Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > How can you tell a catfish?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 23
How can you tell a catfish?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Today, you can't even guarantee that the gender of the individual you are seeing on the screen is even what they claim it to be. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being transgender... but unless someone says up front "Yeah, I was a man, but now I'm a woman", they could be using that Skype session with you to practice their new identity... to see if you even pick up on who they are over who they were.

Or... there could be no transgender issues at all... and you could be Skyping with someone who likes to play dress up.

Correct, what better way for a person to play a game--just make up a persona & go online...
 NewYorker58
Msg: 24
view profile
History
How can you tell a catfish?
Posted: 6/23/2017 8:16:53 PM
When the person says I'll give you my e-mail addy, because I'm not staying on this site due to scammers, that's a scammer, LOL. If they give you an out of state number, they're a scammer. It will probably be a VOIP for that number. When a person lives outside your state, most times, that's a scammer. When they say they are in the service, most times they are a scammer. If they refer to you as "my dear" or "my love", they're a scammer. If they say they need to go abroad to collect a inheritance, that's a scammer. If you stick w/the scammer, they'll say more things to scam you, but why go that far?
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/27/2017 6:31:09 AM

When the person says I'll give you my e-mail addy, because I'm not staying on this site due to scammers, that's a scammer, LOL.

Not necessarily- they may be leaving this site because they are not thrilled w/ it but wish to stay in touch.

If they give you an out of state number, they're a scammer.

Not all the time. I have 2 phone #'s- my Google Voice # is a NY exchange & my cell # is a Tennessee area code. These days people travel, move & commute. They may have had one plan prior to moving & just kept their # bec. it is easier

When a person lives outside your state, most times, that's a scammer.

When I lived in Upstate NY, I was 1 hour away from: PA, NJ + CT- In the past I had met/dated men from those states- I was not scamming.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2017 1:19:15 PM
100% of the time, people who say they want to take the convo off of POF have been scammers. The other things are red flags.

I look at the whole picture, because some do have google voice and VOIP. If they're doing that, I would need an extra level of security to know more about them, but the out-of-state numbers so far have been from scammers, maybe from Nigeria or wherever.

A POF guy from my state who was an out-of-state person killed a young woman with 3 young girls last year. He chopped her up, threw her body parts all around WA. I ask men why they moved here, because it's not that they're all killers, lol. There are a lot of military bases here and many do relocate or stay here after serving here. Another aspect for me, I'm not looking for a transient type that may not be able to hold a job or is running from a situation he created where he lives. If they're leaving their underage children behind, that does not look good to me.
 spot4username
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2017 3:36:21 PM
Scammers are usually easy to spot.
When I was a mod on *that ok site that will get censored* we would see loads of flagged messages.
Scammer Grammar always gives them away.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/27/2017 4:08:13 PM
A "well written" (at least relatively) mistake free, interesting profile + 8 at least "decent" captioned and DATED PICTURES = NOT a catfish.

The next easiest way? Push as few buttons as possible. Ideally just enough to exchange phone #s or arrange a meet.

It's really not that complicated.
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/23/2018 5:11:44 PM
What I've found to be accurate about those that I've seen catfishing on the site is the following:

1. They delete their pics not long after corresponding with you. Most times they will try to get another method of communication going with you; then they'll delete their pics and even delete their profile.

2. If they only have what look to be print quality images (those you'd see posted by companies).

3. Some blatantly use others photos. I've seen someone using Tupac's pics, Deon Sanders, Michael Jackson. And, I mean more than one photo with none of themselves.

4. Now the thing that I notice many are doing is they'll contact you and not long after they'll delete the pics they had up and put up a vague group photo. Catfish.

I don't get the purpose of catfishing either, but I think some have the intent like you mentioned to try to set some people us. I've seen too many instances of guys getting set up by alleged women on pof only to be robbed and killed.

The one thing that I can advise is if you're unsure and there's mutual interest, don't waste a lot of time chatting online forever. You can snapchat, it's not for kids. Kids just misused the app to sext, but that's not it's purpose. You can call and video cam through the app, if you get sketchy vibes that someone is not legit. And it alleviates you from having to give out your number or personal information.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2018 5:47:47 PM

A "well written" (at least relatively) mistake free, interesting profile

I see one of those every time I click on the "My Profile" tab.

It's really not that complicated.

