Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has anyone had a premonition?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 51
Has anyone had a premonition? Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
"If you make enough "predictions", sooner or later, you must get something right, right?"
"the weather forecast is good."

It makes me wonder how the Farmer's Almanac makes weather predictions for an upcoming season. If it says it's going to be a bad winter, they have a 50/50 chance of being right. Plus people's perception of what's considered good weather and bad weather varies for each person. Is there any track record of how often they're right and wrong? Also, wouldn't there have to a different almanac for each region, since weather varies from place to place? There could be a time in winter when there's a dusting of snow in my area, and 80 or 90 miles north of me, there could be two feet of snow.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 52
Has anyone had a premonition?
Posted: 12/4/2016 6:31:12 AM
The most famous Mr. Know it All - Nostradamus still has his works in print .
And Edgar Canyce
Jo - maybe they come back as an insect or an animal.
 deetristate
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/4/2016 7:12:44 AM
I understand now that many of you get comfort in believing in nothing.

I get that.

To each his reach and whatever works for you.
It is interesting to discuss things like this.
But. . .
Believers, don't force nonbelievers to believe and follow your ways.
Nonbelievers, do not attempt to force others, whether by derision or attempting to feel superior, to let go what works for them.

It's all very simple.
 Jo van
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/4/2016 7:17:32 AM

Jo - maybe they come back as an insect or an animal.

Hmmm,, I pity the poor stick-insect that has to carry, in his tiny head, all the "information stored in the brain", of me! Along with all my neuroses.

Then there's always the problem of life-spans.
Few animals live as long as us, and no insects.
Many butterflies only live for a couple of weeks, in their adult forms.
But they live on pure nectar, and shag themselves to death.
So, ' swings and roundabouts'..... I suppose...
The poor Mayfly has no mouth, and only lives for about a day, as an adult.

And it still comes back to the question of "where did all these "souls" come from, to begin with"..?
Originally, there was no life here.

And what about the "mass extinction" events, which killed-off about 94% (?) of species?
Did the "souls" of all those dead animals also somehow, get perpetuated in the minds of the remaining 6%, from whom we are all descended? (I think I remember reading that all mammals are descended from little, 'ratty', burrowing creatures.?)
The maths just don't add up.

Life: Enjoy it, while you've got it, I say.

"Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think" ~Socrates

I like the thought that my atoms will be scattered, everywhere, and I will become a part of many things.
Eventually, whole new universes.... probably...
We replace most of them anyway, about every 6 years, apparently.. so...
Cosmic recycling....
Now that's the future...
 Ouija2025
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/4/2016 7:33:08 AM
For some being a butterfly would be a step up
I thought cryonics the future. I sense that's a gimmick to part people from their money.
Meanwhile they would only need to save the head. That would be a creepy plant to work in.
 Jo van
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/4/2016 7:51:35 AM

I thought cryonics the future. I sense that's a gimmick to part people from their money.
There's just been a court case here, where that was the dying wish of a terminally-ill teenage girl, but her parents had got divorced.
She was under the age of consent, so it needed the consent of both parents.
She won.
-If being dead, can be considered "winning".
I think £20,000 or £40,000 was mentioned

I'd be too worried about "waking up", on a new body, and then the first thing I did, was to spit a pube...
Or worse; cough-up a whole hair-ball.
It's like waking-up at the dentist's, and first, noticing footprints on the armrests,
and then, when you get home, finding your underpants are on, back-to-front...

I think that for most people, life's a struggle.
Eventually, they just get tired.

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow-down.
 deetristate
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/4/2016 10:34:20 AM
Ouija.

Cryonics. Is that science similar to the technology of putting people to sleep to wake up decades later on the way to some distant planet? I hear that they are actually working on that.

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2016 10:37:13 AM

I don't believe in MAGIC, per se.

No one called this 'Magic'.
I never, ever thought of my experiences as 'Magic'.

due to the way the world does and doesn't work

This statement is rather nebulous.

You haven't understood me.

