Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What good things has Trump accomplished?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 4926
hey, did anyone get fired today?Page 198 of 216    (176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216)
well, its been commented before, but we'll do it again. One, D would rail against the rich having to pay more for things b/c they are rich. But number two, does it really hurt the PO, which is already hurt by email and a forcing to pay for retirement benefits before they have been drawn? Is Chump's nonsense more about the Washington Post?

"Trump has repeatedly advanced this theory, even though officials have explained to him that Amazon’s contracts with the Postal Service are profitable for the agency."
"The president also incorrectly conflated Amazon with The Post and made clear that his attacks on the retailer were inspired by his disdain for the newspaper’s coverage. He labeled the newspaper “the Fake Washington Post” and demanded that it register as a lobbyist for Amazon. The Post is personally owned by Jeffrey P. Bezos, the founder and chief executive of Amazon, and operates independently of Amazon."
"In fact, Amazon does collect taxes on products it sells to customers in the 45 states that have sales taxes, although items sold by third-party vendors may have different arrangements. "
"But White House officials have struggled to back up Trump’s theories about the retailer. Asked why Trump thinks Amazon is hurting the Postal Service when experts say it ships so many packages it helps keep the Postal Service in business, Walters offered no explanation."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-accuses-amazon-of-post-office-scam-falsely-says-the-post-is-its-lobbyist/2018/03/31/b9878164-34e2-11e8-94fa-32d48460b955_story.html?utm_term=.8e6bb0b163d2

its just a lot of hot air, as usual from Chump--didn't he used to yap about helping American business, not hurting it? Meanwhile there was a workplace shooting at YouTube yesterday, I wonder if they'll continue with their NRA ads before most videos.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 4927
hey, did anyone get fired today?
Posted: 4/4/2018 7:14:05 AM
Shouldn't there be some sort of law for the President to take on these companies and because of his spreading of misinformation....they lose millions?
Of course, it's personal with him...He's so full of shit.

If not for companies like Amazon...the Post Offices of the world wouldn't exist.
According to the Post Office they charge Amazon the same rates, as they do other companies.
So Trump is spreading bullshit ....as usual.
Believe me there are many of these companies that use postal service....besides Amazon.
 LDC9999
Msg: 4928
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2018 7:30:04 AM
What DT does not seem to understand (or remember) is that when corporations (such as ‘Amazon HQ2’ - google it) negotiate various segments of their operations, they put out a basic list of their requirements. Interested cities often waive property taxes for a fixed numbers of years, local suppliers do the same on rates for services they will provide - to help new corporations set up shop.

Could it be that the US Postal Office had negotiated such a deal with whatever city they run their business?

Rumour has it that there’s a book that was published a few years ago entitled ‘The Art of the Deal’. Maybe someone should send a copy to DT. I wonder if it’s available on Amazon?
 NewYorker58
Msg: 4929
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2018 5:16:34 PM
Mustang, I thought it wasn't discussed and I'd help your thread along by providing something to comment about since arguing may be down to a minimum that you all enjoy due to deletions of Dee, Kj, not sure who else☺

I can't bring myself to read a link from the Washington Post. How can it not be slanted towards their beliefs? I can tell you my dem governor (that halted the death penalty), weighed in since Amazon is a big employer and headquartered here, and he said Amazon helps small businesses. I just spoke to a small business owner that said they're selling his products at a huge discount and hurting him. People are saying they offer too many part-time jobs to avoid offering benefits.

All I've heard on the news is that the P.O. is not losing money, nothing about profiting.
 daynadaze
Msg: 4930
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2018 5:20:18 PM
Just like Trump voters would have still voted for him had he murdered an innocent stranger, in the street, right in front of everyone, he knows his voters are going to believe anything he says, like this Amazon crap. Trump knows his voters, he knows them very well.
 ja6425
Msg: 4931
Posted: 4/4/2018 5:37:21 PM
New Yorker, our governor jay is terrible, just like the seattle city council. Throw in our AG and we have a mess of a government in our state.
 funchesf
Msg: 4932
Posted: 4/4/2018 6:11:54 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I don't mean to disrupt this board like I usually do with my non stop babbling. I know I have issues and I am working on them, seeking Redemption through the Lord. Please have patience. Regards babbling fun
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 4933
What good things has Trump accomplished?
Posted: 4/4/2018 11:52:06 PM

GDP is almost twice as much in 2017 as it was in 2016. Whether you like trump or not, you can't deny that. Obama's figures in 2016 were dismal.

