Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."      Home login  
 AUTHOR
There's no such thing as an atheist.Page 2 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Thank you Igor, Now that's a Red Herring Logical Fallacy!

Thank you for helping everybody understand Logical Fallacies: I couldn't've done it without you.

Now if you can address the topic, that'd be nice.
 funchesf
Msg: 27
There's no such thing as an atheist.
Posted: 12/17/2016 10:41:59 AM

No Funcesf, I clearly said, I've met people who CLAIMED to be "atheists."

that's how you knew they were atheists
Posted: 12/17/2016 10:48:55 AM
Do you believe that claiming to be something, makes it true?
 funchesf
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/17/2016 11:00:39 AM

Do you believe that claiming to be something, makes it true?

are you referring to you claiming of being someone that never met an Atheist? ...
Posted: 12/17/2016 11:06:55 AM

I'm referring to anybody claiming to be anything.
 funchesf
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/17/2016 11:22:45 AM

Posted By: ihopethisforkingnameworks
I'm referring to anybody claiming to be anything.

so wouldn't that include your claims?
Posted: 12/17/2016 11:29:46 AM
That includes anybody claiming to be anything.
Me too.
 funchesf
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/17/2016 11:43:16 AM

Me too.

(MSG 3) already proved that your claims aren't True
Posted: 12/17/2016 11:46:29 AM
How's that Funchesf?
Please quote MSG 3, and break it down; and to stay on topic, please explain how this proves the existence of "atheists."
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2016 12:11:39 PM

Yes, God would have to exist if I was an atheist or there would be nobody to not believe in.

I dunno if this is a tongue-in-cheek statement, but obviously it's an untrue one. Something doesn't exist in reality for someone to not believe in it. I don't believe in the Supreme Spaghetti Monster who rules the Andromeda galaxy -- that doesn't mean there is a supreme spaghetti monster, nor one ruling the Andromeda galaxy.

I don't believe there is a devil. Does that mean the devil doesn't exists? He exists in the fact that I don't believe he exists.

One's belief in something or heeding on taking in a belief in something doesn't affect it's existence in reality. In one's personal imagination-land, sure. I had sex with 1,000 super models. Such acts existed -- in my dreams. ;) But no, it doesn't mean it at all happened, of course.

I've even met people who claimed to be "atheists."
I still don't have enough faith to believe "atheists" exist.

An atheist is someone who isn't a theist. That's all the definition means by language (non-theist). You don't believe non-theists exist. You believe that everyone is a theist. So even a newborn baby is a theist, despite their brain far from fully developed. You believe that everyone who refrains from forming a belief that supreme being(s) exist as rulers of the universe, actually Do believe that supreme being(s) exist as rulers of the universe. The burden of proof or evidence is on you to believe something outlandish like that, not the other way around.

It's the same as saying "I don't believe anyone exists who doesn't believe that the Russians were involved in affecting the election." Whether or not that happened, or arguments to what extent if it did happen -- there are in fact people who don't believe the Russians did anything to affect the election. If I were to make that statement, the burden of evidence would be on me for such an outlandish claim. I would have the burden to show it was Impossible not to believe the Russians played any role in the 2016 US election.

Same could be said if I made the ridiculous claim that nobody actually is a theist (it's impossible for a person to even merely believe in the existence of supreme being(s)).
Posted: 12/17/2016 12:25:54 PM
Hey Norway, please copy and paste the things you claim I believe, from what I actually said; because you've put a whole bunch of words in my mouth, and those are what you're arguing against.
Posted: 12/17/2016 12:35:41 PM
Norweigenguy: If I was trying to prove the existence of God, the burden of proof would be on me.
It appears that you're the one trying to prove that "atheists" exist.
The burden of proof is on you.
 funchesf
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/17/2016 12:42:44 PM

How's that Funchesf?
Please quote MSG 3, and break it down.

what's to breakdown ...in MSG 3 it was you yourself that "claimed" to have met Atheists ..

that's why I asked if you were hallucinating......you should have said yes

you disproved your own thread

as "Shakespeare" would say .."hoist by your own petard"
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2016 12:51:44 PM

Hey Norway, please copy and paste the things you claim I believe, from what I actually said

Sure. And I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth by using explanation or analogies to what it means. But here's what you said:

There's no such thing as an "atheist."