I am using the term MAGIC to refer to anything where the person assumes that no natural, scientifically observable mechanism is involved. And yes, LOTS of people call things like ESP "magic," in the sense that they declare that it is the result of things that are outside of science altogether. The reason for, and primary definition of the term "Supernatural," is to refer to whatever the person presumes CANNOT be understood or explained through reliable science.

Yes, the second statement is "nebulous," in the sense that I did not write any specific details into the statement. However, it is stated that way on purpose. It is a way to express that I do NOT think that any of this is actually SUPERNATURAL, and in expressing that, it is not "nebulous" at all.
 Tomfiend
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/4/2016 11:24:31 AM
Jovan...all your cynicism and you have no explanation for consciousness, why you happen to be in the here and now, nor can you explain the mysteries of reality and how the future can effect the present in the Quantum world.

You are totally ignorant. As are we all. To the mysteries of the universe, as we all are, so your simple solution is to deny those inexplainable mysteries exist. Who knows, perhaps the answer to those mysteries might lead to a god like enitty you also could not accept.

You also hide behind your assumptions with no evidence of the same. The assumption that some of us believe as we do because of fear of death or to feel more important than we are. I.e., you double down on your ignorance and project an excuse for your closed mind by making assumptions about the rest of us, completely missing the point that some of us seek answers and knowledge for nothing more than knowledge itself.

Of course you are not alone on this board. You just seem to revel more than most in telling the rest of us what truth is...your truth anyway.
 gtomustang
Msg: 60
I tried working in cyrogenics, but i couldn't get a head
Posted: 12/4/2016 11:42:47 AM
"people who believe in nothing" likely will tell you they believe in...science.

"I'd be too worried about "Waking up" on a new body"

>>>there's a thought--feminazis make men irrelevant in the future. Conservative male cryogenic clients wake up on female body. Now have to argue over who uses the bathroom, all over again.

Feelings and consciousness may just be chemicals released in a brain. Those who work with animals find they can have different personalities and some have self recognition. Does that mean we should stop eating them and testing on them, and give them the same respect we give humanity (or, um, hopefully more than we give our fellow humans?). If climate change affects their migration patterns, are we responsible to take care of that? or are we just anthropomorphizing out of egocentricity?

Sometimes, a mystery isn't a mystery, its just we refuse to accept an explanation of "you applied a meaning to something random." We wish to believe, so we believe in our wishes. Even black holes leave a trace, a proof of their existence. We didn't understand what was causing the light to disappear, but then we finally found out thru science. We thought the world was flat, so what was at the edge was a mystery. Now its not a mystery to explain what's at the edge of the world.

the problem with predicting the future is, the future has to exist somewhere in order to be seen by some of us. If it exists, how much free will do we have left? If we change the present in order to avoid the future, then what's the ability of the future to stay the way it is so that after we change it, we can look at the new future we've created and read that, too? or will we read the old future, not the new future that happened when great grandma had her palm read and ended up marrying someone else so we have their genes and not the genes we were supposed to have in order to be the people we should be and live that life instead of this one?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/4/2016 11:59:34 AM
Jo, I read all about that case.. they had well non professionals ( as if there are real ones) tending to the body. Since she was dead I doubt she can be revived.
A man paid a fortune to freeze his head.
One of my Mother's BFs refused to sign the owner donor as he worried he'd not be beyond saving but some rich person would need a vital body part.
Feel free to give my knees to the needY ( song, it is a song line)
John Prine Please don't bury me
 daynadaze
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2016 12:14:18 PM
Ah yes, the Twilight Zone, where we are just so darn limited in out reach into the unknown, that we do not understand what amazing things are out there, just waiting for our greedy need to exist forever as some form of mega importance. And never let us get by without the passive/aggressive slam of believing in nothing, which is apparently science. LOL

Of course everything out there in the universe, or maybe just underground right here on Earth, is so much more intelligent then we are, so beyond out grasp, so spectacular...and all that's stopping us is our gall darn science that makes us not believe in the impossible! However have we survived, we must be incredibly annoying to all other living species.
 Jo van
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/4/2016 12:16:39 PM
Marilyn...