Afraid I'm a bit confused by this. Care to clarify?

United States (USA) GDP - Gross Domestic Product 2017 ...
https://countryeconomy.com/gdp/usa

The GDP figure in the forth quarter of 2017 was $4,934,123 million, leaving United States placed 0th in the ranking of quarterly GDP of the 49 countries that we publish. United States has a quarterly GDP per capita, of $12,969, less than the same period last year, when it was $13,557 .
 voltata
Msg: 4934
Posted: 4/5/2018 5:42:07 AM
"""GDP is almost twice as much in 2017 as it was in 2016. Whether you like trump or not, you can't deny that. Obama's figures in 2016 were dismal."""

John misspoke somehow...not sure what he meant to say, but this makes zero sense. Even GDP percentag growth is not close to doubling.. virtually the same.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 4935
Posted: 4/5/2018 6:06:33 AM
oh, debate is appreciated, it avoids the forums from turning into an echo chamber :) You are right, I should have picked a source other than the WP, I just grabbed the first that came up.

"Despite the president’s claims that these online retailers are creating a loss for the Postal Service, Amazon and other e-commerce sites have been helping to stanch the Post Office’s declining cashflow. Shipping and package revenue is on track to surpass first-class mail revenue. The Post Office itself said that e-commerce was helping to keep it afloat. Amazon has also pointed out that the Postal Regulatory Commission has found the USPS’s contract with Amazon to be profitable, the New York Times reported."

http://fortune.com/2018/03/29/donald-trump-post-office-amazon-losing-money/

"In 2006, a lame-duck Congress mandated that the Postal Service pre-fund retiree health benefits. No other agency or company in the country has to pre-fund for even one year; the Postal Service must pre-fund 75 years’ worth of these benefits in advance. That $5.6 billion annual charge is the “red ink.” Without this unique and unfair burden, the narrative would be as follows: Here’s a government entity that, with no taxpayer money, and faced with a still soft economy plus the growing reach of the Internet, once again earned a billion dollar-plus operating profit."

https://hotair.com/archives/2016/02/10/dont-look-now-but-the-post-office-just-turned-a-profit/

Halting the death penalty brings up an issue I think i mentioned before--Chump wanted to follow the Phillipines lead and kill drug dealers. But besides it possibly interfering with "states rights", doesn't the country suffer from a lack of the lethal c0cktail to do it? I think our European source dried up.

"he said Amazon helps small business. a small biz owner says it hurts him."

>>>I can understand there are winners and losers. Sears and Roebuck killed ma and pa general stores back in the 1920s or so with their catalog, and Amazon certainly helped to bump them off now (along with massive debt). then there's the issue of part time jobs and few bennies. WalMart does the same. its a pity the best thing offered to people not in the IT business is part time schlepping. I'm not sure of any other low price (in order to survive) business that will offer full time and bennies.

on an unrelated issue, i'm not a fan of automated driving cars. if you don't want to drive, then take public transport. Automated cars do not reduce traffic nor pollution, so what problem are they solving? I do like safety equipment like lane departure warnings and such, but automated cars reminds me of when my father was helping Boeing automate factories--he wanted to see what computers could do, and didn't consider the lost jobs. out in blue sky country, where its just you, one 18 wheeler, and the jackrabbits on the road, yeah, maybe automated cars make sense as it takes you 2 hours to get to the grocery store.
 gingerosity
Msg: 4936
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2018 6:58:12 AM

Automated cars do not reduce traffic nor pollution, so what problem are they solving?