Believing there's no such thing as a person who does not hold the belief that there is in fact a supreme being(s) that rule the universe [=atheist], means that it's impossible for a person not to believe that there is in fact a supreme being(s) that rule the universe. Not putting words in your mouth, I'm using your bold claim and explaining what that means.

If I was trying to prove the existence of God, the burden of proof would be on me.

True. If you had the position that no football fans exist, the burden of proof rests on you, too. And if you had the position that no theists or non-theists exist the burden of proof would be on you as well. As it does here.

It appears that you're the one trying to prove that "atheists" exist.

It's already been proven that theists and non-theists exist. The burden of proof is on you to say that non-theists don't exist, and that it's impossible for a human being Not to hold the belief that supreme being(s) rule the universe.
Posted: 12/17/2016 12:54:27 PM
Funchesf, you're deliberately not quoting the post you're questioning; because it doesn't match what you accuse me of saying in it.

And you're accusing me of saying things that I never said, to keep us from noticing that you're not even trying to prove the existence of "atheists; because, you can't do it.
Aloha
Posted: 12/17/2016 12:59:38 PM
Norweigenguy, I missed the place where you supposedly proved that "atheists" exist in all of the extraneous information you posted around it.

Will you please just post the proof.
 funchesf
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/17/2016 1:20:28 PM

Funchesf, you're deliberately not quoting the post you're questioning; because it doesn't match what you accuse me of saying in it.

because I would have to quote all your posts to me

first you stated that you met people that claimed to be Atheist ....

so I pointed out your mistake that you indeed met Atheists

then you claimed there is a difference claiming to be an atheist than a atheist

you "Failed" to explain the difference because there is none

you fell into your own trap and actually prove Atheists exist
Posted: 12/17/2016 1:44:28 PM
Funchesf, I asked you a yes or no question on what you thought about "anybody claiming to be anything," so that we could discuss the difference between claiming to be an "atheist" and being an "atheist."
You "failed" to answer the questionYou "failed" to prove "atheists" exist; and you failed to trap me into proving it too.
You "failed" to give me an opportunity to address the difference before you began with the "pretard" insulting.
I hope you can learn not to come that fast when you're with a woman.
 funchesf
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/17/2016 2:43:54 PM

I hope you can learn not to come that fast when you're with a woman.

wow ...insults....now that was fast, I figure at least 3 pages before you hurled any ...the cries of the wounded ....temper temper

so that we could discuss the difference between claiming to be an "atheist" and being an "atheist."

it doesn't require a discussion ...it requires only that you to give a "rational" explanation as to the difference

so can you?
Posted: 12/17/2016 4:24:02 PM
ihopethisforkingnameworks, do you exist?
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2016 5:29:36 PM
There is no such things as Elves, just ask someone from Iceland. I think you are splitting hairs. Just because the concept of a god exists, doesn't mean I have to believe god is reality until scientific evidence is provided. Theists' often get wrapped up in some reward in an after life that clouds their view of reality.
Posted: 12/17/2016 8:26:19 PM
Ok, I'll ask the question again Funchesf.

Do you believe anybody claiming to be anything makes it true?
Posted: 12/17/2016 8:30:28 PM
Hi Happy, don't get wrapped up in what theists believe.
Try to stay on the topic.
Can you prove that "atheists" exist?
Posted: 12/17/2016 8:32:18 PM
Areyoutalkingtoyourself?
 ApriLikesrosasblancas
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/17/2016 9:38:28 PM

In my opinion, it is impossible to believe a REAL atheist exists!
It is very hard for us believers to accept that there are people who go through life with an empty spirit, no hope, no one to ask for REAL spiritual guidance when they are in deep turmoil, but I guess they are serious about not believing in God and are content living life that way.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."