Jovan...all your cynicism and you have no explanation for consciousness, why you happen to be in the here and now,

No one asked me to explain consciousness.
IMO., it's just the collected and collated inputs of our sensory organs, stored as 'memories', and 'processed' by our 'cpu', the brain.
As for why I'm in the "here and now", well, I think there's been a terrible mistake...
Seriously? You don't know why you're here? Ask your parents..

You are totally ignorant. As are we all. To the mysteries of the universe, as we all are,

Ummmm.... Ok then.. (?)

so your simple solution is to deny those inexplainable mysteries exist.

Now, you're just saying stuff....
Here's what I posted, directly from my profile, where it's been for at least 6 years, in Msg 39:

I believe that in the past, people held erroneous beliefs, but these have been discredited by science, and new information.I believe there is much we still don't know:"Time", the universe, Gravity, Quantum Physics, "String Theory", "Dark Matter/Energy/Flow", in the past, any phenomena which was inexplicable was attributed to "Supernatural Forces/Deities".
I believe it's fine to say "We just don't know, yet".

What part of that was me "denying mysteries"..?
[quote Who knows, perhaps the answer to those mysteries might lead to a god like enitty you also could not accept.

The claims of the people who believe in "god-like entities", are that "he" made his presence known, to various people, ane "performed miracles", that's how they claimed to know about "him" in the first place.
That's all "he" has to do.
Just do that, again.
It's not difficult, well, not for a "god" anyway.. apparently.

It shouldn't be necessary to have to go looking for "him", he's supposed to be "everywhere".
Including watching all his own, "chosen" by him, "priests", raping all those children,
in the very places where we're told we should go to "contact him".
Is that the sort of "mystery" you mean?

You also hide behind your assumptions with no evidence of the same. The assumption that some of us believe as we do because of fear of death or to feel more important than we are.

You can only speak for yourself, so you've no way of knowing whether or not "some people" might feel that way.

Religions are a 'death cult'.
They promise something, which people want to believe in: "Eternal life".
If you believe in religions, then you believe in that too, because that's what they tell you to believe.
That's a fact. Not my opinion.
Deny it all you like.

Me?
Whenever anyone talks about death, I just put my fingers in my ears, and go "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala",
until they stop.
It works just as well.

I.e., you double down on your ignorance and project an excuse for your closed mind by making assumptions about the rest of us, completely missing the point that some of us seek answers and knowledge for nothing more than knowledge itself.

Madam,
My mind is completely open, I assure you.
-That's how all the religion fell out.

You have simply believed what you were taught , and never thought to question it, that's almost the definition of a 'closed mind'.

Why only believe in one religion? Hey, why not believe in ALL of them?
And they ALL claim to have all that "knowledge and answers" you seek, "Glasshopper:
-Think of all the extra holidays you could have!!

Please don't flatter yourself with all that mystical bullshit, like "seeking answers",
you're just angry because I don't believe in "jews".
Are you going to get all hysterical again?
Are you going to wish someone kills me, while you watch, again?

My mind is completely open, for evidence.
You haven't got any.
Have a nice day.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2016 12:37:37 PM
gtomustang:
the problem with predicting the future is, the future has to exist somewhere in order to be seen by some of us. If it exists, how much free will do we have left?

You've hit exactly on why I don't LIKE the idea of seeing the future. The fact that I may have done so, doesn't please me at all.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2016 1:50:31 AM
Jo van, The question was not about predictions or clairvoyance. Nobody here is claiming to be psychic or clairvoyant.
The question was, Have you ever had a premonition? Simple!
I take it you have not.
Some people sure know how to take the fun out of things don't they.
 Jo van
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/5/2016 7:00:14 AM

Jo van,

Yee-es?

The question was not about predictions or clairvoyance. Nobody here is claiming to be psychic or clairvoyant.

Ah. I don't think you've been paying attention.
There' was Dee's charming story, about a little girl, who could "see" the future, and "knew" her mum was coming, almost 2 whole hours early.

And then the OP herself, first mentioned psychics and mediums, in Msg 26
And also mentioned someone "predicting" a "draw", and the odds against that, are a staggering 3:1

Well the game DID end in a draw!