Fully automated vehicles are aiming to solve the big problem of having to pay people to operate them. Trains, buses, taxis, trucks, vans, tractors, diggers, cranes, forklifts, planes, ships.

Automated cars (besides taxis) are a sideshow for the next 5-10 years or so until the tech really matures. Then things get more interesting when car ownership declines precipitously as the ubiquity of fully autonomous taxis makes car ownership relatively costly in comparison. Sharing is inherently more efficient than having cars sitting in garages and parking lots 90% of the time. That means fewer resources will need to be dug up by the robots in mines and shipped autonomously around the world to the factories where robots make the cars to be trucked autonomously to automated distrubution centres around the country. And with fewer cars to be produced, less power will be needed at each step in the supply chain, meaning fewer power plants need to be built, fewer resources need mining to build them... and so on.

Billions of people will be freed from repetitive, unfulfilling work for the rest of human existence. The cost of lots of things will be slightly reduced. Company profits will increase accordingly, and older shareholders will become more wealthy. Wages across the board will decline in real terms. Welfare systems will be overwhelmed by younger non-shareholders until the population level reaches a new equilibrium. Attempts at revolution will be ruthlessly crushed by autonomous police forces and social media trawlers.

Also people will be able to drink coffee and post on facebook in stylish comfort on their autonomous commute.
 voltata
Msg: 4937
Posted: 4/5/2018 7:04:51 AM
This from stockman earlier this week:

Likewise, the market's post-election rip has nothing to do with a putative Trump economic boom because there hasn't been one. A 2.0% or lower real GDP growth rate is now virtually baked into the cake for Q1 based on the economic releases to date. That would amount to a $75 billion gain over the Q4 annualized level of real GDP.

Accordingly, the first five quarters of the Trump Economy will have generated an average real GDP gain of $102 billion per quarter. Then again, during the previous three years (2014-2016) the quarterly growth rate was $99 billion per quarter.

We'd call that a distinction without a difference. Indeed, the notion that there has been some-kind of Trump fostered economic acceleration is, well, Fake News.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 4938
Posted: 4/5/2018 7:22:49 AM
"Fully automated vehicles are aiming to solve the big problem of having to pay people to operate them. Trains, buses, taxis, trucks, vans, tractors, diggers, cranes, forklifts, planes, ships."

>>>excellent point. But what does this do to the labor force? :) Tho if it replaces coal miners, then fewer get trapped in cave-ins and die young of black lung. Maybe more deliveries will be done by drone rather than truck. White collar desk riders may work from home more, cutting commuting--and probably losing face to face networking skills as well.

It would be neat, if automated vehicles can self diagnose problems, and drive their own selves to the garage after dinner when there's less traffic on the road, and return home in time for the morning commute :) As for building fewer cars, 1 in 6 Americans rely on the auto industry for income. Of course, there's human nature...how old is your cellphone? :) We replace things all the time for the shiny new one with more options.

so, the Chump economy made a billion more, well, sending troops to the border cost previous administrations $1.3 billion, so don't measure for new drapes just yet

"But the idea of deploying the National Guard to help enforcement along the border is nothing new. President George W. Bush and President Barack Obama both did it, in two operations that cost a total of more than $1.3 billion."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/03/politics/border-troops-deployed-obama-bush/index.html
 gingerosity
Msg: 4939
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2018 7:49:43 AM

But what does this do to the labor force?

Refer to paragraph 3 of my previous post. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of very low-paying work for young people to do that is uneconomic to automate.

Of course, there's human nature...how old is your cellphone? :) We replace things all the time for the shiny new one with more options.

I'm on cellphone #4. So 36/4 is averaging 9 years apiece so far.
 ja6425
Msg: 4940
Posted: 4/5/2018 8:23:12 AM
GDP quarter 4 in 2016..........1.8%

GDP quarter 4 2017..........2.9%
 voltata
Msg: 4941
Posted: 4/5/2018 9:21:10 AM
U.S. economic growth slowed slightly more than initially thought in the fourth quarter as the strongest pace of consumer spending in three years drew in imports and depleted inventories.

