Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 funchesf
Msg: 101
There's no such thing as an atheist.Page 5 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

Posted By: halforhalfnot
But you're all trying to use logic on someone who clearly is immune to it. Look at the title of this thread. You know that saying about never getting in the mud with a pig? You both get dirty but the pig likes it.

but something might be wrong with the pig

pigs ...oops ..er.. I meant people posts all type of nutty stuff in this forum ...perhaps they're delusional or being deceptive or just mad at the world

MAD AT THE WORLD
it's best they blow off steam here instead of abusing a love one or grabbing an AK47 and shoot innocent citizens

DELUSIONAL
hopefully someone they know is monitoring their computer activities and get them help

DECEPTIVE
using logic is one way the forum can get a sense of the "person of interest" integrity or the lack of it

The OP actually thinks he's scoring points.

that would fit under Delusional
There's no such thing as an atheist.
Posted: 12/21/2016 3:11:42 PM
Oooh a gang of people with ad hominem attacks... that do nothing to prove "atheists" exist.

I'm shocked!
 kidreason29
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/21/2016 3:14:32 PM
I always found the atheists who thought about god more than the theist to be the funniest of them all. Just as there are the theist who think about the atheists about how they convinced their conscious minds they don't believe.

Really there isn't as much as distinction as you are led to believe, they are really the same thing.

Because God does and does not exist at the same time. Both just choose the opposite side inciting games to be played as "Black and White".

Both are believers. Both are really the same thing.

Here, let me study the bible as an atheist, to prove that God doesn't exist. No different than a religious man. Religion is the best thing to happen to an atheist.
Posted: 12/21/2016 3:20:59 PM
Cool Kidreason,

You touched on some of the reasons I have for not believing "atheists" exist.
 funchesf
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/21/2016 5:34:39 PM

Posted By: kidreason29
Because God does and does not exist at the same time.

oh no not your "Noism Theory" again ...remember when you posted that Omni-Beings was only hypothetical and didn't exist

so...er...isn't it time to admit to yourself that you're Agnostic

THE ABOVE TRANSLATED TO THE NOISM LINGO
meditate to cleanse your thoughts of the abstract and embrace your Agnosticism

Posted By: kidreason29
Both are believers. Both are really the same thing.

Agnosticism
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2016 7:04:39 PM

Atheism, can be a belief, just as much as theism. I could believe "there is no god". A belief. Atheist are believers too.

An non-theist (atheist) can hold a belief -- but because a particular person does -- does not mean it means Atheism itself is a belief. THEIR particular brand of it (strong atheism, in your example) is a belief. But non-theism, in and of itself, is just the lack of a belief... it doesn't require holding a belief against the belief it lacks. A non-theist doesn't necessarily hold a belief about it (they just lack a belief that there is a god(s)).

Theism IS a belief. A non-theist CAN have a belief. It doesn't mean non-theism IS a belief. As a side note, your last sentence and your first sentence seem to conflict with 'can' vs 'are' (in bold). I have to ask... which one is your belief -- can or are? ;)

Point being -- just because someone of a set can be a believer in something related to the set, it does not mean the set itself is a belief. Cats are non-theistic but have no belief about the subject (as with 1 year olds), even though they do have basic beliefs about many other things.

But to be fair, with almost all non-theists once past the childhood age, it's safe to assume they'll at least have a passive belief *ABOUT* the actual existence of god(s). After all, it's hard to come by at least forming a belief About the subject to some extent as you age thru civilization, right? But of course that doesn't at all imply that it's a Pro-active belief that "there is no god". Most non-theists I would say don't have that belief (even though many of those who don't, don't like being called 'atheist'). Most have a passive, many just in passing, belief that it's not something they accept as In Fact true (which would be required; not that it's a fact, but a Belief that it's in fact true).

So I will say that a large majority of non-theists once immersed into the world (=those who don't hold the belief that there are in fact god(s)) -- do hold a belief about the concept... to some degree. One thing can be said about it, though: Some of their beliefs never really hold, and only do lightly in passing. They don't think about it or talk about it... it comes to them but not enough to generate a belief for or against or in-between. So it'd be sort of a stretch to say that everyone holds a belief position worth any weight.

And of course, some inarguably don't at all -- babies. :)
Posted: 12/21/2016 7:55:24 PM
"Does not mean "atheisim" itself is a belief?"

How is "atheisim" not a belief?
 Coma_White
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2016 10:21:17 PM

I can't prove I have a physical body.

I can't prove theists exist.

These are just bogus claims. Where is the evidence that you can't prove you have a physical body? Why does your body displace water if you go into a bathtub? Why does your physical body register the same weight on every accurate scale? Do you have any evidence for your claim or are you doing the usual "make up crap as I go along" thing most do on message boards?

We've been over that already. You don't call not playing golf a sport.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2016 12:51:20 AM

We've been over that already. You don't call not playing golf a sport.

Yeah, the kid doesn't get it. But his uncle's picture by the river's cool, though.

These are just bogus claims. Where is the evidence that you can't prove you have a physical body?

Exactly. These people haven't even taken a Philosophy 101 class - lol. It's what we all question as kids -- or even as older teens, sure -- but the concept is not "shot down", but explained. It's a bubble burst to some when they're met with childhood-level Nixing on their "original" idea.

It's not to nix the concept of original ideas -- that should be promoted Definitely... but it's those who think they have the Big One, but it was shot down a Long Long time ago.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2016 4:38:59 AM
ihopethisforkingnameworks:

That's just as stupid as claiming you can prove "atheists" exist.