See?
Then, there was your own "Portent of DOOM!!", the nasty butterfly, mentioned in Msg 38:

About two years ago I was sitting in my yard and a butterfly landed on me. My first thought was that someone I knew was going to die.One of my best friends died a week later of a heart attack.

I've been to 9 funerals, in as many years.
I've reached the age where my friends, from my younger days, are 'dropping like flies'.
Every time my friend, Kevin phones me, (which isn't all that often,) my first thought is always; "oh no, who is it this time?".
90% of the time, my fears are unfounded. But it's usually through him, that I get to hear such bad news.

Having the thought that; someone you know is going to die, isn't really a "premonition", it's just letting a latent 'reality', which you've probably already contemplated; whether that was consciously, or subconsciously, or in a dream, (which you haven't remembered, -the vast majority) become a conscious thought.

Our brains process possibilities, without us even asking it to.
It makes 'assumptions' and 'predictions', based on past experience.
It learns, and it also makes mistakes. (See: "The Darwin Awards")

Nobody here is claiming to be psychic or clairvoyant.

There have been several posts which talked about the transfer of "energy", or "information", between individuals.
Indeed, the OP herself, "opened" the discussion into other areas, by her introduction of a tale about "past-life-regression", (or was it "reincarnation"?) in the post which immediately preceded yours.

I note that you didn't remind her, that:

The question was, Have you ever had a premonition? Simple!

Some people sure know how to take the fun out of things don't they.

If you think that having "premonitions" is "fun", then, I think that you've seriously misunderstood the meaning of the word.
Here's what the OP said, way back in Msg 10:

A premonition is described as a strong feeling that something is going to happen and usually quite an unpleasant event.

If you post something, in a public forum, then it's up for discussion, and comments, and other opinions.
You're clearly a very superstitious person. That's fine, -it's your choice to believe whatever you like.
I don't share your "beliefs"..

Ridiculous claims, are, by their nature, open to ridicule.
I reserve the right to ridicule the ridiculous, wherever I see it.
To me, that's "fun".

You shouldn't take it "personally", I'm attacking the myth, not the person believing it.

myth
mɪθ/
noun
noun: myth; plural noun: myths
a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
"ancient Celtic myths"
synonyms: folk tale, story, folk story, legend, tale, fable, saga, allegory, parable, tradition, lore, folklore; More
technicalmythos, mythus
"ancient Greek myths"
a widely held but false belief or idea.

IMO., the world has far too many ridiculous "facts", which are actually myths, but which often seem to go unchallenged, even though there's not a shred of evidence to support them.

Particularly religious beliefs, which insist on "respect" for them, often under penalty of death.
(Religions are just more superstitions, IMO., which have become 'institutionalised'.)

People who have these beliefs often get angry, even if other people doubt them, for perfectly logical reasons.

Science has been seriously "testing", to see if there's any evidence of these sorts of things really happening, for decades.
If any scientist could "prove" any of these things really existed, they'd be guaranteed an immediate Nobel Prize, and would become as famous as Darwin, Einstein, or Newton.
So far: Nothing.
But they're still looking.

If they DO find something, I shall read it, with great excitement.
Until then, I remain sceptical.

In science, empirical evidence is required for a hypothesis to gain acceptance in the scientific community. Normally, this validation is achieved by the scientific method of forming a hypothesis, experimental design, peer review, adversarial review, reproduction of results, conference presentation, and journal publication. This requires rigorous communication of hypothesis (usually expressed in mathematics), experimental constraints and controls (expressed necessarily in terms of standard experimental apparatus), and a common understanding of measurement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_evidence

Science, IMO., is more wonderful and weird than than the myths are,
more fascinating than fiction, and more fun, than feeble fables.
But it's JMO
"Each to their own", as they say..

But thank you for your contribution anyway, it's duly noted.
 gtomustang
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/5/2016 7:16:33 AM
what's the name of the male poster here from NZ, always talking about psychics when he isn't complaining about his problems? I'm surprised he hasn't had a premonition about this thread and come in with his two cents. If anyone, it would be him.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/5/2016 7:18:15 AM
Jo Van.. don't fancy Religions much do you? Actually you raise them nearly every post you make. Must be idk, a religion for you :)
I have a premonition Jo's going to start citing Dawkins ( who said he is a “secular Christian” )
It's those school Christmas pageants. Once you've played Mary, or a lamb.
 Jo van
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/5/2016 7:33:09 AM
That "matrix" bloke, GTO.

