Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating in your 50's and 60's.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purplerider1200
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Dating in your 50's and 60's. Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I have said enough but a google search of "bitter about dating" should bring his profile up first.

I'd say so. I've always been out of step with the people my age. Getting drunk all weekend was not my passion. I hated waking up with a hangover, so I didn't do it. Doing drugs was not my idea of "Expanding my mind" Rock concerts were expensive, and bull$hit. Why did I want to drive to Tim-buck-too, to pay for and listen to a band that I could hear on a radio, for free? I knew Nascar long before anyone discovered it. I was deep into motorcycling long before it became a fad. I was thirty years behind the bars, when that was discovered. Why go to a gym? I wasn't out of shape. I didn't need to lose weight. I didn't panic over not being married at 25. Doing my own thing? What was so new about that?

I don't look at the world as me being out of line with them. The world discovers what I already know. Your grand revelations are old news to me.
 gtomustang
Msg: 52
its the bitter ail
Posted: 2/19/2017 5:22:41 AM
I will agree, marching to a different drummer, does not a dating life make. Had I been a drinker, I might have gotten laid more, beer goggles are worn by both genders. But a woman not in control didn't seem to be a legally good idea to me. Ducking potential drama also doesn't help the dating life :) Didn't do bikes until I got a pair of old Hondas for free, just another expense while living on my own and the car shows I went to, I saw the bikers with one leg. Didn't do the gym fad, I was already walking 4 miles to college to save money. Girls in college would wonder why I didn't just ask Daddy to pay my bills. But getting bitter about it all, is just a self-made prophesy. If you don't like people and what they do, they will treat you the same way. Everyone wants to believe what they are doing is right. Oh well, the beautiful people got the dates, I got retired at age 43, we all got our last laugh.

hopefully we all can look at something we've achieved, with pride. If not....well, that too might be a reason we aren't attracting people. If we don't like what we offer, should they? at age 18, we might be forgiven our lack of lifetime achievements, and there were other things a partner might be looking for. But as an older potential partner, our achievements may also be something on their checklist.
 AmI4U2017
Msg: 53
Dating in your 50's and 60's.
Posted: 2/19/2017 12:24:11 PM
My experiences with men from 50-56, is that all they are looking for is sex. I'm discouraged, why can't they be honest and list on their profiles they are not looking for anything serious. For crying out loud, we're not teenagers with raging hormones!!
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/19/2017 12:45:56 PM
^^^^It's been my experience that's men of ALL ages. Most of them know that if they just laid it all out on the table...most women wouldn't respond to their messages. Especially the older ones. They have tweny-something year old MILF and cougar hunters to compete with.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2017 7:29:46 PM
you are right, men know that if they say "nothing serious" on their profiles, it cuts down their options considerably.
So they pretend they are looking for relationships and then the penny drops if they ever get to meet, about their real intentions.
A lot of men in their fifties are having trouble with ED and some think that a younger hottie is the only one that will do it for them.
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/19/2017 8:01:06 PM
think that many carry baggage from past with them into the present
that romance and dating sounds like work
but yet they would still like the rewards of a relationship such as
affection, intimacy and someone to listen to them when they talk about their day
 shonesy
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/19/2017 10:02:07 PM
Lightingapath4you, I think you are gorgeous, and I think most of my chats have been too far from me, and I haven't got the time to spend, on a long distant because I have one day off a fortnight. While I have teenagers, I still have 2 to be close to home to and it restricts my social life. I have a job, that no one can relieve me... I am now looking to a future, when the kids are not here, one day...It is pretty lonely and difficult to trust many people, online too?
 hemingway234
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/20/2017 8:44:37 AM

Dating in your 50's and 60's - Are the ratio men to women balanced in that age range?

- No. There are less men than women at that age, so it gets harder for women, but easier for men.

It's biology 101 again - women live longer than men.
 Maleman999
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/20/2017 9:50:47 AM
^^^If there are more single/widowed women in their late 70's, 80's and 90's than men, it doesn't sound like much of an advantage for men.
 daynadaze
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2017 10:12:22 AM
I think people use all kinds of excuses to cover their insecurities, the fact is, there are lots of people out there looking to meet you, so stop getting in your own way. Sure there are people you might be attracted to who are not attracted to you, that's been going on since the day you were born, but if you hide behind those people as proof that there's no one to date, then you don't really want to meet someone. It's a lot easier to blame others, than to look yourself in the mirror, say this is me and it's fine, and then go out there and find someone. The longer the lists of reasons why you can't meet someone is just the deeper into excuses you are. Who cares if Joe or Jane Blow isn't attracted to you, there are lots of people who are. Stop wasting your time, stop trying to make every meet a relationship, and stop thinking you can't get someone because you are this or look like that, etc., work with what you have and be open to what others have in common with you. You don't have to meet/date/be with someone you don't like, that's wasting your time too. Why would you want to get with someone who isn't attracted to you?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2017 8:39:19 PM
^^^^^ Can I be confused now? Or, are you going to leave us in the dark?
 daynadaze
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2017 8:46:00 PM
What? Sure be confused it you choose to be.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2017 4:31:32 PM
Back in the dark ages before online dating, I placed an ad in the "personals". They were popular then. My long term bf and I were done. I was 40 and determined this would be the last New Years Eve I would spend alone.
I never lie in these things..what's the point? He's going to see I am short, squat, wear glasses, don't look like Barbie. I was brutally honest about myself. I got between 40 and 50 messages. I was so overwhelmed, I only went out with 2. One wasn't my type. The other was but we both were suddenly busy and then I met someone IRL.
The thing is, I've always been short. Glasses. Now chunky or more. There's always a reason why Not. Too short. Too heavy. Glasses. Too old. Etc. But I've found, at every time of my life there are those who don't care about those things. It's just harder to find them. I do better IRL because of my personality. I know..the ultimate turnoff..... But...there you go....or not.
I just got back from a Mardi Gras ball. I look horrid in the pics. Old. Fat(ter). Ugh. But, a guy I've known since high school saw a pic and thought I looked great. And I can tell he means it. There's hope. I just have to keep at it. Get out of my shell and apt. Back IRL. Not with him. He's married and we are SO not a match....but still.
 trueprincessofthelake
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/27/2017 2:19:13 PM
Wow, happy that so many contributed to my post and questions.
Thank you.

