Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Scammers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cooldog65
Msg: 26
view profile
History
ScammersPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
So...we have threads on scammers and spammers in this section.
 sun___flower
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 1/29/2017 11:08:37 PM
I've noticed that. Next up: Slammers.
Scammers
Posted: 2/1/2017 1:18:16 AM
I'm string along one scammer/scammer team right now ... I'm not going to give them anything useful - or material - but I do plan on wasting as much of THEIR time as I can.

Here's the last reply from them - soooo scripted:

Hi Mike after living in Manhattan off & on for most of my life I fully understand about loving to hangout in Manhattan, after all it's Manhattan lol!!! My favorite places are in Manhattan like McSorley's, BareBurger, Le Poison Rouge. Give me a place with good food, drinks, music, a nice person to share it with ( super big plus) & I'm a happy camper. So what about yourself Mike?
 Cdan1957
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 2/1/2017 6:39:51 AM
^^^^ This one is a little more specific than the ones I have messed with...you sure its a scam?
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 30
Scammers
Posted: 2/1/2017 3:23:21 PM
I have to agree with Cdan, ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
The Manhatten comments seem a whole lot more legit than any scammer, would throw out there.
Scammers are vague, with loads of flattery and don't forget "God" will be in there somewhere.

Ahhhem.....Did I hear someone mention slammers?
 PlutoLover68
Msg: 31
Scammers
Posted: 2/1/2017 3:43:13 PM
I agree, those are very specific places. Most scammers that I've come across don't know that Idaho is 6 hours from Seattle, that Virginia is NO where near WA state, much less the name of a local restaurant.
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 2/4/2017 8:21:17 AM
I had a message yesterday that I believe was a new type of a scamming tactic.

Saw a message from a "woman" and I looked at her profile thinking maybe a fellow forumite. I noticed she was interested in dating men and lives about 1,000 miles from me.

So I responded and asked why she was messaging me and she responded that she was moving to my state and was looking for friends. I didn't really believe her and asked how she found my profile. She claimed it was from doing an advanced search (yeh, right). I asked her what town she was moving to and she told me the name of a fictitious town. Her very next response was to ask me if I was on Faceboook. Of course I said that I do not accept "friend" requests from people I do not know.... and then "she" vanished.

Ah, the silly little scammers are trying new tactics to lure us in.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 33
Scammers
Posted: 2/4/2017 11:38:08 AM

....ask me if I was on Faceboook.

I have 20 "friends" (more like relatives ) on Facebook. I openly admit I am, by no means an expert at Facebook, Sooooo just curious. For anyone who knows more than I do, why ask to move to Facebook? Not just in this case as ireallyshouldn't has mentioned, but in general. What is advantageous to connecting on Facebook? IF I don't interact already in some form or another with someone, they will not be my "friend". And yet other people do this?
 IReallyShouldnt
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 2/4/2017 11:46:33 AM

What is advantageous to connecting on Facebook

Maybe she wanted to steal all my men friends on Facebook? HAHA.

I have around 40 FB friends and they are close friends and family. I pretty much use it to see the goings on and pictures of these folks.

There are scammers on FB also (duh... smart of me to point that out). Maybe that was her motive? One of my very close friends on FB has been hacked multiple times in the last few months.
Scammers
Posted: 2/10/2017 5:18:30 AM

This one is a little more specific than the ones I have messed with...you sure its a scam?

Nope, its a scammer - just one with a better grasp of the language and a little savvier, but it has all the tell-tails signs:
1) "Word salad": lots of words, but says little
2) Lack of contractions: the whole profile is filled with 'I am'. 'am I', etc, but no "I'm"
3) Infrequent communication: "she'll" go days without contacting me and offer no explanation

Also, I live in NYC, so its easy getting specifics ... here are a few other things "she" said:

Hello Mike how are you doing? I attend school in Manhattan, live in Queens what about yourself? BTW you've got a very nice smile........ (flattery noted)

Well Mike I'd like for you to tell me all about yourself in person too! Your right we should meet.... 8~) .......... (I keep insisting we meet and of course, she noting how much she want to hear me talk about - me. So the flattery is more subtle)

So right now I mentioned a specific bar - I'll let you guys know the excuse I'll hear on why she can't make it. This scammer just smoother, that's all.
 Walts
Msg: 36
Scammers
Posted: 2/10/2017 5:40:37 AM

For anyone who knows more than I do, why ask to move to Facebook?

