Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Increasing your chances to date someone with high education level      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Increasing your chances to date someone with high education levelPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I have my masters degree. The big hurdles are:

- people being intimidated because you are more accomplished than them.

LOL. Many professions don't need it at all. You seem quite all about yourself -- yet, on your profile as someone else pointed out, you have High School as your highest level. No, people aren't intimidated by one who has a Masters. Teachers in many states are forced to take classes to get it (and paid for) -- it's not some "big accomplishment", as it by itself by no means makes someone intellectual.

- you will find yourself being turned off by many people.

I think you're being kind of arrogant. :)

There are many conpiracy nuts out here who sell themselves as "intellectual".

Are you sure you're not crossing that line?
 hemingway234
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Increasing your chances to date someone with high education level
Posted: 1/13/2017 8:17:38 AM
I think there are other sites, such as Match, which are a little better. That said, there are plenty of educated women here.... doctors, lawyers, and rocket scientists (really).
 MadameBoisseau
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/13/2017 1:13:35 PM

Are you not proud of your academic accomplishments? Your profile lists your education as high school. More accomplished is a relative term. I not sure someone attending an additional couple of years of college makes them more accomplished.

I never bothered to fill out my profile, I only filled in what was mandatory and even then: I selected for the most part whatever was readily available.
 MadameBoisseau
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/13/2017 1:32:04 PM

I think you're being kind of arrogant. :)

I am in biomedical engineering - I have been on dates with a few people who have ranted that evolution is a ploy of the Illuminati to keep us from incarnating to higher levels so the reptilians can reeve our souls, they go on about how the earth is flat, how science is conspiring to rob America with carbon taxes based on the lie of climate change, etc. If you still contend that I'm "arrogant" for dismissing these people as "conspiracy nuts" - then I suggest you go log into the David Icke channel and socialize with your peers. :)
 ndm147
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/13/2017 5:25:41 PM
My late husband was a dentist. I was attracted to him because he was smart, kind, and had a great sense of humor. We did not start out together because we had $$ signs thinking about getting rich. I do think many women are attracted to men who spend more time in university/ residencies because it is a shared lifestyle at that point.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2017 5:59:38 PM
Wow....for a site that's generally liberal, there's a lot of bashing of academia here.

I have a Masters, and I worked d*mn hard for it. And I'm pretty d*mn proud of it.....And it's helped me in the "real world."

To say that "Anyone can obtain a Master's," is....just poppycock. It takes a lot of time, discipline, and dedication. And it wasn't "easy." VH....C'mon...usually your posts are more enlightened.

There is a difference between mail-order, online, or for-profit U. granted Masters of Crapola, vs. a VALID Masters from a traditional, accredited U. Not everyone with a Masters went to Trump University or similar profit-driven toilet paper mill.

Now as far as education level vs. dating...or relative attractiveness in the dating scene..I agree with most of this.
Posted: 1/13/2017 8:25:28 PM
It should make it easier.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2017 2:40:19 PM
You choose Phd, yet you say you're in NY to finish it. So are you working on it now or what?
You choose not ambitious, yet you have, or are working on a Phd.
You say dentist surgeon, i thought it was dental surgeon. Even if English is not your first language, I'd think you would get that right.

Your profile raises questions and is not attractive at all.

"Dentist surgeon , recently moved to NY to finish my post doc program"
 MadameBoisseau
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/17/2017 2:54:07 PM
As an immigrant I personally murder the english language often, including terms prominent in my field. This is especially true with writing, because syntax and punctuation is very different.

When you are in medicine you have your degree but then also need to do clinicals after graduation which is field experience so you can become an official practioner. So it makes perfect sense that he could be post doc and working on clinicals.

I find the coments displayed on this thread serves to underscore my initial claim: people can get defensive when the topic of academic accomplishment comes up.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/17/2017 3:08:55 PM

I have been on dates with a few people who have ranted that evolution is a ploy of the Illuminati to keep us from incarnating to higher levels so the reptilians can reeve our souls, they go on about how the earth is flat, how science is conspiring to rob America with carbon taxes based on the lie of climate change, etc.

How is it that you end up on dates with so many likeminded people ?

Coincidence ?

Maybe you should move to a part of the country where nuts aren't as plentiful ?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2017 3:55:23 PM

I never bothered to fill out my profile, I only filled in what was mandatory and even then: I selected for the most part whatever was readily available.

Not a smart move when going to be on forums boasting (with a seemingly virtual 'hair flip') about educational qualifications making you superior. Especially, due to pride you not updating it, after it's come to your attention.

I am in biomedical engineering - I have been on dates with a few people who have ranted that evolution is a ploy of the Illuminati

That has nothing to do with having a masters degree of any kind at all. Getting a masters degree of [Insert Any Random Subject Here] does not make one Above said weird creature you run into on the dating field who has views like that. That example serves no explanation on the subject. If you've gone out on a Few dates with guys who think evolution is a ploy, that there exists a reptilian race going after our souls, And that the earth is flat -- then you're not exactly making a great case for yourself as being smarter than everyone by running into that so much. :)

If you still contend that I'm "arrogant" for dismissing these people as "conspiracy nuts"

If you were truly as smart as you claim (with hair flip) -- you'd realize I never even remotely implied that you're arrogant for dismissing said people. Never did, whatsoever. At all. I'm not going to assume you're inherently an unintelligent person or anything, but the pride & persona that you convey seems to restrict you from maximizing your intellectual potential... which you seem to cherish so deeply and put on a pedestal above others so swiftly.
 ebolakitty
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/17/2017 5:19:39 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think that there is anyone out there for you. There is a severe shortage of professional men with advanced educations. Still, you will never get past the fact that English is a foreign language to you. There is a myth that sophisticated women are attracted to foreign men but it is only a myth. A suave Italian might have a chance at FWB but a hardscrabble Uzbek? Not so much.

