information over waves and particles that I can't see. Who knows all that is going on around us?

It is all possible and some may be able to see those particles, like dogs hear things that we can't.
 daynadaze
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2016 4:17:55 PM
And we could be an entire universe sitting on top of a pinhead, but I don't suggest you put any money on it.
 pfif
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2016 8:41:58 PM
Very few people have a considered notion on how any
transfer of knowledge, from one person to another,
might take place .. ah .. directly, as it were. Rather
than through speech, vision, hearing, touch and especially,
encounters with that very person, at reasonably close
distances.

So they make stuff up. They have to, since there isn't
any sort of agreed-upon objective evidence to show a
shared view on how this happens (if it does happen).

What we do have, and must not overlook, is a vast story-telling
network, that people piggy-back their distortions onto, in
such a manner that truly awful information (about stories,
especially made-up ones) propagates, along with the legitimate
information (whatever that consists of -- call it Gricean
Science, in contrast to Anti-Gricean Science**).

So, odd stories begin to solidify into cultural artifacts
that, even though wholly false, are taken as-if true in
some fashion.

People do build on that. That's the awful part.
________
**John Tooby and Leda Cosmides. Wikipedia's article
on Stephen Jay Gould has a link (#67, currently) to Tooby
and Cosmides, for an unpublished letter to the Editor of
The New York Review of Books that addresses what they
refer to as 'anti-Gricean' science.
 Jo van
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/4/2016 5:17:06 AM

And it is not beyond the realm of possibility to assume that the energy and information stored in the brain does not die with the death of the host . . but somehow goes on in another host, or with the Universe itself.

Ah. "reincarnation".
The belief that once a living thing exists, it's so very "important" to the universe, that it must live on, forever.
-Or rather, only a human living thing.
-Or does this apply to other animals who also possess intelligence too?
The energy used by the brain (and not "stored" there!) is derived from burning calories and oxygen.
Once the brain ceases to be thus 'fueled', it ceases to function, in much the same way your computer does, without power.

As for "the soul"; there have been about 15x as many people who have died, in the past, for every one, who is alive today. (And I think that estimate only goes back about 50,000 years. Humans actually began diverging from the other primates, about 6 million years ago)
Where did all the other "souls" go?
-And, where did all these "souls" originally "come from"?
-Because there was nothing alive here, at all, before about 4 billion years ago.
Were they "alien souls", just floating somewhere in the cosmos, waiting for the formation of a suitable universe?

IMO., This is just a manifestation of the (entirely natural, and logical, and "evolved") fear of death, by people who just can't face-up to that reality.
Or perhaps it's a manifestation of an over-inflated ego, which overestimates any individual's "importance".
It's a nice "straw" to clutch at, and gives some comfort to the frightened.

There was a time before I existed, there was a time before the world existed.
There will be a time when I no longer exist, again.
We're really not all that important.
IMO., about as "important" as the life of any individual ant.

We have absolutely no knowledge, or records, of the lives of individual humans 50,000 years ago, or 100,000 years ago, or a million years ago, other than the archaeological remains we have found.

If we could access "the information stored in the brain " of someone "almost human", from 100,000 years ago, what do you suppose it would "think"?
-And WHY do you believe that that "information" (or probably, more accurately, a complete lack of information. ) would or should endure.?
It makes no sense.

Dee:

I type here on a phone that is conveying information over waves and particles that I can't see. Who knows all that is going on around us?

It is all possible and some may be able to see those particles, like dogs hear things that we can't.

Well, some of us already understand radio-wave propagation.
I think you're getting confused between "telepathy", -the alleged ability to communicate 'in real time',
and "seeing the future", before it's actually happened, or exists.
AFAIK., there has so far, been no proof that either exists.

The people who claim they can do this, make all sorts of excuses, for why it didn't work, when tested.
Most often, it's; "Because there were sceptics present".
-That's just another way of saying; "it only works, when there are only gullible people" present.

Until I see some proof, I shall remain convinced (PREDICTION!!!) that this is just another superstitious "old-wives-tale", another myth, from a time when we knew a whole lot less, than what we know now.

here are some failed predictions, to peruse, on this lovely, sunny Sunday morning,
- and these are just the [i
religious ones!

