Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 funchesf
Msg: 326
There's no such thing as an atheist.Page 14 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

Posted By: yule_liquor
You could NOT make this stuff up, no matter how hard anybody else tries.

right..your existences as a 3D hologram is stuff you just can't make up.....you had to get this stuff from someplace

actually I think you got it from Star Trek but let's try going down another road

since you have a belief in God could it be that your 3D hologram religious beliefs stem from your childhood belief in The Trinity?

3D for 3 Gods?

1+1+1=3 ... oops...er.. I meant 1+1+1=1 (Christian math)
 kidreason29
Msg: 327
There's no such thing as an atheist.
Posted: 1/23/2017 4:21:15 PM

1+1+1=3 ... oops...er.. I meant 1+1+1=1 (Christian math)

No, when you divide 1 by 3, you get 3 parts, but it is still one together.

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1
 wolfman4142
Msg: 328
Posted: 1/23/2017 5:46:32 PM

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1

Ok so you worship 3 different 1/3 gods got it. Makes sense now.lol
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 329
Posted: 1/23/2017 7:05:57 PM
@ wolf

possibility vs reality is your issue yule.

What reality are you talking about?
Is the realm we are in.... that isn't subject to the principle of falsifiability?

3d beings blah blah blah can be possible till the end of space and time but it doesn't matter if we haven't enough evidence to deem it worthy of belief.

You don't even have the means to dispel the (null) hypothesis of our own realm; and yet you are looking for 'evidence' derived from this same realm that there are other dimensions/beings outside our own. Do you realize how inane that is!

I'm kinda tired of having to repeat myself over and over to a bunch of obstinate closed minded militants.
Go back and read my posts 66, 292, and 300...that is, if you are in any way able to understand WTF I'm getting at

If you are a christian or choose one religion due to it being possibly true based on no evidence then you have no limit to what possibility you give weight to.

What I've said is not predicated by me having chosen anyone religion in particular.
Its obvious that you haven't grasped a Fkn thing I've been saying!
I just can't dumb it down anymore for you guys than I already have.
I'd use Pictographs and Rebus if I could but this system doesn't allow for it!
 kidreason29
Msg: 330
Posted: 1/23/2017 7:17:09 PM

Religion is the intersection of ideology and mysticism.

The mysticism of people like Yule, Kidreason and the OP is relatively benign in isolation, although at a societal level it can lead to 'post-truth' and other potentially dangerous emergent phenomena.

there was religion before language, at its bare it is just thought, a pattern of behavior, a hobby, routine, etc. and is considered to be important. Therefore everyone has a religion
 kidreason29
Msg: 331
Posted: 1/23/2017 7:32:52 PM

Ok so you worship 3 different 1/3 gods got it. Makes sense now.lol

another attempt to extrapolate more meaning from a sentence from potentially infinitely many meanings. Language isn't strict in its meanings or definitions if we could enforce only one meaning from a lexical formation of x words we could dampen the confusion of formations of meaning with its many interpretations problem. Or we could just all agree this word means this and create another for the other meanings which we refer to the same word with
 wolfman4142
Msg: 332
Posted: 1/23/2017 7:54:32 PM

What reality are you talking about?
Is the realm we are in.... that isn't subject to the principle of falsifiability?

Sye Ten Bruggencate's Presuppositional Defense of the Faith, really? yule it really is sad here bud.

You don't even have the means to dispel the (null) hypothesis of our own realm; and yet you are looking for 'evidence' derived from this same realm that there are other dimensions/beings outside our own. Do you realize how inane that is!

I'm kinda tired of having to repeat myself over and over to a bunch of obstinate closed minded militants.
Go back and read my posts 66, 292, and 300...that is, if you are in any way able to understand WTF I'm getting at

I got it just fine. I find it interesting that it is something that could exist but find it pointless to bring it up as it can't be proven and no one really even knows what it is or if it is. So what's the point of bringing up an alternate reality that may not exist? We can hypothesis all day long.
You aren't the first one to come up with this stuff it's been talked about for many many years. So?

