Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men Over 70      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Men Over 70Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

They want immediate phone conversations or an immediate photo, or anything other than friendly correspondence on POF to get to know each other better.

This is pretty age-universal, if someone's going to invest any time in someone else... they'll want to see a picture. And if not right off the bat, they'll want to at least Hear the physical realm (phone call). Most people don't want blind pen pals to "start" things. You have to Respect that, as it's Normal not to want to go down that road at first. :)
 five-marie
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/21/2017 3:13:28 PM
I usually like to message for a bit but did once give my number to a man who wanted it. Beware! Obviously he had out talked everyone else he had ever known and needed more people to listen to his boring monologue. On and on for over an hour. "My cousin, he's 65? 66? Can't really remember. He's on my mothers side. Blah, blah, on and on about people I didn't know. Thought I was going lose my mind before I could get him off the phone.
Lot of lonely people just want someone to listen to them.
Why I stick to my messaging for a week or so, sorts most out.
 moraima
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/21/2017 3:33:30 PM
"Why I stick to my messaging for a week or so, sorts most out."

Totally agree.

I am not getting into cold call situations. That is something I learned in datingland. 99% of people I don't want to talk to on phone for various reasons. If he can't be bothered to message for a few days to see if we have common ground to move onto phone calls, I am okay with him rejecting me.
 JanetPY
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/22/2017 9:57:29 AM
I've found lots of older men who will communicate for a while. People are lonely. They just want to reach out to connect with someone.

Yet most men still have one thing in mind. If they can still get it up, they don't want a long term chat companion only. To this day, I can't say exactly why men feel this way, except that it is genetics. I've had a lot of women friends, who have lost their long term mates, who say they are absolutely not interested in finding a new partner requiring intimacy. I've heard them say 'they want no further part of that'. So they have lots of women friends. And statistics say they may live longer.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/24/2017 8:03:49 PM
I like enough correspondence to see if I like someone enough before the phone calls, but phone calls are better than the written word where things can be misconstrued. Like others have said, it could also be an age thing. They're not comfortable with writing, and maybe they think talking is better and it really is.
 Akitahun
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/24/2017 11:11:21 PM
Men in their 70's need to stop being delusional and contacting women 20 years younger. We are still in the workforce and have a life. No need for a daddy figure!
 ebolakitty
Msg: 32
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/25/2017 7:34:55 AM

Men in their 70's need to stop being delusional and contacting women 20 years younger. We are still in the workforce and have a life. No need for a daddy figure!

Well, I guess you could always write your congressman.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 33
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/25/2017 7:42:33 AM

You could always bring it up with President Trump. I'm sure he'll take your complaint under advisement.
 Like2dance
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/25/2017 7:58:21 AM

Men in their 70's need to stop being delusional and contacting women 20 years younger.

But what should men in their 70's do when contacted by great looking women 20 or more years younger?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 35
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/25/2017 8:06:34 AM
^^^How come every time I see one of your posts I'm reminded of a
Christmas turkey?
 spot4username
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/25/2017 8:44:41 AM

So the person who is lying about her age is complaining about people being delusional?

People like you are one of the reasons that people like me don't care for OLD. Liars muck up the pond. You make it more difficult for all the honest people.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/25/2017 7:59:38 PM
I have seen so many men lie about their age. I guess after getting caught so often, they update their profile and say it's wrong and they can't change it. They say it was an accident, lol???? It's really pathetic! I'm sure they lie about their height also.
 debbiedunn
Msg: 38
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/27/2017 3:47:37 AM
I do not want to write or talk in the phone if I am interested. I want to meet and see the man.
 spot4username
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/27/2017 7:37:08 AM

I do not want to write or talk in the phone if I am interested. I want to meet and see the man.

Yes. I am like this also. This is the main reason why OLD is not a good fit for me. I don't care for multiple messages back and forth and I detest speaking on the phone. If I do share a few messages with a man I always suggest meeting. Just a cup of coffee or happy hour somewhere convenient for both of us. No pressure. Most vanish or drag their feet at that point. I am not interested in time wasters and honestly don't have the attention span for all that back and forth nonsense. Witty banter is so much better in person!

I have had profiles on OLD for well over a decade. I believe my first ventures were '05. I have connected with very few men this way. I would say that 95% of the men that I have gone out with have been men that I have met in person. I have always considered OLD another iron in the fire, especially since I live in such a small town, but it isn't for everyone.
 ohenryx
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 5/29/2017 11:21:35 AM
I’ve been away a while, nice new picture, Boo!

NewYorker58, I was going to drop you a line and compliment you on that long beautiful hair, but you have a 75 mile limit on your profile.

spot4username
This is the main reason why OLD is not a good fit for me.

I have had profiles on OLD for well over a decade. I believe my first ventures were '05. I have connected with very few men this way. I would say that 95% of the men that I have gone out with have been men that I have met in person. I have always considered OLD another iron in the fire, especially since I live in such a small town, but it isn't for everyone.

I seem to recall that you live on some remote island? Yes, just checked your profile, an island. And you have stated before that this makes it very difficult for you to have initial meetings, due to geography?

There is no point in blaming your dating woes on OLD, when geography is the culprit. Many people have noted here on these forums, if you live in the middle of nowhere, your options are going to be very limited. Very.