Gross domestic product expanded at a 2.5 percent annual rate in the final three months of 2017, instead of the previously reported 2.6 percent pace, the Commerce Department said in its second GDP estimate on Wednesday. That was a deceleration from the third quarter's brisk 3.2 percent pace.

The downward revision to the fourth-quarter GDP growth estimate largely reflected a smaller inventory build than previously reported. It was in line with economists' expectations.

The economy appears to have lost further momentum at the start of the year, with recent data showing retail sales, home sales, durable goods orders and industrial production declining in January. In addition, the goods trade deficit widened last month as exports fell.
 ja6425
Msg: 4942
Posted: 4/5/2018 1:20:27 PM
"Gross domestic product expanded at a 2.5 percent annual rate in the final three months of 2017"

Looks like you may be looking at either "old" or some liberal news you are relying on^^^^^^^^^^

Here ya go: Gross domestic product expanded at a 2.9 percent annual rate in the final three months of 2017, instead of the previously reported 2.5 percent, the Commerce Department said.
 voltata
Msg: 4943
Posted: 4/5/2018 1:37:42 PM
source?

Link?

ja6425
Msg: 4944
Posted: 4/5/2018 1:41:50 PM
^^^^^^^US Department of Commerce
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 4945
Posted: 4/5/2018 1:57:20 PM
***Search Results
US Economy Grew at 2.6% Rate in Fourth Quarter - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/26/business/economy/gdp-economy.html
Jan 26, 2018 - 2016. 2017. %. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. 0. 2.6%. 4Q. '17. Annual rate of change in the gross domestic product is based on quarterly figures and adjusted for inflation ... The fourth-quarter estimate will be revised twice in the next couple of months, and it could increase or drop by as much as a percentage point, based on ...***

In any case, even 2.9 is NOT twice as much as 1.8%. Nor, just for future reference is the GDP the same as the *growth rate* of the GDP. Two entirely different cats.

Stocks Post Worst Q1 Since Great Depression | Investopedia
https://www.investopedia.com/news/stocks-post-worst-q1-great-depression/

2 days ago - While the first quarter of 2018 injected a spike of volatility into the nine-year bull market, the second quarter is shaping up to look just as ugly as the first with U.S. equities on track to have their worst April start since 1929, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. (See also: Hunker Down for a Turbulent Q2: ...
 ja6425
Msg: 4946
Posted: 4/5/2018 2:09:44 PM
"In any case, even 2.9 is NOT twice as much as 1.8%"

Good deduction wooby...... Your reading comprehension needs some work. "Almost" is NOT the same as saying something is "exact". You and vollata, trying so hard to squash facts. Vollata needing a link.......good one! You two need to step away from your media news and/or just accept facts, no matter where they come from. You are welcome
 chameleonf
Msg: 4947
Posted: 4/5/2018 2:18:53 PM
lmfao...yup, John - and "almost" being intelligent is also not the same thing as "actually" being intelligent.
 voltata
Msg: 4948
Posted: 4/5/2018 2:20:50 PM
Weren't there a few disasters in the Fourth Quarter...Hurricanes... Floods, etc. Is it a surprise the GDP was up that quarter?

http://charleshughsmith.blogspot.com/2017/10/gdp-is-bogus-heres-why.html

Before hurricane:
wealth = (house + car) - (home debt + car debt)
After hurricane, you rebuild your house, and buy a new car, using borrowed money:
wealth = (house + car) - (2 x home debt + 2 x car debt)
Wealth (equity) has declined by the sum (home debt + car debt)
 ja6425
Msg: 4949
Posted: 4/5/2018 2:27:53 PM
Exactly Chame, you should relay that to woobs!
 voltata
Msg: 4950
Posted: 4/5/2018 2:30:12 PM

I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I don't mean to disrupt this board like I usually do with my non stop babbling. I know I have issues and I am working on them, seeking Redemption through the Lord. Please have patience. Regards babbling fun

I didn't want to forget to wish the best to babbling funchesf .... so sorry you are taking an extended vacation (not) :-) ROFLMAO
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What good things has Trump accomplished?