Women with advanced degrees don't usually make very good partners anyway. Women with a year or two of junior college are a better bet. But again, you have to be a native English speaker.

You don't tell us where you come from. Wherever it is, you should consider a girl from your own country. They may not be any better than Americans but you will at least have a common culture and language.
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/17/2017 5:57:41 PM
I have dated nothing but men with doctorates; however they were culled from social encounters that did not originate via the internet.

Pursue women through social contacts and activities such as working out at the gym or volunteering at a fundraiser for what ever political party you are affiliated with.

Join one of the many marches packed with women on the 21 st.
 Chromis1
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2017 6:49:01 PM

I heard that its difficult for people with doctorate degree to find a girl friend here on POF.

It is not.

It is, however, difficult for people with atrocious profiles to find a girl friend here on POF. Do you understand what I'm saying?
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/17/2017 7:08:12 PM
"Women with advanced degrees don't usually make very good partners anyway"

well now what an interesting statement
good luck in your therapy goals for 2017

oh and OP
list your degree
if someone is intimidated by it? so be it
that is their issues and not yours
you earned it
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/17/2017 10:27:23 PM
In seeking someone who's highly educated, make sure the person at least knows the difference between "your" and "you're".

Having a good education is not about what a person was taught---it's about what a person has actually learned.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2017 7:16:26 AM
Never really had a girlfriend without a college degree, most with masters, except when I was in high school. Then, I went out with a girl who had not even graduated from high school. Worked out fine for me.

Got nothing against people who are not "highly educated". Just never met any to date for some reason. Social circle, I presume.

Never found educated women to be anything but interesting.
 gtomustang
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/18/2017 7:29:18 AM
"there's a lot of bashing of academia here. "

>>>yeah, haters gonna hate :)

we all have sacred cows, some just have an entire herd of them. It typically boils down to sense of identity. Everyone wants on a dating site, to think they're a catch. Still, are there people who are very knowledgable, but lacking common sense? Full of creative thought, but unable to keep track of their bank balance? Quick to tell everyone where they went to school, fearing its not obvious they went to school? Why, yes.

I have Popular Mechanics magazines from the 1950's and further back, advertising for mail-order tech schools and colleges that were just diploma mills. So long as there is ego, there is a demand to look like a prize. The more one is educated in spotting BS, the smarter one is, and there's no school for that but the School of Hard Knocks.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/18/2017 8:18:51 AM

How is it that you end up on dates with so many likeminded people ?

I know right ?
It's one thing to have a date suddenly start talking about conspiracy theories but if it happened a 2nd time I'd be questioning my screeing process - BIG TIME !

If it happened a THIRD time, I'd be questioning where I lived and wonder what was in the water !

Hence, maybe you should move away from whackjob central ?

Ya think ?
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/18/2017 10:05:02 AM
^^^^ There's nothing in the water---however, the water always seeks its own level.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/18/2017 10:41:22 AM
Whenever I read OT's like this...I always assume it's sort of an advertisement...

I'm not sure people look for education when looking for someone...unless
of course it's a total lack of education.

I just put high school on my profile because who cares?
Do 30, 40, 50 year olds (etc) really sit around discussing their various degrees?

I don't even think my education has ever come up.
People thus far have formed their opinions of me without knowing what my
education is...and that seems to be enough.

Although, if that stops working, maybe I can post a billboard advertisement as well.
 Walts
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/18/2017 11:59:06 AM

Do 30, 40, 50 year olds (etc) really sit around discussing their various degrees?

For those that have them, some will and some won't.

It's the same with the ones that "don't have them".

In the real world, I've been asked what university I went to and what degrees I have, yet, no matter how hard I search, I haven't found any yet. It seems to be quite important for hiring practises for people to have some form of degree but, in quite a few cases it's just an "easy" way for HR to eliminate people out of the equation. Education was never suppose to be about a job but, it seems to be nowadays.

It's the same with dating. Some find it very important to be matched up with someone with the same type of education. I've heard they believe it's about having the same interests, intellect, ease of conversations, etc. I honestly don't believe that to be true but, I have met more than my share of people from all walks of life, with varying degrees of education. I liked some. Didn't like others. Had nothing to do with their education level.
 ebolakitty
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/18/2017 2:15:49 PM
Education level... what a thing to compare in this world! Education was meant to provide younger sons of noblemen with the ability to think and enough broad knowledge to aid rulers in administering their domains or in the governing the church. An education isn't supposed to be a means for garbage people to get a job. The last man to have a true education was Thorstein Veblen who died in the late 1920's. No woman has ever had one yet.

In the modern world, what passes for the educated breaks down into trained seals and propaganda lemmings.

Common Sense = lazy and stupid.
School of Life or Hardknocks = bigoted, lazy and stupid.

The most that a person can claim in the 21st century is the ability to think creatively within a limited domain. I can see why a well trained seal would not want to associate with a complete ignoramus. Still, if someone says that they are educated then they are a liar.
 MadameBoisseau
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/19/2017 7:02:22 AM
25% of the adult population has a mental illness. Only 10% have advanced education. Nearly 40% does not understand evolution, half think climate change is a hoax. The UN regularly discusses how Americans are science illiterate and assemble PR teams so we dont drown the world in all our denial. Americans would have an easier time picking kim kardashians butt out of a line up, than label the periodic table - but saying these things apparently makes one a jerk....
 MadameBoisseau
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/19/2017 7:12:24 AM
[Quote] last man to have a true education was Thorstein Veblen who died in the late 1920's. No woman has ever had one yet.

Hypatia
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Increasing your chances to date someone with high education level