2001 Tynnetta Muhammad This columnist for the Nation of Islam predicted the end would occur in this year.

2002 Various Yoruba Yoruba priests predicted dramatic tragedy and crisis in 2002, including coups, war, disease, and flooding.

2003 May 27 Nancy Lieder Lieder originally predicted the date for the Nibiru collision as May 2003. According to her website, aliens in the Zeta Reticuli star system told her through messages via a brain implant of a planet which would enter our solar system and cause a pole shift on Earth that would destroy most of humanity.

2003 Nov 29 Aum Shinrikyo This Japanese cult predicted the world would be destroyed by a nuclear war between October 30 and November 29, 2003.

2006 Sep 12 House of Yahweh Yisrayl Hawkins, Pastor and Overseer, The House of Yahweh, Abilene, Texas in the Feb. 2006 newsletter predicted the start of a nuclear war on September 12, 2006.

2007 Apr 29 Pat Robertson In his 1990 book The New Millennium, Robertson suggests this date as the day of Earth's destruction.

2010 Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn This order predicted the world would end during this year.

2011 May 21 Harold Camping Camping predicted that the Rapture and devastating earthquakes would occur on May 21, 2011 with God taking approximately 3% of the world's population into Heaven, and that the end of the world would occur five months later on October 21. 2011 end times prediction

2011 Sep 29 Ronald Weinland Ronald Weinland stated Jesus Christ would return on this day. He prophesied nuclear explosions in U.S. port cities by July 2008 as the blowing of the Second Trumpet of Revelation. After his prophecy failed to come true he changed the date for the return of Jesus Christ to May 27, 2012.

2011 Oct 21 Harold Camping When his original prediction failed to come about, Camping revised his prediction and said that on May 21, a "Spiritual Judgment" took place, and that both the physical Rapture and the end of the world would occur on October 21, 2011. 2011 end times prediction

2011 Aug–Oct Various There were fears amongst the public that Comet Elenin travelling almost directly between Earth and the Sun would cause disturbances to the Earth's crust, causing massive earthquakes and tidal waves. Others predicted that Elenin would collide with Earth on October 16. Scientists tried to calm fears by stating that none of these events were possible.

2012 May 27 Ronald Weinland Ronald Weinland stated that Jesus Christ would return and the world would end on this day.

2012 Jun 30 José Luis de Jesús José Luis de Jesús predicted that the world's governments and economies would fail on this day, and that he and his followers would undergo a transformation that would allow them to fly and walk through walls.

2012 Dec 21 Various The supposed Mayan apocalypse at the end of the 13th b'ak'tun. The Earth would be destroyed by an asteroid, Nibiru, or some other interplanetary object; an alien invasion; or a supernova. Mayanist scholars stated that no extant classic Maya accounts forecasted impending doom, and that the idea that the Long Count calendar ends in 2012 misrepresented Maya history and culture.[99][100][101] Scientists from NASA, along with expert archeologists, stated that none of those events were possible.

2013 Aug 23 Grigori Rasputin Rasputin prophesied a storm would take place on this day where fire would destroy most life on land and Jesus Christ would come back to Earth to comfort those in distress.

2014 Apr – 2015 Sep John Hagee and Mark Biltz The so-called Blood Moon Prophecy, first predicted by Mark Blitz in 2008 and then by John Hagee in 2014. These Christian ministers claim that the tetrad in 2014 and 2015 may allegedly represent prophecies given in the Bible relating to the second coming of Jesus Christ.

2016 Jul 29 End Time Prophecies A viral video from the YouTube channel "End Time Prophecies" claimed that the world would end on this day. They predicted that the Earth would undergo a "polar flip", which would apparently cause the Earth's atmosphere to be pulled to the ground as the surface reels like a vacuum, causing a "rolling cloud" to cover the planet. They also claimed that a worldwide "megaquake" would ensue.

As you might imagine/"predict", there were an awful lot of "predictions" leading up to the year 2,000.
That's because the sorts of people, who make "predictions", haven't yet figured out that there's absolutely no real "significance" to our currently chosen method of counting years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

All these "predictions" were made by the very "top, professional predictors".
If you make enough "predictions", sooner or later, you must get something right, right

"Clairvoyants": I predict failure.
Have a nice Sunday,
the weather forecast is good.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has anyone had a premonition?