Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."      Home login  
 AUTHOR
There's no such thing as an atheist.Page 4 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
The unbelievers in the Bible are people who believe in God; but deny God wrote the Bible.
 funchesf
Msg: 77
There's no such thing as an atheist.
Posted: 12/20/2016 11:31:18 AM

Posted By: ihopethisforkingnameworks
The unbelievers in the Bible are people who believe in God; but deny God wrote the Bible.

I wasn't referring to the unbelievers./agnostics .... but to those that "according to the bible" say with their heart there is no God
 Coma_White
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2016 11:50:05 AM

I don't believe "atheists" even exist.

You're comparing apples to oranges; and I can't taste, touch, see, or smell your oranges.

It doesn't matter what you believe, what matters is what's true. Some people believe in mythological beings like gods and some don't. Some people play golf and some don't. You can't call atheism a belief the same way you can't call not playing golf a sport. What I said does not qualify as an "apples to oranges" comparison. I used an analogy to illustrate the fuzzy logic you used in calling atheism a "belief" when it is not a belief.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2016 3:59:03 PM

You can't call atheism a belief the same way you can't call not playing golf a sport.

You're right. An easier way to phrase it is using the synonym "non-theism". Non-theism is a lack of a belief like not playing golf is the lack of playing a sport. "a" = "non" = "without". Certain folks via cultural conditioning will think that = "anti", but it doesn't. An anti-theist is one who not just lacks a belief, but has a belief that no gods in fact exist. A conceptual difference.

One may make the argument that someone who's not a theist has to have formed a belief About the validity of the concept, when exposed to the concept of the subject -- which close to everyone in most the world does, at least by a certain age. So having a belief that there's not enough to go on to actually Believe that any god(s) do in fact exist -- is there for a Vast majority of non-theists who are beyond early childhood. So for most -- yes, there is a belief... in reference to another.

And there is a conceptual difference, that should not be mixed up, between believing that theists or non-theists exist or not *VS* the belief that god(s) exist or not.
Posted: 12/20/2016 4:08:07 PM
Nonsense, I say. This is all nonsense.
 ApriLikesrosasblancas
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/20/2016 4:19:36 PM

sorry my little lost lamb but you're being lead astray

Okay funchesf enlighten me please
Atheist do Exist, they do not believe in God...But, Do atheist believe in satan?

And..."french" fries?. Do they believe in "French" fries?..:)
Posted: 12/20/2016 5:52:17 PM
The Bible calls the people who...

"Say in their heart, there is no God."

"Fools."

Not unbelievers.
Posted: 12/20/2016 5:58:10 PM
Coma,

Do you think what you says proves "atheists" exist? and if so, how?
 Coma_White
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2016 7:42:37 PM

Do you think what you says proves "atheists" exist? and if so, how?

I'm not sure what you mean. They're people. They exist in the same reality that we do. People that don't play golf also exist.
Posted: 12/20/2016 8:44:37 PM
I've never played a game of golf- and, I can't prove I exist in a physical body...

I don't get your point.
 funchesf
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/21/2016 7:56:18 AM

Posted By: ApriLikesrosasblancas
Okay funchesf enlighten me please

my pleasure

Atheist do Exist, they do not believe in God...But, Do atheist believe in satan?

God and Satan are like Batman and Robin ...without a belief in Batman there is no Robin

And..."french" fries?. Do they believe in "French" fries?..:)

oddly the fries are never from France or speak French ..."to believe is to doubt' ... funches 3:16

The Bible calls the people who...

"Say in their heart, there is no God."

"Fools."

Not unbelievers.

in (Msg 76) you clearly state that unbelievers are "those that believe in God"

in (Msg 77) my aim was to get you to post "Psalm 14:1" and you walked right into it

in (Msg 83) you posted Psalm 14:1 which acknowledge those that say in their Heart "there is no God" aka Atheists

since you "claimed" that Atheists didn't exist I thought it would be ironic if you were the one to prove their existence (Mission Accomplished)
Posted: 12/21/2016 11:45:43 AM
Blah, blah, blah...

You clearly failed to post the messages you're taking issue with, AGAIN.

YOU'RE STILL HIDING BEHIND COPY AND PASTE, by failing to post the MSG you're questioning, on purpose.

And Psalm 14 clearly calls anybody who claims to be an "atheist," a fool.

That's just one more reason why you can't prove "atheists" exist.

And to be perfectly honest... I didn't quote Isaiah 14.

I didn't know where to find the verse you quoted.

I didn't know you were quoting Psalm 14, until you just admitted it.

I knew you were trying to bait me into copy and pasting it; so I didn't bother looking it up.

I quoted you hiding behind Psalm 14, and I baited you into finding it for me.
 Coma_White
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2016 11:53:58 AM

I've never played a game of golf- and, I can't prove I exist in a physical body...

I don't get your point.

What?
 Coma_White
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2016 11:55:05 AM

I don't get your point.