What I've said is not predicated by me having chosen anyone religion in particular.
Its obvious that you haven't grasped a Fkn thing I've been saying!
I just can't dumb it down anymore for you guys than I already have.
I'd use Pictographs and Rebus if I could but this system doesn't allow for it!

I think everyone understands as well as anyone can. No one cares and we are waiting patiently for your point.
 wolfman4142
Msg: 333
Posted: 1/23/2017 8:01:44 PM

another attempt to extrapolate more meaning from a sentence from potentially infinitely many meanings. Language isn't strict in its meanings or definitions if we could enforce only one meaning from a lexical formation of x words we could dampen the confusion of formations of meaning with its many interpretations problem. Or we could just all agree this word means this and create another for the other meanings which we refer to the same word with

Well either it's 3 gods or 3 1/3rd gods make up your mind I'm good either way. I'm fluid with it however it can't be 3 and 1 at the same time. This is just a sad attempt to make your holy book make sense when it clearly doesn't. It was written by bronze age screw heads that didn't know what stars and planets are. They thought spit could cure and sea monsters were real and the earth was flat. We can discuss definitions and have them meet your requirements and I can show you the stupidity with those same definitions you choose.
 kidreason29
Msg: 334
Posted: 1/23/2017 9:27:52 PM

This is just a sad attempt to make your holy book make sense when it clearly doesn't

I defend nor criticize any religion, I only point out the inherited features to being a human, which requires one to have, 1.) exhibit consciousness 2.) passion 3.) habit and automations in patterns of behavior from a subconscious belief system that cannot be penetrated through conscious thought/language 4.) without a difference there could be no identity

a passionless human does not inherit the quality of spirit, it is not a living human but a dead human, whether physically alive or not
 kidreason29
Msg: 335
Posted: 1/23/2017 9:33:16 PM

this is just a sad attempt to make your holy book make sense when it clearly doesn't. It was written by bronze age screw heads that didn't know what stars and planets are

god does and does not exist at the same time,

now explain atheism and theism
 wolfman4142
Msg: 336
Posted: 1/23/2017 10:14:39 PM

I defend nor criticize any religion, I only point out the inherited features to being a human, which requires one to have, 1.) exhibit consciousness 2.) passion 3.) habit and automations in patterns of behavior from a subconscious belief system that cannot be penetrated through conscious thought/language 4.) without a difference there could be no identity

a passionless human does not inherit the quality of spirit, it is not a living human but a dead human, whether physically alive or not

Great so then by your standards of being human abortion is ok to do at anytime.

Right, so if he doesn't exist why worry about it? Far as atheism it means I do not subscribe to any god or gods and theism you subscribe to at least one god. What is there to explain? Is there no god that you doubt exists? Well the god you doubt is how I feel about any and all gods.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 337
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2017 1:31:26 AM

there was religion before language [....] and is considered to be important. Therefore everyone has a religion

I don't see how your 2nd sentence arrives at that conclusion. Just because religion arrived before language (like, beyond basic animal language) -- doesn't mean everyone has a religion. I don't see how the two concepts are connected like that.

Exist and doesn't exist as True in the minds of different people? Sure. Is that what you mean when you follow it up with ....

...? Just checking.

However one defines 'theism' -- atheism's easy. It's = non-theism. That's all that means with the 'a' in front (like 'abacterial'; whatever bacterial means, abacterial = merely non-bacterial). So what's theism? It's the belief in the existence of a god or gods.

This thread was spawned by some dude who thinks that Everyone Truly believes in the existence of god(s), and that someone non-theistic cannot exist.
 funchesf
Msg: 338
Posted: 1/24/2017 7:15:32 AM

Posted by: kidreason29

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1

that equation would suggest that God was either incomplete or a schizophrenic, also you didn't inject the rules of Trinity math

The first rule of Trinity Math is that the term "God" does not refer to only "One Omnipotent Entity" but a "Title" held by three separate individuals hence the equation 1+1+1=1

why would they try to pull this scam..oops..er..I meant why would they make the term God a Title instead of one individual?

