Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can i get used to a heavy smoker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PennyAnte
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Can i get used to a heavy smoker? Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Tell her the truth and ask if she would try vaping. There is no odor with vaping. The cost is a bit more but no one can put a price tag on your lungs.
 ohenryx
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Can i get used to a heavy smoker?
Posted: 12/14/2016 8:43:28 AM

SS4544Spd
I'm a long time reformed smoker and I can attest that one's sense of smell for cigarette smell on other people/items increases dramatically after you quit. I can smell smoke from another car when the smoker blows the smoke out the window and s/he's in front of me. That just happened the other day. It happens.

I smoked for 25 years, quit in 1997. One of the hardest things I ever did. And yes, my sense of smell (which was dead for those 25 years) did come back with a vengeance.

As far as dating a smoker, well, I kinda had the same outlook as other bad habits...ie, heavy drinking, piercings/tattoos etc. etc. If she was hot, who cares.....but short term only. Actually, back when all I was looking for was a good time, I didn't mind smoking women at all as it seemed they had more...let's say....joie de vivre...after all cigs are a good accompaniment for coffee, alcohol, food and sex...all fun activities...and one begets the other :)

But for serious/LTR, no way.

Interesting viewpoint. Reminds me of the old proverb that crazy women are the most fun in bed.

The problem with what you’re saying is that serious, long term relationships evolve out of short term flings. At least for me it’s always worked that way. I set out to have a good time, and the next thing you know I’m married for 27 years.
 openrider
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2016 9:23:35 AM
bro you do have some problems deal with them before you date.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2016 10:00:02 AM

I happen to believe that saying if a person smokes he or she has emotional problems is a crock of sh1t. Emotional attachment...yes. addictive attachment...yes. Do I smoke because I am pibolar, depressed or any other emoitional problem?...no. I smoke because when I was 17 my friends did and I thought it was cool.

Like I said, it depends on how narrow your definition of 'emotional' is.

Addiction starts as an emotional response to a life event. In your case, a desperate attempt to fit in with your friends, and maybe the rest of society as it was. It's common, that one.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2016 12:34:36 PM
Tiger.
Agreed. I started smoking when my mother died. I was ten and was placed in the custody of an uncle who sexually abused me for 4 years.
When I stopped smoking I had horrible dreams, memories and emotional turmoil for months. The smoking cessation caused me to become extremely emotional and to relive some of the grief and trauma that I experienced when I started the addiction at such an early age and could not cope with my mother's death or the trauma of being molested almost daily for four years. I was very depressed and had severe anxiety not only from the withdrawal of this horrible drug nicotine but the recollections of the reasons I started smoking in the first place.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2016 10:08:35 AM
Hemingway wrote:

Hmm........ well if it does not bother you now as friends, what changes if you are in a relationship? A relationship is a friendship on fire.

Well, what I'm saying is the bad habits, i.e., smoking or heavy drinking, at least to me, acted as a flame retardant. There are plenty of things you can put up with on a short term basis that would be deal breakers for a LTR. Smoking is a good example. Maybe it's just me, though.
 sun___flower
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2016 10:17:49 AM

I started smoking when my mother died.

Penny, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you.
 Maleman999
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/16/2016 3:43:22 PM
"Can i get used to a heavy smoker? "

You might be able to coax the person to exercise more and eat more healthy, so that the person becomes a light smoker.
 platypus_man
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2016 3:22:49 PM
Best when smokers stick to other smokers, and non smokers go with other non smokers. The two don't mix well. I tried, I really tried, but the stench was simply too much to put up with. Apparently when you're a smoker, you don't notice the stench of smoke at all. I understand that. I've even tried to get cigarette smokers to understand, by smoking a really smelly cigar around them and asking how they would feel if I did that several times a day, unanymously every one said they wouldn't tolerate it. But when I tried to tell them that's how bad cigarette smoke smells to non smokers, every one of them dismissed my feelings, insisting that 'that's different'. So, good bye smokers.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can i get used to a heavy smoker?