Jo Van.. don't fancy Religions much do you? Actually you raise them nearly every post you make. Must be idk, a religion for you :)

Not really a 'religion', more like a medical condition.
-I'm just allergic to bullshit.
I bear it stoically though.

These myths have caused a lot of problems, I'm not the only one who has noticed that.
The other 'big one', for me, is "race". Don't even get me started.

I tried reading Dawkins, I really did. Got about 2/3 way through it, before I gave up.
He makes it all so complicated.

I was a shepherd.
 Tomfiend
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/5/2016 9:06:02 AM

These myths have caused a lot of problems, I'm not the only one who has noticed that.

The "myths" have had lots of cons and lots of pros. You tend to have a cookie cutter mentality about all of this.

Perhaps [organized] religion is ridiculous . . . but lots of people are believers without buying into any organized religious dogma.

And there is a reason for that . . .some might think it ridiculous to believe that the Universe spontaneously erupted (Hawkings notwithstanding in his Grand Design book) with all of the laws of physics down to a T, and the Stars and everything erupted because of those laws, and humankind just happened to erupt because simple bacteria . . . by Darwinian means . . . . evolved into human beings.....

and despite a huge universe and only a limited number of souls who have ever lived . . .here you are . . in the present . . . consciously telling the rest of us how ridiculous we are to believe what we may believe.

You see, the thing is, I am a believer in Science... not mysticism. There are plenty of scientific facts however that we do not know about, do not understand, do not recognize.

If we were all knowing, perhaps we would understand how the future, at the quantum level atleast, has an impact on the past.

Perhaps we would understand how reality is framed by observation and that observation alone has an affect on particles.

Perhaps we would understand how a quantum particle can be in two different places at the same time, or a cat might be alive or dead at the same time, depending on what we choose to observe.

Your reality is an infantile one. You can not see it, hear it, taste it, sense it . . . so it does not exist.

A God like entity does not exist because you have come concluded there is no evidence of a god-like entity.

A universe teeming with particles just happened spontaneously as did all of the possible multi-universes out there.

And pigs fly too.
 daynadaze
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2016 11:41:00 AM
I have a bridge for sale in my back yard, only $100, 000 for the entire bridge, but you have to move it yourself. No checks.

Why is it that believers like to bash the non-believers, but their feathers get all kinds of ruffled when the non-believers bash the believers?
 Tomfiend
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/5/2016 12:16:04 PM
^^^not sure if you are talking to me? You are very vague. Believers in what exactly . . . and who is bashing whom? Seems to me you are doing the bashing with offering some sort of bridge to sell. Me, I am only talking facts, which I perceive are totally over your head. Sorry science in general and the quantum world in particular is a very complicated subject for most people. 25% of the people in the US believes the Sun orbits the Earth, so I don't really hold your lack of knowledge against you.

edit.. your lack of knowledge got me thinking. If people in the US are tha uneducated, is it really surprising Trump was able to fool enough people to win the election?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/02/14/277058739/1-in-4-americans-think-the-sun-goes-around-the-earth-survey-says
 deetristate
Msg: 73
That.
Posted: 12/5/2016 2:07:21 PM
See, Blue miss, there are several posters(who are actually the same poster) who eventually make all threads about me.
I have asked them to stop because it's not fair to the other people posting.

We could have very intetesting, civil discussions, but, alas . . .

There is an interesting "unnerving premonitions" article on listverse for anyone interested.

Lighten up.

I accept with open arms Jovan and his religiophobia .
 Walts
Msg: 74
That.
Posted: 12/5/2016 2:18:12 PM

I accept with open arms Jovan

But still scared shiatless about those damn Muslims ehhhh Dee??????
 deetristate
Msg: 75
That.
Posted: 12/5/2016 2:38:40 PM
See?
They even make up stuff to make it about me.

LOL.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has anyone had a premonition?