That doesn't make sense. That's just as stupid as saying we can't prove that seagulls exist. Well, we can see them, hear them, touch them, eat them, study them, weigh them, measure them, etc. You can't do those things if they don't exist.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:16:55 PM

That doesn't make sense. That's just as stupid as saying we can't prove that seagulls exist. Well, we can see them, hear them, touch them, eat them, study them, weigh them, measure them, etc. You can't do those things if they don't exist.

Yep, that's proof. It's proof that it exists within whatever "existence" you're proving it in by doing all of that. Some people think you can't prove X exists, because -- what if you're in this super-lucid dream? Well, if you can do all that in said amazingly coherent & structured reality -- then it's real in that reality. If This reality is all just a super-lucid dream -- then yeah, the sea gull Truly Does Exist. In this reality.

Whether this reality is actually a sub-reality to a greater reality is irrelevant to the question of "Does this X thing exist?" By implication, that question means whatever reality you're in.
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:18:41 PM
That's just as stupid as claiming you can prove "atheists" exist.
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:29:08 PM
You can touch, taste, smell, hear, and see everything that defines a seagull, as a seagull.

You can put everything that defines a seagull in a vessel: you can weigh it, cook it, and eat it.

How much of a gallon does a pound of "atheism" fill?
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:38:12 PM
In MSG 87 I accidently mixed up Psalm 14 with Isaiah 14.

I can't see a whole sentence while I'm typing on my phone.

I only meant to mention Isaiah 14.
 kidreason29
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:48:56 PM
Guys, let the kid take care of this, its my specialty. P.S: you should of called for me.

If Atheist don't exist, then by implication neither do theist. Otherwise you are saying that everyone is an Theist.

If everyone is a Theist, then no one is a Theist, because without a non-theist there would be no differentiation between theist and non-theist. We wouldn't know what a theist is without an atheist, and vice versa. See my "Laws of Everything And Nothing", they are universally true.

I'm sure if we were to plot on an axis of one corner theist to the other atheist, no one would fall completely under one, but will oscillate between both of them throughout the day. Therefore no absolute atheist or theist exist. Everyone is by default an Agnostic, whether they believe or not.

Beliefs are subconscious perceptions of ideas/concepts/things, that cannot be pulled up to be examined by the conscious mind through the use of language. Just because you say, or write "I believe X", doesn't mean that you actually do.

Only at one particular moment in time, can one be absolutely atheist/theist, because minds oscillate between values without being held constant.

If one were to actually be atheist/theist, all the time, absolutely, they wouldn't know it so, because they were never able to differentiate between their own mind between its opposite.

In other words, one had to be an atheist to be a theist, and vice versa, otherwise they wouldn't be aware of their own belief.

Again, by default, all humans have a belief, whether they believe it or not.

As for the guy above, it seems to me to be someone who is agitated by the thought that people believe themselves to be atheist, when it isn't completely possible, but neither are theist.

So your welcome, because you are all clueless agnostics with beliefs.
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:59:45 PM
I try not to criticize other people's hobbies. And if you want to post stuff here, you have every right.

But you're all trying to use logic on someone who clearly is immune to it. Look at the title of this thread. You know that saying about never getting in the mud with a pig? You both get dirty but the pig likes it.

The OP actually thinks he's scoring points. That in and of itself should tell you his mind isn't all there.
Posted: 12/21/2016 1:04:06 PM
Stop at the first sentence Kid.

You're assuming facts not had in evidence; and using an Either or fallacy to do it.

I can't prove I have a physical body.

I can't prove theists exist.

If you want to prove the existence of "atheists" by comparing them to theists... first you have to prove that theists exist.

If you want to debate the existence of theists...

Please start your own thread.
 kidreason29
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/21/2016 1:04:12 PM

I used an analogy to illustrate the fuzzy logic you used in calling atheism a "belief" when it is not a belief.

Just a heads up, fuzzy logic, is actually a real thing, it doesn't crumple to contradiction like popular belief dictates it to.

Atheism, can be a belief, just as much as theism. I could believe "there is no god". A belief. Atheist are believers too.

Heres the meltdown:

To say "I believe not X" or "I believe no X" or "I have no belief of X" are all the same thing.
Posted: 12/21/2016 1:17:13 PM
Halfnot, A personal attack that doesn't attempt to deal with the topic, posted here, by a man advising others not to post here... is logical?
 funchesf
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/21/2016 1:25:30 PM

And Psalm 14 clearly calls anybody who claims to be an "atheist," a fool.

sorry but the word "claims" isn't in that passage which is why you can't hide behind it ...

Psalms 14 tells of David getting mad calling people "fools' because they said in their Heart "There is no God'

either way Psalms 14 the passage "you posted" is you providing the proof that Atheists exist ...

now all you can do is "act like an Atheist" and argue against what is clearly written in the bible ...Pure Karma
Posted: 12/21/2016 1:28:46 PM
Aloha nui loa Kidreason.

People who claim to be "atheists," are believers.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."