1.since the teachings of a man or Jesus is consider a Philosophy and the Commandments from a Supernatural Entity such as The Lord Almighty is consider a religion they had to find a way to make Jesus a God which in turn would make Christianity a Religion

2.by tricking...oops ..er..I meant by claiming that The Father The Son and The Holy Spirit all fall under the Title of one God that way they could delude...oops..er..I meant that way the believers wouldn't be accuse of worshiping three Gods which in reality they are...oops..er..I meant it's a test of their Faith that they are not worshiping 3 Gods which will get them tossed into The lake of Fire ..oops..er..I meant God is a Jealous God...oops..er..I meant God would be very disappointed if his followers worshiped other Gods other than himself or before himself

THE QUESTION
if The Trinity is true ....then where in the Genesis is Jesus?

or a fan of "The Walking Dead" perhaps?

so does and doesn't an delusion

that can be explained under one self explanatory question

THE QUESTION
which came first ...atheism or theism and why?

that question will first cause one to ponder then begin to understand why atheism is part of "The God Delusion"
 kidreason29
Msg: 339
Posted: 1/24/2017 12:08:38 PM
god does not exist because god exist,

Which one do I mean?:

1.) gods continuous existence is not dependent upon itself, can spontaneously arise without self cause
2.) god does not require existence or does and does not exist

which came first ...atheism or theism and why?

they both simultaneously arise at the same time, they cancel each other out in an equation
 funchesf
Msg: 340
Posted: 1/24/2017 2:59:19 PM

Posted By: kidreason29
god does not exist because god exist

God does exist in religious scripture but no "rational" proof of existence beyond that

they both simultaneously arise at the same time, they cancel each other out in an equation

an Equation?.....cool ....lets make the letter A=Atheism and the Letter B=Theism

now write out the equation and the "first letter representative" you choose is what came first

then explain "rationally" why it came first

you like Brain teasers ..there's one for you ..
 kidreason29
Msg: 341
Posted: 1/24/2017 4:57:57 PM
k,

(A-B)=0

there is no first, both simultaneously arise at the same time
 wolfman4142
Msg: 342
Posted: 1/24/2017 6:29:14 PM
how about it's almost as if god doesn't exist because he doesn't.
 funchesf
Msg: 343
Posted: 1/25/2017 8:35:36 AM

there is no first, both simultaneously arise at the same time

are you suggesting that the first human baby popped out of the womb with two heads one horned and the other haloed?

according to The Bible and religious text Adam was borne a creature with two heads called The Androgyny in which God later separated and called Adam and Eve ..but either way wouldn't both Adam and Eve most likely been theists

so can you give an example in "rational reality" or explain "rationally" how Atheism and Theism could have both occurred simultaneously

"rational" in this case would infer "without the inclusion of Faith"
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 344
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2017 10:27:52 AM
Well, according to my definition of religion, which not everybody agrees with, religion may have come first...because it is certain traits of not being rational or not trying to be rational. Or objective.

But if we're talking about theism, that's more specifically a belief in god. And who knows, maybe there was a span of time during which there wasn't some kind of idea in cavemen's heads of a larger more powerful entity. And that would be atheism.
 kidreason29
Msg: 345
Posted: 1/25/2017 11:18:07 AM

so can you give an example in "rational reality" or explain "rationally" how Atheism and Theism could have both occurred simultaneously

Do you have a belief in a God? And that is how they simultaneously arise, they arise from the question of their being a god. Without the question of god there is no atheism or theism.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 346
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2017 4:05:15 PM
A better way to phrase the question that's asked: Which came first into existence -- a human who had a conscious belief that god(s) in fact existed [theistic], or a human who didn't hold a conscious belief that god(s) existed [non-theistic]?

You'd need a belief based on faith that the first human had a built-in conscious belief that god(s) existed, starting at the 1st second of their existence. The common-sense conclusion is that the first human was a baby, and a conscious belief that god(s) in fact existed -- along with the mental capacity to know what a god or a sport or many other things actually are -- hasn't come to be yet.

Hence, non-theism among a living human existed before theism (the belief that there's god(s) that do in fact exist).