I would like to say that, it's not about excuses or sympathy. It's about reality. To ever said why shoul it be easy? I say why not.
Not easy in that you just buy a pair of shoes. But that people are sincere and honest and truly looking for connection.
I can support myself. I don't need a man,,,I want one. One to hold, one to share and one to be my best friend.
I simply wondered if others felt that with age, dating is more challenging.

After all we are on pof for ????

Judy
 Maleman999
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/27/2017 4:29:28 PM

I don't need a man,,,I want one.

I've seen this statement a number of times, but it's ambiguous at best. If you were to meet Mr. Right, would you tell him "I don't need you, but I like having you around"? I get what you're saying-that you're self sufficient. But I think in a real relationship where all of the stars line up, the two people should feel a small amount of need for each other, without being clingy and overbearing.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/27/2017 4:34:27 PM
Menopause is a b!tch for some.

Some are man haters and others are duller then milquetoast.

Apathetic as fvck

I tell ya, when I meet 'em, I feel like I'm competing for the position of last good man on Earth...
 Ouija2025
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/27/2017 5:01:20 PM
Thought you already met someone and were no longer dating????
Did I miss a chapter
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/27/2017 5:29:15 PM
I am, but her hot flashes are intense...
 Ouija2025
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/27/2017 6:08:22 PM
Maybe cause you so hoT?
Don;t post her private business
I sailed past Hateopause
polite golf clapping
One word
Tofu
 Chromis1
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2017 9:56:44 PM

I am,

Then the tenses here are all messed up:

I tell ya, when I meet 'em, I feel like I'm competing for the position of last good man on Earth.

S/B:

I tell ya, when I met 'em, I felt like I was competing for the position of last good man on Earth.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2017 10:44:42 PM
People in OLD are their own worst enemy. This is not meant to attack men, it's just what I have experienced. I'm sure women do things wrong too.

Of all the dates I had, about 50% of the men dressed poorly, old worn out t-shirts. WTH, you want to announce at first look how unwilling you are to make any effort at all? And I show up in nicely fitting jeans, pretty blouse, a light touch of makeup, clean long flowing hair. Then half of them acted like they were above me, excuse me!? A couple walked away from our meet without even saying goodbye. After having pleasant interesting conversation for over an hour. OK, you don't want to see me again, but you can't say thanks, or have a nice day? And no, I do not weigh 300lbs. I'd say most of my meets they recognized me easily from my photo, but theirs was too blurry, so I wasn't sure. One guy I took to the symphony, I had free tickets and choose to take him for our first meet instead of a GF. He decided we weren't a match, OK. But he didn't even bother to thank me. Before we met he carried on about how well he would treat me and what a gentleman he was. Yeah.

Several times I met men who it seemed to me we could have a good time together. We had fun on a first meet, talking, laughing, a warm feeling between us. But they didn't want a second date. They lost out IMO.

It's hard all right. After about 2 years of OLD, I started getting messages from men who had brushed me off 2 years ago. They didn't remember me from the first time, or they did and tried to pretend it ended differently. The ones who didnt remember me obviously are in the early stages of dementia, not attractive. One man made a date on Friday evening to meet me on Saturday afternoon. When I got there he told me he couldn't remember who he was meeting.

So you have defeatist attitudes, rudeness, dementia...

And I'm not going to bother talking about the drunks, or the ones who insist the right way to date is to have sex first, and decide after if there will be a relationship.

I finally met someone in October 2015. His profile was not attractive to me. But when he wrote to me he was polite. We talked a lot on the phone, then we met. We have some political differences, but he's not angry or obnoxious about his views. So I have accepted him the way he is, when I thought that was not possible. We feel comfortable together, we have fun. Most people assume we are married and have been together for a long time.

My advice is to give someone a chance.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2017 11:09:36 PM
I don't care if people "lose out". I care if they are nice, if they are honest, if they have interesting stories to tell, and want to have more interesting adventures. If they are stuck in "I hate this, that, the other thing, and anything you mention" mode, then NO I would not want to meet them again.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2017 11:09:54 PM
It would depend on where you live what the ratio would be. A lot of women nowadays go for the younger man and can get them.
 Walts
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/28/2017 5:20:27 AM

And I'm not going to bother talking about the drunks,

:(

No one wants to talk about me anymore, which saddens me and kinda makes me wonder why I even get all sloshed up, put on my best pair of crocs and get out for a night on the town.

I think it maybe time to just grab the rod and hit a river,,,,,,

for the rest of my life.

Fear not though, the whiskey will always be within arms reach.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/28/2017 6:30:48 AM
I thought I was funny :/ Did you know some cultures value broken porcelain more? They repair it with gold
I see what you did there btw

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.

Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating in your 50's and 60's.