Some of them are aiming for your contact list, complete with email addys. Don't ask me how they hack into your list, I just know that's it be done before on a couple of friend's accounts.
 five-marie
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 2/10/2017 6:00:12 AM
A co worker of mine, pretty, 30's, lot's of attention in here fell for one of these scams. She actually went all the way to Western Union to mail money to this oil sheik who was temporarily unable to access his millions. I could not believe in this day and age and someone so young could fall for this. (She never did mail the money.)
They must be making money if they continue to do this.
 Seki1949
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 2/10/2017 11:13:00 AM

She actually went all the way to Western Union to mail money to this oil sheik who was temporarily unable to access his millions. I could not believe in this day and age and someone so young could fall for this.

Speechless! How foolish can people be? I understand isolated elderly, but not young people.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 2/10/2017 5:21:54 PM
I know a guy who has over 900 Facebook friends. every contact he ever made he automatically registers there I guess.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 2/10/2017 5:22:47 PM
scammers I find are usually poor spellers and that is always a red flag for me. .
 hemingway234
Msg: 41
Scammers
Posted: 2/11/2017 6:24:31 AM
The reason he asked about Spacebook was so the scammer could contact you off this site in case his account got nuked for being a scammer.
 Maleman999
Msg: 42
Scammers
Posted: 2/11/2017 9:59:43 AM
If I was contacted by a spammer, I would be tempted to say "Let's meet up in person at a local coffee shop and talk about it. I'm turned off by cyber communicating". The first clue is when they don't give you their exact location.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 43
Scammers
Posted: 2/11/2017 10:04:40 AM

How foolish can people be?

Any book, article, or class on human history can answer that question very easily.
 Alla_123
Msg: 44
Scammers
Posted: 2/12/2017 9:34:33 AM
OK, I am leaning slowly to identify "red flags".
I guess, first one when they want your personal email.
Second, if they are born abroad and travel abroad a lot.
Third, if they write you a very beautiful super long message explaining their life story.
Am I correct or those are not real signs yet. Can it be an ordinary person?
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 45
Scammers
Posted: 2/12/2017 4:46:58 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ Pretty much! All red flag indicators as well as the bad grammar, flattery, and last but not least, to mention, God.

Oh and thanks to those who gave Facebook info. I did not know!
 sun___flower
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Scammers
Posted: 2/12/2017 5:10:06 PM
Alla_123
Second, if they are born abroad

Where were you born? I actually get a scammer vibe from you. ;-)
Scammers
Posted: 2/15/2017 5:32:49 AM
My scammer sent me this - 4 days after the last PM:

"would you like to exchange emails or numbers as to communicate with each other better?"

No way am I going to have this jerk-off pester me, so I sent this back:

"I prefer jerking around with scammers using PM"

Oh, well, no more wasting this toad's time.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 49
Scammers
Posted: 2/15/2017 11:06:36 AM

Second, if they are born abroad and travel abroad a lot.

Can it be an ordinary person?

No, it might be Henry Kissinger.

first one when they want your personal email.

Can it be an ordinary person?

No, it might be me.
An Extraordinary person.

I need an email to send my photos to.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 50
Scammers
Posted: 2/15/2017 11:51:50 AM
I've had 3 women send me a message hoping I'll "pardon the intrusion"
and then give me a story about their brother/father/boss who saw my
profile and thought I was very interesting so they were contacting me
on his behalf.

I don't really get what the scam is...but I thought it was weird.
Especially because my profile isn't interesting at all.

Two of the women have since disappeared.
All three messages had pretty much the same content.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Scammers