If one has a faith-based belief that a God made the first human or humans Instantly with a "bibbity boppity boo" -- as full adults with language construct, beliefs & understanding about various things -- then yeah, I can see how the first human in that fairy tale could certainly be a theist (among other things).
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 347
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2017 4:19:16 PM
Oh, I dunno. Don't think that babies count. They simply have a lack of knowledge in general, so to speak. No, they don't have a belief in god (as far as we know), but their lack of belief isn't the same precisely because they're babies and just don't have anything yet anyway. It's a different kind of "lacking".

But then, who knows, maybe a lot of babies have a kind of instinctive esoteric feeling of some higher other. We wouldn't know for sure. I think that there's supposed to be something different going on anyway in the mind of a human before their brain begins to structure it's thoughts according to linguistics, so we might not be able to know.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 348
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2017 5:56:34 PM

Oh, I dunno. Don't think that babies count. They simply have a lack of knowledge in general, so to speak. No, they don't have a belief in god (as far as we know), but their lack of belief isn't the same precisely because they're babies and just don't have anything yet anyway. It's a different kind of "lacking".

First, if you're talking about a Specific Kind of non-theist -- and babies don't count -- when would they? At the point where it's brain is Capable of having a belief in a God? So for 1 second it doesn't, then it is? :)

Second, that's all non-theism means. Lacking -- not in any specific way. Like a spider is a non-theist. An embryo is non-theistic. A 6 month old is non-theistic.

If someone said "Name ONE abacterial surface," and I said "The surface of the moon," one couldn't say "Oh, that's different though. Abacterial doesn't refer to where bacteria can't really exist." Uhhh, where did you get that idea? Abacterial/non-bacterial does not imply a reference to something where bacteria can readily exist. ALL it means is non-bacterial.

Atheist/non-theist does not imply a Rejection. The most that could be implied is in reference to a human. All it means is one who isn't theist.
 funchesf
Msg: 349
Posted: 1/26/2017 9:43:10 AM

Posted By: drinkthesunwithmyface
religion may have come first...because it is certain traits of not being rational or not trying to be rational. Or objective.

so are you saying that irrationality is religion or that religion is a means to temper or identify irrationality?

Posted By: drinkthesunwithmyface
And who knows, maybe there was a span of time during which there wasn't some kind of idea in cavemen's heads of a larger more powerful entity. And that would be atheism.

Atheism would be a rejection of a God belief, there is no evidence even from the drawings on cave walls that Cavemen had a concept of God being anything beyond that which would eat them ...

Do you have a belief in a God? And that is how they simultaneously arise, they arise from the question of their being a god. Without the question of god there is no atheism or theism.

either way wouldn't that mean that Theism came before Atheism?

Posted By: norwegianguy456
A better way to phrase the question that's asked: Which came first into existence -- a human who had a conscious belief that god(s) in fact existed [theistic], or a human who didn't hold a conscious belief that god(s) existed [non-theistic]?

if a human didn't hold a conscious belief in the existence of God ...then why would they refer to their self as an Atheist or non-believer .....wouldn't a theist have to give them the title of Atheist or be the direct cause for the need for such a title?

that is what I meant by Atheism being part of the God Delusion ...that a person with an irrational belief or delusion will try to pull others into their delusion and that is what happens when someone refer to themselves as an Atheist ...they in turn have made themselves part of that delusion

THE GOD DELUSION
are you a theist?
no
are you an atheist?
no
are you agnostic?
no
then what are you?
I'm your psychiatrist
why would I need one
because you're delusional

THE QUESTION
if you're not delusional ...then describe God without sounding delusional
 kidreason29
Msg: 350
Posted: 1/27/2017 12:56:17 PM
without the question, there is no atheism/theism,
and the question requires a rational conscious mind to comprehend,
without that they are neither a theist/atheist/agnostic

Otherwise we are talking about religion before language, and god before language, which is possible.

THE QUESTION
if you're not delusional ...then describe God without sounding delusional

Question: how does the inner dialogue in a deaf person sound?

before I can answer your question, please define delusional.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."