But the majority of people will find a way to make it complicated.
 sweetkygirl331
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2018 7:44:11 AM
Im horrified sitting here reading these. I've just met one on here, and it pisses me off! I get ALOT on FB, but for some reason never thought about here! "DaddyBruce08" is what he was using. Now he's using" jeffplyler", but the odd thing is, he never asked for money or anything. But he went right into the "baby" mode, and " I love you so much" BS! I sent "Jeff" a couple of messages telling him what I think of him, but he's denying any knowledge etc.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2018 10:09:23 AM
SweetKy, why would you correspond with him, he doesn't live in your state? Just by responding, he thinks he's got a live one. On top of it, the guy is ignorant, spelling grace "grase". He looks like he just got out of prison.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/24/2018 2:59:38 PM

Im horrified sitting here reading these. I've just met one on here, and it pisses me off! I get ALOT on FB, but for some reason never thought about here! "DaddyBruce08" is what he was using. Now he's using" jeffplyler", but the odd thing is, he never asked for money or anything. But he went right into the "baby" mode, and " I love you so much" BS! I sent "Jeff" a couple of messages telling him what I think of him, but he's denying any knowledge etc.

This man doesn't sound like a catfish to me--he has a normal profile. It sounds to me like the two of you just weren't a match, and you're being vindictive. You violated his privacy by exposing his username in the forums. Frankly, I feel bad for the guy.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2018 3:57:56 PM

"DaddyBruce08" is what he was using. Now he's using" jeffplyler", but the odd thing is, he never asked for money or anything. But he went right into the "baby" mode, and " I love you so much" BS! I sent "Jeff" a couple of messages telling him what I think of him, but he's denying any knowledge etc.

If he never asked for money -- so what was he asking for? Attention? On a dating site?! No way! ;)

So he's "Jeff Player" -- so he's not exactly hiding anything. It doesn't mean he's a catfish at all. He's a guy using baby-talk to try and coo a gal. What -- because he didn't chase you IRL, that makes him a catfish? No. Because he seems like he is a (self-admitted) player, that makes him a catfish? No, not that either.

A catfish is someone who is not At All the person they claim to be (asking for $ or not). Like a guy with pics of a cute guy who is not at all him. Until it's that -- he's not a catfish. A guy acting like he likes to wine, dine, and romance a gal, but really at the end of the day he just likes to talk the talk -- that's frustrating, but no, that's not a catfish.

A catfish would be JeffBruce or whomever that guy is -- and posting up a pic of someone else, pretending to be someone who he isn't, to get gals to talk to him for online pen-paling or to get something else out of the deal without meeting (like asking for $).
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2018 4:20:19 PM

You violated his privacy by exposing his username in the forums.

Are you really that fucked in the head. If he was worried about his privacy he wouldn't be on the internet and since it's a name change the only way to recognise him as the same person would be because of his pictures. Yep that's real privacy
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2018 6:06:00 PM

Are you really that ****ed in the head. If he was worried about his privacy he wouldn't be on the internet

It's a POF rule by itself -- not to point to user names calling them out for violations, in the forums. Fair or not, that's the rulez she was referring to. One not supposed to say:

"Barbie696969 went out on a date with me and she was horrible! Nobody go out on a date with her! Get rid of her!"

Not that it has any "pull" nowadays since soo very few use the forums (unlike yesteryear) -- it's a violation of the "rules" to do so.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/25/2018 8:06:55 AM

Are you really that ****ed in the head. If he was worried about his privacy he wouldn't be on the internet.

Having a profile on the internet for dating purposes only, and posting about someone else's profile in a public forum for the purpose of libeling them are two entirely different things---and it's against the posting rules:

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts141520.aspx

See 11 & 12
 cooldog65
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2018 8:29:16 AM

It has whiskers and it tastes great fried...
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/25/2018 1:56:19 PM
^^^^ There's a restaurant here in Las Vegas called The Hush Puppy. They have the best fried catfish I've ever tasted. It's even better than the fried catfish I had when I lived in Atlanta, Georgia.
 DrMcoyDirtyDic
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/9/2018 11:21:37 AM
Why do people put fake post?
 lulz567
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2018 5:28:36 PM
It could be organ harvesting. If you are not looking for a one night stand ,then why you wishing to see if she is fake or not eh?. You go to next profile.
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/21/2018 6:38:51 AM
Guys look for 5 o clock shadow & evidence of photoshop on the pix--viewing a teeny tiny thumbnail on an i-phone makes it easy for a he to appear as a she---find an old fashioned computer (at the library) & view the pic full sized
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > How can you tell a catfish?