You are a very attractive woman, I’m sure if you lived in a more populated area, your dance card would be full!
 Camile2099
Msg: 41
Men Over 70
Posted: 6/1/2017 12:21:29 PM

Also, w/o pics posted, your chances are slim and none. About the same as being struck by lightning while being bitten by a Great White shark. It's just that simple. You are in a COMPETITION against most ladies who WILL have pics posted.
I'm just the messenger here.
To have any prayer at all, you are going to have to send the first messages.

Those who give detailed advice on how to manage your posts or life haven’t been successful in finding their match either or they wouldn’t be on this site giving out advice. In my OP, I was referring to responding to older men who have contacted me first, and there have been plenty of them.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 42
Men Over 70
Posted: 6/1/2017 11:50:55 PM

Msg: 31

So, if your age listed (49) is not correct, how old are you?

"I am NOT in the market for anyone old enough to be my father. The age listed is not correct. Just trying to bypass the ageists. If you won't date someone your own age or a few years older, you could be missing out on a really great woman. (like me!) If you are seriously looking for someone 20 years younger I will not even consider you."

In other words, you would not consider someone looking for a younger woman, yet you are lying in your profile claiming to be a younger woman?
 Maleman999
Msg: 43
Men Over 70
Posted: 6/2/2017 4:41:43 AM

I seem to recall that you live on some remote island? Yes, just checked your profile, an island. And you have stated before that this makes it very difficult for you to have initial meetings, due to geography?

Isn't Gilligan, Skipper, or the Professor single?
 spot4username
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 6/2/2017 5:16:38 AM
First, thank you Henry for the nice compliment.

There is no point in blaming your dating woes on OLD

I believe you misunderstand me. I don't have "dating woes". I just know what does and does not work for me. OLD is not a good fit for me. Every so often I will make a profile active and it doesn't take long to remember this isn't the best venue for me. I do fine in the real world (when I chose to). No issues meeting actual flesh and blood men. The trick is mutual mental and physical attraction!

when geography is the culprit.

Yes. I have stated many times in this forum as well as others that OLD on any particular site varies. Different ages in different locations are more active than others. A lot of times it all comes down to geography. Another reason I believe OLD should just be another iron in the fire.

very difficult for you to have initial meetings, due to geography?

If I want to confine those meeting to my small town - yes. I have never done that. In fact I much prefer to "get off the island" when dating. Dating on the island is very incestuous. I can't imagine choosing to only look for dates here. It would never happen. Just yesterday a friend was texting me and he indicated that it is cancer here. He is a transplant. He moved here and a few years later got divorced and then majorly played the tiny local field. And now he has already declared the area cancer! lololol I have been here over 20 years. I just laughed at/with him.

Isn't Gilligan, Skipper, or the Professor single?

I'll take the professor please and thank you!!!
 Camile2099
Msg: 45
Men Over 70
Posted: 6/10/2017 11:38:50 AM

The first vetting of a woman's profile by men of any age is via its photos. No pics, no reply or attempted contact, as the case may be. I never, ever reply to a woman not having a few nice photos up on her profile.

How's your technique working out for you? You've been on here 4 years and haven't found a permanent mate. When I said I'm willing to correspond with them, it was with those who had made the initial contact with me, and there are many who make initial contact with those with no public pics.
 U21984
Msg: 46
Men Over 70
Posted: 7/17/2017 5:02:18 AM
The men over 70 can have pretty much every female forum poster. Go for it, silver racers. We gladly cede all to your approach!

LOL!!!!!!
 U21984
Msg: 47
Men Over 70
Posted: 7/17/2017 5:04:12 AM
=Blah, blah, on and on about people I didn't know. Thought I was going lose my mind before I could get him off the phone.=

haha Man, that does sound soooo stereotypical. Perhaps he would like a nice church/worship service.
 U21984
Msg: 48
Men Over 70
Posted: 7/17/2017 5:08:28 AM
=Men in their 70's need to stop being delusional =

Cougar! Cougar!! Cougar!!!!!
 newstart1949
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 7/20/2017 8:44:32 PM
First off never give up, there just might be that one special person out there whether you're 50, 60, 70 89 or ??.

Secondly what is it with men that feel that if you respond or message them very next step they want is a call. Yes I know I can block my number very easily. But what is wrong with a bit of on-line communication for a couple of days or so to get a feeling for each other.

Thirdly--Yes I am one of those that do believe that meeting sooner rather than later. Ideally I would like to message on POF for a a couple days(I'm talking conversations, not just a couple of one-liners). Then move on to emails, & with a meet within a week no more than two weeks.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Men Over 70
Posted: 7/21/2017 8:35:50 AM

I’m surprised at the number of men over 70 on here, and their lack of communication. I’m willing to correspond with them and get to know them, but they all want something different than my response.

My marriage ended 7 years ago. I used dating sites to contact guys, and just talk, as a way to learn. Many were 70 or so. I've made non-local friends, some I still am in contact with, some through facebook. It has been a way to learn what goes on in other communities, and where we had common interests, sometimes things of interest are still shared.

In early dating, I soon found that those who pushed for the early coffee date, had early sex in mind. Seriously, was I looking to hop in bed with a stranger? Some even said they wanted to meet to see if there was 'chemistry'. I got so sick of these types, that I soon refused to have coffee dates, they were a waste of time.

It really depends on the individual. Some have good written communication skills, others do not.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men Over 70