I don't believe this claim. Prove it.
 funchesf
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/22/2016 7:14:07 AM

Posted By: ihopethisforkingnameworks

so you acknowledge that Atheism is a belief ...a belief of those that say in their Heart there is no God ..

you once again proved that Atheists exist
 ApriLikesrosasblancas
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/22/2016 7:17:46 AM

.perhaps they're delusional or being deceptive or just mad at the world

Hmmmmm.......Not nice, but will ask anyway.......In a nice way..:=)

To which of those "flocks" do you belong, my handsome lost sheep?
Posted: 12/22/2016 9:39:33 AM
The fact that 1/2 the people posting on this page don't agree on a definition of "atheism," makes it hard to prove "atheism" exists.

Nobody proved the existence of "atheists."

After reading this page...

You guys have convinced me to declare, I no longer believe in "atheism" either!

I never considered the possibility that nobody can prove "atheism" exists too.

Thank you all for your contributions to my education.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2016 10:50:58 AM

The fact that 1/2 the people posting on this page don't agree on a definition of "atheism," makes it hard to prove "atheism" exists.

Nobody proved the existence of "atheists."

After reading this page...

You guys have convinced me to declare, I no longer believe in "atheism" either!

I never considered the possibility that nobody can prove "atheism" exists too.

Thank you all for your contributions to my education.

I don't believe these claims that you're making. Prove them.
Posted: 12/22/2016 10:59:36 AM
Maybe I'll start a thread on "atheisim."

In the mean time...

How does your last post prove the existence of "atheists."

Because... I don't see it.
 funchesf
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/22/2016 1:38:01 PM

Posted By: ApriLikesrosasblancas
To which of those "flocks" do you belong, my handsome lost sheep?

I will allow you to make that decision my little lost Sunshine

1. in Msg 50 after being lead astray you committed blaspheme when you suggested that real atheists didn't exist

2. In Msg 75 I preached the gospel in which The Lord Almighty acknowledge the existence of Atheists

3. In Msg 77 I set the bait to get ihopethisforkingnameworks to post psalm 14 which is the bible acknowledging Atheists

4. in Msg 81 you finally agreed that Atheists do exist thereby redeeming your soul

5. In Msg 82 ihopethisforkingnameworks posted psalm 14 unbeknownst acknowledging the existence of Atheists

all I've done was do the Lord's work and place two lost souls on the path to true righteousness .... funches 3:16

therefore I will allow you to choose WTF? ...oops ..er..I meant to choose which Flock I belong to my little lost Dove

you're welcome to call me "The Shepard"
Posted: 12/22/2016 1:47:08 PM
Blah, blah, blah.

You're good at twisting words, and taking things out of context.

Psalm 14 doesn't prove "atheists" exist; and you know it!

...or you'd post the whole thing to prove you're right.

And you'd've show April the same respect, by posting all those messages you just took the time to look up.
Posted: 12/22/2016 2:06:10 PM
I really like the first sentence April wrote in this thread, so much, I'll quote her...

"In my opinion, it is impossible to believe a REAL atheist exists!"
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2016 3:58:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL1Xt3T9ZnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzh4avgiwWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ErmoiE-BB0
 funchesf
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/22/2016 4:02:12 PM

Blah, blah, blah.

wow...that describes your posts perfectly ..can I get a Witness?

You're good at twisting words, and taking things out of context.

or perhaps you might be slightly Dyslexic ?

Psalm 14 doesn't prove "atheists" exist; and you know it!

sorry but it clearly prove Atheism ...can you prove otherwise?

or you'd post the whole thing to prove you're right.

why?...when I've already tricked you into posting the exact content from Psalms 14 to prove Atheists exist
Posted: 12/22/2016 5:12:52 PM
All we've proved, is that you're not an "atheist."

And nobody can prove "atheism" exists either.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2016 10:00:33 PM

All we've proved, is that you're not an "atheist."

And nobody can prove "atheism" exists either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pFs5PmIsLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYzkswVf4C8

Sock puppet fake profile action...some weird kind of conversational masturbation.
 knowledgeNIgnorance
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2016 1:50:21 AM

Using the same burden of proof that some people require to prove the existence of God, nobody can prove that the mythical "atheist" exists.

It's really funny how often people who claim to be "atheists" try to use words like faith and belief to prove "atheists" exist.

Would you care to define what an atheist is?
and
Then illustrate your thinking that makes you think they don't exist?
Posted: 12/23/2016 5:29:48 AM
Cool, a wise man who asks good questions.

Using the same burden of proof "atheists" require to prove the existence of God, prove the existence of "atheists."

For example, if you don't accept the Bible as being proof that God exists...

Don't expect me to accept the Bible as proof that "atheists" exist.

My thinking is... some people have set such a high standard of proof, to prove the existence of God: that you can't use it to prove "atheists" exist either.

And, that's why I don't believe "atheists" exist.
Posted: 12/23/2016 7:09:03 AM

Oh yeah, my definition of an "atheist."

My Dad claimed to be an "atheist" for 34 years of my life.

He taught philosophy at USC; and he taught everybody "there is no God."

( - IF "ATHEISTS" EXISTED... THEY'D BE PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD. - )

My Dad confessed to being a liar on his death bed.

On his death bed, my Dad admitted he always believed in God.

On his death bed, my Dad said, "I just want to be a good Christian."

On his death bed, my Dad asked me, if God would heal him.

I said, probably not; because you'd deny him again, and sell books on how "you healed yourself."

On his death bed, my Dad said, "You're probably right."

Beside his death bed, my Dad kept a large print King James Bible, and one for his pocket.

And, NOBODY CAN EVER CONVINCE ME THAT "ATHEISTS" EXIST!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > There's no such thing as an "atheist."